• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Well it's certainly not in the OP of this very thread, that would be far too convenient.

That would be TOO convenient...

Haha sorry, I rarely read the OP after, though I probably should get into that habit...

cashman

Banned
That was an alright game, Findley should have at least scored one of those open chances, but I guess he made himself opportunities so it's not that bad.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
With Englands problems and pretty dire friendlies surprisingly i am more confident now than had we been good, the expectations for the team with the recent injuries and poor performances is dropping, and that will take alot of the pressure off. Ive said it all summer the worst thing that could happen to England is going into the game v USA as strong favourites with nothing to back it up, i think the team knows we will have to fight tooth and nail for it.

rar

striKeVillain! said:
Can we just erase Ricardo Clark? Ugh, I hate how he gets to start over Torres or Holden. Shit, I would take Edu over fucking Clark.

im really not sure why he started

striKeVillain! said:
Can we just erase Ricardo Clark? Ugh, I hate how he gets to start over Torres or Holden. Shit, I would take Edu over fucking Clark.

My friend said this almost word for word today, weird

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
not giving England a chance to scout Edu is my only thought. Clark wasn't horrible, but there's not a moment where you don't think he's going to snap and get a red card.

Haunted

Well, for the casual fans still tuning in, winning the last two prep friendlies before the WC against a good and an ok team is a good thing. :p

Mr Cola said:
Its the English way, learn from us :D
Um, excuse me but I think that's a German quality.

No one wins uglier than we do. No one.

edit: oh shit, forgot about Italy.

Clydefrog

Not a bad game for USA. Can't believe Martin Tyler made a Edson Buddle Pele joke :lol

Findley, go away. Clark, go away.

Australia was trying to injure Dempsey :lol

xbhaskarx

ESPN Player Ratings:

Tim Howard, goalkeeper, 6 -- Typically steady performance from the Everton man.

Carlos Bocanegra, defense, 5.5 -- Not spectacular, but plenty solid. Given the rise of Goodson, it's likely that he'll stay at left back for the remainder of the World Cup.

Clarence Goodson, defense, 5.5 -- Will he start against England? He certainly hasn't hurt himself in the last three matches, delivering some composed, timely tackles. The only downside was that he looked as flummoxed as some of his teammates on crosses.

Jay DeMerit, defense, 3 -- A very underwhelming performance. His poor clearing header that went out for a corner kick set the stage for Cahill's equalizer, and a similar effort would have resulted in another goal but he was bailed out by Hahnemann. Wracked up plenty of fouls, too.

Steve Cherundolo, defense, 5 -- Probably could have done better to stop Cahill's shot from his spot on the post, as well as cut out more crosses from his side. His run and cross for Buddle's second was sublime, however.

Landon Donovan, midfield, 7 -- Looked razor sharp and consistently made excellent decisions. As he heads into this World Cup, he is clearly operating at his peak.

Ricardo Clark, midfield, 5.5 -- With Jose Torres breathing down his neck, Clark raised his game by doing what he does best: tackling and making the simple pass. He went off the boil a bit in the second half, and his day was marred by what looked like a hamstring injury.

Michael Bradley, midfield, 6 -- Did his usual amount of dirty work on defense, and while he misfired on some passes early, he was sharper in the second half.

Clint Dempsey, midfield, 6 -- Looked lively on the attacking end and with a bit more luck might have scored two goals. But he probably bore the most responsibility for losing Cahill on the equalizer. He also drew a silly yellow card for a fracas with Craig Moore. That can't happen when the games begin for real.

Edson Buddle, forward, 8 -- How can you sit a guy who is this hot? Buddle took his chances well and made dynamic runs off the ball. An interesting quandary for Bradley.

Robbie Findley, forward, 5.5 -- Combined fabulous plays with head-in-the-hands moments. Worked well with Buddle and contributed defensively, but he'll have nightmares about missing an open goal in the 15th minute. He had more good moments than bad.

Substitutions:

Marcus Hahnemann, goalkeeper, 6 -- Made three top drawer saves in the second half to preserve the win. His aerial game was highly suspect, however, as he whiffed on two crosses.

Jonathan Bornstein, defense, 5.5 -- Started off shaky but composed himself. He also delivered some key clearances.

Oguchi Onyewu, defense, 5 -- Still looks to be showing too much rust to start against England. One sequence where he opted to let a ball go, only to see an Australia player run onto it, spoke volumes. When asked if Onyewu was ready to start, Bradley would only say, "We'll see."

DaMarcus Beasley, midfield, 5 -- His primary asset seemed to be taking abuse, although he also helped shore things up defensively.

Herculez Gomez, forward, 6 -- Could have put the game away earlier after being sprung by Donovan but played a poor pass instead. He eventually cemented things in stoppage time off another telling pass from Donovan.

I think Cherundolo was much better than a 5, and Bornstein was surprisingly not shaky. Also, Gomez can't really be blamed for that pass, it hit one of the massive divots in the awful playing field and popped up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zoku88 said:
Thanks for the vid since I wasn't able to watch the game. Can't believe that one shot near the beginning was missed.
:lol I missed the first 20 mins and didn't see that one. That's brutal.

xbhaskarx

David Moyes on Donovan (and Howard):

Donovan danger

He’s composed on the ball and I loved that he wanted to stay on the training pitch at the end of sessions to practise finishing and speak further with the coaches so he could understand what we wanted him to do. He’ll face England confident that he knows the English players and has managed to cut it in their world. I know, when he left, he was full of admiration for the Premier League because of the tempo of games and the effort required in England of playing Saturday, Wednesday, Saturday, Wednesday at that level.

Myself and the Scots in my backroom staff had plenty of banter with him and Tim Howard about playing against England. What could we do to help? I remember Tim lying on the treatment table, wondering how the USA could get a draw out of the game, and the Scots boys were in there working it out with him.

The Americans are not looking at England as a game they’re likely to win; they want to get it out of the way, avoid sustaining heavy damage and use their other group matches to qualify for the next round. I’m desperate for Tim to do well because he’s a fine lad and a really good keeper. I can only think of one mistake he made in the whole of last season, which shows his consistency.

xbhaskarx

Some pics from yesterday

982978-an-image-wc-aust-v-us.jpg

Buddle's first

003294-australia-v-usa.jpg

Buddle again

004108-australia-v-usa.jpg

offside called

004084-australia-v-usa.jpg

Gomez scores

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's funny when people say U.S. can't beat England, like it's U.S.A basketball playing American Samoa or something. Have these people ever watched soccer? (The sad thing is that most of the time it's either analysis or players, who I presume have indeed watched soccer.) If so, have they noticed the fact that any even semi-competent team can beat any other team in the world on a given day?

Let's not forget the U.S. drew Italy even though they played horrendously last time. Or how they beat Portugal and should have beaten Germany in the knockout stages when they weren't nearly as talented or skillful as they are now. Could cite literally dozens more examples just from the past three World Cups of far greater upsets skill-wise than U.S. over England (though not media-wise of course). You'd think from those analyses that the underdog never wins, and especially not in the World Cup group stages, when really it's the exact opposite. I understand psychologically calibrating yourself, but I hope that defeatist thinking hasn't infected the squad too much, because it has little basis.

scorcho

forgot which paper it was, but Howard himself mentioned that the team was just looking to get by England with as minimal damage as possible while focusing themselves on the remaining group stages to advance. he doesn't expect them to win, though i'm sure there have to be a couple on the team who might see differently.

daoster

Altidore was training again today..

U.S. forward Altidore trains with team

PRETORIA, South Africa -- Jozy Altidore ran sprint after sprint while a fitness coach looked on.

He was held out of Saturday's exhibition win over Australia, thee days after spraining his right ankle in training, and he tested the joint Sunday as the United States held a light workout at Pilditch Stadium before about 350 invited children from several groups.

"It seems like he's getting a little bit better," goalkeeper Tim Howard said. "It's going to be sore, of course, but we've still got a long way to the game, you know, a long way in terms of needing time to heal. I think he'll be fine, but again, that's barring any setbacks."

It's hard to know how banged up the 20-year-old forward is: U.S. Soccer didn't make Altidore available to reporters.

xbhaskarx said:
David Moyes on Donovan (and Howard):

Donovan danger

I like to think of this World Cup as Donovan's last chance to redeem himself and his career. I hope Donovan is thinking the same thought and taking this very seriously. If he actually (finally) lives up to the potential he has shown in flashes over the last decade, the USA could indeed go far this time around.

Slizz

Gamecocks625 said:
Good news. Although which pairing would be the best? Alidore/Buddle, Altidore/Finley, Altidore/Gomez....Buddle/Gomez? I feel like one of the forwards need some speed.

...still miss Davies :(

EDIT: Where is my American flag!!! I need it now.

Re-edit, seriously its not the 11th, and apparently it takes a shit load of time to do the flags. They are going by country now, and add on all the new people that recognize the flag and try and get one for themselves, even tho they prob don't even care bout the world cup.

That being said, less than a fucking week till we play England. I cannot WAIT.

scorcho

Unknown Soldier said:
I like to think of this World Cup as Donovan's last chance to redeem himself and his career. I hope Donovan is thinking the same thought and taking this very seriously. If he actually (finally) lives up to the potential he has shown in flashes over the last decade, the USA could indeed go far this time around.
he had a very successful loan spell at Everton that could've turned permanent had he not signed a long-term deal with LA Galaxy last year. i think he's done pretty well for himself.

Mindlog

New World Cup watch party rule confirmed.

Anyone bringing a vuvuzela to a watch party must adhere to Elementary School Bubble Gum rules. Either bring enough for everybody or you have to share. We evenly divide the vuvuzela amongst all USMNT supporters.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
AstroLad said:
It's funny when people say U.S. can't beat England, like it's U.S.A basketball playing American Samoa or something. Have these people ever watched soccer? (The sad thing is that most of the time it's either analysis or players, who I presume have indeed watched soccer.) If so, have they noticed the fact that any even semi-competent team can beat any other team in the world on a given day?

Let's not forget the U.S. drew Italy even though they played horrendously last time. Or how they beat Portugal and should have beaten Germany in the knockout stages when they weren't nearly as talented or skillful as they are now. Could cite literally dozens more examples just from the past three World Cups of far greater upsets skill-wise than U.S. over England (though not media-wise of course). You'd think from those analyses that the underdog never wins, and especially not in the World Cup group stages, when really it's the exact opposite. I understand psychologically calibrating yourself, but I hope that defeatist thinking hasn't infected the squad too much, because it has little basis.
I think its more pound for pound, player for player is why people think the USA are expected to lose. I think it will be a close game personally, im excited to see what happens.

daoster

As somebody who absolutely hated the guy back in 2006, and for most of 2007 (LANDYCAKES), I certainly think Donovan has redeemed himself. I don't know, I think since the pressure of being the next "Captain America" has basically been lifted (since Bradley gave the Captain position to Bocanegra), Donovan has actually flourished for the national team AND his club team.

And he doesn't seem like a joke anymore when it comes to going to better leagues. Bayern didn't work out, but that didn't stop him from going to Everton. That long term contract with the Galaxy is just an insurance for his future, and I know Everton wanted to buy him. The problem, however, is that Everton (and most mid-level club teams) can't afford Donovan, and if a big team DOES buy Donovan, there's always the danger that he wouldn't get any playing time. The problem with being America's best player!

Heretic

Mr Cola said:
I think its more pound for pound, player for player is why people think the USA are expected to lose. I think it will be a close game personally, im excited to see what happens.

Do you think USA has a chance?

xbhaskarx

Heretic said:
Ouch... that sucks. I never really liked Ching as a part of the national team though. still wouldn't put the man down. i liked his hustle but couldn't really do much with the ball anymore

Oh, I completely agree. I don't want Ching on the team, but the dude has 45 caps for us from 2003-10 and all American fans should appreciate that.

daoster

Damn, I feel bad for Ching...but it's the nature of the beast!

Here's an interesting article on why Jurgen Klinsmann did not end up being the head coach of US Soccer...we were so close, yet so far!

Klinsmann: Player availability a factor

BRISTOL, Conn. -- Juergen Klinsmann broke off talks to become coach of the U.S. soccer team in 2006 because he wasn't guaranteed top players the following summer for two preparation tournaments ahead of World Cup qualifying.

The former German national team coach, who will be an ESPN analyst for this year's tournaments, visited the network's campus for the first time Tuesday and spoke in some detail about his decision to end talks with the U.S. Soccer Federation in December 2006.

Klinsmann and USSF president Sunil Gulati discussed player availability for the 2007 Copa America and CONCACAF Gold Cup.

"There were different opinions, you know, what players could get the permissions in MLS, what role it plays," he said. "And I thought here, it's not going the right directions in that specific moment. ... So I said, 'You know, it's OK, move on."

Gulati then hired Bob Bradley, who is preparing to coach the U.S. in the World Cup next month.

Klinsmann, who moved back to California with his family in December, wouldn't say whether he would be interested in coaching the U.S. one day.

The one that got away indeed...but hopefully he'll be believe....BELIEVE!

Anyways, what do you guys think? Back in 2007, I was severely disappointed with the failure to get Klinsmann as our manager, but I really do think Bradley was the best American coach possible, and despite some stupid shit, I still like Bradley a heck of a lot more leading up to 2010 then Arena leading up to 2006...

I was also disappointed (well, angry was the word) that Bradley opted to bring the A-team to the Gold Cup rather than Copa America. Looking back at it now though, the Gold Cup led the way to the Confederations Cup, which ultimately led to a memorable 2009...and Gold Cup IS our region, as opposed to Copa...I would have liked to see a better team in the last Copa, but Bradley probably made the right decision.

Still, after the era of Bradley is over (and maybe depending on how we do in this World Cup), we're probably going to need/want an international coach to help push us to the next level...I'm still hoping/praying that Klinsmann will be the one!

xbhaskarx

Gamecocks625 said:
Good news. Although which pairing would be the best? Alidore/Buddle, Altidore/Finley, Altidore/Gomez....Buddle/Gomez? I feel like one of the forwards need some speed.

I'm guessing it's either Altidore/Findley or Buddle/Findley, primarily depending on Altidore's injury status. Either way, Gomez will definitely be a sub.

Findley missed a couple of relatively easy chances, but he was responsible/involved in most of our opportunities due to his speed (excellent analysis by someone over at bigsoccer). I just hope his confidence isn't shot...

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
I was also disappointed (well, angry was the word) that Bradley opted to bring the A-team to the Gold Cup rather than Copa America. Looking back at it now though, the Gold Cup led the way to the Confederations Cup, which ultimately led to a memorable 2009...and Gold Cup IS our region, as opposed to Copa...I would have liked to see a better team in the last Copa, but Bradley probably made the right decision.

Bradley had to choose between the Gold Cup and Copa America, he couldn't take the A-team to both, and he absolutely made the right choice. Without the confidence we got from our second place finish at the Confederations Cup, we would still have the 2006 World Cup failure in our minds right now.

xbhaskarx

ConfusingJazz said:
Makes me want to purposely confuse points and goals.

Start calling them points and perhaps eventually that will be the term everyone uses.

"We look to Los Angeles
For the language we use
London is dead, London is dead"
- Morrissey

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Bradley had to choose between the Gold Cup and Copa America, he couldn't take the A-team to both, and he absolutely made the right choice. Without the confidence we got from our second place finish at the Confederations Cup, we would still have the 2006 World Cup failure in our minds right now.

Understandable, but back in 2007, we wouldn't have known our Confederations Cup run would have been so great, and we had just come off of a very disappointing run in 2006...I wanted to see the US challenge itself more...the caliber of opponents for Copa was much better than Gold Cup!

I still remember that first game against Argentina in the Copa...for 60 minutes, our B team (our C team, really) held held Argentina to a stand still, and I think we even created some scoring chances...then the gates opened for Argentina :lol :lol

Clydefrog

Why does my gut tell me that Findley is going to start against England?

When have any of you ever had faith in Bob Bradley? Remember his substitutions in the confed cup against Brazil?

If only I were religious....

Heretic

Clydefrog said:
Why does my gut tell me that Findley is going to start against England?

When have any of you ever had faith in Bob Bradley? Remember his substitutions in the confed cup against Brazil?

If only I were religious....

He's been pretty active in these past couple of games. Plus he has great speed and ball control; just needs to be able to finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom