• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruets

I am so torn in this game. On one hand I want to root for Panama the underdogs and I dislike Mexico but on the other hand there is nothing like USA vs Mexico!

mexico getting knocked out of gold cup by panama would be too hilarious, but then chepo would most likely be fired...

This is a desperate, desperate game going on right now. Dudes are getting gassed just running back and forth all the way down the field each way.

Well there we go. Was hoping for a US MEX final but they screwed that up. Panama looks to be a decent team actually. The final won't be a walk in the park by any means.

Sky Chief

What an amazing night! Had so much fun at Jerry World! What a game from Donovan!

Leaving the game there was an all out brawl in Legends Way. Dozens of Mexican fans fighting in the street blocking all the traffic for about 20 minutes and no police in sight. Pretty crazy!

Judderman

drawer by drawer
"Oh hey, ESPN is showing the Mexico-Panama highlights that I missed...Wait...Panama won 2-1?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm starting to like this US team. They are playing extremely aggressive going for takeaways on defense in the backfield when most teams don't. This group is fun to watch, and its going to be tough for Klinnsman to bring back in some of the "A" team players aside from Dempsey and Howard to replace any of the current starters. These guys look hungrier, and are playing with a ton of energy.

daoster

Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

I am happy. I am conflicted, but I am happy. I know Panama will be a tough challenge, but I kinda wanted to see us beat Mexico.

But you know what, I love to see Mexico struggle. I love to see their fans go in meltdown mode.

A couple of years ago, Our hearts were broken. We thought we were going to win the Gold Cup, only for Mexico to come back for an emphatic win. Then to rub salt in our wounds, the US U-23 failed to make it to the Olympics, and Mexico won GOLD. GOLD at the Olympics. Mexico was on top of the world.

Now, fast forward to the present day, and you fail to recognize the El Tri in front of us.

Sure, some Mexican fans will point out that this is merely a "B or C" team. So what? Mexico hasn't looked convincing whether it's A, B, C, D or E team this year, and even the B team should have beaten the teams in their group with relative ease. Reaching the final should be ALMOST a given for both the USA and Mexico (after all, we got to the Finals in 2009 with a B team, after our A team got to the finals in the Confed Cup).

I know, I know, a strong Mexico is good for the US to grow and compete with. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy their struggles. Two of them were thanks to Klinsmann (beating them and drawing them @ Azteca), the other two were from other factors, but I'll take it anyways.

NoRéN

Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

I am happy. I am conflicted, but I am happy. I know Panama will be a tough challenge, but I kinda wanted to see us beat Mexico.

But you know what, I love to see Mexico struggle. I love to see their fans go in meltdown mode.

A couple of years ago, Our hearts were broken. We thought we were going to win the Gold Cup, only for Mexico to come back for an emphatic win. Then to rub salt in our wounds, the US U-23 failed to make it to the Olympics, and Mexico won GOLD. GOLD at the Olympics. Mexico was on top of the world.

Now, fast forward to the present day, and you fail to recognize the El Tri in front of us.

Sure, some Mexican fans will point out that this is merely a "B or C" team. So what? Mexico hasn't looked convincing whether it's A, B, C, D or E team this year, and even the B team should have beaten the teams in their group with relative ease. Reaching the final should be ALMOST a given for both the USA and Mexico (after all, we got to the Finals in 2009 with a B team, after our A team got to the finals in the Confed Cup).

I know, I know, a strong Mexico is good for the US to grow and compete with. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy their struggles. Two of them were thanks to Klinsmann (beating them and drawing them @ Azteca), the other two were from other factors, but I'll take it anyways.

That "b squad" excuse has never worked for me. This is their sport. It's what they're supposed to be good at. Quality at all levels.

Looks like their quality has dipped.

At the same time, credit to Panama. They've always performed well at the Gold Cup outside of the usual 2.

Nesotenso

I'm starting to like this US team. They are playing extremely aggressive going for takeaways on defense in the backfield when most teams don't. This group is fun to watch, and its going to be tough for Klinnsman to bring back in some of the "A" team players aside from Dempsey and Howard to replace any of the current starters. These guys look hungrier, and are playing with a ton of energy.

There will be more than just Howard or Dempsey coming back but yeah it is great that the tournament has given us depth. There are some good players who might miss out on Brazil now provided everyone stays healthy. Club form and playing time over the 2013-2014 season will also affect JK's roster.

Jury's still out if they can maintain this high pressure and attacking form against better opposition. RB is the position of most concern though.

Clydefrog

ChepoSTare-ISIPhotos.com_-600x400.jpg

Clydefrog

Hahahaha! Incredible, Cornballer. Beasley looks pissed with his glassses on.

Landon's been the MVP of the tournament. I wish he would play in Europe again :(

CobbFC09

- Via noshortcorners: Video links for Bob Bradley on the Daily Show

Also, a few sources are reporting that John Anthony Brooks has been called up by Klinsmann for the August 14th Bosnia game. It could be huge if he decided to play for the US. He's a 6'4" centerback that plays for Hertha in the Bundesliga.
Someone goofed:

"On August 14, 2013, it was confirmed that he will play against Bosnia and Herzegovina for the United States Men's National Team in a friendly.[2]"

Don't know anything about him, but I'm about to tune in to listen to Brian Sciaretta (writer for The New York Times Goal Blog and Yanks Abroad) and hear his thoughts on him.

Don't know anything about him, but I'm about to tune in to listen to Brian Sciaretta (writer for The New York Times Goal Blog and Yanks Abroad) and hear his thoughts on him.
I've seen him play a couple of times for Hertha on bad streams. He's a big kid, but he can handle the ball reasonably well and is quicker than you'd think. I'm curious what Sciaretta says about him, though I do take Brian's comments with a grain of salt since it seems like he leans in favor of anyone that plays abroad these days. Let us know if he says anything interesting.

- Jeff Carlisle: The next phase of Landon Donovan's USMNT reintegration
- Galarcep: Who should the USMNT start vs. Panama?
PROJECTED USMNT LINEUP vs. PANAMA

—————Eddie Johnson————Landon Donovan—————

Jose Torres—————–Stuart Holden——————Joe Corona

——————————-Kyle Beckerman—————————–

DaMarcus Beasley————————————Michael Parkhurst

—————-Matt Besler——————-Clarence Goodson———

——————————–Nick Rimando——————————-

Some thoughts on the lineup:

The centerback question is a big one, but it won’t really be a big surprise if Klinsmann sticks with the Goodson-Besler combo. Goodson has enjoyed an outstanding Gold Cup, and really has boosted his stick in the full national team pecking order. What is interesting about Gonzalez’s inclusion in the squad is that it wasn’t the original plan for Klinsmann, who had planned to bring in Graham Zusi. If Klinsmann intended on giving Goodson the Gold Cup to prove himself as a top centerback option, then it would make sense that he keeps him in the lineup for the final.

Why Johnson over Wondolowski? Johnson’s speed offers a better threat against Panama’s centerbacks. Roman Torres is a physical beast who can dominate, but he and centerback partner Roberto Chen will have a hard time dealing with Johnson and Landon Donovan’s mobility.

Alejandro Bedoya had an outstanding match in the semifinal win vs. Honduras. So why isn’t he projected to start in the final? Joe Corona has had an excellent tournament and has played well enough to earn the nod in the final. Bedoya is an intriguing option for the pressure he could put on Panama left back Carlos Rodriguez, but Corona’s inclusion can help the U.S. control the possession battle, which could be key to dominating the game.

Bedoya very well could still wind up starting in another role, with left wing a viable option. We have Jose Torres lifted because of his excellent left foot and ability to combine passes in the attack, but if Klinsmann decides he wants some speed on the wing and someone to pressure Panamanian right back Leonel Parris, Bedoya could be that man.

Stuart Holden had a steady game in the semifinal win vs. Honduras and should get the nod over Diskerud, who has shown a good ability to come off the bench and make an impact.

Michael Parkhurst should get the nod at right back again, and what we should consider is the very real possibility that Klinsmann is grooming him to start in the September qualifiers. With Cherundolo sidelined by surgery, and Tim Chandler’s national team future an on-going question mark, having Parkhurst get a good run of games can only help boost his confidence and familiarize him with the rest of the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom