• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoplifter

After last night's conference call, I'm pretty much done with AO. They've taken a huge shit on local chapters and can fuck themselves at this point.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Well this is some bullshit.

The United States Soccer Federation and the American Outlaws supporters group will put the fan group's Seattle chapter in charge of all game day operations for all U.S. men's national team games, Goal has learned.

I hope this is Goal.com being Goal.com.

EDIT: Looks like you got the news earlier, shoplifter. The USSF can go fuck themselves on this one.

shoplifter

Our local guys were on the call last night. They offered Capos and were declined. This seriously won't end well.

What I don't get is why you basically destroy an organization built on local chapters in this way.

edit: since I've posted it everywhere else, I'll post it here too. Posted on his twitter in early July. Started a shitstorm.

gHp1Piv.png

I was reading a bit about the AO controversy this morning. If anyone's earned the right to run their own supporter set up for a WCQ it's Columbus. The last few cycles have been great there. Not sure what US Soccer and AO are thinking on this.

daoster

Warring within supporter's group? Only in USA :p

Reading about it, it is kinda amusing. Each city, each local chapter have their own flavor and feel for it. To attempt to homogenize the experience is something I expect from US Soccer, but not from AO. Causing a rift in the supporter community is a freaking horrible idea.

And wow @ tweet (or is it Facebook comment?), major trolling there.

The way this is being reported on Sounder at Heart and the like is that Columbus didn't have the personnel required to capo the 9000-some people in the sections that wanted a capo, and some Seattlities stepped up and got approved since they had done a pretty good job with the Panama game. I'm willing to hear the other side of the story, but with the link posted above, I'm inclined to think this is textbook ressentiment and a tempest in a teapot.

Askani

Here's AO's official statement:

http://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/n...usa-vs-mexico-world-cup-qualifier-in-columbus

AO said:
The American Outlaws statement on the USA vs Mexico World Cup Qualifier in Columbus

info@theamericanoutlaws.com August 28, 2013

Reports published at a handful of soccer websites on The American Outlaws plans for the USA vs Mexico World Cup Qualifer in Columbus are incorrect.

Neither the American Outlaws or the US Soccer Federation are paying for any capo to fly to this game or any future game. The tifo at this crucial qualifier will be organized and run by AO Columbus and local supporters.

AO Seattle is not being tasked to take over the in-stadium experience for this or any future USMNT games outside Seattle. A Seattle takeover of tifo and singing at all USMNT games has never been the plan or intention and any reports of such are false.
This USMNT game is unprecedented with the size and scope of the supporter section. There will be 20-plus supporters sections packed into Columbus Crew Stadium and the majority of those people will be from somewhere other than Columbus. We believe, and our members agree, that we need to have a more organized and unified supporters’ section at all USMNT games. This game has created unique challenges with how to do this.

We have talked and discussed a plan for this game with various members and chapter leaders across the country, including AO Columbus. We even reached out this month looking for capos for the Mexico game. We had several AO members step up and answer the call, offering to organize the supporters sections for this very important game. One of the members stepping up happened to be from Seattle. We have been looking for local and nationwide capos that can represent our nationally diverse section for years now. The need for experienced capos grows as supporters sections at USMNT games, particularly qualifiers and Gold Cup matches, increase in size.

We are always looking for help from our members across this great country. We have asked capos locally and from all over the country to volunteer for this unique experience. We look to have an estimated 14 capos spread across the 20-plus sections. Part of our thinking in addressing the ongoing issue of dueling chants at games is having “main” capos at games.

We are always looking for new people to step up and lead in stadium coordination. As the leading supporters group for the United States National Team we have an obligation, as fans, to be there at every game loud and proud for our boys on the field. We need to live up to this and we will do everything we can to support their efforts on the pitch.
Our goal has always been, and will always be, to Unite and Strengthen fans outside and inside the stadium. We will never rest in our efforts to grow and improve the support for our Yanks.

shoplifter

I'm already hearing from my local guys (DTLIONS1013 knows some of these guys as well) that this is a backpedal from the conference call last night. The local SG folks on the call last night are all level headed individuals and I have no reason to doubt them.

Rumor floating around on BigSoccer via Kicker that John Brooks is getting the call up for the Costa Rica game, but he'll return to Hertha before the Mexico match. If he plays against Costa Rica, then he's cap tied.

Nesotenso

Surprisingly, the US WCQ roster will be up today. Klinsmann is making the announcement on Sportscenter at 3:30PM ET.

really early for JK. Also taking about yanks abroad, Bedoya has looked solid for Nantes in his first two games. If he continues to look impressive, would take him over Zusi.

xbhaskarx

really early for JK. Also taking about yanks abroad, Bedoya has looked solid for Nantes in his first two games. If he continues to look impressive, would take him over Zusi.

Yeah I'm not sure why Zusi is seen as a lock in the starting lineup to the extent that when Donovan was getting multiple goals/assists per game in the Gold Cup some were saying he would be a super sub with the A team. Having said that, there is probably room for both Zusi and Bedoya on a 23 man roster.

Nesotenso

Yeah I'm not sure why Zusi is seen as a lock in the starting lineup to the extent that when Donovan was getting multiple goals/assists per game in the Gold Cup some were saying he would be a super sub with the A team. Having said that, there is probably room for both Zusi and Bedoya on a 23 man roster.

Zusi is skilled with the ball but as an SKC fan, I am aware of his inherent weaknesses: lack of pace and physicality. Could be the 2nd set piece taker after Donovan though.

WCQ Roster

Goalkeepers (3): Howard, Guzan, Rimando.

Defenders (8): Beasley, Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Castillo, Evans, Gonzalez, Orozco.

Midfielders (7) : Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jones, Zusi.

Forwards (5): Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Johannsson & EJ

Nesotenso

WCQ Roster

Goalkeepers (3): Howard, Guzan, Rimando.

Defenders (8): Beasley, Besler, Brooks, Cameron, Castillo, Evans, Gonzalez, Orozco.

Midfielders (7) : Beckerman, Bedoya, Bradley, Diskerud, Fabian Johnson, Jones, Zusi.

Forwards (5): Altidore, Dempsey, Donovan, Johannsson & EJ

ok with it for the most part.
but we need options other than Evans because he is not good enough. Cameron is not a good option at RB either because he is not effective going forward but he is better than Evans who will need help from the RM against better opposition.

hopefully someone pushes Beckerman out as well. would rather see Torres.

edit: he mentions Torres, Corona in the youtube video, glad to know they are still in the loop.

ok with it for the most part.
but we need options other than Evans because he is not good enough. Cameron is not a good option at RB either because he is not effective going forward but he is better than events who will need help from the RM against better opposition.

hopefully someone pushes Beckerman out as well. would rather see Torres.
RB is a minor problem that we need to resolve at some point, but overall I think the roster is very strong. The only tweaks I might want to make are on the fringes of the 23.

PS: What the heck is going on with Chandler?

Nesotenso

RB is a minor problem that we need to resolve at some point, but overall I think the roster is very strong. The only tweaks I might want to make are on the fringes of the 23.

PS: What the heck is going on with Chandler?

he is getting minutes with Nurenberg but he seems to be inconsistent by all accounts. JK also seems miffed at his seeming hesitation to commit 100%. Some say dude has a fear of flying. Could be all of the above.
Parkhurst can't even break into the 18 at Augsburg. He needs to make a transfer and get playing time otherwise going to miss out next year.

A healthy Cherundolo might push Evans out, so I hope Steve returns healthy. Guys like Farrell and Yedlin will probably see time in November friendlies and more likely at January camps

@PCarrESPN: ESPN's Soccer Power Index says the chances of #USMNT clinching on Sept. 6 are 2.1%.

@PCarrESPN: Regardless of other results, #USMNT will clinch a WC berth with four points from the two September games.

Projected lineups:

Jeff Carlisle: Howard; Beasley, Besler, Gonzo, Evans; FJohnson, Bradley, Jones, Donovan; Dempsey, Altidore.
Grant Wahl: Howard; Evans, González, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Dempsey, FJohnson; Altidore.

he is getting minutes with Nurenberg but he seems to be inconsistent by all accounts. JK also seems miffed at his seeming hesitation to commit 100%. Some say dude has a fear of flying. Could be all of the above.
Ah, I see. Weird situation.

Clydefrog

Projected lineups:

Jeff Carlisle: Howard; Beasley, Besler, Gonzo, Evans; FJohnson, Bradley, Jones, Donovan; Dempsey, Altidore.
Grant Wahl: Howard; Evans, González, Besler, Beasley; Bradley, Jones; Donovan, Dempsey, FJohnson; Altidore.

Ah, I see. Weird situation.

I'd go with the 4-4-2 that Carlisle has.

also, I was flattered the other day when I saw a Cornballer Steam friend request! :)

Yellow card risks:
Jeff Carlisle said:
8 players - Altidore, Besler, Bradley, Cameron, Evans, Dempsey, Howard, FJohnson and Jones - are on yellow cards.
One more and they'll take a suspension.

also, I was flattered the other day when I saw a Cornballer Steam friend request! :)
I saw your name come up in my friend activity feed, so I sent a request. :)

daoster

What is this about? You can just PM me, since people will complain if we talk about it here.

Columbus Crew AO chapter (and other local supporter groups) are in a conference call with national AO leadership, USSF, and...Seattle AO chapter.

USSF, and National AO chapter want to send in Seattle AO capos so that they can "coordinate" with the Columbus fans to make it like Seattle.

Columbus fans (and fans from non-Seattle areas) respond, "Don't tread on me"

Probably missing some important details here, so here's an interesting article about it:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/soccer/dan...-are-outlawed-only-outlaws-will-be-americans/

Roster notes from US Soccer:
  • A total of nine players on the U.S. roster are carrying yellow cards. Their next caution will result in a one-match suspension: Jozy Altidore, Matt Besler, Michael Bradley, Geoff Cameron, Brad Evans, Clint Dempsey, Tim Howard, Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones.
  • Altidore has scored in his last five matches for the United States, becoming the only player in U.S. history to accomplish this feat. He is coming off a Budweiser Man of the Match performance in the USA’s 4-3 win against Bosnia-Herzegovina, in which he scored three goals and recorded an assist.
  • Altidore, Bradley, Dempsey and Omar Gonzalez are the only four players to have started all six games in the Hexagonal.
  • Dempsey’s seven goals in this qualifying cycle leads all U.S. scorers. His most recent strike in the campaign proved the game-winner in the 1-0 win against Costa Rica on March 22 in Commerce City, Colo.
  • A total of 11 players were part of the Gold Cup winning squad: DaMarcus Beasley, Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Matt Besler, Edgar Castillo, Mix Diskerud, Landon Donovan, Gonzalez, Eddie Johnson, Michael Orozco and Nick Rimando.
  • Donovan returns to World Cup Qualifying action for the first time since June 12, 2012, the 1-1 draw in Guatemala, an absence spanning 10 matches.
  • He is the USA’s all-time leader in World Cup Qualifying appearances (37), and currently sits on 21 points (7 goals, 7 assists) in 2013. He owns the single-year point record of 22 set in 2007 (9 goals, 4 assists).
  • Eddie Johnson leads all U.S. players with 13 appearances in 2013, and has accumulated four goals and one assist. Beasley, who captained the team in the Gold Cup, has started the most games (12).
  • Besler and Gonzalez have been the center back pairing for the last four qualifiers, beginning with the historic 0-0 draw against Mexico on March 26 in Mexico City.
  • Evans has started at right back for the last five games in which he was available, including three World Cup Qualifiers.
  • Bedoya, who recently transferred to Nantes in Ligue 1 in France, got on the scoresheet for the first time in his international career when he tallied in the 6-0 win against Guatemala on July 5 in San Diego.
  • Two players on the roster made their senior team debut in the win against Bosnia. John Brooks, a dual citizen of the United States and Germany, started at center back. AZ Alkmaar striker Aron Johannsson, born in Mobile, Ala., completed his change of association from Iceland in time to enter as a substitute in the 63rd minute. The 22-year-old has four goals for AZ thus far.
  • With two straight clean sheets in March, Brad Guzan now has five shutouts in seven matches played in qualifying in his career, posting a 4-1-2 record.
  • Guzan was voted the 2013 Aston Villa Player of the Year by both players and supporters.
  • Leagues from eight different countries are represented on the roster.

What is this about? You can just PM me, since people will complain if we talk about it here.

Didn't mean to actually chase you guys out of the thread with my whining. I am just a supporter group hater and am, as the memes say, gonna hate. Please disregard my nonsense and/or return fire.

Nesotenso

I think the price is pretty fair. Spurs recently paid £1.5m for Lewis Holtby when they had a pre-contract agreement for him and it was obviously a bigger move (from a UCL team to a top 5 team).

at least cross a million dollars (not pounds). if you want him so bad, fork it over. Premier League club, compared to the rest of big leagues, can afford it.

Like the Shea move, I don't know how Juan will pan out. Juan is more talented but he needed more games here to polish himself and be a more well rounded player.

Steven Goff said:
Oguchi Onyewu and Sporting Lisbon have officially parted ways. Search for new club begins. #usmnt

#MLS makes some sense for Onyewu, but DP or near-DP contract for 31-yr-old w/injury history and no reg playing time since '12?

xbhaskarx

Looking at these sort of rankings just pisses me off because of how many so called soccer experts in this country are so clueless... I remember when they first started doing this, Jermaine Jones was ranked in like the mid-20s for months and months, as in not good enough to make the 23 man roster for the A team.

- how is Graham Zusi ahead of Tim Howard
- how is EJ 13 and Agudelo 39, ignoring the difference in upside I could argue that Agudelo is better now
- how is Goodson 23 and Brooks 30, same comment ignoring upside...
- Fiscal had a decent Gold Cup, just got called in for qualifiers, and at 62 is right behind two old and perpetually injured fellow CBs DeMerit and Onyewu
- #58 CJ Sapong had one goal in 16 games for KC this year and is now in the third division, yet is ranked above Lee Nguyen (73) and Kelyn Rowe (78) who on good weeks are just embarrassing opposing teams
- I would guess that maybe one of these people has ever seen Gerzicich, most have probably never seen Seb Hines (I'll admit I wouldn't recognize either if not for their photos here)
- I would guess that lazy people just fill out the rest of their lists with guys like Pearce, Larentowicz, Cooper, Dunivant, Cronin, etc. with no regard to how they're currently doing

I don't know if they keep old rankings (probably not as it would be too embarrassing) but I just noticed these comments from 5-6 months ago:
Scott
• 6 months ago

Danny Williams being rated ahead of... Jermaine Jones seems to lack justification.

Anthony Ward
• 5 months ago

And somehow Danny Williams is still ranked at #11. How in the world is he not only ranked at 11 but ranked higher than Jermaine Jones? The dude doesn't even break my top 30.
That's Jones perpetual starter for the US and Schalke, behind Danny WIlliams, who was barely playing for Hoffenheim and is not barely playing for Reading. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom