• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

So based on these friendlies, what do you guys think about the various position battles?

Fwd
2 of Altidore / Buddle / Findley

CB
2 of Onyewu / DeMerit / Goodson

DMid
Clark / Edu

LB
Bocanegra / Bornstein

RB
Cherundolo / Spector

#2 GK
Hahnemann / Guzan

xbhaskarx

My best guess for England:

Howard
Cherundolo - DeMerit - Onyewu - Bocanegra
Donovan - Bradley - Edu - Dempsey
Findley - Altidore

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
So based on these friendlies, what do you guys think about the various position battles?

Fwd

CB

DMid
Clark / Edu

LB
Bocanegra / Bornstein

RB
Cherundolo/ Spector

#2 GK
Hahnemann/ Guzan

Onyewu is just simply not fit. Maybe he can come in as a sub if things don't work out... his injury really sucks :( I also hope DeMerit can step it up a notch or else I wouldn't be surprised to see Gooch + Goodson in the CB positions against Slovenia/Algeria.

Spector/Cherundolo + Hahnemann/Guzan were the hardest picks for me. I know about all the recent crap on Spector, but he's really not that bad. He's great at sending pinpoint crosses into the box from any offensive position. Cherundolo, however, has proven with his experience that he can do just that and more. It's tough.

Our goalkeeper situation is a mix-up. Howard is for sure our #1, but Hahnemann and Guzan have both proven to be quality backups. I'd have to give the nod to Hahnemann if only for his regular season gametime (Guzan plays backup to USA's best ever goalie.)

What about Torres? Is he going to be the backup for Feilhaber?

daoster

xbhaskarx said:

Fwd

CB

DMid
Clark / Edu

LB
Bocanegra / Bornstein

RB
Cherundolo / Spector

#2 GK
Hahnemann / Guzan

- Altidore and Findley...Altidore and Buddle wasn't very impressive.

- Goodson and DeMerit, and maybe sub out Goodson at the beginning of the second half. for Oneywu

- Maybe Torres, instead of those two? Dunno, Clark hasn't impressed me, and he was almost non-existant in the Australia game...though I wouldn't be surprised of Clark was starting...

- Bocanegra for LB...why would you even list Bornstein as a starter!

- Cherundolo!

- Hahnemann...has Guzan even played a game yet?

Clydefrog said:

God, I hope not...Feilhaber, while he can make some creative plays...is basically non existent in terms of defense...

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Torres would get decimated physically by either Gerrard or Lampard in the middle for the England match. he'll be useful for the rest of the group stage matches though.

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:

Holden and Torres should both see plenty of action, hopefully.
Feilhaber would be at the bottom of the midfielder list for me, based on his bad defense.

daoster said:
- Maybe Torres, instead of those two?

Torres wouldn't work well physically against England.

daoster said:
- Hahnemann...has Guzan even played a game yet?

Guzan played against the Czech Republic, but I agree that it should be Hahneman.

Heretic

As much as i'd love to see Gooch start, I don't think he's ready. He was limping the whole time he was playing during the Australia game.

A part of me thinks it's part of his strategy. Let them think he's weak but i know i'm wrong =(

Never seen Hahnemann play aside from last saturday and he did not impress. he was so insecure back there. they were blaming it on the sun but that's no excuse to be missing balls that are centered within the small box

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Slizz said:
Lol, that did get me a little heated but I am sure some US writers have talked equal parts trash about England.

This is going to be a great fucking match I hope, and this week will drag on for sooooooooooooooooooooo long cause of the hype.
no us writers are too busy focusing on why soccer is so gay and how its popularity is a fabrication of the liberal media and how no one in the us cares about it because it's such a sissy sport i mean look at the diving thank god the nfl season is only a few months away

Jeff-DSA

I felt like our team had about a 2% chance against Spain last year, and that turned out quite well. I feel better about this matchup with England.

Come on boys, let's shock the world once more.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The_Inquisitor said:
What a fucking troll.
pretty tame for a troll though. a real troll article would go on about how americans are all so fat and too stupid to appreciate soccer. it would also go on about england exposing what happens to america's best athletes when you remove their 100 pounds of armor. etc.

Jeff-DSA

Could you imagine of the likes of Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Chris Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson, and the rest of our premiere athletes over the years had grown up playing soccer? It would be insane what sort of teams we could field year in and year out. Until soccer has more allure for kids beyond grade school, we're going to have to suffer as the butt of those kinds of jokes talking about how we can't compete physically. Should soccer really take hold on the pro level in the US and the money is there...watch out, world.

cashman

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Could you imagine of the likes of Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Chris Johnson, Ladanian Tomlinson, and the rest of our premiere athletes over the years had grown up playing soccer? It would be insane what sort of teams we could field year in and year out. Until soccer has more allure for kids beyond grade school, we're going to have to suffer as the butt of those kinds of jokes talking about how we can't compete physically. Should soccer really take hold on the pro level in the US and the money is there...watch out, world.
ehh, soccer is really skills based. You're kind of right though, just instead of those specific athletes you'd probably have some lesser known other people who never played soccer because of it's lack of popularity.

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, I know it's not those guys specifically who would be great soccer players, but I'm just referring to our great athletes in general. I love our guys, but Gooch is pretty much the only real impressive physical specimen of the bunch.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Jeff-DSA said:
Not sure it really works like that, but yes if the money and support was there by sheer land mass and population the US would be great by default (it would take 2-3 generations still mind)

Whatever...

England doesn't have an answer for this:

amd_worldcup_donovan.jpg

Tristam said:

Rooney is a fucking beast
and my favorite player
. I cannot wait until Saturday, even though I will be completely divided watching it. My father-in-law, who really has no love for the sport, asked me over the weekend if I would watch the game with him and explain the rules, etc. If he is getting hyped for it, this is going to be one crazy fucking match.

Tristam

Btw the best part of the article I posted was that guy's claim that Beckham "waltzes" past confused MLS defenders. Even in his prime, Beckham was never fast enough to waltz past anyone. :lol I don't remember the last time I saw him beat a man down the wing.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
xbhaskarx said:

Fwd

CB

DMid
Clark / Edu

LB
Bocanegra / Bornstein

RB
Cherundolo / Spector

#2 GK
Hahnemann / Guzan

My preference

Bocanegra/Gooch/Demerit/Bornstein- be ready to burn a sub for Goodson at halftime though

Donovan/Bradley/Edu/Dempsey- Holden as sub here, Clark if ahead/tied- pull Altidore for Clark and move Dempsey up.

Altidore/Buddle - Gomez as sub here if behind

Jeff-DSA said:
Yeah, I know it's not those guys specifically who would be great soccer players, but I'm just referring to our great athletes in general. I love our guys, but Gooch is pretty much the only real impressive physical specimen of the bunch.

Jozy is a beast. Look at his goal against Spain. If he stops being a headcase he could be something special.

arstal said:
My preference

Bocanegra/Gooch/Demerit/Bornstein- be ready to burn a sub for Goodson at halftime though

Donovan/Bradley/Edu/Dempsey- Holden as sub here, Clark if ahead/tied- pull Altidore for Clark and move Dempsey up.

Altidore/Buddle - Gomez as sub here if behind

Yeah I would go....

---------------Altidore --- Buddle-------
Donovan---Torres----Bradley----Dempsey
Bocanegra--Gooch---Demerit---Bornstein
-------------------Howard--------------------

Subs would be.
Buddle for Gomez
Torres for Holden in which would move Dempsey up front
Altidore for Findley (only if you don't move Dempsey up front)

Heretic

MidnightRider said:
Yeah I would go....

---------------Altidore --- Buddle-------
Donovan---Torres----Bradley----Dempsey
Bocanegra--Gooch---Demerit---Bornstein
-------------------Howard--------------------

Subs would be.
Buddle for Gomez
Torres for Holden in which would move Dempsey up front
Altidore for Findley (only if you don't move Dempsey up front)

i like this line up.

Google

Gamecocks625 said:
Whatever...

England doesn't have an answer for this:

amd_worldcup_donovan.jpg

This is our answer to Landon Donovan's Everton stint.

article-1161748-014993B20000044D-805_306x647.jpg

Only this happened when he was 16. Not 28.

Also, that article:

Is fucking horrible.

The guy obviously has no fucking clue what he's talking about. The US players who ply their trade in the UK play for some of the most well respected teams and managers.

Dempsey ran rings around Europe in Hodgson's Fulham.

Hahnemann forced his way into a Wolves team that had him pegged at 2nd choice at the beginning of the season, and finished super strong, allowing the team to stay in the Premier League.

Yeah, Altidore had a fucking awful season for Hull...

But then, Hull are fucking horrible.

I had commentators like the one above - they know fuck all about world football, and simply regurgitate the "hurdehuhhuhuhu ENGLAND" line.

It's fucking embarrassing!

Dresden said:
This is pretty much our championship, isn't it? :lol

Honestly if we win the game against England the whole World Cup will have been worth it, just for the British papers alone :lol

Hell, a draw would be funny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom