• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

I'm assuming this was part of Japan's presentation?

WorldFBinsider
Sony CEO speak Sir Howard Stringer talks about bringing the bid's hi-tech fan fests to life at a 2022 #WorldCup. Fails to inspire #fifa

Sony fanboys are traitors confirmed.

Heretic

xbhaskarx said:
I'm assuming this was part of Japan's presentation?

Sony fanboys are traitors confirmed.

Weren't they talking about having full 3d games at every stadium? So it'll be like watching the game live at any of the participating stadiums

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, Japan had a bunch about their global fan fests and things and how their live attendance would be "100x the record at the 1994 World Cup."

xbhaskarx

Apparently Clinton went over our allotted time :lol

james_Corbett
USA presentation over its 30 minutes timeslot. Will they cut Clinton's mic? 2022 rivals lawyers at work!

BobLeyESPN
Bubba.....you're running out of time... Don't draw a yellow.

Everyone seems to agree he did a good job, though:

james_Corbett
Clinton very good: humble, folksy, irreverent and serious all at the same time. Links domestic issues with major international ones

GrantWahl
If you think Bill Clinton is exuding charisma in this World Cup speech, imagine how much he is behind closed doors here w/ExCo members.

Gulati also did his job well:

SoccerInsider
Gulati, Columbia economics professor, emphasizing enormous revenue potential of USA World Cup. In case u hadn't heard, FIFA likes $$$

BobLeyESPN
Sunil, economics professor, giving the graduate seminar presentation, and promising the profits FIFA wants.

My prediction: Australia and Russia seem to be falling out of it (Putin just issued a bizarre statement saying he will not be traveling to Zurich tomorrow), I think in the late rounds of the voting the US will beat Qatar and Spain/Portugal will beat England.

daoster

I thought Clinton's presentation was boring.

Sunil's and Donovan's were good. Especially Sunil. He spoke the language of FIFA: $$$. Not peace (Korea), or fun (Australia), or history (Qatar) or technology (Japan)....straight out MOOLAH baby.

xbhaskarx

No-show Putin Cries Foul as England 2018's Momentum Rises

The momentum behind England’s World Cup bid has grown inexorably following the decision of Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin not to attend the final round of bid presentations tomorrow.

But fears that Spain-Portugal may have fixed the vote have grown after Putin cited the “unscrupulous competition” the Russian bid has faced. The Iberian bid was cleared last month of colluding with Qatar’s bid to host the 2022 finals, but strong suspicions remain that a mutual support pact is in place.

Reports say that Russia made a formal complaint to FIFA yesterday about a Qatar-Iberia pact.

"I would have liked to have gone myself but in these conditions I have decided not to travel... so that they can make a decision without any pressure from the outside," Putin was quoted by Reuters.

Putin calling out others for corruption and shady dealings is quite amusing.

Australia World Cup Bid Pitch Underwhelms; Korea 2022 Pushes Reunification Plans

Qatar Polished, Clinton Goes Into Extra Time in WC Presentations

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
So, who's making the thread when the World Cup Officially returns to US? *crosses fingers*

We should probably have a thread made before the voting starts tomorrow morning at 10am Eastern, for both the 2018 and 2022 bids since the voting will happen at the same time.

Whoever makes it please post a link to the FIFA.com and ESPN3.com video streams so people who are not able to watch on TV can follow along...

Following the presentations on Thursday, Dec. 2, each of the FIFA Executive Committee members will vote for their selected host nation for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups. The voting process could take several rounds before winners are decided as a majority of 12 votes are required to secure the bid. After the secret ballots are tallied, FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will announce the winners. Here’s all you need to know about the announcement for both World Cups:

Who:
The delegations for all nine bidding countries will be on hand for the announcement for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups.

Where:
The announcements will be conducted at the exhibition center of Messe Zurich.

When:
The announcement is expected at approximately 4 p.m. local (10 a.m. ET). FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter will open the envelopes to reveal the names of the winners before the live audience in the exhibition center and across the world.

How to Follow: The event will be carried live on ESPN, ESPN Deportes, Fox Soccer Channel, FOX Deportes, CNN International and Univision, as well as on FIFA.com.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
We should probably have a thread made before the voting starts tomorrow morning at 10am Eastern, for both the 2018 and 2022 bids since the voting will happen at the same time.

Whoever makes it please post a link to the FIFA.com and ESPN3.com video streams so people who are not able to watch on TV can follow along...
Sad to see so much hype on univision yet nothing on the local news.

Here's what I would like:

2018: Spain or England, doesnt matter
2022: Australia
2026: USA
2030: Argentina/Uruguay
2034: Russia
2040: China
2044: Egypt
2046: Mexico
2050: Italy
2054: Antarctica

ATF487

jamesinclair said:

some math problems, but I like it up to Antarctica. Russia should at least get a Euro tournament if they don't get a World Cup

daoster

jamesinclair said:

Um....2054, on the MOON baby.

Crisis

Banned
Daigoro said:
i will fucking plotz if we get it in 2018.

i set an alarm in case i pass out when i get home in the AM.

United States won't be getting it in 2018. We pulled our bid for that to focus on 2022.

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:

The fuck happens in 2038 that the WC gets bumped? Did I miss a wikileak?

Clydefrog

boom.

AUwi0.jpg

http://8ball.tridelphia.net/

BTW, the first time I asked it I got "outlook good" but my screenshot turned out blank for some reason. I asked again, and it said "hazy, try again" then I tried AGAIN and got "YES"

IT IS DESTINED.

KingGondo

Banned
Grug said:
Al Jazeera reporting that Qatar have won the 2022 bid. How would they know at this stage?
Real answer: they probably had a promise before the voting in exchange for $$$$.

The ESPN chat is saying that the Qatar delegates are hugging and shaking each others' hands. Fuck.

xbhaskarx

Regulus Tera said:
After watching Qatar's video, I have to say they have a really strong bid.

BBC
"The thumb-shaped Qatar peninsula," warns the Lonely Planet guide (1st edition, published 2000) "is not exactly one of the world's major tourist destinations."

The chapter on the Qatari capital is even less enticing. "Around the Gulf, Doha has earned the unenviable reputation of being the dullest place on earth."

This is a country with a population of little more than a million, promising to fill 50,000-seater stadiums. It is a country of little apparent footballing pedigree, lying 108th in the Fifa rankings. And it is a country where, at the time of year the tournament is held, the weather can touch 50 degrees Celsius. Fifa guidelines hold that any temperature above 32 degrees puts players at "extreme" risk.

It's easy to make something look impressive using only computer models.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
xbhaskarx said:
BBC

It's easy to make something look impressive using only computer models.
If any third-world country has the money to fulfill those promises it is Qatar.

This is a political game. I'm happy for the Middle East though.

xbhaskarx

@james_Corbett James Corbett
I fear this is going to be a bad day for football

sidlowe Sid Lowe
Interesting RT @pkelso: U-turn from fifa, all votes will be revealed after

DickinsonTimes Matt Dickinson
England2018 said to be out, poss even first round

Pearcesport James Pearce
FIFA have backed down and promised to promise all results of rounds of voting after the announcement

james_Corbett James Corbett
Glum faces among the Australian delegation. Qatar deny they've won to me. 'how would we know?'

I don't understand how England can be out already. They invented the fucking sport, haven't had since '66, and have the most well-built infrastructure in place of any other contending nation.

xbhaskarx

AdamTheRed Adam Swift
Russia and Qatar #fifaisajoke

Outdoor Miner said:
I don't understand how England can be out already. They invented the fucking sport, haven't had since '66, and have the most well-built infrastructure in place of any other contending nation.

see above

xbhaskarx

FUCK.... looks like the rumors of Russia (and probably Qatar) are accurate:

RT by WorldFBinsider

DChernyshenko Dmitry Chernyshenko
Yesss! We are the champions! Go Russia Go!!!! Ура!!!! Congratulations!!!! Well done guys! Good luck to deliver the Great project

Dmitry Chernyshenko
@DChernyshenko Moscow-Sochi
Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee President&CEO
http://sochi2014.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom