• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

AleeN634

Giolon said:
I'm in March and the only mission I got an Certificates in was from that last mission in February. :( That's holding me back from classing most people up.

I managed to get 2 from doing the 2nd Paid Mission over again (A Golden Opportunity). Actually I'm having a problem trying to figure out how the game awards them to the squad since it won't always give it to the top performing member at the end of a mission.

Also unlocked a few of the Classmate missions which are pretty fun and different. You also tend to get a lot of cash and exp for completing them. You can also alter some Potentials like
Chloe's
after you're done.

Giolon

AleeN634 said:
I managed to get 2 from doing the 2nd Paid Mission over again (A Golden Opportunity). Actually I'm having a problem trying to figure out how the game awards them to the squad since it won't always give it to the top performing member at the end of a mission.

Also unlocked a few of the Classmate missions which are pretty fun and different. You also tend to get a lot of cash and exp for completing them. You can also alter some Potentials like
Chloe's
after you're done.

Oh cool. I didn't want to buy them because they're so $$$. I'll have to pick at least that one up!

this game is quite challenging like I knew it would be, who the **** said this game was easy as hell? and I'm not even on 2 star missions yet(on august but haven't checked missions so maybe they start now :p). My brain just explodes thinking about how much more challenging it gets when you get up to the 2 and 3 star missions D:.

LOVE IT!

But it got pretty hard in march. I have yet to play a mission where i could save in the level. I miss that about the first one.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Is there anything special about the events other then story / character development. I kinda want to skip most of them, unless you get some rewards for viewing them.

Ferga

I just wanted to know if I would understand the story/game with no knowledge of the first game (I don't have a ps3)

Giolon

Ferga said:
I just wanted to know if I would understand the story/game with no knowledge of the first game (I don't have a ps3)
This is in the OP. You'll be fine. Just know that the game spoils an important plot point from the first game very early on b/c it's central to this game's story.

Lafiel said:
Is there anything special about the events other then story / character development. I kinda want to skip most of them, unless you get some rewards for viewing them.
I don't know, but you can press the Start button as soon as they're initiated to skip through to the end of them and still get "credit" for having watched them (they get added to your book).

duckroll

Just started the game. Holy crap the story is so bad. If this were an anime, I would stop watching after ep1. Luckily, I survived the VC1 story, so this shouldn't be too much of a challenge. The game seems like it's portable VC, so it should be fun.

yursnhere

Just started a little while ago, I am in March so far. Loving the game and all the improvements over VCI (gameplay wise anyway). The story isn't that bad either.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I don't know, but you can press the Start button as soon as they're initiated to skip through to the end of them and still get "credit" for having watched them (they get added to your book).
I might just do that for the whole game.:lol

What happens if you try installing the game if you've bought it off of PSN? I would try it myself but I'm afraid of creating black holes (actually, MS is full).

Ikkarus

I'm still in February, I'm trying to get A Ranks for all missions before I move on.

It sucks none of my friends like VC as the co-op side of things sound a blast. So I'm trying to complete them on my own which is still fun but I feel later on down the months I will hit some real tricky ones.

son of a bish! any tips for august story fight? I think I was on my way to beating it then some bs dude poped outta nowhere and took my base camp -_-.

ps - fencer elite, so bad ass with all that armor/sword and defense :3

I've given up trying to find a copy in a brick n' mortar, it's sold out everywhere. Sega has to have seriously under-shipped this game. Amazon here I come.

Giolon said:
I'm in March and the only mission I got an Certificates in was from that last mission in February. :( That's holding me back from classing most people up.
I've gotten quite a few certificates from the two missions in March where you can earn Sppt and Sppt X. I don't know what tactics to use to get Sophia a Sppt X and Chloe a certificate. I've tried a bunch of different scenarios where they get a lot of kills and capture enemy bases, but no luck so far. I don't have too much to complain about though, I have two snipers, two trooper veterans, one scout veteran, one lancer veteran and one fencer. Still in March.

AleeN634

Regarding Certificates I've noticed that I started getting them after killing Veteran soldiers in the March missions. They are usually awarded to the person who killed them but not always. Augh, my Avan is doomed to stay a regular scout forever :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
jaundicejuice said:
I've given up trying to find a copy in a brick n' mortar, it's sold out everywhere. Sega has to have seriously under-shipped this game. Amazon here I come.

I know I am stating the obvious, but being "sold out" everywhere could mean one of two possibilities.

1. Demand for the game is actually much higher than the initial print.
2. Sega low-balled North American sales and had a very small first print of games.

I am hoping for number 1, but my business experience and the PSP's anemic software market is telling me that it is more like number 2.

Hcoregamer00 said:
I know I am stating the obvious, but being "sold out" everywhere could mean one of two possibilities.

1. Demand for the game is actually much higher than the initial print.
2. Sega low-balled North American sales and had a very small first print of games.

I am hoping for number 1, but my business experience and the PSP's anemic software market is telling me that it is more like number 2.

I don't know for fact but I imagine that Sega of America didn't bother coming up with bilingual packaging for this game and just threw American copies to the Canadian market. Then the game would fall into the import niche, my understanding is that stores here can only order and stock so many copies of import games. Essentially compounding the difficulty of acquiring a niche release game. I'll know if this is the case once Amazon ships me my copy.

Giolon

Here's the thing that I really don't get plotwise. Lanseal is supposed to be this prestigious military academy that scouts for talent and gives challenging entrance exams...so how the hell did all these idiots and unmotivated dipshits in Class G make it in?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Giolon said:
Here's the thing that I really don't get plotwise. Lanseal is supposed to be this prestigious military academy that scouts for talent and gives challenging entrance exams...so how the hell did all these idiots and unmotivated dipshits in Class G make it in?

Uhh Some people just test well?

Edit: Did they get rid of S rank in this one like they did in the US version of VC1?

I've got like 4 hours on this game so far and it is pretty much what I expected. I am a HUGE fan of the original VC. It is probably my favorite PS3 game still (right next to Demon's Souls).
I really enjoyed the story and characters in VC. The way some scenes were handled with the Sakimoto tunes playing in the background made the game feel epic and classic. There were betrayals, relationships, character deaths, political intrigue, all the right elements that make SRPGs so great.

VCII, on the other hand, has been total post-Persona 3 sold well syndrome. I really don't get the appeal of games that are set around high schools with teenagers. Not to say Persona 3/4 and VCII are bad games or anything, because the games themselves are a lot of fun to play and are really well structured. It's extremely hard to care about these characters so far. While I am not too far, the whole game has basically been, "whoa, I am like late to class or whatever" and "oh, another training mission, that's lame dude".

That's not to say there aren't things I like about the game. The soundtrack so far is AMAZING! For some reason I expected Sakimoto to phone in a soundtrack and reuse like 75% of the original OST, but the majority of the tracks I have heard are original and they are very, very good. I also LOVE the new class system. Having two sub classes per class makes for a ton more options in battle and the school's map structure is laid out nicely and the menus look great.

I also like how they removed universal healing and made it an engineer function. The multiple maps per battle is also an interesting addition. The gameplay changes are great and the actual battles are just as fun as the original. I really hope the game enters awesome territory by the end of the game because right now I find myself pretty unmotivated to launch my PSP, especially after coming off of Ys 7, which blew me out my window as soon as I turned it on.

tenton

Galactic Fork said:
Edit: Did they get rid of S rank in this one like they did in the US version of VC1?

Yes, highest rank is definitely A (I have 1 turned a map somewhere, so that's the best grade. :p )

finally beat the august mission. for the longest time I thought I only had to defeat the boss but ya gotta kill everyone :lol, still a frustrating task. can't wait to see how people approach that once they get there. all I gotta say is tank ftmfw :D

duckroll

After a few hours with the game, here are some thoughts:

- Story is really really generic animu bad. So many terrible tropes here used in such predictable (and bad) ways. It's so bad it's actually good because I stopped thinking about it and just started laughing along.

- Yup, this is definitely a modern Japanese PSP game. Lots more customization, lots more shit to grind for, lots of loot mechanics added, lots of filler missions, overall quality control and polish being traded in for longer playtime and more optional content.

- Major story missions and some of the filler missions still have very good design. The VC gameplay is still unique and awesome, it's just that it feels less consistent and more grindy now compared to the original.

- Loving the big improvements and new elements they added to the game. Faster enemy turns are great, re-balancing the classes means you are more likely to use non-Scout classes (even though they're still very strong), the ton of new vehicle customization options changes the game completely especially with the APC, really good stuff.

- Multiplayer is actually really, really fun. It's pretty broken, but I played with 2 friends over Adhoc Party so far, and it's pretty solid entertainment. Make sure you have voice chat too if you plan on using this, since it really helps enhance the planning significantly. It really feels like a mix of SRPG and RTS in MP mode.

I was so ready to pick this up at K-Mart tomorrow for $25, but my K-Mart never got any copies in! agghhh, I'm gonna check back in the morning just in case, but even the game store I work for hasn't received its copies yet. ugghhh.

I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS. :(

i was kindy shaky of the story at first too but where I'm at now and I'm gonna say it's under appreciated. It's actually pretty enjoyable.

In February now. The last mission in January was fun even though I feel like they intentionally left out an explanation to beat it easily. Anyone that played the first game knows you can just
one hit kill tanks with a lancer from behind.

Other than that, not much to say. Story is tropey but enjoyable. Class G is actually starting to grow on me. I don't know why but I've always been a fan of the lazy/underachiever class with a bad reputation trope. It also feels like the secondary characters matter a lot more than the ones in the first game.

duckroll said:
After a few hours with the game, here are some thoughts:

- Story is really really generic animu bad. So many terrible tropes here used in such predictable (and bad) ways. It's so bad it's actually good because I stopped thinking about it and just started laughing along.

- Yup, this is definitely a modern Japanese PSP game. Lots more customization, lots more shit to grind for, lots of loot mechanics added, lots of filler missions, overall quality control and polish being traded in for longer playtime and more optional content.

- Major story missions and some of the filler missions still have very good design. The VC gameplay is still unique and awesome, it's just that it feels less consistent and more grindy now compared to the original.

- Loving the big improvements and new elements they added to the game. Faster enemy turns are great, re-balancing the classes means you are more likely to use non-Scout classes (even though they're still very strong), the ton of new vehicle customization options changes the game completely especially with the APC, really good stuff.

- Multiplayer is actually really, really fun. It's pretty broken, but I played with 2 friends over Adhoc Party so far, and it's pretty solid entertainment. Make sure you have voice chat too if you plan on using this, since it really helps enhance the planning significantly. It really feels like a mix of SRPG and RTS in MP mode.

Agree with that. I've never been a fan of lots of empty or repetitive filler content (drove me nuts in Resonance of Fate).

Really enjoying the extra customization because I've always been a fan of tinkering and optimizing setups.

Not surprised by the low stock being reported.

SlickVic

drtomoe123 said:
I was so ready to pick this up at K-Mart tomorrow for $25, but my K-Mart never got any copies in! agghhh, I'm gonna check back in the morning just in case, but even the game store I work for hasn't received its copies yet. ugghhh.

Reading through the CAG thread it seems Kmart stores were lucky to even get 2 copies in. Probably not going to stop me from taking the 25 minute drive to check my local Kmart, but can't say I'll be shocked if it's not there.

Hcoregamer00

Got my copy today, put 4 hours into the game.

Here are my thoughts:

Supporting Cast: Awesome and very likable, but that is a given since it is one of the Franchise's strong points. I only played the game for a short while, and I do have a list of favorites so far (Zeri, Lavinia, Anisette, Marion, and Randy).

Main Character: Idiot, stupid, bro-con, least likable character so far (I hate him even more than the Class A sneering princess). At least Welkin from Valkyria 1 was extremely likable and easy to relate to.

Music: Freaking amazing, the soundtrack is great. I would hesitate to say it matches the quality of the first game, but I need to experience more of the game first.

Character Art: At first it was disconcerting, but it grew on me quite a bit. I do wish there were more anime cutscenes and more sprite animation to show it off.

Gameplay: Valkyria is king, VCII proves it. It is deeper and even more fun the second time around.

Im about 6 hours in, and the mission variety is getting to me. Ive played only 2 different level scenario's. Though i think i'm about to play a new one, judging by the cut scene i just watched. Besides that, im loving the game. Allot of the menu stuff seems to be stream lined, and fast. Even pressing start to end your turn is a nice touch. Weapons and characters all seem to be more accurate and more consistent from the first game.

Overall i'm pretty happy to have this game as a little filler, while we wait for the next console release. I like the idea of having a side story, that doesn't take itself serous within this universe.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 was the first RPG i played since FF7 back in 1997. So this series holds a special place in my heart. :D

Ponn

Banned
It made it sound like you got some type of bonuses for giving yourself specific combinations of titles. Is that true? And if so has anyone come up with any?

Phenomic

drtomoe123 said:

Pretty much same boat here, Valkyria 1 is still my favorite RPG this generation and I'm dying to get my hands on it. I've got a coupon at Kmart also and I feel like an idiot paying 40 for it when I could get it on the cheap because I bought another game there within the last month. Not sure if they sold out or just never put them out or never got them in. They did have a very limited amount each store was getting so who knows what happened. Going to wait a few days and if not I'm just going to end up caving and getting it somewhere else.

AleeN634

Just made it to April. Is it me or is it weird that for all that intensive drilling and classes they haven't really properly trained you to use
Lancers and Armored Techs too well. As cosmicblizzard brought up, the radiator weakness trick still hasn't come up where I am

Does anyone know if I can only use the Construction Tool with the tank/apc or can one of the classes eventually learn to build things?

Hcoregamer00

Giolon said:
Thoughts on the storyline? (so far)

It is pretty terrible, but Valkyria 1 had a pretty horrible storyline too. Thankfully the games have a more character-driven storyline and have a very good cast of likable characters. It reminds me of Grandia 1, which also had an equally bad storyline. The saving grace was that it wasn't a narrative-driven storyline, but a character-driven storyline.

Chip N Chance said:
Im about 6 hours in, and the mission variety is getting to me. Ive played only 2 different level scenario's. Though i think i'm about to play a new one, judging by the cut scene i just watched. Besides that, im loving the game. Allot of the menu stuff seems to be stream lined, and fast. Even pressing start to end your turn is a nice touch. Weapons and characters all seem to be more accurate and more consistent from the first game.

Overall i'm pretty happy to have this game as a little filler, while we wait for the next console release. I like the idea of having a side story, that doesn't take itself serous within this universe.

Valkyria Chronicles 1 was the first RPG i played since FF7 back in 1997. So this series holds a special place in my heart. :D

>_>

This game is a canon sequel, and there is no guarantee that a sequel will be on console. Sega could very well be prepping a Valkyria Chronicles 3 for the 3DS to build a userbase near the launch cycle.

duckroll

VC2 is a side story.
VC1 is a side story.

Both are minor footnotes in history with regards to the larger war in Europa. Gallia is just a small country no one gives a shit about! :lol

Hcoregamer00

duckroll said:
VC2 is a side story.
VC1 is a side story.

Both are minor footnotes in history with regards to the larger war in Europa. Gallia is just a small country no one gives a shit about! :lol

Very true :lol

When are we going to get the REAL story, the war between the Federation and the Empire? After all, Maximilian is just a minor prince and we really haven't seen the real movers and shakers of these two massive empires and Gallia is a small principality.

:p

Edit: Does anyone have any codes or saves to get some unlockables? :)

Bog

Junior Ace
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm hesitant to read too much of this thread. Anyway, I was about 2/3rds of the way through VC1 before my PS3 crapped out, but I'd like to finish it some day. Does VC2 spoil the story of VC1?

Hcoregamer00

Bog said:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm hesitant to read too much of this thread. Anyway, I was about 2/3rds of the way through VC1 before my PS3 crapped out, but I'd like to finish it some day. Does VC2 spoil the story of VC1?

Yes it does, it is a direct sequel so it spoils the game pretty heavily.

Still in July on my game so far, but put several hours into the character stories. Some I would consider cute, typical anime stories....others, just disturbing in their own way
I, of course, am referring to Nichol's interesting story
. Overall well worth it as many do reference people from the last game (and some are great for grinding as well...) =p

Giolon

Hcoregamer00 said:
Does anyone have any codes or saves to get some unlockables? :)
Codes are in the OP. a PSP2 save was posted a page or so back. You should have a vc1 save. :p

Got my copy at Kmart for $25; there was only one copy available.

Looking forward to playing this game. I just replayed Valkyria Chronicles, so its fresh in my memory!

daoster

Bog said:

Eh, it spoils one plot point from VC1, which I don't think is too big of a deal. There were certainly bigger spoilers from the first game that I haven't seen spoiled yet.

There are of course, references to events from the first game, but if you've played 2/3 of VC1, you'd probably get those references.

Easystride said:
Got my copy at Kmart for $25; there was only one copy available.

Looking forward to playing this game. I just replayed Valkyria Chronicles, so its fresh in my memory!
I went 0/2 this morning. No other Kmarts around me neither :/

Top Bottom