• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
I can't believe people still hate on Landon Donovan at so many different soccer forums, specifically at bigsoccer. Pretty damn hilarious that people can be such huge trolls lol

NoRéN

I can't believe people still hate on Landon Donovan at so many different soccer forums, specifically at bigsoccer. Pretty damn hilarious that people can be such huge trolls lol

Which makes his performance this tournament so much better.

I still laugh when i think of whoever the hell it was on GAF saying that Landon was easily replaceable after their loss to Ghana.

daoster

As somebody who is--how should I say it--ambivalent about Landon, I think that article pretty much perfectly captures how I feel about him, and why I may dislike him, and it's true. He represents a part of US Soccer "culture," that I don't particular care for.

And yet, I know this is a guy who's served his clubs and country loyally for all his adult life, and he is probably the most talented American player we have ever produced.

But then I compare him to somebody like a Clint Dempsey, who had a wildly different upbringing and soccer career, and who I guess when it comes down to it is really an anti-Donovan, the attitude and grit of a player matters to me.

I dream of what could have been, if Donovan had cared a little more about building a legacy, if he had stayed in Europe to fight for a spot when he was in Germany, or if he had continued at Everton past his short loan stint, what could have been?

But at the same time, I recognize, yes...the guy has a right to his life, a right for happiness for himself above playing soccer or being the face of American soccer, or any of that other stuff, a right to being just Landon Donovan, the person.

Conflicting feelings indeed, that was a great article.

Atlagev

"Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 27m

Source: CONCACAF announcement on possible Klinsmann suspension may not come until Saturday."

What a fucking joke of a federation we have...

"Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 27m

Source: CONCACAF announcement on possible Klinsmann suspension may not come until Saturday."

What a fucking joke of a federation we have...

Seriously...they are just making him wait for the sake of waiting. I expect him to be on the sidelines on Sunday. They just want to flex their muscles a little bit (what little they have).

It really only should take about 15-20 minutes to just look at everything and be like "eh, he got pissed but didn't do anything crazy...he can coach on Sunday."

daoster

Seriously...they are just making him wait for the sake of waiting. I expect him not to be on the sidelines on Sunday. They just want to flex their muscles a little bit (what little they have).

It really only should take about 15-20 minutes to just look at everything and be like "eh, he coaches those American dogs...he can't coach on Sunday."

Fixed.

CobbFC09

I've seen him play a couple of times for Hertha on bad streams. He's a big kid, but he can handle the ball reasonably well and is quicker than you'd think. I'm curious what Sciaretta says about him, though I do take Brian's comments with a grain of salt since it seems like he leans in favor of anyone that plays abroad these days. Let us know if he says anything interesting.
Brian called him a "game changer," which I thought was interesting given how young the guy is. He really must be the real deal.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Our defense is pretty thin at times and so so any interesting player with lots of potential will be called a game changer. He had a good season in the 2. Bundesliga and I hope he builds on that.I'm hoping he does decide to play for the US.

- Brian Phillips on Landon Donovan for Grantland: Crying Out Loud

Jesus that picture.....

26fash-slide3.jpg

Nesotenso

i just went to the mexican section of bigsoccer. LOL Their obsession with the US is neurotic LOL

I visit opposing fan forums when they lose. It feels great to engage in schadenfreude from time to time, especially when it comes to rival sports teams. I stay away from the Mexico sub forum on big soccer because it doesn't offer any rational discussion when it comes to the US.

I know that coaches are aware Big Soccer or at least Bob Bradley. Great resource to keep tabs on American players. Diskerud posts there as well.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I visit opposing fan forums when they lose. It feels great to engage in schadenfreude from time to time, especially when it comes to rival sports teams. I stay away from the Mexico sub forum on big soccer because it doesn't offer any rational discussion when it comes to the US.

I know that coaches are aware Big Soccer or at least Bob Bradley. Great resource to keep tabs on American players. Diskerud posts there as well.

Bradley's brother posts there.

pitch is terrible for this game.

announcer said Clint scored for Totten

Jozy off for the second half. Pitch was terrible. He drew a couple of fouls and made some nice runs. Man City was making sure he wasn't getting touches though. No chances on goal at all. But he looked strong.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This is via Grant Wahl:

Klinsmann: Can't be on bench or in locker room, no radio communication with bench. No specific provision against cell-phone communication.

So it sounds like Klinsmann is just going to need to make sure he's in a spot with good cell reception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom