• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Qatar... fucking ridiculous.

GrantWahl Grant Wahl
QATAR wins bid to host World Cup 2022. Joy in Doha, agony for US bid. US public: “I can’t believe we lost to these guys.”

GrantWahl Grant Wahl
Choosing Qatar and Russia is the biggest indictment possible that FIFA is not a clean organization. Petrodollars talk.

JenChang88 Jen Chang
Unbelievable. I guess Wales and Luxembourg will be prime candidates for 2026 with that logic. #fifafail

SoccerByIves Ives Galarcep
Qatar to host 2022 World Cup. AWFUL news. Awful decision. Just flat-out terrible.

kylejmccarthy Kyle McCarthy
Eric Wynalda on Qatar and Russia wins: "Natural gas and oil, that's what has just won...they have just bought the World Cup."

OliverKayTimes Oliver Kay
Only Fifa could class Qatar as the biggest risk of all the bidders and then vote for it. Joke of an organisation

Slizz

I didn't get my hopes up for this after hearing all the scandal and what not prior. It is disappointing though, however I'm OK with going to Brazil in 2014 lol. I really want to go to that one

NoRéN

Let's just hope we don't get drawn with Qatar in 2022. They're going all the way to the semis.

Eff that. here's to getting rid of automatic Host qualification in 2018.

xbhaskarx

At least England lost to Russia, they're a legit country with 150 million people, a decent national team and a decent league.

We just lost to this:

Qatar is the smallest ever country to host the World Cup (11,000 km2) while Russia is the biggest (17 million km2).

xbhaskarx

We may have LA, but Qatar has Film City... we may have Hawaii but they have Hawar island.

34rsy37.gif

WTF is "Film City" when not a single road goes to it?

Oozer3993

I love Bill Simmons:

And... all the rumors about insane bribes being thrown around to get the 2022 World Cup have been proven correct! Wow.

Qatar needs to thank its special consultant for the 2022 WC bid: Cam Newton's father.

Any time you can hold a World Cup in a hot Middle East country that's smaller than Connecticut + has no soccer tradition, you have to do it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
xbhaskarx said:
At least England lost to Russia, they're a legit country with 150 million people, a decent national team and a decent league.

We just lost to this:

Qatar is the smallest ever country to host the World Cup (11,000 km2) while Russia is the biggest (17 million km2).
That's actually a huge Plus in terms of traveling. You could theoretically go to two matches by car in the same day.

DominoKid

xbhaskarx said:

We just lost to this:

fucking desert wasteland. what a joke. i'm beyond pissed

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Damn!

I thought Ireland was far too small for a World Cup.

Turns out we are too large, unbelievable.

It's even smaller than Northern Ireland alone.

xbhaskarx

Twitter is very amusing / depressing right now:
This page is going to get a billion hits: "How to purchase alcohol in Qatar" http://bit.ly/dGau4o

People, burn as much fossil fuel as possible right now. Keep doing so. This will guarantee "Qatar" no longer exists by 2022.

Theory: FIFA prefers its bribes in stable currency, and thus was less interested in Euros and dollars.

Good news for South Africa. They won't be the only host nation ever to go out in the 1st round for long. Assuming Qatar don't buy Brazil.

Qatar is a disaster. Stadiums might be air conditioned but streets will be 115 degrees and no alcohol. Thinking most will stay home.

I still think that Qatar entered the race on a dare. Now they are wondering what to do with it.

Bookmakers have installed Greenland/Iceland 2026 as early favorites with Turks and Caicos and America Samoa close behind.

I know little about soccer, but isn't complaining about a FIFA decision akin to complaining about the outcome of a pro wrestling match?

Seriously, if it had been Australia it would have been totally understandable. Qatar? Really? WTF?

In Qatar, women have to file with an agency to work. The way they treat women makes apartheid look like a clambake in the Hamptons. Shame.

If Detroit had built some hybrid cars a decade a go...NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED!

Let's start tossing out some facts about Qatar...has the highest GDP per capita, been ruled by the same family since the 1800s

When will US get another chance to bid with no competition from established soccer powers?

Homosexuality is illegal in Qatar, and can be punished by imprisonment, or 90 lashes.

Fact courtesy of Wikipedia: Qatar has the largest fines of any other nation for traffic violations (be careful when driving)

Isn't Qatar's biggest sport - drifting various models of Mercedes on dusty roads http://youtu.be/6xTPzLkDnxo

I haven't seen a call that bad from FIFA since the offsides on Maurice Edu!

This is what Qatar has given the soccer world http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKWxzJWvtYs

What happens if Israel qualify for 2022 in Qatar? Diplomatic relations broken off last year

On the bright side, Don Garber can dispense with the charade that MLS will consider changing its calendar. #LookOnTheBrightSideUSA

Here's a reason to go to Qatar in 2022 - I've always wanted to see this sport live http://youtu.be/p6ZqypxI6_8

Highest per-capita co2 emissions for the last 18 years, largely b/c of air conditioning.

And now they're building 12 air conditioned super-stadia. So much for a "green" world cup, eh FIFA?

...if FIFA thinks UK media coverage has been negative, it ain't seen nothing yet

daoster

I was going to post this last night, but didn't want to jinx it.......

Might as well post it now:

What If We Don't Win This?

A loss here would be all the more striking because it's unclear just when the U.S. will have another crack at a major international sports event. The U.S. last hosted the Olympics in Salt Lake City in 2002 and isn't bidding for the 2018 Winter Games. After Chicago's debacle, which the U.S. Olympic Committee blamed on its poor relations within the movement, a strong bid for the 2020 Summer Games seems unlikely.

Another reason it's crucial to win: The U.S. may not ever face a field as weak as the contenders for 2022. Thanks to FIFA's rules on continental rotation, the soccer hotbeds of South America and Europe were prevented from bidding for 2022. And the remaining bidder nations all have serious weaknesses.

Nolan.

I was so convinced it was almost certain that England would get it, I'm not disappointed though it's always entertaining to see countries race to build facilities they don't have.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
So when will more details get released for the Gold Cup? I need something to look forward to. Are we waiting for the Central American teams to qualify?

xbhaskarx

2022: "In final round, Qatar received 14 votes, USA 8 votes"

2018: Apparently England received 2 of the 22 votes (rumor) and were eliminated in the first round (fact)...

daoster

xbhaskarx said:
2022: "In final round, Qatar received 14 votes, USA 8 votes"

2018: Apparently England received 2 of the 22 votes (rumor) and were eliminated in the first round (fact)...

BBC confirmed it.

BBC producer Joan Soley, in Washington DC: "When the word 'Qatar' was spoken, American fans watching the big screens at the Newseum (a "news museum") were simply stunned - no booing or tears, but disbelief; and then a minute later, every face shows honest disappointment."

All the more heart breaking :((((((

xbhaskarx

Here are the full results of the voting rounds:

22 members of the FIFA Executive Committee were entitled to vote. 12 votes were needed for an absolute majority and therefore to obtain the right to host the FIFA World Cup.

2018 FIFA World Cup

Round 1: England 2 votes, Netherlands/Belgium 4 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 9 votes (as no absolute majority was reached, the candidate with least amount of votes, England, was eliminated)

Round 2: Netherlands/Belgium 2 votes, Spain/Portugal 7 votes and Russia 13 votes (Russia obtained an absolute majority)

2022 FIFA World Cup

Round 1: Australia 1 vote, Japan 3 votes, Korea Republic 4 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 3 votes (Australia eliminated)

Round 2: Japan 2 votes, Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 10 votes and USA 5 votes (Japan eliminated)

Round 3: Korea Republic 5 votes, Qatar 11 votes, USA 6 votes (Korea Republic eliminated)

Round 4: Qatar 14 votes and USA 8 votes (Qatar obtained an absolute majority)

xbhaskarx

Qatar's 4 biggest cities (est 2010 population): Doha (998,651), Al-Rayyan (444,557), Al-Khor (31,547), Al-Wakrah (31,441)

The town I live in would be #3 even if it was divided by 2 :lol

xbhaskarx said:
Qatar's 4 biggest cities (est 2010 population): Doha (998,651), Al-Rayyan (444,557), Al-Khor (31,547), Al-Wakrah (31,441)

The town I live in would be #3 even if it was divided by 2 :lol

2022 WC Song... "WAKRAH WAKRAH"?

I am pissed that USA lost the 2022 bid; I live in Canada and was hoping to travel to the US south of the border to see some games and attend the fun.

and I am also pissed that Spain/Portugal did not get 2018 either. I am Portuguese born and I can tell you how much fun it would have been with the good food, good weather and all those historical cities of both countries connected by highways and trains.. would have been so sweet

but nope... looks like Oil Money has won it for Russia and Qatar.

but Qatar seriously?
WTF

It's not all bad folks.

Think 2026

By rule, Asia cant host again. That means, no China, no Japan, no Korea....and no Australia (they probably wish they were in Oceania right now)

Europe could host again, but it is unlikely, because Russia is hosting 2022.

Oceania is unlikely. Sure Qatar is small, but NZ is probably worse.

South America needs 2030 for Argentina/Uruguay

That leaves North America and Africa.

I dont think another African country is ready. Nigeria and Egypt may bid, but it's more unlikely than Qatar.

And that leaves USA and Mexico. Mexico has already hosted twice....

Leaving USA.

Australia should also keep their hopes up. If Qatar runs out of money, then they may want to keep the games in the conference, hence Australia.

NoRéN

^^ I thought they got rid of that rule that would rule out continents for a few years. I think it was even a big deal becasue North America was next after Brazil, or am I completely wrong?

jamesinclair said:
It's not all bad folks.

Think 2026

By rule, Asia cant host again. That means, no China, no Japan, no Korea....and no Australia (they probably wish they were in Oceania right now)

Europe could host again, but it is unlikely, because Russia is hosting 2022.

Oceania is unlikely. Sure Qatar is small, but NZ is probably worse.

South America needs 2030 for Argentina/Uruguay

That leaves North America and Africa.

I dont think another African country is ready. Nigeria and Egypt may bid, but it's more unlikely than Qatar.

And that leaves USA and Mexico. Mexico has already hosted twice....

Leaving USA.

Australia should also keep their hopes up. If Qatar runs out of money, then they may want to keep the games in the conference, hence Australia.

Dude, Somalia.

NoRéN said:
^^ I thought they got rid of that rule that would rule out continents for a few years. I think it was even a big deal becasue North America was next after Brazil, or am I completely wrong?

The rotation rule is gone, but confederations cant host the world cup twice in a row.

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:
The rotation rule is gone, but confederations cant host the world cup twice in a row.
Thanks for clarifying.
Damn, China, Korea and Japan must be pissed!

edit: Just hit me. That douche from the LA Times must be having the time of his life right now.

xbhaskarx

jamesinclair said:

We're talking about FIFA here... there is no guarantee that the rule will still be around by then. Even if it is, it's China, I can see FIFA making an exception for them. And of course the 2026 competition will once again include major European countries....

xbhaskarx

So according to FIFA's own study, the best bids lost to the two worst bids... so what was the point of doing all that analysis?

f$fa.png

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
they seriously need to make the world cup every 2 or 3 years and not every 4. it's fucked up how it can basically skip someone's entire prime and even entire career if there's an injury involved. also you'd get more global distribution of soccer if that's what they really care about. every 4 is more "special" i guess but don't tell me it wouldn't still be special if played more than twice a decade. i think the WC should go to australia, and north america again, and europe of course, but i'll be like 50 now before those even all have a reasonable chance of happening

/ugly american who clearly knows nothing about the beautiful game or its traditions

(but i'm not american so suck it)

Stuck

xbhaskarx said:
So according to FIFA's own study, the best bids lost to the two worst bids... so what was the point of doing all that analysis?

None of this makes any sense to me. Oh well, at least now I can look forward to taking my grandchildren to a World Cup match here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom