• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles II |OT| Grind to get school credits which won't get anyone a job!

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Did the art get worse or is it just me?

Sadly, everything I've seen on this title says terrible. After one of my favorite games of this entire gen... /sigh :(

Giolon

lsslave said:

Sadly, everything I've seen on this title says terrible. After one of my favorite games of this entire gen... /sigh :(

Did you even try the demo?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Giolon said:
Awww, some mod drive-by murdered the tagline. Couldn't you have just left it at "BUY IT!"? :(

In any case, the tagline was half a joke. Some of you guys take things way too seriously...sheesh.
We did try to warn you. The title change was warranted. :p

scotcheggz

I played this in Japanese and will probably double dip when it comes out in pal land. Thought the story and setting wasn't as good as the first, but not bad at all, the gameplay was just as excellent. Well worth your money.

lsslave said:

Gameplay is said to be a significant step up from the first one, so if you liked VC1...

I am a HUGE VC1 fan. I have nearly 70 hours on the original. I am totally picking this game up next week, but I have small reservations. I know the gameplay is in tact and updated and everything and I am sure the soundtrack is going to be awesome, but I am still not a fan of the "persona"-like school setting. The first one had such charming characters and the story was heart warming and epic. I am not getting those same vibes whatsoever from VC2. I hope to be surprised, but I doubt this game will capture the same emotions that the original pulled off.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
...my backlog hates y'all.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Kingdom Hearts is coming out soon. I guess this game gives me an excuse to skip on that.

Volcynika

Regulus Tera said:
...my backlog hates y'all.

sbslud.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pureauthor said:
Gameplay is said to be a significant step up from the first one, so if you liked VC1...
Really? I read mixed impressions, considering some thought the gameplay wasn't strong enough to stand on its own if you don't care for the change in story/characters/tone but liked the original game.

So confused. :(

daoster

Re: The Story for Valkyria Chronicles 1 v 2.

While I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles story...it really seemed to me like a cliched anime story...

Valkyria Chronicles 2 seems to just be taking on a different anime cliche, I don't know why people are complaining so much. I have no problems with this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the story all the same.

Giolon

Today's Community BLiTZ update is up! Recapped in post #5 of this thread or head stread to the SEGA Blog. Warning there are some VC1 spoilers again today.

I'm glad this update touched on the subject of
Alicia and Welkin
and how this game seemingly contradicts the epilogue of VC1. What's said is coming from the CM, so I'm not 100% sure of its canonicity (is that a word?), but it's the logical assumption I'd made.

Bebpo

Banned
daoster said:
Re: The Story for Valkyria Chronicles 1 v 2.

While I enjoyed Valkyria Chronicles story...it really seemed to me like a cliched anime story...

Valkyria Chronicles 2 seems to just be taking on a different anime cliche, I don't know why people are complaining so much. I have no problems with this, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the story all the same.

Yeah, the story/characters was the worst part of VC1. It was a good game for the unique take on strategy rpg gameplay + great art + great music. If VC2 is better gameplay + better music + slightly less great art then it should be a much better game. Trading one set of anime stereotypes for another isn't really a big deal.

Giolon

Bebpo said:
Yeah, the story/characters was the worst part of VC1. It was a good game for the unique take on strategy rpg gameplay + great art + great music. If VC2 is better gameplay + better music + slightly less great art then it should be a much better game. Trading one set of anime stereotypes for another isn't really a big deal.
Disagreed 100%. I think that for the most part VC1 did a fantastic job pushing its characters beyond the stereotypes that they appeared to be. It may not have been 100% original, but I feel that they did a very good job keeping much of the zany anime antics dreck, that appears to have crept into the sequel, out of it and managed to put up a realistic take on war - even in universe where women with boobs the size of watermelons tote around tank destroying laser lances the size of a telephone pole.

You don't have to have a completely original story or premise to be enjoyable if you do it well. The gameplay I enjoyed for sure, but it was the great cast of characters and the storytelling that kept me coming back every day and staying up until the wee hours of the morning to see it through.

KongRudi

Banned
I doubt that the lack of mid-mission saving will pose as big of a problem as many of you guys are making it out to be.

There are both 'easy' and 'normal' difficulty mode now...

So if you're one of the people who got stuck on level 7, or like me - got stuck somewhere in chapter 14-15, and felt there were nothing you could do to get further, easy-mode are probably our new gamemode.

In addition, it also do got multiplayer co-op, wich will help you through the story-arc.
If your friends do not own the game, making ad-hoc mode unavailable; you might be able to have someone help you onwards in the story, by logging into your game with Ad-hoc party.
They will use their own crew in your level, and will be able to help you out.

Listen to the podcast I linked to earlier in the thread for more info.

Finaika

Giolon said:
Disagreed 100%. I think that for the most part VC1 did a fantastic job pushing its characters beyond the stereotypes that they appeared to be. It may not have been 100% original, but I feel that they did a very good job keeping much of the zany anime antics dreck, that appears to have crept into the sequel, out of it and managed to put up a realistic take on war - even in universe where women with boobs the size of watermelons tote around tank destroying laser lances the size of a telephone pole.

You don't have to have a completely original story or premise to be enjoyable if you do it well. The gameplay I enjoyed for sure, but it was the great cast of characters and the storytelling that kept me coming back every day and staying up until the wee hours of the morning to see it through.
I felt the same way of Valkyria Chronicles characters with the cast of Skies of Arcadia; they may be cliched anime stereotypes, but they are charming & likable.

Giolon said:
Have we played the same game?
The syrupy melodrama was so thick you couldn't butter on bread.
"Oh welkin, you're so obsessed with bugs."
"hey guys lets all have a beach party!"
"If you like music WHY ARE YOU RACIST?!"

Ricker

You can save anywhere on the PSP anyway,just do the quick shutdown and the game pauses right there,until you turn it back on(or does this not work with UMD anymore?..can`t remember...)

Prime crotch said:
Have we played the same game?
The syrupy melodrama was so thick you couldn't butter on bread.
"Oh welkin, you're so obsessed with bugs."
"hey guys lets all have a beach party!"
"If you like music WHY ARE YOU RACIST?!"

So true. :lol

The game was great but the story was weak and didn't get beyond the embarrassing drama-mediocrity of most media that is aimed at the shounen demographic. The anime illustrated that even better.

May16

Ricker said:
You can save anywhere on the PSP anyway,just do the quick shutdown and the game pauses right there,until you turn it back on(or does this not work with UMD anymore?..can`t remember...)
That's...not saving, that's sleep mode.

That doesn't help anything in my hypothetical above.

Edit - I'll repost said hypothetical since it will be back on page 3 for most people:
"Crap, I'm playing this portable game on the train I take to work and the PSP's notoriously weak battery's gonna die...might not make it through the 8-hour work day on sleep mode...awww craaaap, and this battle was going so well >_<"

It also doesn't save you if you want to take a time out from the game to use any of the PSP's other functions. I use public transportation to get to work almost every day, and most of the time, the PSP would nicely cross-function as a music player or video viewer (sometimes an internet browser if you're on the right shinkansen).

And no, the answer isn't to haul around more gadgets to do the other things. I have one that does all of them, and I like to be able to take advantage of the things I paid for. A game shouldn't be excused for lacking something simply because I can buy another device that does that same thing.

At LEAST a temporary save file that erases itself when you load would have been fine.
Lack of mid-game saving in any form is a failure.

May16

anddo0 said:
The PSP GO has the pause feature. I think that will be very useful.
That's cool. I already have a PSP 1000 and a PSP 3000 and don't feel like buying a third PSP.

Plus the PSPGo can't play Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, an excellent game. Oops.

That's a handy feature for the PSP GO, and good for you're one of the 8 people who has one, cool.

That does not excuse the game in any way, however. Sorry.

Ricker

May16 said:
That's...not saving, that's sleep mode.

That doesn't help anything in my hypothetical above.

Edit - I'll repost said hypothetical since it will be back on page 3 for most people:

It also doesn't save you if you want to take a time out from the game to use any of the PSP's other functions. I use public transportation to get to work almost every day, and most of the time, the PSP would nicely cross-function as a music player or video viewer (sometimes an internet browser if you're on the right shinkansen).

And no, the answer isn't to haul around more gadgets to do the other things. I have one that does all of them, and I like to be able to take advantage of the things I paid for. A game shouldn't be excused for lacking something simply because I can buy another device that does that same thing.

At LEAST a temporary save file that erases itself when you load would have been fine.
Lack of mid-game saving in any form is a failure.

True,I understand,also forgot that sleep mode drains the battery a little anyway...

Great OT! Thanks!!

I'm grabbing this day 1 off PSN, but I might not get to it for a while... The hype for this game finally got me playing Valkyria Chronicles and I'm only about halfway through that... I bought VC based on gaf rec before I even owned a PS3, but I haven't been able to get the kids off the PS3 long enough to play anything more than about halfway through MGS4 until recently. :lol VC's an awesome game though, so I'm putting lots of time into it while dodging spoilers in the related threads and hope to have it done in about a week. This sequel sounds like it will fit my lifestyle better, though - I love long games (put 130 hours into Peace Walker) but do almost all my gaming on the PSP...

flyover

I almost never get consoles at launch. I always wait until there's a game I have to have. Looks like I finally have to buy a PSP.

Oh, and excellent OP.

Nekobo

Oh snap, pre-ordering today. What a great year for the PSP. Too bad people aren't actually buying all these great games. Between Peace Walker, P3P, Ys Seven, and VC2 (with KH and Phantasy Star Portable 2 next freaking month), I'll probably spend more time with my PSP than any other platform this year.

Aeana

Bebpo said:
But VC1 has a girl that can cook. That's, like, totally going against the grain.

Bebpo said:

Really!? The characters in VC were packed with so much charm and the main characters were extremely likable. You must value things differently, I guess. I mean, there were a couple scenes that sent chills down my spine and the ending+credits/character wrap up left you with such a positive, good feeling. To me, VC captures the CLASSIC strategy RPG elements. There are character deaths, betrayal, relationships, political intrigue, etc. and they handle it so perfectly. I don't think the original VC went overboard with the anime stereotypes at all. Sure, they are present, but the themes are handled maturely and the game takes itself very seriously from beginning to end.

There are anime-style games, and then there are obnoxious anime style games, like Mana Khemia, Trinity Universe, Ar Tonelico, etc. I am not saying those games are terrible or anything, I just think they can be borderline annoying, at times.

Ponn

Banned
This finally showed up in my gold box. Preordered from amazon for $36. Really wanted the DLC from gamestop but I have credit at amazon plus no tax.

Anyone getting this from Gamestop willing to trade their code for an Alan Wake signal code? I know, longshot but you never know.

Giolon

Ponn01 said:
This finally showed up in my gold box. Preordered from amazon for $36. Really wanted the DLC from gamestop but I have credit at amazon plus no tax.

That's lucky! I think I'm going to end up with two copies of the game. The digital download from PSN b/c I love having my games always available on my PSP and the far lower battery usage that comes from not having to run the UMD drive, and a physical copy from Gamestop both for the bonus DLC missions and b/c I like having a physical box and manual to look at.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Aeana said:
But VC1 has a girl that can cook. That's, like, totally going against the grain.

I heard it had racism commentary in it. I bet a series like Tales could learn a thing or two about such a theme.

RubyEclipse

Sega of America
Anyone who won a code in the previous BLiTZ thread should have a PM in their inbox - just respond back and let me know which DLC pack you would like. If I missed anyone, drop me a line and I'll take care of it.

About supporting the series - I'd say don't buy if you don't think it looks good. Buy it only if you think it looks fun, if you're excited about it, and if you like the unique hybrid gameplay that Valkyria Chronicles is built upon.

The length of missions isn't normally too long, especially compared to VC1, so I've not had many issues with the battery running out yet. (I was able to use sleep mode when it did.) My only tip is to make sure you have enough time left on your battery before jumping in to the key story missions, which are clearly flagged, as these tend to be the longest battles and can be pretty challenging later on in the game.

Giolon

Community BLiTZ Day 9 is up! Today's update focuses on how the environment affects you in battle. Check it out in Post #5 for the highlights or head straight to the SEGA Blog for all the nitty gritty.

Suzuki Yu

Gazel Ministry said:
Really!? The characters in VC were packed with so much charm and the main characters were extremely likable. You must value things differently, I guess. I mean, there were a couple scenes that sent chills down my spine and the ending+credits/character wrap up left you with such a positive, good feeling. To me, VC captures the CLASSIC strategy RPG elements. There are character deaths, betrayal, relationships, political intrigue, etc. and they handle it so perfectly. I don't think the original VC went overboard with the anime stereotypes at all. Sure, they are present, but the themes are handled maturely and the game takes itself very seriously from beginning to end.

There are anime-style games, and then there are obnoxious anime style games, like Mana Khemia, Trinity Universe, Ar Tonelico, etc. I am not saying those games are terrible or anything, I just think they can be borderline annoying, at times.

+1

tim.mbp

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I'm definitely getting it but why does it have to be $39.99! *cry*

Same day as Metroid Other M too, which will be a lot of money out of my wallet! :(

There's a good chance of a deal happening soon at Kmart. The KmartGamer thread at CAG says $15 off on 9/5. Other M has a $20 off deal too.

HK-47 said:
I heard it had racism commentary in it. I bet a series like Tales could learn a thing or two about such a theme.

The Darcsens...it's how VC addresses the Holocaust in their alt history Europe. Sure, you can say it's amazing a game tackles that issue, but then you see how everyone is cheery and peppy at killing others in battle and the effect is sort of lost. Not knocking VC 1's story, I loved it, but it's not as "edgy" as I've heard some make it out to be, and it has it's fair share of flaws.

SlickVic

tim.mbp said:
There's a good chance of a deal happening soon at Kmart. The KmartGamer thread at CAG says $15 off on 9/5. Other M has a $20 off deal too.

Yep, that deal is 100% confirmed. VC2 for $25 (+tax) the week of 9/5 @ Kmart. Fantastic deal.

Top Bottom