• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US GAF: Support your national soccer team

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

I'm watching U-20 US against Suriname on ESPN3.
At first I thought Suriname had the worst national anthem ever, then I heard the US anthem. I'm pretty sure they are using a phonograph from the 1870s. Every stray dog in a ten mile radius must be howling.

NoRéN

jamesinclair said:
(Mexico = Venezuela) > Paraguay > (Argentina = USA)
I don't know what this is supposed to mean but I do recall Argentina sending the mexicans packing, two world cups in a row. That is all.

xbhaskarx

How sad are you Mexico fans that you spend time in this thread?
And now you're just blatantly (if not very cleverly) trolling, which means you're on the same level as Verano (at least he actually lives in Mexico I think, not in the US like you two).

xbhaskarx said:
And now you're just blatantly (if not very cleverly) trolling, which means you're on the same level as Verano (at least he actually lives in Mexico I think, not in the US like you two).

James was obviously joking at the results from the internationals. I don't know how you came up with the conclusion that I trolled. lol It was obvious I was laughing at the pain Mexico suffered from getting owned by Argentina much in the same way as "FML" works.

Also posting doesn't take much time at all, nor do I see a reason for the US to have its own thread. I think it would be best to leave all football talk in the football thread so the football thread strengthens in numbers.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not bothered by this thread at all. I'm merely suggesting that football GAF would benefit as a whole if the US national team thread ended up inside the official football thread.

NoRéN

KS Seven X said:
James was obviously joking at the results from the internationals. I don't know how you came up with the conclusion that I trolled lol It was obvious I was laughing at the pain Mexico suffered from getting owned by Argentina much in the same way as "FML" works.
You and Regulus Tera are probably my favorite Mexico fans. I can definitely picture myself having some tough words over some beers the next Mexico/US game.

xbhaskarx

Sorry, I got a bit defensive with the trolling accusations.

KS Seven X said:
nor do I see a reason for the US to have its own thread. I think it would be best to leave all football talk in the football thread so the football thread strengthens in numbers.

Okay, that's your opinion.

My opinion is that the main football thread should be stickied, but the more football threads the better. And so I post in every football thread, which matches up with my view on GAF football threads.

If you think there should only be one football thread, why are you posting in here? Along with not being a fan of the US soccer team, the subject of this thread, that would seem to be two very strong reasons to not be in here.

KS Seven X said:
I'm merely suggesting that football GAF would benefit as a whole if the US national team thread ended up inside the official football thread.

The reason for this thread is because GAF is a site based in the US and most of the people who post here are Americans, but soccer is not very popular in the US compared to most other countries, even if it is gaining in popularity. This is meant to help increase its popularity amongst Americans on GAF while providing a place where new people who are just getting into it can post even if they associate totally different meanings with words like "pitch" and "football"...

We need Freddy Adu back in the team...that will help us, right? Didn't you guys see that Sierra Mist commercial several years ago?? I mean come on..

xbhaskarx said:

Dude, applying the transitive property to football results in a time honored tradition.

It's simple. If team a beats team b, and team b beats team c, than team a is better than c.

A hypothetical matchup between the USA and Mexico TODAY would result in a 4-0 win for mexico.

Which is actually an improvement for team USA, if you remember the last time the two teams met.

26 July 2009
United States 0 – 5 Mexico
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford
Attendance: 79,156
Torrado Goal 56' (pen.)
dos Santos Goal 62'
Vela Goal 67'
Castro Goal 79'
Franco Goal 90'

So the US is getting better.

Oozer3993

jamesinclair said:
Dude, applying the transitive property to football results in a time honored tradition.

It's simple. If team a beats team b, and team b beats team c, than team a is better than c.

A hypothetical matchup between the USA and Mexico TODAY would result in a 4-0 win for mexico.

Which is actually an improvement for team USA, if you remember the last time the two teams met.

26 July 2009
United States 0 – 5 Mexico
Giants Stadium, East Rutherford
Attendance: 79,156
Torrado Goal 56' (pen.)
dos Santos Goal 62'
Vela Goal 67'
Castro Goal 79'
Franco Goal 90'

So the US is getting better.

It was the Mexican's A- team against the American C- team, at best.

Players on the Mexican roster for the Gold Cup final who were also on their 2010 World Cup squad: 9

Guillermo Ochoa
Gerardo Torrado
Efrain Juarez
Israel Castro
Giovani Dos Santos
Jonny Magallón
Guillermo Franco
Alberto Medina
Carlos Vela

At least 5 of those players started a World Cup game in 2010.

Players on the American roster for the Gold Cup final who were also on their World Cup squad in 2010: 2

Stuart Holden
Clarence Goodson

Neither of them started a World Cup match and only Holden saw (limited) action, as a substitute in one game.

Most of the other players on the US Gold Cup roster haven't even been selected to appear for the US since then. And there's a giant disparity in national team appearances between the two teams. Guillermo Ochoa, who was Mexico's 2nd string keeper for the World Cup, has almost double the number of appearances as Goodson and Holden, combined.

Picked this up today at Niketown this afternoon:

IMG_3070.jpg

No 'indivisible' on the right sleeve, but I'm hoping that it'll be an option when I finally purchase the home kit. At least for now, I can proudly wear both blue and red.

xbhaskarx said:
Why respond to such obvious trolling, he's just lucky no mods read this thread.

I dont think you understand what trolling is.

Ive been following team USA on neogaf since before you even heard of this place.

xbhaskarx

Go to the TransGAF thread and make similar comments as a non-transsexual and we'll see what happens to you.

Congrats on joining GAF two years before me, but what is the relevance of how long you have been following soccer on GAF? You're not a fan of the US team and that's what this thread is for.

xbhaskarx said:
Go to the TransGAF thread and make similar comments as a non-transsexual and we'll see what happens to you.

Congrats on joining GAF two years before me, but what is the relevance of how long you have been following soccer on GAF? You're not a fan of the US team and that's what this thread is for.

Um. I am a fan of team USA.

You know you can support two teams right....?

Why do you think Univision shows most USA games...and gets higher ratings than ESPN does?

I support:
Mexico
USA
Brazil

New England Revolution
Chivas Guadalajara
Parana Clube
Chelsea
Barcelona

jamesinclair said:
I support:
Mexico
USA

Brazil

You can't support two teams in the same region in internationals the same way you can't support two teams in the same league, ESPECIALLY when they're rivals!

Hey jamesinclair, who did you support in the race for the presidency in 2008?
"Obama and McCain!"

platypotamus said:
You can't support two teams in the same region in internationals the same way you can't support two teams in the same league, ESPECIALLY when they're rivals!

Hey jamesinclair, who did you support in the race for the presidency in 2008?
"Obama and McCain!"

You have no idea what youre talking about.

Most foreigners living in the US support team USA AND their team back home.

Again, why do you think Univision shows more team USA games than any other OTA network? Because the people who watch it can support team USA AND their national team.

And you can support two teams in the same league. If you're from SF and you support the giants, and you move to Florida, does it mean you cant go watch a marlins game and cheer for them?

jamesinclair said:
And you can support two teams in the same league. If you're from SF and you support the giants, and you move to Florida, does it mean you cant go watch a marlins game and cheer for them?

If you cheer for the Marlins you got your own problems, but I'd say Mexico/USA would be more akin to Giants/Dodgers... or Yankees/Red Sox.

Like I said, I don't really have an issue with having "backup teams". Heck, I support Germany after USA (for no real reason other than liking their style of play), and I don't have a problem with you supporting Brazil, but man, when it comes to soccer it's like Colbert would say, Mexico/USA are at war, pick a side!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom