• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two US fans greet the team at the airport in Costa Rica.

c783uXF.jpg

Grant Wahl in Costa Rica with the team:
@GrantWahl: Jozy Altidore stretching with US teammates at training, but unlike them he's wearing running shoes, not soccer cleats.
:/

EDIT:
@GrantWahl: Gamesmanship central: Costa Ricans didn't provide game balls to US for training per usual protocol. (US using its own Nike balls instead.)

Yikes, I hope Jozy is gonna be able to play.
Probably will be touch and go until Friday. They could be just taking it easy on him or he could still be hurting. Who knows...
Also wtf Costa Rica?
This sort of thing happens a lot in CONCACAF and Costa Rica is still pissed off about the snow game.

More from Wahl:
@GrantWahl: Gamesmanship 2: Costa Rica FA gave US contacts for training sites. All said no. US made own plans.

Galarcep's projected lineup:
PROJECTED USMNT LINEUP vs. COSTA RICA

—————————Eddie Johnson——————————

Fabian Johnson———Clint Dempsey———Landon Donovan

—————Jermaine Jones——Michael Bradley—————

DaMarcus Beasley———————————-Geoff Cameron

———————-Matt Besler—–Omar Gonzalez—————

——————————Tim Howard—————————–
If Altidore can't start, that looks about right to me.

Reading through some stuff from Jeff Carlisle, it sounds like Parkhurst had a loan deal on the table from 1860 Munich, but it fell through when their manager got fired. Brondby also offered him a loan deal, but he turned it down because of their precarious financial situation.

Askani

Fans are fans. While it's extreme, I don't care about what they do so long as they don't touch/injure/throw things at the players. Sometime I wish we stepped our verbal bashing game when player arrive.

However the Soccer Federation of the country should be held accountable for no training field and the equipment snub. I know, they aren't required to provide that, but host countries and soccer administration should be responsible for it. Not like it really hinders us, but that's over the line and really shows how shitty their sportsmanship is. I hope we hang 8 goals on them.

Tweets from the US Press Conference today:
@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann on 9 players w/yellow cards: "It doesn't [affect] our lineup...We're not holding back by any means." #usmnt

@GrantWahl: Klinsmann reiterates that it's "unfortunate" a Mexican referee was assigned to US game 4 days before US plays Mexico (8 players on yellows).

@SoccerByIves: Klinsmann says there are several players on standby who could be called into #USMNT after Friday's CR qualifier, based on cards/injuries

@SoccerByIves: Klinsmann makes it clear #USMNT won't take defensive approach in Friday's qualifier. "We will play our game and see what they do with that."

@JeffreyCarlisle: Klinsmann on current winning streak: "It's not even discussed." #usmnt

@GrantWahl: If Altidore hasn't trained fully in about a week, it sounds like it would be hard for him to start tomorrow.

@JeffreyCarlisle: Reading the tea leaves, not to mention the fact that he hasn't trained fully in a week, can't see Altidore starting vs. CR. #usmnt

@JeffreyCarlisle: Michael Bradley: "If we want to play more than three games at a World Cup, we need Landon." #usmnt

@BrianSciaretta: Hard to believe the last time Altidore, Donovan, Dempsey, and Bradley all started for the #usmnt was 6/14/11. Never under Klinsmann

@JeffreyCarlisle: Donovan says the gamesmanship is "standard operating procedure." #usmnt

@SoccerInsider: Donovan: "We like our chances against this team playing on grass vs turf ... But still a difficult game" #usmnt #NoSaprissa
Should be some full quotes up later.

Meier

Is the game going to be on TV? I know some of the home games for the CONCACAF teams are only available via PPV and shitty stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom