• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

daoster

NoRéN said:
I'm pretty sure a sell out crowd is a bit more than just nice. Looks good for the gold cup.

Where are the cards for Argentina? Oh, Latin American ref. I see.

Mexican ref though, so theoretically, Argentina should be getting more cards.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
NoRéN said:
I'm pretty sure a sell out crowd is a bit more than just nice. Looks good for the gold cup.

Yeah, I admit I was underselling that. :)

NoRéN said:

Gold Cup will definitely be more popular this go around...especially if people realize winning it will take us to the 2013 Confed Cup

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
yea, awesome crowd.

they're saying between 20 and 30k for the paraguay game in nashville tuesday, which is pretty good for us

daoster

Very nice result from USA!

These results are good for the morale of our team, and credit to Bob Bradley for making the right subs.

daoster

Gamecocks625 said:
So USA wins 1-1

usa+wins+1-1.jpg

NoRéN

daoster said:
Mexican ref though, so theoretically, Argentina should be getting more cards.
But Univision says when a latin american team plays it's "Uno de los nuestros"?
On of ours
:)
Judderman said:
Yeah, I admit I was underselling that. :)
I was like, "What must it take to impress you!?!"

Gamecocks625 said:
Gold Cup will definitely be more popular this go around...especially if people realize winning it will take us to the 2013 Confed Cup
I really wish the gold cup was only every 4 years. "This one matters...this one doesn't...this one matters..."

USA wins 1-1!!!!!!!!!!!

edit: Ohh, Gamecocks and daoster can just go to hell!

NoRéN

Santiako said:
Good match, I foresee a good future for football in USA if they can keep this interest.
Bring us your best and we'll give you a great, big crowd.
Another Gold Cup win and a good performance in the Confed Cup would definitely go a long way.

Judderman said:
Nice attendance.

There must have been at least 200,000 people in US stadiums today watching soccer.

79,xxx in Jersey
48,110 in Oakland

+
18,591 at Philadelphia
12,157 at Chicago
12,914 at New England

+ 3 more games.

Anyway, first half = why is the US team composed of middle schoolers?
2nd half = fucking finally, excellent passes....but why does team USA always resort to thuggery?

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:
2nd half = fucking finally, excellent passes....but why does team USA always resort to thuggery?
What?

daoster

It was really a tale of two halves...the first half was horrible, and 95% of the play was in our BOX. We couldn't properly clear the damn ball, the few times we did go on the offense, people would make horrible passes or just lob the ball off the field.

I wonder what kind of talk Bob gave to the boys in the dressing room.

Crisis

Banned
jamesinclair said:
There must have been at least 200,000 people in US stadiums today watching soccer.

79,xxx in Jersey
48,110 in Oakland

+
18,591 at Philadelphia
12,157 at Chicago
12,914 at New England

+ 3 more games.

They responded to the thuggery on the field.

daoster

jamesinclair said:
Every game the US plays, someone fouls them so they start fighting back and its card after card after card.

They need to learn to do a kaka-style "I aint even mad".

This is mainly Dempsey and Bradley, and we need some bulldogs when we're getting hacked the fuck down by some bad fouls.

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:
Every game the US plays, someone fouls them so they start fighting back and its card after card after card.

They need to learn to do a kaka-style "I aint even mad".
lol

Well, you can see it that way or you can see it like this: Why do all big teams expect to brush aside the US like they are nothing? Then, when they realize that we actually have some talent and can play decent soccer, they resort to that same old tactic: Piss them off until they hopefully retaliate and get themselves sent off.
Messi's face summed it up: "Why can't I score? I'm Messi!"

NoRéN

talisayNon said:
i still stand by my initial assessment that Bob Bradley = Eric Mangini. We'll see his true colors with his collapse in 2016. Watch!
What happens in 2016?

edit: Subitai's avatar should be the next US Banner!

Slizz

Great atmosphere, great second half. Agudelo keeps gettiing better. The future looks bright for us. I liked that Bradley went agressive in the second half with Jozy an Agudelo up top, with Agudelo an Jozy exchanging great passes the entire time

Mindlog

NoRéN said:
But Univision says when a latin american team plays it's "Uno de los nuestros"?
On of ours
:)
The American Football analogue would be,
SEC! SEC! SEC
:D

That was fun to watch. Agudelo is looking to sell some jerseys.

NoRéN

The great thing about Agudelo is that he seems to be the best thing to happen to Jozy. "Oh shit, that was supposed to be me! I better man the fuck up!"

great result, nice the see the US fans actually turnout and let themselves be heard in NJ unlike the disgraceful showing at the Brazil game. I would have made the trip but it was the Union's home opener today so I was obligated to be there.

Solid defense all game long against a dangerous side. Surprised the commentary said the pitch was dry as the players must not have been able to tell as there was world class diving going on, on both sides...

I'll take 1-1 after they dominated possession and chances in the 1st half.

NoRéN said:
The great thing about Agudelo is that he seems to be the best thing to happen to Jozy. "Oh shit, that was supposed to be me! I better man the fuck up!"

Right. that little back heel pass showed that Altidore started to pick it up a bit when Agudelo came in. He's like another Charlie Davies or something.

Tristam

Not promising at all imo. Yeah, the scoreline is nice, but obviously it didn't reflect the flow of the game. The first half was shockingly bad--like, do we not understand the fundamentals of passing and off-the-ball movement? Why do we just hoof it down the field and hope the ball magically lands at an American's feet? It's nice that we improved in the second half, but gawd.

NoRéN

Gamecocks625 said:
Right. that little back heel pass showed that Altidore started to pick it up a bit when Agudelo came in. He's like another Charlie Davies or something.
right. he also had that cross that Agudelo volleyed but was deflected.
As great as Agudelo has been, I wouldn't mind having him as a sub. I think it would be great to throw him against the opposition after the half. Have him tear up an already tiring team.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I just wanna say Agudelo is a really good prospective. His entrance totally changed the way you guys were playing.

Still pissed off at the tie. Between my two rivals, I hate the US more. Nevertheless, congratulations.

jamesinclair said:
Youre just jealous only the better teams get to keep their flags. (3-1!)

You know, I hate this kind of attitude from other Mexico fans. Scratch that, football fans in general.

daegan

The first half was infuriating and abysmal. I'd really like to see our guys possess more, and I want to see some more power in Dempsey's shots.

The two changes made us a completely different team in the second half, and it showed. I feel the tie flattered Argentina more than us, after those 45 minutes. And that's saying a lot.

xbhaskarx

Fuck yeah!

I was busy all day so I just finished watching the game. I have been avoiding this thread all day to not spoil it.

First half was rough, second was much better, was it the players or the formation? Agudelo and Chandler were both great, but even Altidore was much better after they switched to two forwards, after being almost invisible in the first half.

As Ian Darke said Argentina are probably the best team since the World Cup, with wins over Spain, Brazil, and Portugal. 1-1 coming from behind this time is more impressive than 0-0 last time.

That moment for Onyewu in the first half was just terrible. What does it say about the state of the Dutch league if he regularly plays LB for a top team?

Tim Howard. When he is in a zone....

Selling out New Meadowlands Stadium, wow. The atmosphere was great, I wish I had been there.

Most importantly, all credit to Bradley for taking a chance on unproven youngsters like Agudelo and Chandler. And to whoever at the USSF (Gulati? Baradley?) schedules these friendlies. The level of the competition has improved drastically from ~5 years ago when we were usually playing teams like Guadalupe or Finland.

I've been so bogged down with school I wasn't even aware there was a game tonight until a friend tweeted it. I would have definitely been there...next time.

daegan

xbhaskarx said:
That moment for Onyewu in the first half was just terrible. What does it say about the state of the Dutch league if he regularly plays LB for a top team?

Mainly that he's still shaking the rust off. Onyewu is class.

xbhaskarx

daegan said:
Mainly that he's still shaking the rust off. Onyewu is class.

Okay, I'm not saying he's not class, but as you said, he is rusty. So I'm a bit perplexed that not only is he playing so much for his team, but at LB not CB.

jamesinclair said:
but why does team USA always resort to thuggery?

Which YouTube clip to post in response to this? This one, this one, or this one? They all have two things in common: Mexican thuggery and Dos a Cero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom