• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Shiina

VC_Jann1.png

I'm ready

Begaria

Having just finished Valkyria Chronicles 3, I've forgotten just how GOOD VC1 looks in full form compared to a paired down version for handhelds.

Seanspeed

Banned
Oh, and if you want to improve your image quality further by means of downsampling, or want to be able to toggle the in-game HUD and take HUDless screenshots, note that the latest version of GeDoSaTo includes a profile for the game

Cool. :)

KiraFA37

Great OT for a great game that I haven't finished yet. Can't believe I have to wait till wednesday to play this due to workload. Nice to hear that it performs well on lesser machines, 1080p@60FPS on a 650m seems due able.

Kumubou

It's still surreal seeing this game on PC after all this time. I haven't played this game in so long I'm looking forward to playing through it again (and the DLC, which I never got).

Alicia's delicious bread in 1080p 60fps ;__; I MUST HAVE IT
Only 1080p60fps? :x It sounds like given how well optimized the port is, you could probably hit 2kx120fps on a decent rig. Bake that bread with all the Ps!

The most amazing takeaway from Durante's PC Gamer article is the knowledge that my ULTRABOOK can probably run the game fine at 720p. That's crazy.

Pre-Loaded and gifted to 3 friends, I'm ready!

Also, great to see my worries about the canvas and shadows be unfounded. Game looks fucking sharp!

How anime is this game? I tried to play 2 on the psp and I just couldn't do it, which sucks though, because I thought the pseudo RTS/TPS thing with different classes was awesome.

Durante

The most amazing takeaway from Durante's PC Gamer article is the knowledge that my ULTRABOOK can probably run the game fine at 720p. That's crazy.
Yeah, if you have a Haswell Ultrabook it will almost certainly run well, considering that even my lowly Ivy Bridge based one was playable.

Kumubou

How anime is this game? I tried to play 2 on the psp and I just couldn't do it, which sucks though, because I thought the pseudo RTS/TPS thing with different classes was awesome.
It's still pretty anime, but it handles the tropes way better than the second game does. If that put you off about 2 (and I can see how it could), I would still give the original a look.

Shantom

Just played this for the first time on PS3 this year, so I won't be joining straight in on PC but I've gifted it to a friend, so hopefully he enjoys it.

Nzyme32

Thanks Durante! It's nice to have some quality bed time reading. Also very late thanks to the GAF opinion from long ago. Thanks SEGA, and thanks to Grief.exe and the rest of the SEGA Ports folk for getting me interested and pushing for this.

Now. Very happy to hear about the port quality and features. Just need some of that sweet preload to finish ready for tomorrow!!

Thanks Gaben/Valve if you secretly did something and also plan to get Vanquish on Steam too :p

Korten

Banned
Wonder if I can get this to run at 120 fps...

Anyway why SEGA... Why can't we play this tonight? Don't release it at 12 PM EST. Q.Q

Dr Dogg

Shadow maps scalling with resolution is really nice.

Yeah I just got to that part. That's exactly the same specs as my Surface Pro or a Mac Book Air from 2012. To have VC on the move makes it all the more exciting for me.

Mesoian

It's not nearly as anime as 2. It does have it's moments and it does wallow in it's tropes, but the narrative is so much more interesting than 2's simply because it takes things seriously instead of laughing off dire situation.

Both VC2 and the VC1 anime wash away a lot of the direness of their respective situations by reveling in anime tropes. It's a real bummer.

Durante

Oh, and if you want to improve your image quality further by means of downsampling, or want to be able to toggle the in-game HUD and take HUDless screenshots, note that the latest version of GeDoSaTo includes a profile for the game

Cool. :)
If anyone paid a lot of attention to the GeDoSaTo github page they could have had that spoiled for them:
https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/commit/021767850e83303f6cac5e78c347688a14cdbfc1

Note that this is also related. If I have the time I want to do a short writeup on my blog about how the game renders, it's pretty wild.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice OP and PC Gamer article :)

Can you help us understand why you were using 4480x2520 res in that article? Are there particular multiples of your native res that work well with down sampling? I have a 1080p monitor and a GTX970 so am curious to play with their new downsampling support.

Should I be able to hit solid 60fps on this with my 750ti downsampling from 4k, or ought I stick to 1080p native? CPU is an FX6300, in case that happens to make a bit of a difference.

Durante

Can you help us understand why you were using 4480x2520 res in that article?
It's the largest "neat" multiple of my native resolution (2560x1440) which still allowed me to maintain a constant 60 FPS (outside of fullscreen explosions) on my 770. 5280x2880 was a bit too much, dropping into the 50s.

Should I be able to hit solid 60fps on this with my 750ti downsampling from 4k, or ought I stick to 1080p native? CPU is an FX6300, in case that happens to make a bit of a difference.
I'd try 2560x1440.

Saving the game is so rapid that at first I thought it wasn’t working correctly
lol, Great article Durante.

This is gonna be the hypest~. Great screenshots, mostly excellent interface, and it's doing quite well sales-wise (given that Steam's Top Sellers is based on revenue, not quantities sold...and this is counting the triple-A games).

Dr Dogg

Actually seeing as you've had a decent dig through this how do all the filtering layers stack? There's several going on at once and the way the sketched shadows work always amazed me. I guess that might be something you kight write about at length at a later time.

Top Bottom