• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
How did Cameron play today? I only saw the last few minutes of the game.

In Germany... Fabian Johnson starts at LB for Hoffenheim and Jermaine Jones starts for Schalke.

gutshot

Here's a good article from The Independent about the growing popularity of the EPL (and soccer, in general) in the US. I particularly liked this bit, as it supports what I was talking about earlier in this thread.

A study by Repucom into the popularity of the 2011-12 Premier League in the US showed that its games had a cumulative audience of 167 million. More specifically, it found that 28 per cent of men aged 16 to 34 were interested in the Premier League. Even better than that, an ESPN poll last year, asking Americans what their favourite sport was, ranked professional soccer second among 12-24 year olds. It was easily beaten by NFL, of course, but it ranked just ahead of NBA and well ahead of baseball and ice hockey.

Just learned how to use Premier League extra time on demand. Can watch any game live for free in some Comcast markets. I thought this was something extra you had to pay for. Guess I'll check out Sunderland and see how Altidore holds up.

You can use the zip search match finder on the link below for instructions.

http://www.nbcsports.com/extratime

hom3land

Just learned how to use Premier League extra time on demand. Can watch any game live for free in some Comcast markets. I thought this was something extra you had to pay for. Guess I'll check out Sunderland and see how Altidore holds up.

You can use the zip search match finder on the link below for instructions.

http://www.nbcsports.com/extratime

It's insane. ITS All FREE!! I say free as my cable bill hasn't gone up because of this.

CobbFC09

Watching Jozy Altidore's debut with Sunderland and he really hasn't gotten many touches in the 20 minutes I've watched. The goals are sure to come if the service is there though.

methodman

Banned
sunderland started trying long balls in the last 20 minutes of that game. that's not how Jozy will score for them... need a build up to get it to him and I don't know if sunderland has the players to do that. damn

CobbFC09

sunderland started trying long balls in the last 20 minutes of that game. that's not how Jozy will score for them... need a build up to get it to him and I don't know if sunderland has the players to do that. damn
But to his defense, he did do pretty well being holding off defenders and laying the ball off.

Overall, Jozy looked great today he just didn't manage to find the back of the net. It's too bad because the lack of a goal is definitely sure to bring out the haters from his Hull City days.

32 touches for Jozy today:

QeVaDri.jpg

daoster

Yeah...Stoke is in a scary position....like I dunno why Juan Agudelo is going over there. Surely there are teams in other leagues that would be much better for him and his development, or else it'd be Jozy @ Hull again. Mark Hughes man, especially after his disaster with QPR, I'm surprised he was still able to land an EPL team.

I think Jozy played good yesterday. Not great, but good, and he made things difficult for defenders.

Next three games are Southampton, Crystal Palace, and Arsenal. I expect him to score in at least one of those games. The team is full of new players, it'll take them awhile before they run together easily, so..

Also, nice to see Bacon on the score sheet, basically picking up where Altidore left off. Hope he makes it into the next couple qualifiers.

It's strange that they made this a point of emphasis about a year ago(?) and since then things have regressed to where they were before. I completely agree that they need to protect the players, and it's been tough to watch so many bad tackles this year.

Well, there hasn't been many gruesome injuries tihs year like the Zakuani, Ferriera et al injuries that were really terrible back in 2010 (?), but it does seem like allowing overly physical play has reduced the technical prowess on display. I'd want the change even without the risk of injury; I'd rather see Ferriera and Rosales spraying beautiful passes than be chopped down every time they so much as think about getting on the ball.

gutshot

@Cnyari said:
Bad news for Steve Cherundolo as he has to be operated on again on his knee. Hannover now need to look into getting cover at right back.

Brad Evans, congratulations! You just made the WC2014 squad.

Well, there hasn't been many gruesome injuries tihs year like the Zakuani, Ferriera et al injuries that were really terrible back in 2010 (?), but it does seem like allowing overly physical play has reduced the technical prowess on display. I'd want the change even without the risk of injury; I'd rather see Ferriera and Rosales spraying beautiful passes than be chopped down every time they so much as think about getting on the ball.
Absolutely.

Brad Evans, congratulations! You just made the WC2014 squad.
Ugh. I guess it's a three-way battle between Evans, Parkhurst, and Chandler for that spot unless someone else emerges. Have to think that Evans has the edge until we figure out where his ceiling is.

American Soccer Now's poll question asking who's the best RB with Dolo out: Spector, Cameron, Sean Franklin, Chandler, Lichaj, Parkhurst, Beltran, Yedlin, or Evans.

Nesotenso

Evans didn't struggle against Bosnia but he didn't excel either. we can all agree that he is never gonna develop a crossing ability or pace. Whoever is playing on the right side with him has to drop back to assist him.

Chandler is in poor form and Parkhurst can't even make the 18 at Augsburg.

daoster

It's crazy to think that the rocks of our defense for the big part of the last couple of years will have their international careers basically end so unceremoniously. It's kind of sad. :(

Meier

Can confirm that NBC Sports Live Extra streaming does not work on mobile devices or the web for Time Warner Cable subscribers. Piece of shit.

Thank goodness I have a friend with Comcast who lets me use his log-in info. Was talking about how I wouldn't cut the cord thanks to the streaming options but they don't even apply to me. Ugh, I am so ready for Google Fiber.. hopefully they have NBCSN.

daoster

Donovan quotes from a recent interview:

EDIT: Here's the video interview from Fox Soccer Daily

Honestly, I think he's gonna be in LA next year. With Clint moving back, and Omar getting a big paycheck, I wouldn't be surprised of Donovan stays. Would be exciting to see him compete in Europe though!

honestly he would probably be good at Sunderland. Could give Jozy some service.

If he does go to Europe, I hope he goes to a better team than Sunderland.

Nesotenso

I didn't watch Sunderland last year, but I liked what I saw against Fulham. I think they finish mid table and stay well ahead of the relegation zone.
Stoke on the other hand, are in deep trouble. That is one sorry lineup of forwards.

Greg Seltzer with the early word on Donovan suitors:
And then we'll get it started rapidamente. I've got multiple sources passing over that L.A. Galaxy star (and winter freebie) Landon Donovan has the Serie A trio of Genoa, Sassulo and Hellas Verona interested in his services to some degree past mere scouting.

And while those three clubs have already made calls, it's the one that might come later that will really have you all buzzing. I've been informed that AC Milan are considering making a summer transfer offer for Donovan if they can get past PSV Eindhoven into the Champions League group stage. It's an exciting contingency, but we'll all have to wait to see how possible it really ends up being.

I'm not sure when a full report will go up, as I am still digging around in several other places.

Meier

It's Serie A but those are some pretty poor options. Genoa is the only one who is a Serie A mainstay and they're perennially at the bottom of the table, just avoiding relegation.

I doubt any of those clubs could even come close to paying him as much as the Galaxy but if he wants to play in Italy, good for him. Verona may be a more realistic option if they sell Jorginho.

- HANNOVER OPTIMISTIC ON CHERUNDOLO
US national team right back Steve Cherundolo underwent his third knee surgery of 2013 today but he is expected to be back soon.

Cherundolo, 34, has been plagued with knee problems for most of this year and has not played for the U.S team since last October. His first surgery was an arthroscopic procedure in February. He later returned for the final few games of the 2012/13 Bundesliga season but underwent a second procedure in June.

The latest procedure completed today was to remove scar tissue. Although Hannover would not give a definitive timeline for his return, the club expects it to be sooner than later.

"The very short operation was today," Hannover press officer Alex Jacob told YA on Tuesday. "The doctor cut a small scar tissue. Stevie will be back soon."

Cherundolo is Hannover 96's all-time appearance leader in the Bundesliga having played in his 300th game last year. The one-club defender from the University of Portland was named the team's captain in 2010.
Glad to hear it's not going to keep him on the shelf for that long.

xbhaskarx

The problem with that is we have plenty of outside midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, but no other decent left backs.

Potential non-central midfielders (play 3 when one of Dempsey/Donovan is played centrally):
Donovan
Dempsey
FJohnson

Johannsson
Zusi
Beasley
Shea
EJohnson
Corona
Bedoya
Castillo

Potential left backs (play 1):
FJohnson
Castillo (worse at LB)
Beasley (worse at LB)
Lichaj? (hasn't been called in under JK, worse at LB than RB)
???

We need as many quality players on the field as we can get, I'd rather have FJohnson at LB and Johannsson or Zusi out there, than FJohnson with Castillo or Beasley starting at LB.

Donovan cannot go to Milan this year. In Italy clubs are only allowed to sign two non-EU players per year, and we already signed Vergara and Honda.
Seltzer addressed that in a follow up story. Sounds like a bit of a pipe dream in any case.
The problem with that is we have plenty of outside midfielders in a 4-2-3-1, but no other decent left backs.
I've drawn up a few lineups, and one of the major decisions is if you play FJ at LB or LW. I would guess that we'll see it both ways depending on the injury situation and match up. If both FJ and Beasley are available, I'm curious who gets the start down in Costa Rica.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom