• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few pics from training today:
wmAgqKA.jpg

FbJZWmp.jpg

nIX6biC.jpg

Bonus:

V9Oed15.jpg

Bradley's smiling.

Steven Goff said:
Clint Dempsey (calf) & Fabian Johnson (ankle) scratched from #usmnt roster for Scotland & Austria friendlies. No replacements named

EDIT:
US Soccer said:
U.S. Men’s National Team forward Clint Dempsey and midfielder Fabian Johnson have been sidelined by injury and forced to withdraw from the U.S. roster for the upcoming friendlies against Scotland and Austria. No replacements will be added to the squad.

Dempsey suffered a right calf strain during training Wednesday morning in Glasgow. Fabian Johnson is still bothered by a persistent right ankle injury and will return to Hoffenheim for further evaluation.

mexico still owes us

damn straight. I watched a short piece on ESPN this week about the economic impact their National team brings to the Mexican economy and the ramifications of not qualifying for the world cup. Pretty eye opening.

Looks like Mexico won't have to worry about that now, unless they lose by more than 4 goals to NZ

- MLS Soccer from today's USMNT press conference: Jurgen Klinsmann says absence of Clint Dempsey ahead of Scotland friendly a "real bummer"
“It’s a big bummer for us, really,” Klinsmann said Thursday. “He’s our captain, and he’s a leader in our group. What he’s done for us over the past couple of years for us is priceless and seeing him limping off the field the other morning was a real shock to us.

“He was really hungry for these two friendlies. Since coming back to the US, he’s struggled a little bit because of injury and I think it was a little overwhelming first few months for him because of the pressure. He had just started to settle and get back into a good rhythm, looking physically good this week, and then this happens. He’ll get a couple of weeks of rest and then he’ll come back. It’s a big blow.”
Klinsmann earlier this month said he was set to invite Bayern Munich youngster Julian Green to his training camp in Europe, but the US coach on Thursday said the 18-year-old, who recently signed a professional contract with the European champions, is in fact with the Germany U-19 team.

“No, Julian’s not with us,” Klinsmann said. “We have had really good talks with him and his parents, and it’s one of these cases where we show them what we are doing. We have been communicating with them and at the end of the day he needs to make his decision. If that is before or after the World Cup, we don’t know. He needs to make that decision when he’s comfortable to make it, however far away that is down the road. There’s no rush at all.”

Today’s lineup for #USAvSCO. It's a 4-2-3-1: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Cameron, Beasley; Bradley, Jones; Bedoya, Kljestan, Johnson; Altidore

I'm not going to be able to watch live today, but I'll catch it on the DVR later.

Nesotenso

Today’s lineup for #USAvSCO. It's a 4-2-3-1: Howard; Evans, Gonzalez, Cameron, Beasley; Bradley, Jones; Bedoya, Kljestan, Johnson; Altidore

I'm not going to be able to watch live today, but I'll catch it on the DVR later.

still don't like the options at right back and left back. Playing Eddie Johnson on the left makes no sense.

xbhaskarx

Klinsmann need to do whatever he can to bring in Chandler, the World Cup is approaching and Brad Evans at RB is not going to cut it. Good effort Beasley and Evans, you got us through CONCACAF, but it's time for Johnson/Chandler...

Also, Johannsson needs to be used a lot more, he can change the game with this skills, it's silly to have him lower on the depth chart just because he's new... and how is Kljestan ahead of Diskerud, he never does anything with the national team.

Also, Johannsson needs to be used a lot more, he can change the game with this skills, it's silly to have him lower on the depth chart just because he's new... and how is Kljestan ahead of Diskerud, he never does anything with the national team.

He's been lighting it up though. Probably best to give him a shot as starter to see if he can work off of that

toxk_02

Black Republican
Question for anyone going to Brazil next summer, any recommendations on travel arrangements? Or am I too late at this point? I'm a little hesitant to piece something together myself but I don't see a lot of packages available (figure agencies are waiting for the draw before offering packages). I'm pretty deep on the AO waitlist so figure I'll have to do something else.

xbhaskarx

The Washington Post had an interesting article on Briana Scurry and concussions in soccer:

Her biggest save
Soccer star confronts the concussion that killed her career and clouded her life

a growing body of research suggests that - counter to the popular imagery of young men smashing into each other in football and hockey - female athletes suffer relatively more concussions than their male counterparts, and they struggle with more dramatic symptoms when they do.

In high school sports that have similar rules for boys and girls, girls get concussions at twice the rate, according to a 2011 study in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. Another study found that among all collegiate athletes, female soccer players had the highest overall concussion rates.

Researchers also don’t entirely understand why women seem to suffer more concussions than men. The most common theory: Women have smaller and weaker necks, which makes their heads more prone to the violent snapping that results in serious concussions. Estrogen levels and cerebral bloodflow, which differ by sex, may also play a role.

Concussions also tend to amplify certain preexisting conditions, and women experience far higher migraine, anxiety and depression rates than men. But there’s also a serious risk of reporting bias: Perhaps women only appear to get more headaches because women are more comfortable speaking up when they’re hurt. An extensive study released last week by the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council warns that young athletes in particular face a “culture of resistance” when it comes to reporting and treating concussions.

Whatever the reasons, the numbers are dramatic. In Caswell’s study of high school athletes at Fairfax County Public Schools, girls were almost twice as likely to suffer a concussion as boys in sports whose rules and equipment were similar for both sexes. A study of high school and college athletes in 2007 found that soccer carried the highest concussion risk of any women's sport. Perhaps most surprisingly, it found that women playing soccer in college suffered concussions at a higher overall rate than athletes in any other sport, including football. Researchers point out that these figures take both games and practices into account, which could skew the concussion rates in sports like soccer, where athletes often practice in game-like conditions.

Statistics indicate that most female soccer players who get concussions do so while heading the ball - or, more accurately, while heading other players in the attempt.

Concussions.jpg

This recent report also found that rates were higher in girls soccer:

Preps at greater concussion risk
With high school football playoffs starting around the country, a leading medical body on Wednesday released a 306-page, NFL-funded report that found the sport not only has by far the highest rates of concussions at the interscholastic level, but also that the average high school player is nearly twice as likely to suffer a brain injury as a college player.

A panel of medical experts convened by the National Academy of Sciences analyzed a series of academic studies, with the most recent showing that college football players suffer concussions at a rate of 6.3 concussions per 10,000 "athletic exposures" -- each exposure representing a practice or game. For high school football players, the comparable figure is 11.2.

Reported H.S. Concussion Rates

Rates per 10,000 athletic exposures, as reported by athletic trainers, by sport:
Sport Boys Girls
Football 11.2 NA
Lacrosse 6.9 5.2
Soccer 4.2 6.7
Wrestling 6.2 NA
Basketball 2.8 5.6
Field Hockey NA 4.2
Softball NA 1.6
Baseball 1.2 NA
Source: National Academy of Sciences, Datalys Center (2010-12)

So Mexico v. New Zealand is Wednseday @ 1am EST if I'm reading that correctly. Any networks planning on broadcasting it in the states? Would be hilarious if New Zealand gets up 3-0 early just to scare Mexico.

Clydefrog

You guys ready for tomorrow? An historic day for international soccer? The day that 6-0 becomes a memorable phrase? New Zealand 6 – 0 Mexico. Egypt 6 – 0 Ghana.

kiwinoyg0.jpg
sphinx3eb7u.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom