• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

platypotamus said:
I think in the coming season of MLS, we should break it off into a separate thread from the national team thread
There is already a football thread that covers all leagues. People probably post in here instead because of the overlap between MLS and USMNT fans, and because Eurosnobs in the other thread would respond with derogatory comments.

daoster

Last minute drama with the 2022 bid?

Tweets James Corbett:

Big rumour going around that a 2022 bid is going to take a big hit in tonight's BBC Panorama investigation. Lawyers at the ready?

That Panorama investigation is expected to wreck havoc on England's 2018 bid too... suspense! Drama! Who needs TV when FIFA provides all the necessary entertainment.

xbhaskarx

Is this it?

BBC Panorama Makes New Bribery Allegations Against 3 Exco Members
BBC's long-awaited Panorama investigation into "FIFA's dirty secrets" alleges that CONMEBOL President Nicolas Leoz took $730,000 of bribes in the ISL bribery scandal. It also implicates CAF President Issa Hayatou and FIFA presidential hopeful, Ricardo Teixeira, in the $100 million scandal.

So which 2022 bid took a big hit? We all know FIFA is extremely corrupt, the 2022 bid is all I care about at this point. All the articles I can find are on the media coverage hurting England's 2018 bid....

leroidys

platypotamus said:
I think in the coming season of MLS, we should break it off into a separate thread from the national team thread, but since it hasn't happened yet, I just want to mention that I'm still super pissed Vancouver took Nyassi in the expansion draft. I wasn't sure who I was going to hate more as a Sounders fan, Portland or Vancouver, but that pretty much sealed the deal.

Yeah but at least we saved KASEY KELLER from getting snatched up

:|

Weaselred

leroidys said:
Yeah but at least we saved KASEY KELLER from getting snatched up

:|

I don't know what you guys are talking about but this expansion draft went about as spectacularly as possible for a Sounder fan.

It really didn't. Nyassi is young, fit, fast, and getting steadily better, while already being damn good. He's got the potential to be top of the league in a couple seasons.

Nyassi should have had a protected spot over Evans, Fucito, Jaqua, Keller, and maybe even Hurtado.

In fact, I would have replaced 3 of those with Nyassi, Ianni, and Wahl.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Is this it?

BBC Panorama Makes New Bribery Allegations Against 3 Exco Members

So which 2022 bid took a big hit? We all know FIFA is extremely corrupt, the 2022 bid is all I care about at this point. All the articles I can find are on the media coverage hurting England's 2018 bid....

Yeah, I saw that and I was kinda confused. Maybe it was the USA's, cause Jack Warner was implicated too.

Due to a spat with his coach, Jermaine Jones has been sent to the reserve team:

U.S. midfielder Jones sent to Schalke reserve team

xbhaskarx

I wonder if yesterday's Wikileaks release of US diplomatic cables will damage our WC chances... I'm not sure if any of the countries with votes were particularly offended, but if so the fact that Bill Clinton is a prominent part of our presentation (along with Morgan Freeman and Donovan) tomorrow while Hillary is the head of the State Department could potentially cost us votes.

xbhaskarx

CLINTON, FREEMAN, DONOVAN AND GULATI ON HAND TO PRESENT BID
The USA Bid Committee confirmed on Monday that President Bill Clinton, Academy-award winning actor Morgan Freeman and U.S. Men’s National Team midfielder Landon Donovan will join USA Bid Committee Chairman and U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati in making up the team that will give the Bid’s final presentation to FIFA on Wednesday, Dec. 1, in Zurich.

===

ALL ABOUT THE PRESENTATIONS
Through two days on Wednesday, Dec. 1, and Thursday, Dec. 2, all nine bidding counties will make their 30-minute presentations to the FIFA Executive Committee. Here’s all you need to know about the two days of presentations:

Who:
On Wednesday, the United States, Australia, Korea Republic, Japan and Qatar will make their presentations for the privilege of hosting the FIFA World Cup in 2022, while Belgium/Netherlands, Spain/Portugal, England and Russia will make their presentations on Thursday in the hopes of earning the FIFA World Cup in 2018.

Where:
The presentations for all nine bidding countries for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups will be made at FIFA House.

When:
Here is the schedule for the presentations, with times listed in Zurich (local)/ET:

Wednesday, Dec. 1
2 p.m. / 8 a.m. – Australia
3 p.m. / 9 a.m. – Korea Republic
4 p.m. / 10 a.m. – Qatar
5 p.m. / 11 a.m. – United States
6 p.m. / Noon – Japan

Thursday, Dec. 2
9 a.m. / 3 a.m. – Belgium/Netherlands
10 a.m. / 4 a.m. – Spain/Portugal
11 a.m. / 5 a.m. – England
12 p.m. / 6 a.m. – Russia

How to Follow:
FIFA.com will be live streaming all the presentations for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups.

AND THE WINNER IS…
Following the presentations on Thursday, Dec. 2, each of the FIFA Executive Committee members will vote for their selected host nation for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. The voting process could take several rounds before winners are decided as a majority of 12 votes are required to secure the bid. After the secret ballots are tallied, FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will announce the winners. Here’s all you need to know about the announcement for both World Cups:

Who:
The delegations for all nine bidding countries will be on hand for the announcement for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups.

Where:
The announcements will be conducted at the exhibition center of Messe Zurich.

When:
The announcement is expected at approximately 4 p.m. local (10 a.m. ET). FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will open the envelopes to reveal the names of the winners before the live audience in the exhibition center and across the world.

How to Follow: The event will be carried live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, Fox Soccer Channel, FOX Deportes, CNN International and Univision, as well as on FIFA.com.

This Fifa crap is so dumb.

Selection should be based on only three factors:

Where the world cup was held recently
When the country last held it
Quality of stadiums

None of this regional shit.

And why the fuck do they insist on doing 2018 and 2022 together? Thats where all this corruption came from.

Whatever. As long as Argentina/Uruguay gets 2030, that's all that matters.

Oh, and no Japan or Korea, they just had it!

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
I wonder if yesterday's Wikileaks release of US diplomatic cables will damage our WC chances... I'm not sure if any of the countries with votes were particularly offended, but if so the fact that Bill Clinton is a prominent part of our presentation (along with Morgan Freeman and Donovan) tomorrow while Hillary is the head of the State Department could potentially cost us votes.

I don't see why it should. One really has nothing to do with the other. These FIFA types are suppose to be beyond the mere politics of these pitiful nations...why, they're so enlightened, they transcend politics and national boundaries! Or at least...that's what Blatter wants us to believe.

And really, this whole presentation is a farce. Would a Bill Clinton or Morgan Freeman or David Beckham, really change the mind of who they're going to vote for? All this to stroke the ego of these corrupt bastards...pssh

markatisu

xbhaskarx said:

Being at war with two countries would be a more damning factor then the Wikileaks

FIFA is all about $$$ though, if they think they will make $$$$ in the US (which they did the last time we had it) then we will get it.

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Is this streaming anywhere? I just checked ESPN3 and it's not there.

WTF :lol :lol
Is this real life

atdhe.net

Rumors are that some German clubs are looking at Spector. Maybe he's out to make his case today.

xbhaskarx

Oz's World Cup bid suffers setback

Australia's bid to host the 2022 World Cup has suffered a major set-back, with an official report finding it could be a financial disaster, if held here.

FIFA powerbrokers are now reviewing the report, which has been strongly rejected by the Australian delegation.

The report, commissioned by FIFA, places Australia last, among the countries bidding for the tournament.

To even further crush Australia's hopes, Oceania is not expected to vote in Thursday's ballot (Friday AM AEDT) for the 2022 tournament.

Oceania football chief Reynald Temarii has decided to press on with his appeal against a one-year suspension for ethics violations, AFP reported on Tuesday.

His decision is expected to stop acting Oceania president David Chung from replacing Temarii on FIFA's ruling panel and voting for Australia this week.

FIFA has said that Chung could only replace Temarii if the Tahitian waives his right to appeal his suspension.

That is something Temarii is not prepared to do even if it potentially costs Oceania its voice in the vote for the 2018 and 2002 World Cups.

The Oceania representative has been mandated to vote for Australia.

Clydefrog

daoster said:
Jonathan Spector, who's barely played this season for West Ham, has just scored for them against Man U!!!

daoster said:
AND AGAIN!

Spector out there with something to prove!!

chappelle.gif

xbhaskarx

The Guardian has World Cup bid news updates:

World Cup 2018 bid live

4.42pm:
Our man Owen Gibson, who is clearly getting around the bidders today, tweets: "US bid confident ahead of arrival of Morgan Freeman and Bill Clinton. Landon Donovan compelling on potential for sport in US. #2022"

Grant Wahl of Sports Illustrated tweets: "Commissioner Don Garber says MLS will be "one of the top leagues in the world" by time US would host WC22. Believe him?"

Grant Wahl: U.S.' bid appears favored for 2022

Article on England's bid... I'd like to see a breakdown of the votes for 2022 like this:
Day of reckoning for England’s bid to host the 2018 World Cup
STI141GS28_voting_97281a.jpg

Pre

I can't believe we might lose our bid to Qatar. That would be beyond embarrassing not only for our country but for FIFA as well.

xbhaskarx

U.S. awaits 2022 World Cup with big hopes of soccer

As Americans celebrated the Fourth of July in 1988, a present arrived from Zurich: The World Cup was headed to the United States for the first time.

"The richest land in the world simply cannot be allowed to remain a blank spot on the world map of soccer any longer,'' Hermann Neuberger, president of West German soccer's governing body, said at the time.

Since that watershed 1994 World Cup the global game is now very much a part of the country's sports landscape. There's a national team that's played in six straight World Cups, three television networks that are pretty much all soccer, constant additional exposure on ESPN2 and a growing league preparing for its 16th season - albeit one still struggling to gain attention in a market dominated by the NFL, Major League Baseball and the NBA.

Bidders promise another burst of explosive growth if FIFA's executive committee awards the 2022 tournament to the United States when it votes Thursday in Zurich. Australia, Japan, Qatar and South Korea are the competition.

"We've got all of the infrastructure in place, and it's extraordinary infrastructure, which allows us to focus on growing the game and using the World Cup to do that in the United States and have the U.S. become an important part of the global community in this,'' U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I think it changes the economics in a positive way for FIFA and other associations.''

The 1994 World Cup transformed FIFA's business side.

Names on the backs of players' jerseys?

It started in the U.S.

Corporate tents?

First made in America.

All-Star teams and relentless promotion?

Ditto.

Much of soccer has never seen anything like Dallas Cowboys Stadium, with its 50-yard-wide video screen hovering above field, 10,000 club seats and 300 luxury suites ringing five levels - the expensive seats alone just about match the 20,224 total capacity of Portsmouth's Fratton Park.

Hard to compare that with those in the original bid presented by the U.S. 22 years ago, which included such antiques as Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium in Annapolis, Md., John F. Kennedy Stadium in Philadelphia and Palmer Stadium in Princeton, N.J.

FIFA's technical report says attendance at a U.S. World Cup could average 76,000, breaking the record of 68,991 set in 1994. It says there is medium legal risk because of a lack of government guarantees, which would require federal legislation after a bid is awarded.

"Clearly for us, there is nothing that we could do in the United States, whether it be our federation or Major League Soccer, that would be more important than having the World Cup here in our country,'' MLS Commissioner Don Garber said.

"Hosting the World Cup in the U.S. is by far the biggest opportunity for our league to capitalize on the growing interest for the sport and ultimately convert that interest to a deeper connection with our league, our clubs and our players.''

ATF487

Pre said:
I can't believe we might lose our bid to Qatar. That would be beyond embarrassing not only for our country but for FIFA as well.

Qatar would just be ridiculous, although their climate controlled stadiums could be pretty awesome.

The US bid would be cool, because Gillette Stadium (stadium for "Boston") is 15 minutes from my parents house, and I could probably get others to go with me, but I don't know if 1) I'll live near here in 2022 or if 2) my parents will still live here. In fact, if England wins the 2018 bid, that'll give me motivation to emigrate there :lol

The Australian bid would be cool too, because it would definitely get me to go and explore the country that half of my family was raised in, assuming I still haven't done it by 2022, and they've never hosted it before.

I'll be 33 then, damn.

xbhaskarx

OliverKayTimes
As for 2022, USA emerging as clear favourites. Would never have said this pre-94, but they're the obvious choice again
7 hours ago

OliverKayTimes
Sudden flush of English optimism in Zurich tonight re 2018. Still far too many ifs and buts though. Genuine 3-horse race
7 hours ago

GhaleonQ

I do think it's lame for the U.S. to get it so soon, but there's no denying the real potential for growth and (more importantly?) money. It sucks that the only midwestern stadium in the PRELIMARY choices is in Indiana, though. Come on! Russia will be cold, too!

U.S.A.!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
clemenx said:
Are there any rumours about the favorites to win?

I'm pulling for England and USA :D
USA are pretty much clear favorites for 2022. It's sounding more and more like it would be a shocker for the US to not win its bid. Australia has money problems, Qatar is just too damn hot (but still could steal it), and Korea and Japan both just hosted the World Cup 8 years ago.

Spain/Portugal and Russia may have an advantage right now over England for 2018, but that's looking to be a real three-way race and any one of them could come away with it. Will be reeeeaaaally interesting to see how voting breaks down on that one. I imagine multiple rounds of voting and probably some shifting allegiances in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom