• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uwe Boll's Bloodrayne is a cinematic tour de force? See what AICN says...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Watching this film, you could imagine that Uwe was aiming to achieve the look and feel of Stephen Sommers. After the film, I had the pleasure to talk with Uwe about his taste in films – and to a large degree this involved Uwe bagging on a film like UNDERWORLD – which while that film certainly had a more expensive look, at the end it sucked as badly, if not worse than Uwe’s latest effort.

..I wouldnt go that far, while far from perfect there are different levels of SUCK and Underworld is no where near the levels of SUCK that Alone in the Dark was my GOD. Atleast Victor and Lucian where interesting characters.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
samus4ever said:
Oh man. I can't wait. 6 uwe boll movies due for release between 2006 and 2008. He's becoming one of my favorite directors. Love his work with interlacing gameplay from house of the dead with the actual movie. really brought in the dramatics.
please tell me you're joking.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ponn01 said:
Ahh..let's not get into that. It was amicable and he's bringing on James Newton Howard. Nothing like the Danny Elfman/Sam Raimi bullshit.
Sure it was amicable, according to press statements made by Peter Jackson.

Just saying.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Dan said:

Yeah, I was about to comment on this. Nobody fires their "friend" and composer a month and a half before the movie is to be released and have it completely amicable.

As for Peter Jackson not working with a "hack". It's the movie industry. People work with anyone as long as bills get paid. And actors rarely get a script where they can go, "Aha! This is undoubtedly trash!" or "Aha, this undoubtedly Oscar gold!" If you learn that a project is directed by Uwe Boll, this might be a first where the writing is clearly on the wall before you step on set.

The road from script to production is a long one, and many films get lost on the way. A lot of actors have stated that during production they thought the particular movie was going to be a piece of shit and it ends up being a huge hit.

Burt Reynolds and Boogie Nights is a great example, for instance.

Borys

Banned
siege said:
His greatest has yet to come...

ds6mo.jpg

That doesn't look like Dungeon Siege, I mean, how can you make a movie that has anything to do with DS? It's your most typical fantasy stuff with mages, dragons, lizardmen and ancient arachnoids on the desert.

Lakitu

st5fu
eXxy said:
I don't get the hate. Alone in the Dark is fuckin' awesome. I still need to see House of the Dead.

Dude, you like Tim Burton, but you like... Uwe Boll? DOES NOT COMPUTE

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Seriously, most of the people who bash Boll haven't seen his flicks. He's not a good director by any stretch of the imagination, but he sure as hell creates a great bad movie.

Ash Housewares

The Mountain Jew
Kung Fu Jedi said:
This preview lost all credibility when it calls Michelle Rodriguez a "fine actor".

I was with the writer all the way and then that line just took me out of it, huh? fine actor? now I'm really confused

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Willco said:
Yeah, I was about to comment on this. Nobody fires their "friend" and composer a month and a half before the movie is to be released and have it completely amicable.

As for Peter Jackson not working with a "hack". It's the movie industry. People work with anyone as long as bills get paid. And actors rarely get a script where they can go, "Aha! This is undoubtedly trash!" or "Aha, this undoubtedly Oscar gold!" If you learn that a project is directed by Uwe Boll, this might be a first where the writing is clearly on the wall before you step on set.

The road from script to production is a long one, and many films get lost on the way. A lot of actors have stated that during production they thought the particular movie was going to be a piece of shit and it ends up being a huge hit.

Burt Reynolds and Boogie Nights is a great example, for instance.
Sean Connery and Matrix or LOTR is another great example.

eXxy said:
Seriously, most of the people who bash Boll haven't seen his flicks. He's not a good director by any stretch of the imagination, but he sure as hell creates a great bad movie.
Alone in the Dark is plotless, boring, and capable of making anyone nauseated within the first five minutes. It's terrible in every way. I'd never watch that shit again.

Still, I don't get the hate. He's just some friendly guy who makes bad movies based on franchises no one should care about that much in the first place. Maybe he'll someday make a mediocre film that manages to make a little cash.

Mashing

It just cracks me up how much people hate his movies, but PAY money (generally) to watch his filth in the theatres or buy his DVD's just so they can laugh at it. I guess that's why he keeps making movies.

Triumph

Banned
Mashing said:
It just cracks me up how much people hate his movies, but PAY money (generally) to watch his filth in the theatres or buy his DVD's just so they can laugh at it. I guess that's why he keeps making movies.
I paid to see something else and snuck in to catch Alone in the Dark. I was the only one in the theater.

Well here's how he keeps making films:

Boll essentially is a modern-day director. He's able to secure the investors (mostly German, in Hollywood often derisively referred to as "stupid German money"), secure the rights for cheap, picking games with only moderate brand recognition, does all of the actual production himself, and swiftly cranks out a movie. While under normal circumstances a director's movies could gross so little he's eventually shut out from every operating studio, Boll is exempt because he funds them under a loophole in German tax law that is supported by contributors and actually rewards movies that perform badly, via a writeoff at the end of the year.

But:

It has been recently reported that the loophole in German tax law has been revised. Starting January 2006, contributors to failed films will no longer be able to profit from failed films through a tax writeoff at the end of the year. This may well result in an end to Boll's film career, as it would make it impossible for him to capitalize on films that fail at the box office, resulting in a loss of investors.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
enjoy bell woods said:
Well here's how he keeps making films:

But:
for some reason I find that hilarious. "They're closing the loophole... well, it was fun while it lasted. Time for a new job."

Ponn

Banned
Dan said:

Just saying.

Well yea, and that's all we have now so it's pointless to be pointing fingers or making assumptions. Maybe the soundtrack they had going just wasn't fitting the movie and I can see that. Maybe it's more, who knows, but the composer they brought on is in pretty much the same league as Shore so I wouldn't worry.

Well yea, but people do have the ability to make choices. Put it this way, do you think Jackson would really, really hire Uwe Boll for Halo? I think you pretty much answered that question in the bold part of your quote though :lol

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I don't see the need for another Boll thread, so...

http://thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001390786
Producer-director Uwe Boll has created a new distribution company, Event Film, which will release the $60 million "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" in two separate parts in wide release on Nov. 3, 2006, and Dec. 1, 2006. The movie stars Jason Statham, Ray Liotta and Leelee Sobieski. In a separate development, Boll has also optioned film rights to the controversial video game "Postal," which has sold more than 1 million units despite being banned in 13 countries and having been publicly condemned by U.S. Sen. Joe Lieberman, D-Conn. Boll has optioned the game from developer Running With Scissors with plans to film the $10 million-$15 million feature in late 2006 for a 2007 theatrical, marking the 10th anniversary of the game's release. Regarding the plans to release "Dungeon Siege" in two parts, Boll said it will be "a huge epic adventure, and to support the exhibitors who can't accept a movie so long, we decided to split the movie in half." (John Gaudiosi)

Yay, even more Uwe Boll!

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Azih said:
Alright nobody tells me what happened to www.uweboll.com . What's the story dammit.

1UP: I guess the final question is...you view the Internet so much...have you ever typed your own name in as a website?

Yeah, I know, but if you go now on it, I think it's removed.

1UP: Have you known about that for a while? It seems like the kind of thing you would see removed pretty quickly.

It was a while but I didn't give a shit, but because more and more people were talking about it, we wrote to the guy - he's from Nashville - and I think he switched it off because at one point I have to secure my private interests, so it's like, what I basically tell to fans, I say 'Look, it's all entertainment. I'm not actually a mass murderer, so if I make a movie that you don't like it, it's good if you write it, you can write whatever you want that I'm a retard or an idiot, but it's different to write on the Internet that you actually want to kill me or something if you don't write it funny enough.' [laughs]

So I think it's a little idiotic also from their end. The one thing with everybody who knows how hard it is to make a movie at all should also appreciate, no matter what the movie is - even if it's an amateur or shitty movie - where people are putting work into it and people should respect that. Like, I even respect all the thousands and thousand of people who make movies only for a few festivals and then they disappear to nowhere basically. Still, even if I don't like the movie, I do know how hard it is to get actors and everything together and shoot it and to cut it and make music on it, and, sure, no matter what crappy movie it is in the end, it was work.

As a little respect, is way easier to write something on the Internet on the message board compared to that. So, there.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?pager.offset=5&cId=3143249

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom