• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I have a sick feeling in my stomach watching Holden being taken out. I pray it is just too keep him from getting seriously hurt. He's already lost several years of playing time.

Bsigg12

We (the US) keep trying to force the ball. Once we move it in we swing it back out then try to get it to someone with 4 guys around him.

I love when officials don't understand the handball rule.

Did you go to the american school of black and white?

There are three types of handballs

1 ) Unintentional, cant be avoided, player wasnt even looking at ball (ie, what happened)
---No card, no penalty
2) Mostly unintentional but player could have done more to avoid it, or player was being careless (ie, waving hands around)
---Penalty, maybe a yellow, maybe no card depending on ref interpretation
3) Intentional
---Penalty and red

Slizz

1 ) Unintentional, cant be avoided, player wasnt even looking at ball (ie, what happened)
---No card, no penalty
2) Mostly unintentional but player could have done more to avoid it, or player was being careless (ie, waving hands around)
3) Intentional
---Penalty and red

He made himself larger with his arm out though didn't he? His eyes were clearly on the play.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I love when americans dont understand the handball rule

I love when Mexicans have to watch Gold Cup finals without their team in it.

---No card, no penalty
3) Intentional
---Penalty and red

His arms were stretched out pretty wide.

Rhaegar

---No card, no penalty
3) Intentional
---Penalty and red

You are, in fact, referring to the play that fell under category 2? And yes, we Americans are simple folk who can't understand nuance.

He made himself larger with his arm out though didn't he? His eyes were clearly on the play.

He was running away from it, and from what I saw, he was already looking ahead, not bad/side where the ball was coming from.

Id have to see it again, but obviously the ref doesnt get a replay, and thats what it looked like.

I just get tired of people saying "IT TOUCHED HIS HAND THATS A PENALTY RED HANDBALL WAAAA"

When thats not the rule.

---No card, no penalty
3) Intentional
---Penalty and red

The rule changed a while ago mang. "Intent" has nothing to do with it. Now, there needs to be a "deliberate" motion of the hand/arm that results in a handball - that includes deliberately making yourself "bigger" to cause a handball. Intent has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Also, the level of deliberateness has nothing to do with whether there is a yellow or red card. A yellow card is given if the handball was a tactical foul or if it constituted "un-sportmanship conduct." A red is given if it "denies a clear goal scoring opportunity."

Make sure you know the rules next time before you are condescending.

Edit: I didn't see the handball here, so you may be right that it was not deliberate (and you are indeed right if he was running away and the ball hit his arm), but I'm just correcting your characterization of the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom