• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

SlickVic

Mejilan said:
Install 5.50 Gen-D3.
Install Prometheus CFW patch v4.
Profit.

Sweet. To think last week I had to ISO patch P3P since I thought that was the only way to get it working (though I don't mind since that game loads super fast off the memory stick). But now with VC2 and KH coming, I think it'll be easier just to run the games off UMD; kind of a hassle to keep switching game ISO's on my 2GB memory stick.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
TheChaos said:
Thanks! Now off to flash my PSP for like the billionth time.
Pretty sure that a Prometheus-patched Gen CFW ran the demo without issue. I downloaded the demo but did not play it yet. Still, the demo's pretty recent, so if it ran fine, I expect the full game will as well. Particularly since it would have gone gold weeks ago, probably before the demo even came out. My most recent PSP game purchase (Ys 7) runs great!

watatatow

Giolon said:
UGH this is everything I *didn't* wan't in my VC2 sequel: Let's compare boob sizes! Great job hitting those animu tropes, SEGA!
Hey, it could've been worse.

By your post, I thought it was gonna be one of those hot spring scenes where the girls discuss titties while grabbing one another's titties as the female lead's best friend asks her about about her possible romantic feelings towards the main character, unknowing that he can see and hear everything because he has found himself right there in the hot spring with them partly because of his pushy and outrageously perverted best friend's suggestions and partly because he is too much of a pussy to just say "no," so yeah the heroine could only say "I l..." before being cut off mid-sentence by the fuck-up of a main character doing something to get himself caught, earning the ire of the entire female cast and subsequently, the cartoonishly violent beatings.

Despera

Banned
watatatow said:

By your post, I thought it was gonna be one of those hot spring scenes where the girls discuss titties while grabbing one another's titties as the female lead's best friend asks her about about her possible romantic feelings towards the main character, unknowing that he can see and hear everything because he has found himself right there in the hot spring with them partly because of his pushy and outrageously perverted best friend's suggestions and partly because he is too much of a pussy to just say "no," so yeah the heroine could only say "I l..." before being cut off mid-sentence by the fuck-up of a main character doing something to get himself caught, earning the ire of the entire female cast and subsequently, the cartoonishly violent beatings.

dw5p8h.png

just read the ign review and it makes me want it even more! I gotta have this game in my hands NAO! D:

Still have Persona 3 to beat too >.<. o well, valkyria chronicles says fuk persona and play me! :O

Median

daoster said:
With this...can I use the PSN store???
PSNLover will let you download stuff off the store, but to my knowledge there isn't a way to play games you've bought off the store on CFW. I went through the same deal with Ys 7 and wasn't able to find a way to play it.

Stupid dumb IGN video review! I think they just spoiled something from the first game and it caught me off guard!

Arrrgh! I hate it when reviewers spoil things assuming we played the first game! *anger sneering emoticon*

The good thing is I kind of have no idea what they're talking about, but I still know something about the first game that won't surprise me anymore when I play through it.

Ugh...

Anyway, I'm still excited for tomorrow. But that review...

Giolon

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Stupid dumb IGN video review! I think they just spoiled something from the first game and it caught me off guard!

Arrrgh! I hate it when reviewers spoil things assuming we played the first game! *anger sneering emoticon*

The good thing is I kind of have no idea what they're talking about, but I still know something about the first game that won't surprise me anymore when I play through it.

Ugh...

Anyway, I'm still excited for tomorrow. But that review...

Sorry, bro. :( The IGN review has been marked spoilers in the OP. I thought I had earlier, but I only did in my update post. T.T I've fixed that.

On the plus side, if you were planning on playing VC2 before VC1 anyways, it's important to VC2's plotline and thus revealed there very early on.

Giolon said:
Sorry, bro. :( The IGN review has been marked spoilers in the OP. I thought I had earlier, but I only did in my update post. T.T I've fixed that.

On the plus side, if you were planning on playing VC2 before VC1 anyways, it's important to VC2's plotline and thus revealed there very early on.
No, it's my fault.

I should know by now to be more cautious. I know that I should always stay away from Gametrailer reviews but I guess I have to do that with all video reviews. :(

Mejilan said:
Pretty sure that a Prometheus-patched Gen CFW ran the demo without issue. I downloaded the demo but did not play it yet. Still, the demo's pretty recent, so if it ran fine, I expect the full game will as well. Particularly since it would have gone gold weeks ago, probably before the demo even came out. My most recent PSP game purchase (Ys 7) runs great!

Odd issue I am running into with this demo...on my Kratos PSP, I updated to Prometheus fine, got the demo, and played without issue (same with PSP2). Yet my other PSP 2000 I am trying to update for my brother cannot recognize the game, despite re downloading on the PS3...any ideas? Oh, and weirdly, I can get on PSN with his PSP....

Regardless, got the call and will be playing this game, one way or another...

May16

Edge magazine gives it a 6/10, though I don't have any quotes nor am I aware of their review scale meanings.

Cheech

Looking forward to this. I just hope I can find my PSP's component cable so I can pretend I'm playing on a console.

P.S. Screw you again, Sega.

May16 said:
Edge magazine gives it a 6/10, though I don't have any quotes nor am I aware of their review scale meanings.
Edge gave the original a relatively low score too - something like 7/10 I think... Anyway, I would take any Edge review of a game that isn't CTF (certified testoterone fueled) with a grain of salt... the average review scores seem to be more around 8 or 9 so far, but I guess we'll see...

I agree with the opinion that as long as the strategy/combat is left more-or-less the same, this will be a fantastic game no matter what they've done with the story/wrapper...

Sipowicz

Banned
6/10 is a good score from edge as it's above average. In contrast to shit magazines like gameinformer they use their full scale

edge reviewers are also very harsh and can be tempremental so i would see it as a postiive

watatatow said:

Love Hina.

oh yeah, any chance that this will have Japanese VA? or are we looking at Undub? I'm still going to buy the game to support the cause, but I like my Japanese VA. (let's not debate over it. To each their own, I'd say).

depward

On the fence with this. I can't do SRPGs. I just can't. But I want to support Sega. And I know this game truly won't get the amount of sales it deserves.

We'll see.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TSA said:
The Darcsens...it's how VC addresses the Holocaust in their alt history Europe. Sure, you can say it's amazing a game tackles that issue, but then you see how everyone is cheery and peppy at killing others in battle and the effect is sort of lost. Not knocking VC 1's story, I loved it, but it's not as "edgy" as I've heard some make it out to be, and it has it's fair share of flaws.

Your detector's broken. And no, the story isnt edgy at all. Its very light. But it seems VC II has lost all sense of seriousness or decent storytelling.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
radiantdreamer said:
Love Hina.

oh yeah, any chance that this will have Japanese VA? or are we looking at Undub? I'm still going to buy the game to support the cause, but I like my Japanese VA. (let's not debate over it. To each their own, I'd say).

I think it was confirmed that it is English only in the US.

Looking forward to trying this game even though I probably won't like the combat as much as the original VC. It's unfortunate they had to cut up the maps.. maybe they should have made it 2D instead to keep a large map style.

Giolon

radiantdreamer said:

English only due to disc size.

New Euro reviews added to OP. Thanks guys.

Giolon

This Freshmen Cadet Guide was found on SEGA's server this morning (warning, VC1 spoilers):

http://dl.sega.com/guide/valkyria-chronicles-2/valkyria-chronicles-2-freshman-cadet-guide-en.pdf

It contains info on all the classes and the Class G members plus 3 unlock codes, which don't match up to any of the known Japanese ones. No idea what they do since I don' t have my copy yet. Here are the codes:

CR6BG1A9LYQKB6WJ

VWUYNJQ8HGSVXR7J

6RK45S59F7U2JLTD

Will add to the OP later once it's confirmed what they do.

It also contains a list of all the DLC missions that are coming (22 different missions, including the two pre-order bonus missions) starting September 28.

Edit: Fixed last code.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Whoompthereitis said:
Preordered this. Just like Persona 3, this will be a game I buy on console then don't actually invest any serious time into until I rebuy on PSP.

I think I can only do RPGs on portables now...

Really? Honestly I think RPGs are much better on the large screen - no need to squint at a tiny screen or hold an un-ergonomic handheld for hours on end.

HK-47 said:
Your detector's broken. And no, the story isnt edgy at all. Its very light. But it seems VC II has lost all sense of seriousness or decent storytelling.

I said I was told it is edgy. I didn't think it was...

Giolon said:
This Freshmen Cadet Guide was found on SEGA's server this morning (warning, VC1 spoilers):

http://dl.sega.com/guide/valkyria-chronicles-2/valkyria-chronicles-2-freshman-cadet-guide-en.pdf

It contains info on all the classes and the Class G members plus 3 unlock codes, which don't match up to any of the known Japanese ones. No idea what they do since I don' t have my copy yet. Here are the codes:

CR6BG1A9LYQKB6WJ

VWUYNJQ8HGSVXR7J

6RK45S59F7V2JLTD

Will add to the OP later once it's confirmed what they do.

It also contains a list of all the DLC missions that are coming (22 different missions, including the two pre-order bonus missions) starting September 28.

First is Unlock Marina, Edy, Lynn, Jann, Homer, Susie.

Second is Unlock BLiTZ logo (for tank)

Third is Unlock SEGA Logo (for tank)

EDIT: You didn't write the third one correctly.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
TSA said:
I said I was told it is edgy. I didn't think it was...

Oh I was talking about 1. I got a little confused there. 2 seems much lighter and comedic than 1 was.

braves01

Banned
djtiesto said:
Really? Honestly I think RPGs are much better on the large screen - no need to squint at a tiny screen or hold an un-ergonomic handheld for hours on end.

True, but handhelds have sleep mode which makes taking breaks between save points much easier.

Ponn

Banned
djtiesto said:

Opposite for me. Ever since I was a kid playing RPG's on the tv always put me to sleep after about an hour. Just something that always happened, maybe the repetiveness of battles or something. I always had an easier time playing RPG's like Final Fantasy Legend on the gameboy and the RPG goodness of the PSP has been a blessing for me. Being able to play an RPG and watch a movie or TV at the same time helps me out.

Cancelled my preorder with amazon was going to try and get one from Kmart but seriously thinking of getting the PSN version now. I enjoy the less loading times of games of the stick.

squall211

I decided I'm going to buy it today instead of waiting for the K-Mart deal. I'll get it on PSN, then double-dip when the UMD is cheap.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
TSA said:
So there will be legit DLC you have to pay for, or is it just unlock codes?
Pretty sure that the code that came with my preorder is a unique PSN download code, and not a generic content unlock code.

Seems like there will be both types of codes, though.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
So far I'm really enjoying this game. I've put a fair amount of time into it and only have a few small gripes.

I'm not a huge fan of the some of the voices or characterizations... Lotte (the newspaper girl) says "dude" far too often.

Also, I don't know if I like this split battlefield thing. They're good sized, but the moving back and forth between areas EATS up your CP and inevitably you'll leave someone behind in a zone because you don't want to spare the CP to get them redeployed.

Lastly, they reuse the same battlefields quite a bit in this one. I think I've been fighting on the same 3 battlefields over and over again. The starting point is just different each time.

I don't want to seem too negative about this though, because the graphics are great and emulate the original's well enough, the music is phenomenal and it's more VC and who can complain about that (I never thought we'd get a sequel)?

There's also a couple great cameos. :)

Ikkarus

That cadet guide is awesome. Thanks for posting it up.

Glad to see there will be DLC for VC2. Just hope it's either free or doesn't cost a lot.

Top Bottom