• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

MidnightRider said:
Is Bunbury better than Findley?

please tell me yes

Good to see my West Ham boy on the field.

First 10 minutes for Bunbury and it was a shot on goal already. So yes, better than Findley.

My stream is like 4-5 minutes behind yall i just noticed.

The sub yall posted about earlier just now came by on my screen.

Well. guess i am out of this thread till game over. don't want a goal ruined for me.

xbhaskarx

Nat Borchers in for Tim Ream.

Ream did a decent job I thought.

What's the deal with this Borchers guy, not young at 29, it's his first cap in like 5 years, but apparently he had a good year in MLS...

Fox318

Mindlog said:
:D

At first I was like... :lol

Would have been pretty peeved if he missed that one.
TBf8k.jpg

xbhaskarx

Ream, Lichaj, Bunbury, Agudelo, Diskerud, Agbossoumonde... it's great to see Bradley getting them all in there.

Anyone who complains about Bradley in the next month will be slapped.

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
What's the deal with this Borchers guy, not young at 29, it's his first cap in like 5 years, but apparently he had a good year in MLS...

That's Bob Bradley for ya.

xbhaskarx said:
Ream, Lichaj, Bunbury, Agudelo, Diskerud, Agbossoumonde... it's great to see Bradley getting them all in there.

Anyone who complains about Bradley in the next month will be slapped.

Eeek!

Naw, it was great to see new players on the pitch.

daoster

2nd Half was OK, most of it was played in our half (but the South African only forced Guzan to save one or twice), but the lead up to the goal and the goal itself was beautiful.

The nice thing about this is that these guys aren't just in contention for 2014, but for 2018 as well.

Over all, it was an OK game, but we were able to end the year on a winning note, and that's good for me.

Clydefrog

Great away win for a bunch of kids who probably never played together before. Good thing it wasn't against Germany or something :lol (even though paul is dead, I could predict that one)

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Over all, it was an OK game, but we were able to end the year on a winning note, and that's good for me.

Not just ending the year on a positive note, this win gives us a winning record for the year (4W-3L), I think we just avoided our first losing season since sometime in the 1990s....

Also, I think you're selling it short by saying it was just an OK game. If we had lost but a few of the new guys had shown us flashes of competence that gave us hope for the future, that would be an OK game. I don't think any rational US fan could have reasonably been expecting a victory, given our green roster. It wasn't a great game or anything, but we definitely outperformed expectations.

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
this win gives us a winning record for the year (4W-3L), I think we just avoided our first losing season since sometime in the 1990s....

My guess was a little off...
"The US finishes their 2010 campaign with a record of 5-4-5, avoiding their first losing season since 1997."

xbhaskarx

Bolton are blossoming under Owen Coyle but ambition may be a burden

Johan Elmander's goal at Molineux was a thing of rare beauty. Taking Stuart Holden's short pass just inside the penalty area, Elmander turned past Wolves' Steven Mouyokolo with a fast-footed Romario-style turn, rotating through 360 degrees with the ball apparently Blu-Tacked to his big toe and finished in the same movement. It was a moment of PlayStation football, a piece of craft by the Swede that showcased a previously disappointing player now performing at the peak of his powers.

It was also of a piece with its immediate surroundings because Bolton are a beautiful thing these days. Infused with their manager's sense of vim, able both to mix it physically and to produce passages of fine passing football, Owen Coyle's Bolton 2.0 are fifth in the Premier League entirely on merit. This is a team built on sturdy foundations. A defensive quadrangle of Zat Knight and Gary Cahill, screened by the fast-improving Fabrice Muamba and backed by the goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen, is as solid as anything in the league.

In midfield Holden and Lee Chung-yong have both blossomed under the Coyle philosophy. "What I ask of these players is that they go toe to toe with some of the best players in the world and see how good they are," Coyle said at the weekend. Holden now seems entirely unintimidated by the Premier League's muscular glitz and controlled the midfield against Wolves.

video of the goal

I still can't believe everyone is saying he will turn out like Adu.

There is no way he can turn out like Adu as he is already 17.... about to be 18 next week and scoring goals.

Adu had already leveled off by age 17 and was/still is shit.

xbhaskarx

MidnightRider said:
I still can't believe everyone is saying he will turn out like Adu.

Agudelo? Everyone is saying he will turn out like Adu? Who is everyone?
I haven't seen that anywhere...

Personally I see no similarities between the two other than being immigrants, forwards, young, and names beginning with "A"...

Clydefrog

:lol Yeah, I haven't heard anyone make that reference either. except MidnightRider!

I hope it doesn't turn out that way at all. I hope people don't think because Agudelo, at age 17, scored on his USMNT debut that he is our savior. Let the kid grow at NYRB a bit and we'll go from there.

xbhaskarx

How would you rate yesterday's performances... here's mine (tiers not grades):

5: Guzan, Lichaj, Diskerud, Agudelo

4: Goodson, Ream, Gaven, Bedoya

3: Bunbury, Rogers

2: Bornstein, Pause

1: Carroll, Spector, Findley

no rating: Agbossoumonde, Borchers

Agree? Disagree?

Hopefully we never see Carroll, Spector, and Findley don the uniform ever again....

xbhaskarx said:
Agudelo? Everyone is saying he will turn out like Adu? Who is everyone?
I haven't seen that anywhere...

Personally I see no similarities between the two other than being immigrants, forwards, young, and names beginning with "A"...

I've heard it mentioned numerous times through the media as well as EVERYONE on facebook groups for the USA mens team.

Clydefrog said:
:lol Yeah, I haven't heard anyone make that reference either. except MidnightRider!
Aren't you new to the soccer world? I could have sworn two pages ago you got Bolton and Villa confused? Do you know who Freddy Adu is?

***EDIT*** I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. I am not trying to start a fight with you.

xbhaskarx said:
How would you rate yesterday's performances... here's mine (tiers not grades):

5: Guzan, Lichaj, Diskerud, Agudelo

4: Goodson, Ream, Gaven, Bedoya

3: Bunbury, Rogers

2: Bornstein, Pause

1: Carroll, Spector, Findley

no rating: Agbossoumonde, Borchers

Agree? Disagree?

Hopefully we never see Carroll, Spector, and Findley don the uniform ever again....

I agree with your 5's though i might give Guzan a 6. (same as an 11 on the 10 scale)

The 4's all look good.

I would bump rogers down to a 2 for trying to much fancy stuff that never works out for him.

all the 2's look good.

and for the 1's. I would bump Spector up for that full out challenge in the box that was a perfect tackle. Had he got it wrong.... it would have been a PK.

Keep your chin up Spector.

I hope he moves to a new club in January as West Ham have killed his talent by not playing him enough I feel. Lets not forget the club he that originally brought him to England which i think shows he did have some skill prior to the move to West Ham.

Look for him to improve if get gets a trade/sell in Jan.

xbhaskarx

To me Spector looks like he has fallen off a cliff, he went from playing well at the Confed Cup to not playing at all for a 1-6-6 club.
I hope he can bounce back, but we'll see if it actually happens...

Clydefrog

xbhaskarx said:
If we're talking about the potential for career stagnation and derailment, I would say the worry is not Agudelo but Agbossoumonde, based on this ESPN article.

Thanks for that article. Sounds like a rough time for Agbossomounde. The best thing though is that he is still a kid. He has plenty of time after his contract runs out with Traffic to grow with a club(s). The author wasn't kidding when he mentioned the company's name "Traffic" is insensitive at best!

MidnightRider said:
I've heard it mentioned numerous times through the media as well as EVERYONE on facebook groups for the USA mens team.

Aren't you new to the soccer world? I could have sworn two pages ago you got Bolton and Villa confused? Do you know who Freddy Adu is?

***EDIT*** I hope you don't take this post the wrong way. I am not trying to start a fight with you.

I'm not new to the soccer world but I was most certainly on drugs that day I mentioned Pires replacing Holden at Villa. :lol

I was going to joke about it earlier today and mention "do you guys think Agudelo's goal will hurt Holden's playing time?" but was't sure if everyone would get the sarcasm.

Clydefrog said:
Do you guys think Agudelo's goal will hurt Holden's playing time?

Yeah Holden better watch out or his spot is GONE i tell you! GONE!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Glad to see you are one of the mature gaffers that can read something and not get their panties in a wad!

xbhaskarx said:
To me Spector looks like he has fallen off a cliff, he went from playing well at the Confed Cup to not playing at all for a 1-6-6 club.
I hope he can bounce back, but we'll see if it actually happens...

You just HAD to remind me didn't you. My team is pure SHIT this year..... but that we have ever been that great..... expect for the 70's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom