• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Like the Shea move, I don't know how Juan will pan out. Juan is more talented but he needed more games here to polish himself and be a more well rounded player.

In what way does Agudelo need polish? How many MLS forwards are, right now, more polished than him?

I'm starting to think these phrases are just code for young. Agudelo needs more polish but Eddie Johnson has no idea what to do with the ball at his feet half the time and no one says he needs polish or more games to become a "well rounded player" because he's almost 30. Or Conor Casey. Ives recently said that Brooks was raw... He looks pretty damn smooth to me, if he's raw what does that make Gonzalez or Goodson or Onyewu?

I think it's some risk-averse thing, stick with what is familiar. If the internet was around in 2002 people would have probably said "whoa calm down no need to rush a raw unpolished player like Donovan onto the roster for the World Cup" and favored that era's equivalent of Brad Davis instead... talent is talent and sports (aside from a few things like goalkeeprs, knuckleballers, etc.) is a young man's game.

I think it's some risk-averse thing, stick with what is familiar. If the internet was around in 2002 people would have probably said "whoa calm down no need to rush a raw unpolished player like Donovan onto the roster for the World Cup" and favored that era's equivalent of Brad Davis instead... talent is talent and sports (aside from a few things like goalkeeprs, knuckleballers, etc.) is a young man's game.

It's this for sure. No one wants to over hype one of the young guys and have them be the next Freddy Adu or Brek Shea.

(too harsh?)

xbhaskarx

It's this for sure. No one wants to over hype one of the young guys and have them be the next Freddy Adu or Brek Shea.

(too harsh?)

I think it's too early to label Shea a bust. Now there's a guy who really is raw and unpolished. He needs to work on his touch and to develop some better ideas when having to take on higher quality defenders. But he certainly has the athletic ability to succeed, whether he has the determination and work ethic is another thing...

shoplifter

Anyone that wants a poster send me a PM. I reserve the right to cut off the list if I get more requests than I'll be able to handle in a drunken stupor.

Nesotenso

i would be more confident about a Agudelo move if he had at least one consistent MLS season under his belt. He has talent, no doubt about that. Hope he does well at Stoke even if I hate the way they play. The move might turn out to be great if gets some competitive minutes.

Meier

Keep in mind that the print they sold for the snow game was like $100 or something similarly outrageous. Have they announced the price on this one? Shoplifter might be biting off more than he can chew. :lol

shoplifter

Yeah, I want to make sure it's not absurd, otherwise I'll need payment up front. I also want to ensure they're tubed, etc. need to also check shipping costs.

So far the list

1) xbhaskarx
2) daoster
3) b-dubs

Edit: I also work at Easton where the Fan HQ will be setup. I can go buy these at lunch next Friday which is a much better proposition than puttin them all in my car all day while I'm trying to help the local SG folks out with logistics and being generally shitfaced all day.

Nesotenso

No way. Wtf. Not Gonna watch shitty Sunderland if Altidore isn't playing

just gonna watch college football.

edit: early word is food poisoning.

edit2: seems Sky broadcast says hamstring injury. Fucking great. WCQs soon coming up and today could have been great chance to shine against a team in all likelihood can get relegated.

Sounds like Evans is not traveling for the upcoming WCQ's after a calf injury.

Not sure if Parkhurst gets called in now or if Klinsmann is just going to play Cameron there.

xbhaskarx

Not only does Parkhurst not play at all for Augsburg, he consistently doesn't even make the gameday roster. Forget about qualifiers, he needs a loan asap.

Chandler? Lichaj??

Can't see Klinsmann calling in anyone that hasn't played at RB recently for the team. Regarding Lichaj, he said that he's on the radar but won't get a call up soon as "the time for experimentation is over." I hope to see Lichaj at a friendly in the late-Fall so we can get a look at him.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Wouldn't playing guys that aren't fullbacks as fullbacks count as experimentation? He just doesn't like Lichaj for some reason.

Parkhurst and Edu need to get loaned out.

Steven Goff's list of which Americans Abroad played this weekend. Bradley should be fresh and pissed off after coming off the bench for Roma.

Wouldn't playing guys that aren't fullbacks as fullbacks count as experimentation? He just doesn't like Lichaj for some reason.
I think he means in the sense "if you haven't played RB for me recently, we're not going to call you in to play that role in a critical qualifier", but I agree with your premise. No reason to shoehorn people in there. He did say nice things about Lichaj last week, so I imagine we'll see him in sometime in the future.

Nesotenso

Steven Goff's list of which Americans Abroad played this weekend. Bradley should be fresh and pissed off after coming off the bench for Roma.

I think he means in the sense "if you haven't played RB for me recently, we're not going to call you in to play that role in a critical qualifier", but I agree with your premise. No reason to shoehorn people in there. He did say nice things about Lichaj last week, so I imagine we'll see him in sometime in the future.

Think Bradley going to be doing a lot of that this season. DDR, Strootman and Pjanic midfield is just better. He will probably be the first option coming off the bench, rotation, injuries etc. Wish Roma had won Coppa Italia last year. Could have gotten Europa league games. It is not that he has been poor, Bradley just has better talent in front of him .

Via Galarcep, Parkhurst added to the WCQ roster to replace Evans.
Think Bradley going to be doing a lot of that this season. DDR, Strootman and Pjanic midfield is just better. He will probably be the first option coming off the bench, rotation, injuries etc. Wish Roma had won Coppa Italia last year. Could have gotten Europa league games. It is not that he has been poor, Bradley just has better talent in front of him .
We'll have to wait and see what happens. That midfield is stacked, but Bradley has a way of making himself useful.

Nesotenso

Parkhurst needs to find a new club and get playing time. Guessing he is calling him over Chandler because he called Michael in the GC. But if the reason for Chandler is that he is not up to snuff, then it would make no sense if Parkhurst is given a shot in October while not playing at club. Dude doesn't even make the 18 at Augsburg.

we got rid of aging CBs by blooding in new players. If the USA qualify, call in Yedlin and Chandler in October. Cherundolo hopefully comes back to get into the fold in October.

Ideally for Brazil, a healthy Cherundolo and Chandler. And Cameron providing cover at RB, CB and CDM.

CobbFC09

I had been gone all weekend and didn't even realize Jozy had gotten injured.

USWNT plays Mexico tonight in an international friendly.

RFK Stadium; Washington, D.C.
Sep. 3, 2013 @ 8 p.m. ET
FOX Sports 1

Some new faces (Morgan Brian, Erika Tymrak, and Leigh Ann Robinson) got call ups and will hopefully get some playing time.

Via Brian Straus:
"We're expecting you..." The cover of today's Al Dia:

jCgZ5ij.jpg

shoplifter

US/MEX Poster List -

1) xbhaskarx
2) daoster
3) b-dubs

Still trying to find out how much they are, I haven't had any luck. The store is open Friday at 3pm, so it's going to be an 'after work' type thing. Please let me know how quickly you can paypal the costs to me. I'm anticipating shipping being somewhere in the neighborhood after $5-$10, so if these are $100, you're looking at $115 after tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom