• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

LegatoB

FUN FACTS YOU MAY NOT HAVE KNOWN: It is possible to do co-op on at least some story missions! Now if only they'd let you replay them...!

Ad-hoc Party continues to surprise me with how well it handles these games, though the lag waiting for your bullet hits to "count" on your Singaporean host's PSP can be utterly terrifying, in an "oh my sweet lord how did you MISS that radia--- oh okay" kind of way.

ezekial45

Banned
The only thing i agree with Duckroll is the fact that you have to grind for each PARTICULAR character. Thats pretty tedious, and it really messed up my plans for some characters when i found out. They should've had the credits go into a particular class pool, not for each character.

Anyway, how do you get certificates? I want Hemul(sp?) to become a sniper, and thats all i need.

EDIT: Also, i don't really know why you guys are so upset that you can't replay story missions. The first game didn't let you do it either (on the first playthrough).

This game sounds right up my street, I was going to old out and get Kingdom hearts while waiting for Phantasy star portable 2 to come out but its all taking too long.

eznark

Banned
About an hour in...man the set up is atrocious. I almost wish there was just a quick battle option or something. I enjoyed the story and trappings of the first game, does this ever get there or is the story cringe-worthy throughout?

AleeN634

duckroll said:
Oh you think that's bad? Finish Nichol's Classmate mission and then come back to me. :(

Oh man that was... weird. Especially since I had just completed Franca's right before.

Quick Tip: One of the Light Tank designs uses only 1 CP so don't be afraid to use that combo to blow through some of the missions.

May16

HaRyu said:
Gunners: Eh. I hardly use this unit type. They fire in a strafe from left to right, so a single target doesnt really get all the hits. 3 to 5 hits tops maybe. Good for crowd control though. Oddly enough, to me, they do seem to cause more damage to armored soldiers more than shocktroopers and scouts.
^ They're the most powerful defensive unit in the game, it should be noted.
Stick one in a base and watch the hopeless fools try to make it in.

Their offense is also more powerful than that of a standard shocktrooper. You mention they only hit 3-5 time, but generally, that kills a guy.

Oh you think that's bad? Finish Nichol's Classmate mission and then come back to me. :(

You know, I actually like Nichol's character. Now I have one less thing to look forward to in this game. :/

Gunners shouldn't be using CP beyond what it takes to deploy/move to the next base.

Also I've come to the conclusion that whoever disses Armoured Techs/Fencers is insane.

duckroll

Pureauthor said:
You know, I actually like Nichol's character.

Yeah I really liked him too. He was the first character i ever upgraded, and he's my only Sniper. But after that incident... I don't even use him anymore. It's just... :(

daoster

duckroll said:
Yeah I really liked him too. He was the first character i ever upgraded, and he's my only Sniper. But after that incident... I don't even use him anymore. It's just... :(

But
they're not related!
:D :D It's legit!

Have you changed
Chloe
into a sniper? She's suppose to be the best.

MrDaravon

Got the next to last copy at Kmart this morning; only just happened to spot the deal on CAG this morning, awesome. Was holding off because I won't get to this for a while, but that's a damn good deal.

daoster said:
But
they're not related!
:D :D It's legit!

Have you changed
Chloe

I try not to use the jerks more than I have to. >_>

Of course, that leaves me at a bit of a quandary concerning which camp
Randy
falls into.

duckroll

PUBLIC APOLOGY

I, duckroll, hereby apologize for all previous slander made against the class known as Armored Techs. Not only are they not nerfed Engineers, but they are pretty goddamn amazing once you get the hang of it.

:lol :lol :lol

ezekial45

Banned
duckroll said:
PUBLIC APOLOGY

I, duckroll, hereby apologize for all previous slander made against the class known as Armored Techs. Not only are they not nerfed Engineers, but they are pretty goddamn amazing once you get the hang of it.

Of course they aren't. :lol

Their shields makes them invulnerable to small arms fire (if you're facing the right way). They're practically mobile cover.

Giolon

duckroll said:
PUBLIC APOLOGY

What did you do to make them good?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Unknown Soldier said:
I'm hoping that the rumored VC3 will finally cover the greater war in Europa, but what's this horseshit about Lelouch being a minor prince? Didn't you play VC1 with the Japanese voices so you could listen to Lelouch Geassing the shit out of Gallia? :lol

:lol :lol

I played it in English, so no Lulu for me :p

duckroll said:
It's true though. Lelouch Maximillian is totally a minor prince. He's a crown prince who got downgraded because his mother was of low birth, so he decided to regain favor by trying to conquer Gallia and use the ancient Valkyrur tech to try and win the war for the Empire. Too bad he sucked, so he failed. :lol

Ha ha ha, know that you put it this way....the Villain of Valkyria sounds almost like the Protagonist of Code Geass, in more ways than one.

:eek:

duckroll

Giolon said:
What did you do to make them good?

In missions with turrets and enemies clustered around base camps, the APC+ArmoredTech+Lancer combination makes the mission go SO MUCH faster than trying to brute force it with Shocktroopers and Scouts.

You basically move the APC into a favorable position, more the Armored Tech in to clear out the entire base and to make the turrets turn to expose their backs, all without getting much damage at all. Then you use the Lancer to clear out the turrets. Then you move the APC and carry both units back in, and warp off through the gateway to the next part of the map.

It's a very effective new strategy I've discovered. Sure, the Shocktrooper/Scout combo works most of the time on many filler missions, but I definitely feel that it benefits me to learn more alternative strategies that work just as well or better in certain conditions. This will mean that during the story missions, which are generally much tougher, I have many more options available to consider for each situation.

Also, keeping an Armored Tech in your APC means you can disarm mines which can't be avoided on paths. This can really cut down on mission time as well, since otherwise you either can't continue on that path, or you risk hitting the mine and destroying the APC.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
May16 said:
^ They're the most powerful defensive unit in the game, it should be noted.
Stick one in a base and watch the hopeless fools try to make it in.

Their offense is also more powerful than that of a standard shocktrooper. You mention they only hit 3-5 time, but generally, that kills a guy.

Not denying they're strong. Just the fact that one might be misled by the fact that the shot counter might state out of your max number of shots (50, i think?), it would take 9 shots to take down someone. But since you're not shooting in a straight line, the actual shots that hit is going to be somewhere in the 3 to 5 range.

Besides, like I said, good for crowd control. :D

Giolon

duckroll said:
You basically move the APC into a favorable position, more the Armored Tech in to clear out the entire base and to make the turrets turn to expose their backs, all without getting much damage at all. Then you use the Lancer to clear out the turrets. Then you move the APC and carry both units back in, and warp off through the gateway to the next part of the map.
This is supposing you've somehow upgraded your Armored Techs to the point where they can actually kill somebody without taking 3 turns to do it, right? (see my earlier post - My AT's, who aren't specialized yet b/c they won't earn frickin' Certificates, can't kill anything more than a Scout with less than 3 hits)

My brother and I are plying through the game together, and while I am still stuck with August main mission, he is in October now, and sadly, the story line has taken what we considered a joke at first. Mind you, I wasn't looking for a serious story, but still...

August spoilers...don't highlight if you want to cry:
As soon as i saw the character and read the information about Dirk, being different, and the fact lanseal had a Valkyrur program, I made a off-hand joke that Dirk was going to be the brother of Avan all along....and what do you know!!! Besides, I still don't get why Julianna got killed by a V2 of all things...oi

Anyway, in regards to armor techs...people, you just have to upgrade the tech class, grind a few April missions, and make fencers...works very well against
Julianna and the pathetic tournament
=p

Also, gunners, when used as base defenders, can kill V2s...sometimes even without the shield being taken out. Just fyi, as I find those the comments that they are useless rather wrong.

ezekial45

Banned
I'm a little disappointed that Vyse and Aika aren't back in the game. The Sky Pirate tank sticker does sorta make up for it though.

duckroll

Giolon said:
This is supposing you've somehow upgraded your Armored Techs to the point where they can actually kill somebody without taking 3 turns to do it, right? (see my earlier post - My AT's, who aren't specialized yet b/c they won't earn frickin' Certificates, can't kill anything more than a Scout with less than 3 hits)

Basic Armored Trooper, leveled up to lvl6 I think. I've never used her before this, and I haven't upgraded any of their weapons. She killed Scouts and Snipers in 1 hit, and Shocktroopers in 2 hits.

Hcoregamer00

For the levels stated in missions, are they the recommended levels to challenge the mission?

I have two character missions that are level 15 and I am WAY below that (level 5 across the board for all classes).

duckroll

Hcoregamer00 said:
For the levels stated in missions, are they the recommended levels to challenge the mission?

I have two character missions that are level 15 and I am WAY below that (level 5 across the board for all classes).

I think they simply indicate what level the enemies in that mission are. It hardly matters though, because tactics basically always trump stat advantages in VC. Enemies might have more HP and do more damage, but it doesn't change the fact that tactically the player always has a huge advantage because the computer is pretty dumb.

HaRyu said:
Scouts/Scout Vets: I use them as their name implies, to scout ahead and look for enemy units I cant see. They tend to be strong enough to kill any solider in their turn, but it usually has to be headshots. There are some enemy units (usually the ones that have shields), where you really do have to get behind them, or at least to the side, to get a kill. Also used to flush people out and em stand (w/ grenades).

Someone recommended using Chloe as a sniper, but as a Scout with her unlocked ability she can cover A LOT of ground. Gives a good idea of who's out there.

HaRyu said:
Gunners: Eh. I hardly use this unit type. They fire in a strafe from left to right, so a single target doesnt really get all the hits. 3 to 5 hits tops maybe. Good for crowd control though. Oddly enough, to me, they do seem to cause more damage to armored soldiers more than shocktroopers and scouts.

For me, they have excelled at camp defending. They fire off a ton of bullets, and most that come after my camps now end up dead.

HaRyu said:
Mortarers: Hardly use these guys either. They're pretty effective though for crowd control, plus you dont really have to be exact w/ your aim.

I use these guys constantly. They can sometimes kill crouching scouts/snipers in one hit.

HaRyu said:
Fencers: Good lord, I love these guys more than snipers. I tend to deploy them in areas where there's not a lot of elbow room, or as the single unit on one of the secondary areas (while all the other unts are deployed in another area). They pretty much can hold their own until help actually arrives.

My favorite class, I use them to insta kill just about everybody. I will usually dispatch them against bosses.

After 30 hours (I'm in May), I can safely say that I haven't obsessed about a videogame this badly in years. I haven't played VC1, so I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the design choices/changes. I am very eager to play the first one now, and this might have cemented a purchase of a PS3 for me.

Hcoregamer00 said:
This, he is such an annoying idiotic bro-con.

:mad:

I honestly hope his brother is alive and a main villain just to piss him off (nobody say anything if you know this is true or false, I'm still only 4 hours in).

Ikkarus

mistuhcahlos said:
After 30 hours (I'm in May), I can safely say that I haven't obsessed about a videogame this badly in years. I haven't played VC1, so I don't have a chip on my shoulder about the design choices/changes. I am very eager to play the first one now, and this might have cemented a purchase of a PS3 for me.
Think bigger maps, lovely art style, nicely paced story, kick ass squad. I don't like to hype up VC1 as it's a game to enjoy at your own pace but it's my game of the decade so I hope you do get a chance to play it.

daoster said:
Have you changed
Chloe
How dare you not say Marina. D:

anddo0

Pureauthor said:
You know, I actually like Nichol's character. Now I have one less thing to look forward to in this game. :/

I love that little guy, his side story is the best so far.. Franca side quest is also nicely done. I use Nichol and Melissa as my snipers. I was going to turn
Chloe
into a sniper until I read about her scout ability.

Alexis is another interesting character. I was shocked when I found out
he was a she
. I honestly couldn't tell.

I'm still debating which class Avan will ultimately become. I like my leaders to be up and about so keeping him as a scout is one option.. On the other hand his CP is far too valuable to lose if he falls in battle. So, the Gunner or Fencer class may be more suitable because of their camping ability.. Tough decision.

Giolon

duckroll said:
Basic Armored Trooper, leveled up to lvl6 I think. I've never used her before this, and I haven't upgraded any of their weapons. She killed Scouts and Snipers in 1 hit, and Shocktroopers in 2 hits.
Anyone can take out Scouts and Snipers in 1 hit. The problem is, Scouts, Snipers, Shocktroopers, and even Engineers! can take out Shocktroopers, Lancers/Mortarers, and Armored Techs in 1 turn - but my own Level 8 Armored Techs take 2-3 turns for a shocktrooper and 3-4 for a Lancer or Mortarer! I've rarely seen enemies standing close enough together to take advantage of the wide arc of the hammer swing. I'm really hoping I can class some of these guys up to Fencer soon so I can see what all the hoopla is about.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Nose Master

Okay, where exactly do you get certificates? Is it for killing Ace's or...? You know what? I'll just google it before someone recommends that I do so. :lol

EDIT: It's a random drop, really? I guess Avon is staying a Scout forever, then... :lol

anddo0

Nose Master said:
Okay, where exactly do you get certificates? Is it for killing Ace's or...? You know what? I'll just google it before someone recommends that I do so. :lol

EDIT: It's a random drop, really? I guess Avon is staying a Scout forever, then... :lol

It's completely random.. Killing a leader, Ace, or yellow-hat helps.

Edit: walking over a fallen enemy body helps as well. I have OCD when it comes to corpse . If I kill a solider I have to collect his body.:lol

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Nose Master said:

Good luck on that, there doesnt seem to be any definite answer how to get certificates. It does seem however, that it gets easier to get them the further in you are in the game. Generally, March is where most people can start upgrading units to 2nd tier, but its a horrible grind trying to that in March. I've recommended to my friends they should at least wait till April, where the odds are a little better (that's where I buckled down and advanced everyone).

Giolon

Nose Master said:

During story missions it seems like they're guaranteed for VIPs from the end of February onwards.

Nose Master

anddo0 said:
It's completely random.. Killing a leader, Ace, or yellow-hat helps.

Edit: walking over a fallen enemy body helps as well. I have OCD when it comes to corpse . If I kill a solider I have to collect his body.:lol

Does this actually help? I do it too... but I'm not sure it actually does anything. :lol

anddo0

Nose Master said:
Does this actually help? I do it too... but I'm not sure it actually does anything. :lol

I think it increases the chance of picking up mission based items (Sppt X, Armsx etc..). I've replayed quite a few missions in order to farm certificates. I notice when you collect the ace's body the certificate drop rate is slightly higher. As opposed say, killing the ace during the enemy phase when it's impossible to recover his body. Again, this could be completely random, but that's what I've gathered so far from my time with the game.

Ikkarus

Right I have reached the story mission in March, just tried it and half my squad got killed.
Anyone have any hints as to how to protect the APC? Secondly is it worth attacking those Valkyrur soldiers? The boss one has the range of a sniper by the way he attacks my soldiers halfway across the map. :(

Still, I'm really digging the game still, I have begun altering people's jobs. Feels good to have
Marina
as a sniper again. :)

Giolon

Ikkarus said:
Right I have reached the story mission in March, just tried it and half my squad got killed.
Anyone have any hints as to how to protect the APC? Secondly is it worth attacking those Valkyrur soldiers? The boss one has the range of a sniper by the way he attacks my soldiers halfway across the map. :(

Still, I'm really digging the game still, I have begun altering people's jobs. Feels good to have
Marina

Some tips based on what I did:

Do not engage the V2s at all. Stay the hell away from them!
Do not add anyone other than Avan with the APC.
Keep pushing onwards.
Take out those goddamn supply Vehicles!
It may behoove you to leave someone in a camp connected to the APC starting area, b/c Dirk is gonna waste his time re-capping them (instead of pursuing you presumably).
Don't be afraid to spawn an Engineer to repair your APC and heal people.
Armored Tech's shields don't do jack shit against the V2s' laser fire.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Ikkarus said:

Marina

Take out the enemy APCs. If there's one in the same area as the V2 Knights or Gen. Dirk, it'll provide them w/ the ability to generate a force field that pretty much makes all damage done to them pathetic. Funnily enough, they actually tell you this... in April. :D

The V2 knights are easy to take out once the force fields are down. Dirk is another issue altogether, but I manage to whittle him down w/ a fencer (since he cant counter attack since the fencer isnt shooting).

anddo0

AleeN634 said:
Got my first Fencer :D I think I found my new favorite unit outside of the Scouts.

They're great camp defenders and kill pretty much everything with one hit. It's pretty funny watching 5-6 shock troopers/scouts circle your base with no hope of getting in.:lol

I can finally turn Erik into a Gunner. So that should be fun.

Seda

HaRyu said:
Take out the enemy APCs. If there's one in the same area as the V2 Knights or Gen. Dirk, it'll provide them w/ the ability to generate a force field that pretty much makes all damage done to them pathetic. Funnily enough, they actually tell you this... in April. :D

The V2 knights are easy to take out once the force fields are down. Dirk is another issue altogether, but I manage to whittle him down w/ a fencer (since he cant counter attack since the fencer isnt shooting).

I just avoided Dirk altogether. Is there any benefit of taking him out?

Bragging rights?

Fencer Alexis just walked right up to him (once I downed the Supply Vehicle, anyway) and beat the crap out of him.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Seda said:
I just avoided Dirk altogether. Is there any benefit of taking him out?

You unlock a medal and a title for defeating Dirk (w/c dont really affect anything gameplay wise). Now, I'm not sure if you still get the medal if you dont defeat Dirk, but I've never passed that stage w/o defeating him, so cant really answer that.

In terms of actual rewards that matter, pretty sure you get something, not exactly sure what it is though.

Hcoregamer00

Ikkarus said:

Marina

Holy shit, I am on the same map.

At first I thought it was going to be a cakewalk like those level 15 missions I have been doing, but boy have I been WRONG.

I take it that this is where the game gets a little harder....right?

Hcoregamer00 said:
Holy shit, I am on the same map.

At first I thought it was going to be a cakewalk like those level 15 missions I have been doing, but boy have I been WRONG.

I take it that this is where the game gets a little harder....right?

March and April are generally agreed to be the hardest storyline missions.

Just did Rene's classroom mission. Made a few big errors early on and the whole level turned into one massive slog.

(Didn't help that I only had two Lancers in my group.)

Top Bottom