• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATF487

AstroLad said:
they seriously need to make the world cup every 2 or 3 years and not every 4. it's fucked up how it can basically skip someone's entire prime and even entire career if there's an injury involved. also you'd get more global distribution of soccer if that's what they really care about. every 4 is more "special" i guess but don't tell me it wouldn't still be special if played more than twice a decade. i think the WC should go to australia, and north america again, and europe of course, but i'll be like 50 now before those even all have a reasonable chance of happening

/ugly american who clearly knows nothing about the beautiful game or its traditions

(but i'm not american so suck it)

It works out pretty well for European teams, with the Euro tournament (which is always worth watching) in between the world cups. It'd be nice if each governing body had its regional tournament during the same time, odd years would still be terrible but it'd give the teams some time to rest

Problem with having it more often would be that it'd impact the club teams even more, and if another Liverpool player misses time after playing 84 minutes in a meaningless friendly then I will kill someone.

Thankfully we have the Gold Cup to look forward to, eh?

AstroLad said:
they seriously need to make the world cup every 2 or 3 years and not every 4. it's fucked up how it can basically skip someone's entire prime and even entire career if there's an injury involved. also you'd get more global distribution of soccer if that's what they really care about. every 4 is more "special" i guess but don't tell me it wouldn't still be special if played more than twice a decade. i think the WC should go to australia, and north america again, and europe of course, but i'll be like 50 now before those even all have a reasonable chance of happening

/ugly american who clearly knows nothing about the beautiful game or its traditions

(but i'm not american so suck it)

But you post in English and clearly you have electricity since you're on the internet...how can this be?

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
That makes me so mad :lol

Wohoo for politics
Let just move on and support our yanks. Gotta make sure we go to brazil twice and make up for that 5-0 result at the last Gold Cup.

NoRéN said:
Let just move on and support our yanks. Gotta make sure we go to brazil twice and make up for that 5-0 result at the last Gold Cup.
I hear ya. Winning the gold cup is of utmost importance right now. Got to get to the 2013 Confed Cup.

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
I hear ya. Winning the gold cup is of utmost importance right now. Got to get to the 2013 Confed Cup.
So, did anyone hear about the ultimatum CONMEBOL gave Mexico regarding Copa America?

NoRéN

Clydefrog said:
No... what happened?
So, as you may know, CONMEBOL always invites teams as guests to their regional tourney, the Copa America. For 2011, they've invited Mexico and Japan. Mexico is a regular while this will be Japan's 2nd appearance. The tourney takes place in the summer, along with the Gold Cup, normally right after.
Well, CONMEBOL has issued the Mexican Football Federation an ultimatum: Send your "A" team or they won't be invited again.
It should be interesting to see what FMF does. But, I'm sure they view keeping USA from having the most domestic Cups as the bigger target. And, it's not like Mexico did bad the last time they went over there. It was after losing to US 2-1 in '07. Mexico began the Copa America by beating Brazil 2-0. If anything, I remember there being a hoopla since Brazil had a "B" team at that tournament. Brazil ended up winning the tournament by beating Argentina 3-0.

daoster

NoRéN said:
So, did anyone hear about the ultimatum CONMEBOL gave Mexico regarding Copa America?

Well, at least they're consistent. They threw a hissy fit last year when we brought our C team and didn't invite us this time around. At least we brought Bradley along...the Mexican head coach wasn't even going to show up for this tournament.

It should be interesting to see what FMF does. But, I'm sure they view keeping USA from having the most domestic Cups as the bigger target.

I wonder about that. They probably don't care much about the Gold Cup and cuz they supposedly have soo much skill they only play well against good teams (such as some of the CONMEBOL teams). Such is the arrogance of the Mexican team!

NoRéN

daoster said:
I wonder about that. They probably don't care much about the Gold Cup and cuz they supposedly have soo much skill they only play well against good teams (such as some of the CONMEBOL teams). Such is the arrogance of the Mexican team!
I was thinking about that. But, would that same arrogance allow them to take the big guns against the big teams and let us "have" the gold cup? Guess we'll see.

And, losing to brazil or Argentina is one thing. But losing to USA at home(oh yeah! I said it!), that's just crazy!

xbhaskarx

NoRéN said:
Let just move on and support our yanks.

Dude this is a big blow, I'm still bitter and I'm going to need at least a full day before I can start getting over it.

Fucking Qatar... I understand wanting to bring the World Cup to the Middle East or to a Muslim country, but then give it to Turkey, Egypt or even Iran. We basically lost out to a pile of sand.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Dude this is a big blow, I'm still bitter and I'm going to need at least a full day before I can start getting over it.

Fucking Qatar... I understand wanting to bring the World Cup to the Middle East or to a Muslim country, but then give it to Turkey, Egypt or even Iran. We basically lost out to a pile of sand.
:lol
I know what you. Though, for some reason, I found this all so ridiculous that all I could do was laugh.

xbhaskarx said:

:lol Great now I'm pissed again

xbhaskarx

Independent

* Thompson votes for Korea in the first round of 2022. Chung, billionaire scion of the family that owns Hyundai, does not vote as expected in the 2018 bid.

* Korea are eliminated in the first round of 2022. In the next three rounds Thompson votes for the US, as per his agreement.

* In the 2022 race there are suggestions that Warner has not delivered his three Concacaf votes to the US which would mean, incredibly, that the American ExCo member Blazer did not even vote for his own country.

* The Australians are eliminated in the 2022 first round with one vote, thought to be that of Franz Beckenbauer. They have spent around £25m on their bid which had good technical and economic reports from Fifa.

* There are suggestions that even Michel Platini, who has built his Uefa presidency on opposing big money in football, has voted for Qatar – the tiny emirate with no football history but big oil wealth.

* Platini is thought to have been heavily influenced by Nicolas Sarkozy, France's president, who is negotiating a €1bn-plus investment by Qatar in the French nuclear fuel programme.

* Qatar triumph in the fourth round of voting at 2022. The Fifa ExCo members are ferried to limousines waiting to take them back to the Zurich Messehalle to attend the official announcement of the results to the world's media.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
If that bit is true, what's the point of even trying to get a bid? Seriously, it's a waste of time and money.

daoster

chuck-blazer-300x350.jpg

Chuck Blazer, you son of a bitch! Just when I'm starting to get over it, I find out you betray your own damn country.

xbhaskarx

Chuck Blazer says he voted for U.S.

FIFA Executive Committee member Chuck Blazer, the only American member on the 22-person panel, has denied that he turned his back on the U.S. bid to host the 2022 World Cup, and insists that he voted for the U.S. in every round.

On Thursday, the U.S. was beaten out by Qatar, 14-8, in the fourth and final round of voting that was conducted by secret ballot. Later that same day, in a conference call with reporters, U.S. Bid Committee chairman Sunil Gulati noted there was some "tactical voting -- groups using a vote or two to make sure someone else wasn't eliminated which would help later on."

Of note was the fact that U.S. received only three votes in the first round, and it was assumed that those votes consisted of the three members of the Executive Committee representing CONCACAF; Blazer, Jack Warner of Trinidad & Tobago, and Rafael Salguero of Guatemala.

But both The Independent and The Guardian published articles on Saturday suggesting that the U.S. bid had been abandoned by the three CONCACAF representatives. Neither Warner nor Salguero were immediately available for comment, though Salguero was quoted in late November as saying he didn't know how he would vote. But Blazer, in an email to ESPN.com, flatly denied that he hadn't supported his own country's bid

"Let there be no doubt, I happily confirm that I voted for the USA in each of the four ballots taken," he said. "I consider it an insult that anyone could presume anything else after 30 years of dedicated service to our sport in America."

Attempts to reach Gulati for further comment were not successful.

Of course it was a secret ballot so who knows...

daoster

Spector being awarded for his game against ManU...starting today against Sunderland as a Central Midfielder..

First Premier League appearance since August the commentators said!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
daoster said:
Well, at least they're consistent. They threw a hissy fit last year when we brought our C team and didn't invite us this time around. At least we brought Bradley along...the Mexican head coach wasn't even going to show up for this tournament.

The difference here is that the only reason Mexico's sending juveniles it's because of CONCACAF mandates. But yes, not sending the main coach is also kind of a dick move.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
Thanks for the links.
I would much rather Spector go to Germany. Too little too late, hammers. Was it it about English teams and getting our players only to not use them and say they suck? We need Spector playing regularly, well, all our defenders, since that continues to be our Achilles Heel.

Dempsey has been on a roll! Let's hope it lasts til summer.

xbhaskarx

South Africa Says 309,000 Tourists Came to Country for Socccer World Cup

The FIFA World Cup attracted 309,000 visitors to South Africa during the tournament, with fans spending 3.6 billion rand ($520.8 million) on hotels, food and clothing, the Tourism Ministry said.
The number of visitors was in line with the government’s estimate, which was scaled back to as low as 250,000 from an original projection of 450,000 as the global recession and flight costs deterred some fans.

Fans from the rest of Africa accounted for 38 percent of visitors who came to the country to watch the games, mainly from Mozambique, Swaziland and Botswana, the ministry said.
Of the European tourist arrivals, 22,802 came from the U.K., 8,741 from the Netherlands and 8,596 from Germany, the ministry said. More than 30,000 fans from the U.S. visited the country for the World Cup, while 12,210 came from Australia. Brazil topped the list of South American visitors with 14,815.

South Africa spent 43 billion rand preparing for the World Cup, including building or renovating 10 stadiums, expanding roads and constructing a high-speed rail-link between the airport and Sandton, where the stock exchange is based.

World Cup fans stayed on average 10.3 nights in the country, with 79 percent paying for accommodation and the rest living with friends and family, the ministry said. Gauteng province, which hosted the opening and final matches in Johannesburg, attracted the most visitors at 223,039, it said.

2010 World Cup didn't make nearly enough money for South Africa

xbhaskarx

I was happy for Brad Guzan after reading this

FRIEDEL CONSIDERING MLS RETURN

Former U.S. national team goalkeeper Brad Friedel has spent more than a dozen years plying his trade in Europe, but he may be ready to return to Major League Soccer.

Friedel is reportedly pondering an offer to be a player-coach for the Columbus Crew as talks with current club Aston Villa over a new contract have come to a halt. The 39-year-old standout could still remain in England, but a return to the Crew could make for an interesting proposition.

Columbus currently boasts Wil Hesmer in goal and while he is one of the better young goalkeepers in the league the Crew would be hard-pressed to pass on the chance to bring back Friedel, who played for Columbus in 1996 and 1997.

but... wtf

New Villa boss Gerard Houllier has already started looking at new keepers and Rangers' Allan McGregor,28, is a target.

While the club are considering their options with Manchester United back-up shot-stopper Tomasz Kuszczak, 28, is also under consideration.

If they don't think highly of Guzan he needs to go elsewhere.

Pre

What the fuck is with English clubs not giving our guys chances? Guzan has the ability to be an elite goalkeeper. If Villa doesn't see him as their keeper-in-waiting, then fuck 'em. He needs to get the hell out of there next month.

ATF487

Pre said:
What the fuck is with English clubs not giving our guys chances? Guzan has the ability to be an elite goalkeeper. If Villa doesn't see him as their keeper-in-waiting, then fuck 'em. He needs to get the hell out of there next month.

Has the ability? He's 39, and while a pretty good keeper, not one that has any real unused potential hanging around. Houlier is probably going for value/youth, which is why he's looking at younger keepers.

I'd like him to come to MLS, personally

edit: hahaa that jersey

Collar - professionalism

NoRéN

ATF487 said:
Has the ability? He's 39, and while a pretty good keeper, not one that has any real unused potential hanging around. Houlier is probably going for value/youth, which is why he's looking at younger keepers.
Bradley Edwin "Brad" Guzan (born September 9, 1984,)
That makes him 39. I think you're thinking of Friedel.

xbhaskarx said:
As if MLS didn't try too hard already, the new Houston Dynamo jersey is "reminiscent of Netherlands at Euro '88"

Fuck it, MLS should just go all in:
Dynamo Hvstyn (changed to look more Russian)
Atlético San Jose (same ownership as Oakland Athletics)
Portland Forest (tree-related)

...I can't think of any others right now.
hmm, I guess I wouldn't mind some more partnerships in MLS. I do like the spelling for Houston. :D

xbhaskarx

MLS expansion teams:

San Francisco County (could work wherever the city and county have the same name)
San Antonio Hotspurs

I'll stop now.

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
:lol
I was waiting for someone to point that out.

I think YOU'RE thinking of Friedel. :lol
I was thinking Friedel but meant Guzan's age.
Heck, 26 for a keeper is like 17 for an infielder, right?

xbhaskarx said:
MLS expansion teams:

San Francisco County (could work wherever the city and county have the same name)
San Antonio Hotspurs

I'll stop now.
Well, aren't you clever!

xbhaskarx

FIFA Rankings: Top 50 Nations - All-Time Average Ranking

Nations with an all-time average FIFA ranking of 50 or better since the rankings were started in 1993.

US is 13th

17.954 - USA

NoRéN

xbhaskarx said:
FIFA Rankings: Top 50 Nations - All-Time Average Ranking

Nations with an all-time average FIFA ranking of 50 or better since the rankings were started in 1993.

US is 13th

17.954 - USA
Woo!

...good thing the rankings started in 93. :D

NoRéN

Anyone here in SoCal, or anywhere for that matter, that's planning on going to the game at Home Depot Center in Jan?

Clydefrog

Yeah, I am. I keep on meaning to send out an e-mail to my friends seeing who wants to go... we'll probably get cheap endzone seats

NoRéN

From experience, the Jan. games hardly fill up. So, any seat can easily turn into a front row seat. It will be nice to see them play someone not from Scandinavia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom