• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
New Zealand came to play

welp :(

You got me all excited, then I turned the game on. Damn it New Zealand! Give me my damn impossible upset.

EDIT: Looks like Mexico finally got their shit together. NZ is dead in the water. Even if they win, by some miracle, no way do they get the margin they need.

Stoke City said:
Potters bid to secure work permit for Juan Agudelo rejected

STOKE CITY have been unsuccessful in their bid to secure a work permit for US international Juan Agudelo.

Chief Executive Tony Scholes and manager Mark Hughes presented City’s case to an appeals panel hearing in London today.

The panel, however, rejected the Club’s case and as the Potters have no right to appeal the decision, the 20-year-old striker’s hopes of securing a move to the Britannia Stadium in January have been effectively ended.

Scholes said: “We’re bitterly disappointed that the panel rejected our appeal for a work permit for Juan.

“The criteria by which the panel should make work permit application decisions are well established and have been in place for some years and, despite recent comments to the media and discussion in the media, that criteria has not changed.

“We are therefore left amazed that our application for a work permit for Juan has been rejected when you compare his talent and ability to players who have been granted a work permit on appeal in the past.

“Unfortunately, under the rules of the appeal panel system we were given no explanation why the application was rejected and so can only speculate as to the reasons why we have been unsuccessful.”
:(

daoster

Lot of complaining about Jones, which I tend to agree with. Odds are he's here to stay, but I feel like he needs to be more defensive going forward and let Bradley run the attack.

Yeah...that's been a common theme this year when Jones and Bradley play together. If he hasn't learned it now......

xbhaskarx

From Yurt in the Footy thread:

BZd5dqFCUAAGcp3.jpg:large

That's just a screencap of this site which has been getting posted here and pretty much everywhere else over the last few months...

http://ultra-zone.net/2014-FIFA-World-Cup-Group-Stage-Draws

Not a fan of J Jones. Don't get why he starts so much. Am I alone in this thinking? Am I missing something that he brings to the table that I'm not seeing?

Nesotenso

One of the biggest worries going into the world cup besides injuries will be the form of some key guys. Altidore's form and performance is my biggest concern.

The field of 32 looks tough. As Klinsmann said, there appear to be a lot of competitive groups.

One of the biggest worries going into the world cup besides injuries will be the form of some key guys. Altidore's form and performance is my biggest concern.

The field of 32 looks tough. As Klinsmann said, there appear to be a lot of competitive groups.

Remember in 2010 the US technically won their group, and it had England in it! Hopefully in 2014 we'll at least finish 2nd even with a strong pool

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Remember in 2010 the US technically won their group, and it had England in it! Hopefully in 2014 we'll at least finish 2nd even with a strong pool

Yea but England was the only strong team in that pool other than the US. That pool was called EASY in the British papers for a reason.

I think we can make it out of a stronger pool though, if everyone's healthy and on their game.

xbhaskarx

There's a very good chance the US or Mexico or both will be in a group of death. Pot B is filled with low ranked teams aside from the US, 7 of the bottom 10. So whatever groups they end up in, they will probably make them groups of death by being in there.

But hopefully we get Switzerland, Greece, and Cameroon/Algeria.

Brian Straus said:
Writing on US' draw prospects. US has won 4 of 22 World Cup games in modern era (since 1990). 1 on home soil, 1 v Mexico in 02. WC is hard.

Those four wins if I'm remembering correctly:
US 2 - 1 Colombia 1994
US 3 - 2 Portugal 2002
US 2 - 0 Mexico 2002
US 1 - 0 Algeria in 2010

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Those four wins if I'm remembering correctly:
US 2 - 1 Colombia 1994
US 3 - 2 Portugal 2002
US 2 - 0 Mexico 2002
US 1 - 0 Algeria in 2010

Hopefully we can do better this time around.

Oh, any word if Egypt is going to sack Bob Bradley or not? I remember hearing they wanted to after their loss to Ghana but couldn't because of his contract. I was wondering if they had changed their minds or not.

Oh, any word if Egypt is going to sack Bob Bradley or not? I remember hearing they wanted to after their loss to Ghana but couldn't because of his contract. I was wondering if they had changed their minds or not.
Sounds like he's done:
Chairman of the Egyptian Football Association Gamal Allam confirmed Bradley’s contract had ended with Egypt.

“Bob Bradley’s contract ended this night, and we will not renew for him, we will start search for a new coach. I think Bradley will not accept to stay here following all the criticism from the media after the first match in Kumasi. We did not talk with him about staying and we will not do so. We won against Ghana, but we did not qualify. We signed Bradley to take the team to the World Cup, but he failed so we will search for new coach and we wish him good luck.”

Fingers crossed that Bradley can get a good job elsewhere. The playoff result was unfortunate, but also involved a ton of terrible luck. Egypt would be in the WC were it not for the stupid playoff system.

Then again, his diminishing career prospects may mean he comes back to MLS, and that would be exciting (just please, go to the East!)

NoRéN

yeah, sucks for Egypt... can you imagine if USA qualifying ended up in a home and away vs Mexico? egads

USA wins 2-0 in Columbus. Mexico bitches about the cold.

USA bunkers down and wins 0-0 at azteca. Pee bag bombardment ensues. FMF president cries on tv.

Clydefrog

NoRéN;90729299 said:
USA wins 2-0 in Columbus. Mexico bitches about the cold.

USA bunkers down and wins 0-0 at azteca. Pee bag bombardment ensues. FMF president cries on tv.

the drama would be intense and that specific result would be amazing

but ... if it wound up the other way and Mexico got to go to Brazil and we didn't. omg.

- Brian Straus for SI: United States likely to face a treacherous World Cup draw with loaded field
ESPN statistician Paul Carr ran through the permutations and, based on his national team rankings, found that the U.S. had a 43 chance to move through to the second round next summer. Its worst-case-scenario group – Spain/Netherlands/Chile — produces a 15.3 percent chance of advancement. Those chances improve to an optimal 73.6 percent if the Americans are drawn with Switzerland, Algeria and Croatia.

NoRéN

the drama would be intense and that specific result would be amazing

but ... if it wound up the other way and Mexico got to go to Brazil and we didn't. omg.

I would not be able to sleep for days with all the noise.

Really not looking forward to this draw. Our current go to guys are aging, only a handful of younger guys are playing like people that want to win at all costs, and defense is still shit.

Osorio

Stupid system.

They have the first pool ranked 1-8 in their stupid ranking system.

Then the rest are based on confederation.

Sucks for high ranking teams who are not in UEFA or CONMEBOL

NoRéN

cosign.

im hyped

Bring on Brazil, Ghana, and Netherlands.

The Brazil crowd will be unimaginable. Great test of pressure.
Ghana will not want to lose to the team they sent packing in 2010.
Neverlands will want another shot at the final.
All that with the fact that two of those teams will go home almost ensures that every game will be memorable. It all depends on klinnsman and the national team if we look fondly on those memories.

xbhaskarx

I watched Stoke Sunderland, Cameron is starting to look very impressive at RB given that it may be his third best position. He did more in one game than Brad Evans has done since Klinsmann inexplicably fell in love with him.

Nesotenso

I watched Stoke Sunderland, Cameron is starting to look very impressive at RB given that it may be his third best position. He did more in one game than Brad Evans has done since Klinsmann inexplicably fell in love with him.

have to agree. He put in a man of the match performance. Great on the ball and his crossing seemed improved in the game. Klinsmann has got to find a way to put him in the starting eleven. Too much skill on the ball to leave on the bench. Has looked great going forward against the top sides at right back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom