• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brief notes:

- Altidore turns 24 today. Happy Birthday, Jozy. I always forget how young he is.
- Fabian Johnson is struggling for fitness after returning from injury, but he might make the bench for his Bundesliga game this weekend
- Jones is starting for Schalke against Chelsea in the Champions League today

Chandler ?
No mention of him, unfortunately.

European action today:
Brian Sciaretta said:
Two Americans in action today in the Europa League: Aron Johannsson & AZ host Shakhter Karagandy . Terrence Boyd & Rapid Vienna host Genk

EDIT: Champions League bonus: Zlatan told me I have a terrible moustache, says Anderlecht player
A few of the Anderlecht players have lifted the lid on what Zlatan Ibrahimovic told them during Tuesday night's Champions League match against Paris Saint-Germain. The game ended 1-1 after the Swede scored the equaliser for the home team but Sacha Kljestan told a Belgian newspaper that he had been surprised by some of the comments made after challenges.

"After a perfectly normal challenge, Ibra turned to me and provoked me, making a joke about my moustache, saying: 'That really is terrible,'" a smiling Kljestan told Het Nieuwsblad. "I responded by saying that he should think about his nose."

xVf86ij.jpg

Just wanted to thank the people posting many links and such here, even if they don't necessarily get a lot of discussion. I often don't have much to add, but I still find the links enjoyable. Keep it up!

Announcements of callups are starting to trickle in from teams. Kljestan, Cameron, and Shea on their way to meet up with the USMNT after their games this weekend.

Nesotenso

Announcements of callups are starting to trickle in from teams. Kljestan, Cameron, and Shea on their way to meet up with the USMNT after their games this weekend.

Calling in Shea seems odd but he probably wants to see where he is at. Dude has a very slim chance of making it in.

Calling in Shea seems odd but he probably wants to see where he is at. Dude has a very slim chance of making it in.
We don't have many true wingers, particularly on the left side. It's a short trip for him, too.

Supposedly Tim Ream is on standby for the US squad, too, whatever that means.

- Cherundolo is on the bench for Hannover today. I guess his knee wasn't as bad as feared
- Julian Green signed a new four year professional deal with Bayern today

- Bedoya starts for Nantes and picks up an assist
- Bradley comes in off the bench to replace an injured player in the 30th minute with Roma up 1-0
- Altidore is on the bench for Sunderland who are up 1-0 on Man City at HT

US roster should be out later today or, more likely, out tomorrow.

- Johannsson starts for AZ against Feyenoord
- Boyd starts for Rapid Vienna
- US Soccer confirms that they will announce the full roster tomorrow

- Grant Wahl on the LAG players for the upcoming friendly:
Landon Donovan is out and Omar González is in on the U.S. men’s national team squad for upcoming friendlies at Scotland and Austria, a Los Angeles source tells SI.com.

No reasons were given for Donovan’s absence from the U.S. roster, but González’s presence shows that U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann has no problem calling in Los Angeles Galaxy players for these games.

Donovan’s last U.S. appearance came in October’s home World Cup qualifying win against Jamaica. He was somewhat surprisingly pulled from the game at halftime in a decision that Klinsmann described as “performance-based.”

The two-time defending MLS champion Galaxy was eliminated from the MLS quarterfinals on Thursday by Salt Lake. As SI.com and Fox Sports television reported last Monday, Klinsmann is not expected to call up any U.S. national team players who are still involved in the MLS playoffs (a group that includes Graham Zusi, Matt Besler, Brad Davis, Kyle Beckerman and Nick Rimando).

EDIT: Sounds like Donovan is injured and needs some time off. Sciaretta notes that Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan, and Altidore have never started a game together under Klinsmann.

Nesotenso

Hope Bradley's insertion into the lineup is not blamed for Roma's draw today. Poor finishing really cost them. Bradley had a nice through ball for Ljajic which he failed to convert.

US Soccer said:
U.S. ROSTER BY POSITION - Detailed Roster

GOALKEEPERS (3) : Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)
DEFENDERS (7) : DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Eric Lichaj (Nottingham Forest), Michael Orozco (Puebla)
MIDFIELDERS (7) : Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Roma), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Fabian Johnson (Hoffenheim), Jermaine Jones (Schalke), Sacha Kljestan (Anderlecht), Brek Shea (Stoke City)
FORWARDS (6) : Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Terrence Boyd (Rapid Vienna), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Eddie Johnson (Seattle Sounders FC), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)
Quotes from Klinsmann.

Goodson is nursing an injury, so he skipped out on this call up. I'm surprised Wondo's in there because he's been on a broken foot over the last part of the season, and last I heard he needed surgery on it. Maybe he's waiting until after these games. Glad to see Lichaj in there since the US is so light at outside backs, but it's disappointing that Chandler isn't going to make it.

Nesotenso

Goodson is nursing an injury, so he skipped out on this call up. I'm surprised Wondo's in there because he's been on a broken foot over the last part of the season, and last I heard he needed surgery on it. Maybe he's waiting until after these games. Glad to see Lichaj in there since the US is so light at outside backs, but it's disappointing that Chandler isn't going to make it.

god knows what more he needs to do at this point. I thought it was reported he played well in the game scouted by US coaches. And who is Wondo kidding if he thinks he is good enough to go to Brazil. If you are filling out roster space, why not call in someone like Agudelo. At least it would give his work permit hearing a boost.

god knows what more he needs to do at this point. I thought it was reported he played well in the game scouted by US coaches.
Yeah, it's a strange situation. He's playing well enough, so I'd assume it's more his unwillingness travel for qualifiers and that sort of thing.
And who is Wondo kidding if he thinks he is good enough to go to Brazil.
It's not Wondo's call. Put it on Klinsmann and the coaching staff if you think it's an issue.

Other notes:
US Soccer says Donovan, Guzan, Castillo & Goodson all dealing with injuries that kept them from being selected.
#USMNT roster by club country: U.S. 7, England 5, Germany 3, Mexico 2, 1 each for AUT, BEL, FRA, ITA, NED, NOR.

Askani

- MLS playoffs coming up
- People bitch at MLS about not respecting International break
- Klinsman says he will call up MLS playoff players if needed
- MLS adjusts playoff schedule around FIFA break
- Klinsman doesn't call up anyone involved in the playoffs
- MLS now has a 2 week break in the middle of a playoff leg for nothing

So much derp,

Nesotenso

- MLS playoffs coming up

So much derp,

It might not be needed this time around, but I hope they keep respecting FIFA dates in the future at least for friendlies. Don't think longer tournaments are viable.

Askani

It might not be needed this time around, but I hope they keep respecting FIFA dates in the future at least for friendlies. Don't think longer tournaments are viable.

I hope the keep respecting it too. This just happens to be a perfect storm of failure all around.

I'm kind of talking out of my ass anyway since I don't really have a better playoff format anyway. I mean, I have one in my head, but I don't really have a compelling reason to say "mine is better that that one".

Nesotenso

It's not Wondo's call. Put it on Klinsmann and the coaching staff if you think it's an issue.

I think Agudelo would have made more sense. He is obviously more talented and going to Europe before his winter move would hardly be detrimental. And getting selected might have made his case for work permit easier showing that he might make it into the world cup squad. But then again, Robbie Rogers got one.

- Brian Sciaretta with a round up on this week's Yanks Abroad action

- MLS playoffs coming up

So much derp,
Supposedly there were some issues with other CONCACAF federations not agreeing to doing MLS playoffs through the international window because they were concerned about the WCQ play in game. Sounds like US Soccer wanted to just keep on playing and not worry about it.

I think Agudelo would have made more sense. He is obviously more talented and going to Europe before his winter move would hardly be detrimental. And getting selected might have made his case for work permit easier showing that he might make it into the world cup squad. But then again, Robbie Rogers got one.
I agree that Agudelo is a better choice for a number of reasons. I just put that on the coaching staff, not on the player. Maybe we're saying the same thing here in the end.

You missed a real mollywopping. Hope Solo put on a clinic in the second half with some great saves and immaculately-sculpted eyebrows.

i3x0dPUPL1t3i.gif

I mean no disrespect to anybody, but you know how GAF is. Our women's team did a fantastic job, as always.

However, is there a team in the world with more attractive players than the US? By all means, if there is, let me know. :)

I mean no disrespect to anybody, but you know how GAF is. Our women's team did a fantastic job, as always.

However, is there a team in the world with more attractive players than the US? By all means, if there is, let me know. :)

Naw. You can appreciate the beauty of athleticism. Nothing wrong with that.

New Zealand is probably the only team that comes close at the moment. But no one comes close to the combination of athleticism and ATHLETICISM of the USA Women's National Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom