• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashman

Banned
Bandwagoning on this bitch.

jamesinclair said:
I called in months ago. Dallas, the team with the least amount of fans, would be in the final.
youth soccer is pretty big in Dallas, I'm surprised that that hasn't translated into having a fanbase.

cashman said:

youth soccer is pretty big in Dallas, I'm surprised that that hasn't translated into having a fanbase.

Well, they call themselves Dallas, but they play closer to Oklahoma.

It's like if New York red bulls played in Albany.

cashman

Banned
jamesinclair said:
Well, they call themselves Dallas, but they play closer to Oklahoma.

It's like if New York red bulls played in Albany.
Frisco isn't THAT far off the metroplex, but it probably does alienate a lot of people in Fort Worth. Still they should have more fans

xbhaskarx

Eh, people in Texas drive everywhere.

Also, apparently Frisco TX is the fastest growing city in the US:
As of the 2000 census, the city population was 33,714, while according to 2008 city and census estimates, the city's population has surpassed 100,000.
the fastest growing city in the nation from 2000-2009.

cashman

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Eh, people in Texas drive everywhere.

Also, apparently Frisco TX is the fastest growing city in the US:
yep and cities adjacent to Frisco such as McKinney and Carrolton are also near the top of that list. If they manage to win, there should be huge increase in popularity.

Well, population and love of sports has nothing to do with each other.

Miami is full of people, and all their sport teams get terrible attendance. The marlins are known for getting as few as 500 people to some of their games. Thier MLS team failed as well.

Some markets just don't care about sports.

xbhaskarx

daoster said:
Err...don't NYRB technically play in New Jersey?

Yes, but I think it's not much farther away from the city than where both their NFL teams play, and it's a lot closer to Newark.
Although didn't the MLS commissioner say that if there were to eventually be a second NY team they would have to play within NYC itself?

xbhaskarx said:
First New York loses to San Jose, now LA is down 2-0 to Dallas, MLS must be loving this...

Seriously. As a fan I was really hoping for a NY/LA final. I'm sure the MLS execs and sponsors were pulling for that match up as well.

Colorado and Dallas? Hello ratings nightmare!

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
Yes, but I think it's not much farther away from the city than where both their NFL teams play, and it's a lot closer to Newark.
Although didn't the MLS commissioner say that if there were to eventually be a second NY team they would have to play within NYC itself?

Didn't know the geography of NY, so that's something new to know, thanks.

AS you may or may not know, the rumor going around is that England's bid for WC might be in trouble, even though most thought it was assured.

Last week, Gabriele Marcotti (who writes for the times) tweeted a rumor that Korea for 2022 was getting some instituional support...this week, the Asian Federation president made the claim that Qatar will get the most first round votes (according to Rob Harris for AP). Is USA's 2022 bid in trouble too, or is this just reporters trying to stir the pot?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Didn't know the geography of NY, so that's something new to know, thanks.

AS you may or may not know, the rumor going around is that England's bid for WC might be in trouble, even though most thought it was assured.

Last week, Gabriele Marcotti (who writes for the times) tweeted a rumor that Korea for 2022 was getting some instituional support...this week, the Asian Federation president made the claim that Qatar will get the most first round votes (according to Rob Harris for AP). Is USA's 2022 bid in trouble too, or is this just reporters trying to stir the pot?

I doubt Korea will get 2022. They just had the WC. I'm interested in hearing the outcome of the vote selling allegations this week.

daoster

sazabirules said:
I doubt Korea will get 2022. They just had the WC. I'm interested in hearing the outcome of the vote selling allegations this week.

Ah, but if somehow South Korea AND North Korea hold the event (as unlikely as that seems), then Sepp Blatter will have his way.

xbhaskarx

Gamecocks625 said:
Seriously. As a fan I was really hoping for a NY/LA final. I'm sure the MLS execs and sponsors were pulling for that match up as well.

Colorado and Dallas? Hello ratings nightmare!

The one thing that's great about Colorado and Dallas is it shows that pretty much every team has the potential to win, even recent expansion teams (Seattle, Salt Lake, San Jose).
It will almost certainly be a ratings disappointment but I definitely think that's preferable to seeing the same names at the top of the EPL table year after year....

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
The one thing that's great about Colorado and Dallas is it shows that pretty much every team has the potential to win, even recent expansion teams (Seattle, Salt Lake, San Jose).
It will almost certainly be a ratings disappointment but I definitely think that's preferable to seeing the same names at the top of the EPL table year after year....

Eh, I disagree. In order for the MLS to grow, they are going to need the revenue that comes from having their games on a channel like ESPN consistent and constantly. Low ratings for the big game for the MLS year does nobody favors.

And yes, in the EPL, the same names are usually the same, but I think it's preferable to the playoff system. In the EPL (and most other leagues), the best team will win. Period. That's not the case for the MLS (where the best team will not even compete to win the MLS Cup because of one bad game). Yes, yes, Supporters' Shield, but that's not what MLS and everybody else has made to be the main "goal" for a team.

And US Soccer just confirmed a friendly with Chile in Jan 22.

Clydefrog

Anyone wanna go to the US - Chile match? :D

Side note: Now that Robert Pires has signed for Aston Villa, do you think he will affect Stu Holden's playing time at all?

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:
If I recall correctly, Pires is an attacking midfielder, usually on the left. Doesn't Holden usually occupy that same spot?

Okay... what do Aston Villa and Bolton have to do with each other?

cashman said:

Yep. Played rec in North Texas for 13 years. Haven't made it to a game because of school. I really miss playing though....

xbhaskarx

Clydefrog said:
Wow. Why did I... I mean, what... who... ???

I don't think I can post here ever again.

It's not a big deal, just say you were posting in character
morans2rn.jpg

daoster

Atlagev said:
Russia and Qatar will be awarded the 2018 and 2022 World Cups, respectively.

This isn't a guess as so much as it is a statement.

I can see it. Sepp Blatter would be immortalized, being forever remembered for bringing the World Cup to Africa, Russia, and the Middle East. It's too tasty for that man's ego NOT to do it

leroidys

daoster said:
I can see it. Sepp Blatter would be immortalized, being forever remembered for bringing the World Cup to Africa, Russia, and the Middle East. It's too tasty for that man's ego NOT to do it

Well he has to find some way to retroactively make the SA world cup not the worst world cup in the past 3 decades.

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx said:
Also, I don't know what happened last time, but I think MLS could succeed in Florida if they returned.
xbhaskarx said:
The commissioner mentioned both Florida and NYC in his state of the league address...

MLS focused on making NY club its 20th team
Commissioner also envisions league will expand beyond 20 teams

“I don’t know when it will be when we go beyond 20, but I think at some point in our lifetime there will be more than 20 teams in MLS,” Garber said on Tuesday’s media teleconference call. “It’s a big country. We cross [four] time zones. … But we have a long way to go before we even can consider that.”

The MLS Commissioner reiterated that the league is currently focused on making a New York club its 20th expansion team in 2013 and indicated that the New York Red Bulls are supportive of the plan.

“We’ve been meeting with the city, with the Wilpon family and the owners of the Cosmos name and brand and other investors who have expressed interest,” Garber said. “The Red Bulls are very supportive of it. They believe a local rival will add even more passion for the sport and for the league in this market.

“There are 13 plus million people in this city and more than enough to go around with two teams, particularly if one is in New York and one is based over the river in New Jersey. So I’m not at all concerned about saturation.”

Garber pointed to the three-team rivalry in the Pacific Northwest as an example of how passionate local rivalries can increase local relevance of MLS clubs and eventually translate onto a national scale, with the Seattle Sounders proving a draw on nationally televised matches.

In addition to New York, the Commissioner confirmed that MLS is in talks with groups in Atlanta, while the league has also received interest from cities including Orlando, Tampa, Miami and San Diego among others.

“I can’t imagine this will be a league that does not have teams in the south, certainly south of Washington, DC,” Garber said. “It’s inconceivable that we won’t have teams at some point, whether it’s in Atlanta, Georgia or in Florida. We have to. The question is when that might be.”

Over 20 teams, the Cosmos name, NYC, Florida, Atlanta, San Diego... I approve of all this.
The Wilpons are incompetent owners but it's difficult to find land in NYC and maybe they could build a stadium next to Citi Field....
What do others think about the max number of MLS teams, long term?

xbhaskarx said:
The commissioner mentioned both Florida and NYC in his state of the league address...

MLS focused on making NY club its 20th team
Commissioner also envisions league will expand beyond 20 teams

Over 20 teams, the Cosmos name, NYC, Florida, Atlanta, San Diego... I approve of all this.
The Wilpons are incompetent owners but it's difficult to find land in NYC and maybe they could build a stadium next to Citi Field....
What do others think about the max number of MLS teams, long term?

I'm cool with another NY team, but these other cities that have "owners" interested need to be able to show that the fans want a team first or they will be doomed to fail. I think Atlanta would be a disaster as they don't support any of the existing teams in the "4 major sports" down there at all. Florida might have a better chance. No more teams in California, don't they have enough already to want one in San Diego?

About 20 teams is more than enough for right now unless the MLS and the sport of soccer somehow start capturing more of the general public's attention which probably won't happen unless the MLS get a better TV deal and US Soccer goes real deep at the 2014 World Cup.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I dislike the Kansas City Wizards rebrand. I don't see anything wrong with the current name. I'm excited for the match tomorrow. I'm glad ESPN3 will allow me to watch it after it is over since I have class during the match.

sazabirules said:
I dislike the Kansas City Wizards rebrand. I don't see anything wrong with the current name. I'm excited for the match tomorrow. I'm glad ESPN3 will allow me to watch it after it is over since I have class during the match.

just saw this, the crest looks good, but (Sporting Kansas City) is not much of an upgrade over Kansas City Wizards, glad my team (Philadelphia Union) didn't go with a traditional European naming convention...

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
TheVisualizer said:
just saw this, the crest looks good, but (Sporting Kansas City) is not much of an upgrade over Kansas City Wizards, glad my team (Philadelphia Union) didn't go with a traditional European naming convention...

It feels like aping Europe way too much. Just because it's a European game doesn't mean you have to bottow European names without a good reason.

What's next, Portland Park Rangers? I'd almost rather see Power Rangers and some Japanese toy company as the sponsor.

I welcome the discussion of bringing a team to Atlanta. Even thought that's about 3 hours away from Columbia, SC I still would like to have a somewhat local team to support without being a NY/LA homer.

I'm calling it now, though. Mark this down in the books of GAF:

AC Atlanta will be the team name.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
daoster said:
Kind of a sad story about the Trials of Gale Agbossoumonde

I feel bad for him somewhat but he honestly thought he would get offered a high salary in the MLS as a seventeen year old? :lol He should have taken an offer at Sevilla or Athletico. He screwed himself over by signing to that company.

The US lineup

Lineup (4-5-1): Guzan (c); Lichaj, Goodson, Ream, Bornstein; Pause, Carroll; Rogers, Gaven, Bedoya; Findley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom