• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

DAMN,
Aliasse
just joined my pty and I want to use her but man I've already have an almost top tier scout. guess I have to get credits for her starting from scratch -_-

Ikkarus said:
Right I have reached the story mission in March, just tried it and half my squad got killed.
Anyone have any hints as to how to protect the APC? Secondly is it worth attacking those Valkyrur soldiers? The boss one has the range of a sniper by the way he attacks my soldiers halfway across the map. :(

Still, I'm really digging the game still, I have begun altering people's jobs. Feels good to have
Marina
as a sniper again. :)

I did really poorly on this mission cause I didn't figure out
about the supply vehicles
until half my squad was dead.
Make taking out those supply vehicles your first priority. Use mortarers, grenades, and/or your fencers on the Valkyrur soldiers, it can be hard to sneak up on them. The best time to get them is when they camp out next to the bases. Capture the base, spawn, attack. I used all my CP just attacking with a fencer til they were dead. If you're trying a new tactic and things aren't looking good, go into command mode and have that soldier retreat. Don't let your troops die all over the map. Take a few extra guys with you if you don't already head into a fight with all your spots taken.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Trent Strong said:
I can't find any walkthroughs for this game. Does anyone know if there's a walkthrough anywhere out there? Baldren is raping me.

Fencer sammich.

Get Baldren between two fencers and have them alternate slicing his back. He wont be able to counter attack, plus he seems to have a 100% dodge rate when you attack him from the front.

Also, in order to cancel out his revival order on fallen units, you want to have your guys run over and pick up the bodies that way he cant bring em back.

HaRyu said:
Fencer sammich.

Get Baldren between two fencers and have them alternate slicing his back. He wont be able to counter attack, plus he seems to have a 100% dodge rate when you attack him from the front.

Also, in order to cancel out his revival order on fallen units, you want to have your guys run over and pick up the bodies that way he cant bring em back.

Thats what I was afraid of. This is Demon's Souls all over again, impossible to pass without finding some obscure special trick. The first VC wasn't like this.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Trent Strong said:
Thats what I was afraid of. This is Demon's Souls all over again, impossible to pass without finding some obscure special trick. The first VC wasn't like this.

Well, its not really obscure. You could use any units that fall in the category of "no counterattack". That would be Fencers, Techs, Lancers, and Mortarers. Its just far easier and faster to use Fencers.

And the part where he has a nearly100% dodge rate when attacking him from the front. That's not like its news. In the beginning of the game, there's a tutorial that states that enemy commanders (any named unit), tend to be harder to defeat if you attack them head on, so they recommend you attack them from the rear.

duckroll

How can anyone claim to have played VC1 without knowing about the trick where you use one unit on one side of the enemy boss, and another unit on the other side of the boss? It's really basic tactics. In general you don't even need to attack with the first guy, the aim is to get the boss to turn around, so the other unit behind him can shoot him in the back.

This also applies to turrets in VC2, you use one fast mobile unit (or an Armored Tech) to make them move and point in some other direction, while you deploy a Lancer to shoot them from behind. It's pretty essential in both VC games to know how to distract enemies and get them at their weak spots....

ezekial45

Banned
Are there certain conditions for getting the credits needed for the class upgrades? I'm getting the feeling that it's completely random. If it isn't, is there like an FAQ or guide to show you what you need to do for the credits? I'm trying to get a certificate for Hemul (sp?).

I still love the game, but the fact that credits aren't pooled together from every character is a real buzz kill.

Ferga

HaRyu said:
You unlock a medal and a title for defeating Dirk (w/c dont really affect anything gameplay wise). Now, I'm not sure if you still get the medal if you dont defeat Dirk, but I've never passed that stage w/o defeating him, so cant really answer that.

In terms of actual rewards that matter, pretty sure you get something, not exactly sure what it is though.

i just won that mission without taking dirk out.

You get a death medal i think

duckroll

ezekial45 said:
Are there certain conditions for getting the credits needed for the class upgrades? I'm getting the feeling that it's completely random.

I still love the game, but the fact that credits aren't pooled together from every character is a real buzz kill.

Certain credits yes, certificates no. It's really annoying. That's why I complained that it's a grindfest. :(

Before you engage on a mission, you can press [] to check on the mission info, and it includes a list of all the enemies types you could be facing, and all named enemies. It also includes a list of credit types you'll definitely be able to get from the mission, and one material type the mission will definitely give. Beyond that, it's all random, including the quantity. I've completed missions where the top scorer and runner up get no certs at all, but some random unit below that who already has more than enough certs gets like 2-3 certs. Bullshit. :(

HaRyu said:
Well, its not really obscure. You could use any units that fall in the category of "no counterattack". That would be Fencers, Techs, Lancers, and Mortarers. Its just far easier and faster to use Fencers.

And the part where he has a nearly100% dodge rate when attacking him from the front. That's not like its news. In the beginning of the game, there's a tutorial that states that enemy commanders (any named unit), tend to be harder to defeat if you attack them head on, so they recommend you attack them from the rear.

O.K., good point and thanks for the help. What's bothering me about this game is that I don't have any fencers or Mortarers or any alternate tank weapons and I don't know how to get them. As far as I know the game doesn't tell you how to get these things, and that's a pretty shitty way to design a game. It's like Demon's Souls in that you can't really play it correctly without getting info from the internet, or some kind of guide. I'll have to go back to some specific map to kill some specific Ace to get some specific upgrade or backpack. Fuck that style of game. That isn't what I expected from a VC game. Basically, everything duckroll said about this game earlier. I'll try to see if I can pass this game cold, without any grinding or backtracking, but I doubt it.

Nose Master

March mission was really easy...
Fighting anyone except Lancer's and enemies cockblocking transfer camps is a complete waste, and suicide. I did realize in this fight, however, that bugle-engineers can't heal tanks. :lol Not sure if they're worth even putting on the field, though..

PS: That beast girl may be the most obnoxious character ever made.

duckroll

Trent Strong said:
As far as I know the game doesn't tell you how to get these things, and that's a pretty shitty way to design a game. It's like Demon's Souls in that you can't really play it correctly without getting info from the internet, or some kind of guide. I'll have to go back to some specific map to kill some specific Ace to get some specific upgrade or backpack.

This is sort of nonsense, completely. This game has a shitload of tutorials, so much so that it pisses me off. Maybe you skipped them, or you don't like to read, or whatever. If you want you can still go back into Avan's Room and read the Class Notes. Those are where all the tutorial messages are stored after you skip them.

The game basically tells you exactly what you need for everything. It tells you what credits you need to change to a certain class. It tells you exactly which Ace you need to kill for an equipment upgrade, and mission info listings tell you exactly what credits and which Aces are available in each mission.

What exactly are you complaining about?

I'm in October right now and I have 1 thing I hope they really fix in VC3(assuming they keep credits). Make it so that at the end of the battle you get a pool of credits and then YOU can distribute the credits to whoever. this makes it much more appealing to use more than your stable 8 or so characters as well as not needing to to pointless farming cause the drops randomly go to one of your people. been trying to get march II X for my anti tank sniper by farming this mission and I never get the right damn credits...(yes I made sure they're available in the mission)

duckroll said:
This is sort of nonsense, completely. This game has a shitload of tutorials, so much so that it pisses me off. Maybe you skipped them, or you don't like to read, or whatever. If you want you can still go back into Avan's Room and read the Class Notes. Those are where all the tutorial messages are stored after you skip them.

The game basically tells you exactly what you need for everything. It tells you what credits you need to change to a certain class. It tells you exactly which Ace you need to kill for an equipment upgrade, and mission info listings tell you exactly what credits and which Aces are available in each mission.

What exactly are you complaining about?

I guess I wasn't paying attention.

Seda

HaRyu said:
You unlock a medal and a title for defeating Dirk (w/c dont really affect anything gameplay wise). Now, I'm not sure if you still get the medal if you dont defeat Dirk, but I've never passed that stage w/o defeating him, so cant really answer that.

In terms of actual rewards that matter, pretty sure you get something, not exactly sure what it is though.

Oh, I guess I'll get the medal much later then once I can replay missions. I figured I wasn't supposed to fight him. Got an A rank though.

EDIT: I think you can replay story missions after the endgame.

duckroll

The story events at the end of June are a new high in stupidity for the storyline. It's sort of morbidly entertaining to see how much worse the story (and Avan) can get. It's really quite painful to watch any story event involving Avan. He has to be one of the worst leads in the last few years of gaming.

It's too bad they don't dedicate more story events to the villains. I actually find them pretty interesting and cool. I think it'll be better for the plot too if a rock randomly falls on Avan's head some day and kills him, letting Zeri take over the class.

Ikkarus

Thanks for the March mission suggestions all. I shall give it another go when I play it later.

HaRyu said:
I might take on Dirk in that case, I dont have a fencer yet. Is it worth taking him on without one?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
*sigh*
I actually really, really want to play this now.
But not before VC1, which I don't have time to play right now.
:(

duckroll said:
The story events at the end of June are a new high in stupidity for the storyline. It's sort of morbidly entertaining to see how much worse the story (and Avan) can get. It's really quite painful to watch any story event involving Avan. He has to be one of the worst leads in the last few years of gaming.

Just wait for August.

iammeiam

duckroll said:
The story events at the end of June are a new high in stupidity for the storyline.

I just finished that section and actually came to GAF specifically to bitch about it and this was already here. Unless there's a secret twist waiting where the game reveals that you're supposed to think Avan sucks the whole time, everyone involved in writing that particular segment should feel really really bad about themselves. It's probably too much to hope that
Welkin finds out about this self-inflicted gunshot bullshit and enrolls in the academy to kick Avan's dumb ass to the curb.

Mejilan said:
*sigh*
I actually really, really want to play this now.
But not before VC1, which I don't have time to play right now.
:(

You're always complaining about lacking time to play a game that you really really want to play. Did you ever end up finishing Theresia, btw?

(lol I won't have time to play this until I finish Chaos Rings at least)

Giolon

The random assignment of Certificates is really starting to piss me off. I've taken a particular character on 10 missions in a row to try to get them one (so I could have one of those Fencers that I hear are so awesome!). I've tried everything from making him the top VIP, to the last ranked person, to rescuing downed squad members, to killing Leaders, and capping bases...

This aspect of the game is really frustrating.

Pangya

duckroll said:
Is it confirmed that we can replay all story missions after beating the game?

Just beat the game last night and yes you can. There's so much post-game stuff that I probably won't be touching for a while since Kingdom Hearts today and Phantasy Star Portable 2 next week.

Seda

Pangya said:
Just beat the game last night and yes you can. There's so much post-game stuff that I probably won't be touching for a while since Kingdom Hearts today and Phantasy Star Portable 2 next week.

What about the two tutorial missions?

Pangya

Seda said:

Not sure about those, I'll have to check tonight since I'm at work. Oh and to anyone with the PSN version wondering about Data Install, it does make a slight difference in the loading times when trying to access things like the Store, R&D Building, etc. Other than that I haven't really noticed a difference.

duckroll

Pangya said:

Awesome. Thanks.

In regards to June, I found that part so bad, it was hilarious. The down-side was
Cosette stupid blood fear potential! Ugh, very frustrating when trying to grind...thankfully goes away later on =p

Currently in November, grinding for materials and diplomas again...really want a mauler to go with my elite fencer =p To those who have made it past the mountain of information you get after August, I do have a question I have not been able to figure out...
In regards to the whole Vahalla project. I understand the process take a physical toll on those who participate in the process, but what was the difference that made Leon go blank and follow the rebels, as opposed the Julianna getting killed by risky and stupid attacks. I probably shouldn't wonder, it would make my head hurt...

Another bit I don't get from the first game (game story spoilers)
was I thought it was figured the Valkyrurs were the cause of the calamity, and used the Darcsens as scapegoats. Thought this information would have been disseminated just a bit before the civil war broke out, but I suppose you just can't fight 2,000 years of Darcsen racism overnight...or over two years

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
radiantdreamer said:
You're always complaining about lacking time to play a game that you really really want to play. Did you ever end up finishing Theresia, btw?

(lol I won't have time to play this until I finish Chaos Rings at least)
I could kind of justify it VC2 were a spin-off or side-story. But not a numbered, mainline sequel!

Regarding Theresia, I did get a little farther than when I last posted in that thread, but ultimately I set it aside for other classic adventure style games that rank higher on my priority queue.

I just finished Metroid Other M and am wrapping up Darkstar One as far as my consoles go. I'm currently trying to decide between finishing GoW2 (and moving up to 3), Arc Rise Fantasia, and starting a Ratchet & Clank series run.

I might skip them all for VC1, though.

Seda said:

Apparently, even the tutorial missions can be replayed after the game is completed. I was worried about this too because I think you need to A Rank every mission in a month to get a nice, gold "COMPLETE" sign on the month display mission list.

I am on the third month and I am starting to enjoy the game more than I did. The story is still a big old pile of "whatever", but the gameplay is still as addicting as the original. I LOVE how the game displays where enemy aces are in the mission select screen. I really, really like all the gameplay changes. From what I have seen most materials seem fairly plentiful and there is a great sense of progress whether you are developing new equipment or leveling up your classes. I still don't like it nearly as much as the original, but the game is definitely good.

My K-Mart finally got the game in stock, so because I picked it up with BBS, I ended up getting the game for $14.99.

I'm still just a little bit through P3P, and I've got BBS waiting for me, but I really hope I can pick up the game and start it tonight. I'm really, really excited!

Macstorm

duckroll said:
Fencers.Are.Awesome.

That is all.
Wow, I agree completely. I'd been having issues with Armored Tech being too slow and not doing enough damage to be useful... so I'd not been able to easily upgrade any. So when I saw that I'd gotten enough stuff with Avan to make him a Fencer I did and have not regretted it at all. He can sweep through a camp and take a tank or two down while he's at it.

Giolon

duckroll said:
Fencers.Are.Awesome.

That is all.
You know what would be nice? If any of my Armored Techs would ever earn a fucking certificate. It's royally pissing me off.

duckroll

Giolon said:
You know what would be nice? If any of my Armored Techs would ever earn a fucking certificate.

Yes, it took me awhile to get one. The certificate system is so random and broken it needs to be removed and never revisited again in future Valkyria games. :(

Nose Master

I'm assuming Ice Crusher is an armor upgrade. And different from Rock Crusher? Where exactly do you get it? It's not listed under my current upgrade plans, nor the ace who (I assume) drops it :<

Also: (April spoilers)
Baldren is a motherfucker.

duckroll

Nose Master said:
I'm assuming Ice Crusher is an armor upgrade. And different from Rock Crusher? Where exactly do you get it? It's not listed under my current upgrade plans, nor the ace who (I assume) drops it :<

Also: (April spoilers)
Baldren is a motherfucker.

I think you're talking about Ice Breaker. It is not exactly an upgrade. It's not something you equip. Instead it's an ability the Utility APC body frame has. The normal Light APC body frame has the "off road" ability instead. As long as your body frame is the Utility APC, it will be able to travel over the ice areas normally.

Nose Master

duckroll said:
I think you're talking about Ice Breaker. It is not exactly an upgrade. It's not something you equip. Instead it's an ability the Utility APC body frame has. The normal Light APC body frame has the "off road" ability instead. As long as your body frame is the Utility APC, it will be able to travel over the ice areas normally.

Ah, I never use the APC. :lol Thanks!

Also, for April, I assume you
have to have all three bases captured at the same time for it to count the victory, right? I'm gonna have to kill Baldren if that's the case :mad:

Nose Master said:
Ah, I never use the APC. :lol Thanks!

Also, for April, I assume you
have to have all three bases captured at the same time for it to count the victory, right? I'm gonna have to kill Baldren if that's the case :mad:
You might want to consider using one. The utility APC in particular can carry more weight (so you can haul all your fancy upgrades), has higher HP than other APCs(especially with Spare Parts equipped), and it can carry passengers. You can equip it with a flamethrower which has a wide sweeping spray that I've used pretty regularly to take out 3 soldiers at once. Also, it only uses 1 CP per turn. The passengers that you carry don't count as deployed troops. So take this into consideration: you start your turn with your APC, face a couple of your troops you want to move down the field, "carry" them, maybe build a ladder or bridge along the way, and use your flamethrower to take out a soldier (and maybe get another shot with "Bloodthirsty"). 1 CP!! While these soldiers are being "carried" you can deploy others to do a little clean up around your camp. I use the utility APC on EVERY mission.

By the way, the flamethrower can take out those gatling turrets in one shot.....from the front.

tenton

Yeah, the Utility APC is how I beat that map, too. What's even better is when you can load the nearby troops into the APC from the command map (not always possible). Then you don't have to waste AP turning around.

And the flamethrower is awesome. Roasting troops, gattling turrets and sometimes your own troops (I've done that a couple of times, once on purpose to finish off a "kill everyone map" because the teammate was in the way :lol ).

Salaadin

ANy surefire ways to get a Certificate for a squadmate so I can turn them into a sniper? I just finished a mission and the runner up got the Certificate but the winner didnt

tenton

At this point, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason how people get certificates. If someone can figure it out, a bunch of us would be glad to know. It's seemingly random at the moment.

duckroll

Salaadin said:
ANy surefire ways to get a Certificate for a squadmate so I can turn them into a sniper? I just finished a mission and the runner up got the Certificate but the winner didnt

I've done missions where the certificates go to some guy at the bottom of the list (x4!!!!!!!!!!) while no one else got any. Not the top scorer. Not the runner-up. Nope, some lancer I deployed just once in the entire map got 4 certificates instead! And he already had 3! He doesn't need more!

Yeah the system is totally busted.

AleeN634

Salaadin said:
ANy surefire ways to get a Certificate?

The most consistency I've had is the soldier that kills a Veteran on a map will usually get a Certificate (70% chance) unless that's their only kill on the map. But so far no one has seen a surefire way...

tenton said:
At this point, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason how people get certificates. If someone can figure it out, a bunch of us would be glad to know. It's seemingly random at the moment.
I think as you do missions over and over, they yield less certificates. I've spent a lot of time trying to upgrade one of my engineers, I sent him on a new mission. He killed one guy and healed one tank and got a certificate (everybody got certificates). 18 of my 19 soldiers are mid tier now, so I can now focus on getting shit done instead of trying to make someone a hero.

Top Bottom