• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Dumb question. I have CFW on my PSP. Do I need official firmware to play this game? I havent' played a psp game in forever, no idea. Wanted to pick up Ys too.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
commish said:
Dumb question. I have CFW on my PSP. Do I need official firmware to play this game? I havent' played a psp game in forever, no idea. Wanted to pick up Ys too.
If your CFW is up to date, Ys 7 plays fine. I'll be able to test this game in a few minutes. Up to date = 5.50 Gen-D3 + v4 of the Prometheus CFW patch.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Mejilan said:
If your CFW is up to date, Ys 7 plays fine. I'll be able to test this game in a few minutes. Up to date = 5.50 Gen-D3 + v4 of the Prometheus CFW patch.

It's nowhere near up to day - i haven't updated in forever. I guess I should look into updating...

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh My God that boob talk video.

I'm still not totally convinced they're talking about boobs, it could be arm span.

HEY! The game still isn't on PSN. What gives? It's today already, isn't?! Don't tell me it's still yesterday.

Giolon

Hamblasto said:
Anyone else not seeing VCII on the Gamestop code redemption page?
Ignore what the Gamestop receipt says. The code provided is a PSN Store code. Use it there.

PowerSmell said:
HEY! The game still isn't on PSN. What gives? It's today already, isn't?! Don't tell me it's still yesterday.
The store hasn't been updated yet today. It seems it's a little late.

Also, Joystiq's review has been added to the OP.

Mejilan

Alright. Game seems to work just fine off the UMD on my CFW PSP. Once I get home, I'll rip the game's ISO to my PC, transfer it to my MS, and try again. I'll also redeem the DLC code via my PS3 and try to transfer the pair of preorder bonus missions back to the PSP.

Loaded up the UMD, got the happy red screen flash signaling Prometheus' successful decryption, and created a new save file without issue. I then proceeded to play with some options such as text scroll speeds, volume sliders, camera control inversions, etc. After that I performed the optional data install (436MBs) that speeds up loads when playing from disc. With that done, I went on the redeem those three generic content unlock codes from Sega's Cadet Guide PDF discussed a page ago. Finally I started up a new file (normal difficulty), plowed through the initial cutscenes (all skippable), and finished the first mission. Which was stupidly easy, btw.

Happily, it seems like the look, feel, and most importantly, the gameplay, of the original were all successfully retained. The art style transferred over very nicely, though dithering is substantial.

All that's left is to rip and test the ISO, download the preorder DLC, and experiment with the content link feature. You can open up more locked content by having select Sega data files on your MS. Internet buzz suggests that VC1 and Phantasy Star Portable 2 save data are good places to start. As to the former, I didn't know that native PS3 (non-PSOne Classics and non-PSN Minis) data could be sent to the PSP. Regarding the latter, the US version of PSP2 isn't out yet, but I'll see if the demo data is compatible. I've already got a bunch of other Sega saves, but none were recognized by the game.

daoster

Mejilan said:
Alright. Game seems to work just fine off the UMD on my CFW PSP. Once I get home, I'll rip the game's ISO to my PC, transfer it to my MS, and try again. I'll also redeem the DLC code via my PS3 and try to transfer the pair of preorder bonus missions back to the PSP.

We can do this? Man, I haven't played PSP in sooo long.

EDIT: never mind that was like the easiest thing possible

Mejilan

Haha. Of course. ISO ripping is a feature built into CFWs for something like the past 3 years.

Spiegel

Apparently the game is up on the PSN (826mb)

I guess the excuse for not including japanese voices was bullshit.

Mejilan

I just finished ripping the ISO from the UMD, and it's just above a gig.
Can't remember if UMDs top out at 1.5 or 1.8, but I can't imagine that space was all that much of a barrier to dual language tracks.

Are the preorder missions worth it at all? My gamestop screwed me over and dont have the game today despite all other stores in the area having it, so I could just go pick it up but I'd be missing out on the bonus.

Do the preorder missions actually give out anything? Character unlocks, weapons, items, etc? Or are they just fluff

May16

CaptYamato said:
Best Buy didn't have it stock. I'm sure the salesperson was just a lazy ass though.
Today is jus tte SHIP date. Not *all* places will have it on hand. Tomorrow will be different/

mjc

Got my reserve copy from Gamestop...but someone working there decided to gut it as it was their only copy that they got in.

:/ :/ :/

To top it off I don't see the DLC code on my receipt. The fuck?

I really, really want this game, but I think I'm going to wait until K-Mart has their deal next week.

I'm still miffed that the game is on the PSP instead of the PS3, as the first game is one of the best experiences I've had on a home console in a long time, but I'm still excited about the game.

Volcynika

mjc said:
Got my reserve copy from Gamestop...but someone working there decided to gut it as it was their only copy that they got in.

Yeah I don't see one on my receipt either....

Seda

Got my copy! Probably won't get to play it for a while though.

My Gamestop clerk actually had just received the shipment when I arrived, they had a case of 12 or so copies it seemed.

Mejilan

BlazingDarkness said:
Is there an install on the PSN version? I'm tempted to get it but my i only have 1GB memory in my PSP

Pretty sure PSN versions are just straight up ISO dumps, for the most part.
So yes. Not too sure if there's any point in a data install if playing from the memory stick.
For some games (such as Peace Walker), you should, but for other games, it's just a waste of space.

Volcynika

mjc said:

Hey, call your store. I just called and he said he could read it over the phone or I could go pick up the receipt with it. Apparently whoever scanned it should've hit something else to put that code on your receipt. He read it out to me and I entered it just fine.

Pangya

Mejilan said:
So yes. Not too sure if there's any point in a data install if playing from the memory stick.
For some games (such as Peace Walker), you should, but for other games, it's just a waste of space.

I know there's a point for Data Install for Monster Hunter Freedom Unite. Not too sure about recent games, I just Data Install anyway :3

daoster

Anybody's PSP freezing up before the anime scenes? I'm playing using an ISO. When I was playing with the UMD earlier, I had no problems with the cutscenes...

Using 5.50 GEN-D3 with the Prometheus thing

My copy's coming down from PSN now... and it's slow as shit!! :lol

Maybe that's a good sign? Maybe lots of people are buying this game off PSN Day 1?!

Can't wait to boot it up and try those unlock codes...

Lain

Spiegel said:
Apparently the game is up on the PSN (826mb)

I guess the excuse for not including japanese voices was bullshit.

Mejilan said:
I just finished ripping the ISO from the UMD, and it's just above a gig.
Can't remember if UMDs top out at 1.5 or 1.8, but I can't imagine that space was all that much of a barrier to dual language tracks.

SEGA lies once again? I'm shocked!

Man, I hate everyone of you with a copy of the game.
(New thread title sucks, btw)

DeVeAn

Damnit I want this bad, I just got the DR2 arcade game, DQ9 and started playing Persona on psp. Other M is coming from amazon tomorrow. Fuck major drought then BAM.

(New thread title sucks, btw)+1

So I picked it up today as well. I almost walked out of the store without my code but thankfully I checked my receipt before I left. So now I have the 12 digit code, is it just entered in the redeem code on the PSN?

Volcynika

Xeno_Flux2113 said:
So I picked it up today as well. I almost walked out of the store without my code but thankfully I checked my receipt before I left. So now I have the 12 digit code, is it just entered in the redeem code on the PSN?

Correct

Mejilan

US manual is b/w as is typical of Sega.
No problems running the game as an ISO.
Had no issues with getting the DLC missions via the PS3.
Unsurprisingly, PSP2 do save data does not unlock anything.
I did transfer over my VC1 save, and had Isara Gunther unlock, along with the Isara's Dream sticker.

daoster

Mejilan said:
US manual is b/w as is typical of Sega.
No problems running the game as an ISO.
Had no issues with getting the DLC missions via the PS3.
Unsurprisingly, PSP2 do save data does not unlock anything.
I did transfer over my VC1 save, and had Isara Gunther unlock, along with the Isara's Dream sticker.

Hmm, maybe its just my PSP. The cutscenes never start until I sleep it and wake it up, and for awhile, the same "grunt" was being used for all the characters, so it was kinda annoying...

Giolon

GameTrailers video review is out: 8.4 / 10

HOLY FUCKING VC2 Spoilers, Batman! There was a giant spoiler about 45 seconds into it. I should have known better. It is GT after all.

Aside from that, it was a very well-done review, IMO.

Mejilan said:
Thanks, Peace Walker was the last game i played on the PSP so that's why the data install thing came to mind.

Mejilan

daoster said:
Hmm, maybe its just my PSP. The cutscenes never start until I sleep it and wake it up, and for awhile, the same "grunt" was being used for all the characters, so it was kinda annoying...
Just replayed the opening scenes and first mission as an ISO, for shits and giggles. No problems. Didn't skip cutscenes this time, obviously.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Lain said:
SEGA lies once again? I'm shocked!

Man, I hate everyone of you with a copy of the game.
(New thread title sucks, btw)
Bah, thread title is awesome and so was the line in the Edge review of how VC didn't have to go back to school since it was already qualified.

Couldn't find a copy in any of the stores I hit up on my way home after work, but I suspect that most stores won't be carrying this until tomorrow in the Great White North.

Top Bottom