• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rule changed a while ago mang. "Intent" has nothing to do with it. Now, there needs to be a "deliberate" motion of the hand/arm that results in a handball - that includes deliberately making yourself "bigger" to cause a handball. Intent has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Also, the level of deliberateness has nothing to do with whether there is a yellow or red card. A yellow card is given if the handball was a tactical foul or if it constituted "un-sportmanship conduct." A red is given if it "denies a clear goal scoring opportunity."

Make sure you know the rules next time before you are condescending.

Edit: I didn't see the handball here, so you may be right that it was not deliberate (and you are indeed right if he was running away and the ball hit his arm), but I'm just correcting your characterization of the rule.

Oh please, deliberate and intent mean the same in this case.

Edit: Goalie wasnt as bad as I thought initially.

Slizz

XTzhMgB.jpg

Oh please, deliberate and intent mean the same in this case.

No, it doesn't. I'm a referee and they spend hours telling us it doesn't mean the same thing every year.

Intentional = mental state
Deliberate = a voluntary movement

I'm also a lawyer and in criminal and tort law there is a clear distinction between intent and a voluntary act. So you are just wrong that they are the same.

Slizz

No, it doesn't. I'm a referee and they spend hours telling us it doesn't mean the same thing every year.

I'm also a lawyer and in criminal and tort law there is a clear distinction between intent and a voluntary act. So you are just wrong that they are the same.

Tort law? Good lord, how do you deal?

When youre talking about a split second spots decision, how is a voluntary movement not the same as mental state?

Regardless of the English language technical wording that may be discussed in a court-room....for the purpose of my previous post, theyre the same.

Nobody was arguing the difference between intend and deliberate, rather the misconception that I see way too often that ball-against-hand = handball = penalty.

Tort law? Good lord, how do you deal?

I don't actually practice yet--bar exam this week, then clerking for a year. I'm willing to do any law if I can get a job though, torts/PI included. :)

If a ball is passed backwards, offside doesn't come into play.

That's not true. He had it right the first time - the ball counts as the line of offside, if the ball is beyond the second to last defender. Even a pass backward can result in offside if the player who receives it was in an offside position at the time of the kick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom