• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF487

captmcblack said:
It would be one of the great soccer wins ever in the country if the US can beat England.
Man, this shit is going to be so awesome.

US doesn't really have anything to lose, either. A loss is predicted, but a draw would be a great sign of the strides they have made, and a win would be absolutely amazing.

daoster

AstroLad said:
no us writers are too busy focusing on why soccer is so gay and how its popularity is a fabrication of the liberal media and how no one in the us cares about it because it's such a sissy sport i mean look at the diving thank god the nfl season is only a few months away

LOL, what?

And that trolling article was really trying too hard...nothing to get mad about guys!

So...what brawl are you expecting? Rooney vs. Dempsey or Rooney vs. Bradley?

Articles about that England friendly today said they "cruised" to a 3-0 victory, but it seems like they were struggling the first half...

Slizz

daoster said:
LOL, what?

And that trolling article was really trying too hard...nothing to get mad about guys!

Articles about that England friendly today said they "cruised" to a 3-0 victory, but it seems like they were struggling the first half...

Bradley vs. Rooney

Subitai

Jeff-DSA said:
Could you imagine of the likes of Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Chris Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson, and the rest of our premiere athletes over the years had grown up playing soccer? It would be insane what sort of teams we could field year in and year out. Until soccer has more allure for kids beyond grade school, we're going to have to suffer as the butt of those kinds of jokes talking about how we can't compete physically. Should soccer really take hold on the pro level in the US and the money is there...watch out, world.

It will come at the expense of other sports though to some degree. As baseball is slowly declining the number of great African American athletes in MLB has dropped a lot due to basketball and football, but it went mostly unnoticed because the slack was picked up by Hispanics and Asians.

Atlagev

Heretic said:
Never seen Hahnemann play aside from last saturday and he did not impress. he was so insecure back there. they were blaming it on the sun but that's no excuse to be missing balls that are centered within the small box

He was awesome with Wolves this year; he helped keep them up (and even saved a shot from Jozy when they played Hull!). I don't know what his deal was against Australia. Maybe he's been in England so long he's forgotten what that bright, yellow thing in the sky is. ;-)

NoRéN

daoster said:

I'm going to say...Rooney v. Ref?

World Cup 2010: Foul-mouthed Wayne Rooney warned he could be sent off

• Referee reveals that striker insulted him in warm-up match
• 'He said: "Fuck you" ... he must learn to control his temper'

Atlagev

scorcho said:
g'damn. that title alone is emblematic for everything wrong with weezer the last few years :)

Yeah, that title's pretty lame, but hopefully the song will be decent. :)

I like "My Day is Coming", until the part where he starts naming the players (it's kinda cheesy). Especially Pat Noonan. It's like, WTF? *Pat Noonan*?!

Daigoro

good game against Aus this weekend. still some worries in back for sure, but offense is looking good. Buddle is on a sick roll. and Herc is just scoring every chance he gets.

i just need to it be Saturday already. im making myself sick in anticipation.

cashman said:
God damn, my weekend schedule just came out, and I'm going to miss the England game.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKKK

quit.

daoster

Jeff-DSA said:
Yeah, I know it's not those guys specifically who would be great soccer players, but I'm just referring to our great athletes in general. I love our guys, but Gooch is pretty much the only real impressive physical specimen of the bunch.

I think as far as the physical side of the game goes, we're fine. It's about the only thing people can compliment us on. It's the technical ability, and creative plays that we lack.

And all that begins in the youth level!

Daigoro

daoster said:
I think as far as the physical side of the game goes, we're fine. It's about the only thing people can compliment us on. It's the technical ability, and creative plays that we lack.

And all that begins in the youth level!

spot on. its got nothing to do with physicality or being a "superior athlete".

kitch9

Banned
I'm English and can quite honestly say you guys have every reason to be optimistic. I've seen the English team pull off some amazing performances in the past where they could demolish most teams put in front of them, and on the other hand I've seen them run round like a bunch of headless chickens for 90 minutes where they pass the ball to their opposition more then they actually pass to themselves. They'd have had more chance of scoring if they wore flip-flops.....

If the headless chickens turn up you've got every chance in the world of pulling an "upset." I've seen no evidence so far in the warm up matches to show that definately won't happen......

Saying that a large number of the big teams seem to be mis-firing apart from maybe Brazil, so hopefully they're saving their best for the tournament.

WwSpe.jpg

badass

The Everton Experience P1
Part 2

Very interesting mini-documentary on Donovan's loan to Everton. I didn't realize just how well he's done over there, gives me more hope for the USMNT!

Also, anyone got some sweet Dono avatars? Dempsey is getting all of the avatar love.

Oh and thanks for the amazing wallpaper, I'm using it as well!

-
Edit:
article-1284720-09EEE6C3000005DC-313_468x307.jpg

The bench's reaction to England's friendly against the Platinum Allstars, I lol'd

xbhaskarx

Excellent column by Stefan Fatsis in The Independent:

USA: No one rates us and we don't care

After almost two decades writing about sport, my fanhood isn't what it once was. I've just grown too close to the business of the games, and too familiar with how athletes think and what they do. A few summers ago, I even talked my way on to a National Football League team – as a placekicker, the guy who boots field goals and extra points – to write a book about the inner workings of America's most popular game. The players, I learned, don't sweat every victory and defeat. How can I?

As a New Yorker, that means I no longer shed tears when the Yankees (baseball) lose or jump for joy when the Giants (our football) win. But I make one exception: the US men's national soccer team.

That's right, I'm an American and yet I care about what you English might call proper football, and I care deeply about our admittedly second-tier national side. As long as I'm not sitting in a press box, I will scream and shout and exult and wallow in the performance of the USMNT, as it's known to diehards (US Men's National Team). On June 12, I'll be in the stands in Rustenburg, wearing a red shirt and rooting lustily for a miracle on grass. I can think of few sports-fan moments in my lifetime that would compare with felling mighty England in the World Cup. Yankees win the World Series? Done that, seven times in my life, 27 times overall. USA over USSR in ice hockey at the 1980 Olympics? The greatest upset in the history of sport, with delicious geopolitical overtones. But USA over Ing-er-land? That would be another level of sporting joy.

"If Americans are bad at soccer and do not care, they should. And since they don't, this makes matters all the worse," says Andrei Markovits, a political science professor at the University of Michigan currently teaching at the University of Vienna, who writes about football and global culture. "But were Americans to get good at soccer, they would be perceived as a threat, as dominating yet another aspect of modern life, so that would be bad, too."

In other words, we can't win. But I for one like it that way. Even if we Americans are secure in our knowledge of football's history on our shores and realistic about our current station in the global football pecking order – our current No 14 FIFA ranking seems about right – and also believe we understand the psychological roots of European scorn, we still can't let it go. Truth is, we don't want to let it go. We want to stick it to the football snobs of the world instead.

This isn't Yankee imperialism at work; we don't want to take away "your" sport. On the contrary, I'd love for America to become a true footballing nation, with a universal fan base, a Premiership-calibre professional league and a top-flight national side that deserves and receives international respect. We're slowly moving in that direction. Last month's Champions League final between Inter Milan and Bayern Munich was shown on a US broadcast television network (Murdoch's Fox) for the first time. Our professional league, Major League Soccer, averages 17,000 or so fans per game, many of them wearing scarves and singing club songs in stadiums built exclusively for soccer.

And our national team? Just 20 years ago, when the US qualified for a World Cup for the first time since 1950, the team included university students and semi-professionals. In 2002, it reached the final eight. Last year, it broke Spain's 35-match unbeaten streak and nearly toppled Brazil in the finals of the Confederations Cup. Small steps to be sure, but ones that drew praise even in a European press reluctant to say anything nice about US football, ever.

Which leaves me torn. It's not often that the US get to play the underdog in international sport, out-skilled and out-cheered, the nerd mocked by the cool kids. As a fan, that's why every US victory (or even near-victory) on the world stage provokes a potent release of testosterone and Schadenfreude. Screw you, world. Still want to make fun of us now?

But the day will come that we're no longer an insecure football afterthought, just another legitimate FIFA power with a deep reserve of talent that plays with sophistication and style. When it does, fans like me will enjoy the beautiful games and the balanced rivalries and the occasional trophies. But we'll also miss sticking a finger in the eye of the football establishment, the visceral thrill of defiance rewarded, the giddy possibility of a game like the one on 12 June.

Slizz

MidnightRider said:
Just saved this as my background at work :)

Awesome

Am I just completely oblivious? Where is the source for that wallpaper?

EDIT: Yup, I am. I kept scrolling too fast right over the post above.....

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
The UK papers are starting to turn on the coach and team now, were sort of hoping just to get through the first match rather than win it. There is widespread concern because of Cappello never settling on a team, dropping players who were great in qualifiers and pretty much making it up each game, so much so that we dont actually have an 11.

If there is ever a time to play England its now

Tristam

modernkicks said:
Starting to get nervous as the game approaches.

Just have a sinking feeling about our defense.........

Take solace in the knowledge that the English soccer team are far nervier than you are. The psychological pressure on them is exponentially greater than it is on our own team.

We just need to get the first goal in. After that, I think, things will take care of themselves.

Slizz said:
Am I just completely oblivious? Where is the source for that wallpaper?

EDIT: Yup, I am. I kept scrolling too fast right over the post above.....

I just wish it wasn't as wide.

My screen at work isn't as big as that wants it to be.

Had to put it on stretch to shorten the width and made it look all fucked

xbhaskarx

Some random info from various news articles:

- The Yanks are the away team and will be wearing their blue jerseys against England Saturday.

- 136,000 World Cup tickets were sold in the US, more than in any non-SA country, according to FIFA.

- 25-40k Americans are expected to be in South Africa for World Cup (according to FIFA, the real number is probably lower).

xbhaskarx said:
Some random info from various news articles:

- The Yanks are the away team and will be wearing their blue jerseys against England Saturday.

- 136,000 World Cup tickets were sold in the US, more than in any non-SA country, according to FIFA.

- 25-40k Americans are expected to be in South Africa for World Cup (according to FIFA, the real number is probably lower).

Shit we are wearing Blue?

fuck fuck fuck fuck

need my blue kit....... guess I better do overnight shipping on it.

MidnightRider said:

Yeah I beat ya by a few hours, great minds and what not. :)

sw33tclyde said:
The Everton Experience P1
Part 2

Very interesting mini-documentary on Donovan's loan to Everton. I didn't realize just how well he's done over there, gives me more hope for the USMNT!

Also, anyone got some sweet Dono avatars? Dempsey is getting all of the avatar love.

Crisis

Banned
modernkicks said:
Starting to get nervous as the game approaches.

Just have a sinking feeling about our defense.........

The defense is always going to be a question. I get nervous too but remember that it's only a game. I'd love to win it, but it's only a game.

Subitai

xbhaskarx said:
Excellent column by Stefan Fatsis in The Independent:

USA: No one rates us and we don't care
You left out the best part! :D
While it's been excellent sport for English and other non-Americans to mock our soccer, the truth is that the USA will play its way into the world conversation without becoming a passionate football nation. We will develop talent on par with yours and Germany's and Spain's and Argentina's and Brazil's (OK, maybe not Brazil's), but we will not embrace the game with the single-minded nationalist fervour of those countries. We will become great at football, but it won't matter to all of us. That will not seem right to you.

ATTN: USGAF....... NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE DURING THE GAME VS ENGLAND.... YOU HAVE TO SING THIS SONG.

(tune of She‟ll Be Coming „Round The Mountain)

There were five British red coats on the hill
There were Five British red coats, five British red coats, five British red coats on the hill
And the Continental Army shot one down
And The Continental Army, the Continental Army, the Continental Army shot one down

REPEAT through the numbers 5, 4, 3, 2, 1

There were no British red coats on the hill
There were no British red coats, no British red coats, no British red coats on the hill
And the Continental Army won the war
And the Continental Army, the Continental Army, the Continental Army won the war.

Dresden

MidnightRider said:
ATTN: USGAF....... NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE DURING THE GAME VS ENGLAND.... YOU HAVE TO SING THIS SONG.

There were Five British red coats, five British red coats, five British red coats on the hill
And The Continental Army, the Continental Army, the Continental Army shot one down

There were no British red coats, no British red coats, no British red coats on the hill
And the Continental Army, the Continental Army, the Continental Army won the war.

You left out the part where the French come in and... oh, just a song.

Clydefrog

That's fine if Gooch thinks he can finally play 90 minutes. But 90 minutes against WAYNE ROONEY? I doubt it...

Rooney's bald spot better not beat Gooch's bald head in a header.

MidnightRider said:

I don't think I will.

Mindlog

sw33tclyde said:
Yeah I'll be too busy taking shots and cursing to sing. Win or lose, I'll be drunk by the end of it. :p

and smashing vuvuzelas

Yuengling will be the official party beer. It narrowly edged out Sam Adams.

Mindlog said:
and smashing vuvuzelas

Yuengling will be the official party beer. It narrowly edged out Sam Adams.
Yuengling might be really old, but Sam Adams really hated the English. Like, really hated the English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom