• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Seik

Banned
Good to hear this is a good port, especially since info comes from Durante.

Will buy for sure, I choked the PS3 version at the tank part but this time I'll do it. :D

Grief.exe

However, a more in-depth study of the game’s rendering process reveal that everything scales with resolution (which makes sense)—e.g. shadow maps are rendered at 1280x1280 if you play at 1280p, while they use a full 4480x4480 with the resolution I play at. This works out beautifully in practice, with the quality of all effects increasing with increased rendering resolution.

That is very interesting, so the port is perfectly future-proofed. You rarely see a publisher have that mentality, let alone from a Japanese PC port. Looking at you here Platinum...

Very impressive. Also a very impressive article.

We've dethroned CSGO now.

112dbce579.jpg

Durante Seal of Approval in action?

Giolon

Such a great day for PC and VC fans. Now if only we could get VC3 translated and moved over to the PS3/PC engine.

Philippo

Wow, it seems like an eternity since the last time i played it.
Everyone is in for a great ride
after the first chapters

Zafir

Great news about the port. Sega went above and beyond what I was expecting.
Such a great day for PC and VC fans. Now if only we could get VC3 translated and moved over to the PS3/PC engine.
Well, if you don't mind a translation patch it is already translated. I was playing a bit using a psp emulator earlier in the year.

Durante

That is very interesting, so the port is perfectly future-proofed. You rarely see a publisher have that mentality, let alone from a Japanese PC port. Looking at you here Platinum...

Not to take anything away from them (I do think the port is really good!), I believe a major reason why it's handled that way is because it probably was like that already in the console version. The game is almost like a (what I imagine) PS2 title in some ways with the way it creatively re-uses buffers. For example: the game's main rendering is done on the same NxN buffer used for the shadowmap! (Just the top 16:9 part of it)

Durante

By the way, I think I made it clear in the OP and article, but I really should reinforce this: the pre-rendered PS3 in-engine FMV looks like crap when you are running the rest of the game at 4k+ :(

I'm happy that later in the game many cutscenes are the "talking head" style, those translate much better to high res.

I still can't believe we're one day away from the launch of a Valkyria Chronicles PC port. I gotta hop on this train so I can murder some imps at downsampled 4k with Jane again.

Corto

Note that the reason I was able to write that article (and take all those screenshots in time for this thread!) is because this guy here forwarded me to the right people during his vacation:

Lol.

I saw you playing this yesterday but resisted to pester asking you if it was a good port or not for fear of having my hopes crushed hehehe

Falk

that puzzling face
By the way, I think I made it clear in the OP and article, but I really should reinforce this: the pre-rendered PS3 in-engine FMV looks like crap when you are running the rest of the game at 4k+ :(

Well, that's nothing a few hundred hours with Source Filmmaker can't fix.

someone's crazy enough to try. Right?

Dunbar

If I just built a new PC, is it worth trying to figure out all this downsampling stuff to play the game, or will it look basically as good if I just run it at 1080p or whatever?

Ultimadrago

For fellow VC1 vets out there, (Character spoilers!) which characters are you looking forward to putting on your team again? Will you be using different people this time to spice things up?

I'll likely keep my same favorites as before with only 2-3 switch ups:

My V.I.P.s (featuring many more females than I remembered):
Alicia Melchiott, Marina Wulfstan, Vyse Inglebard, Crazy Jane Turner, Catherine O'Hara and Rosie

There are obviously a few other choices I made for certain positions (like
Nadine and Jann Walker
, but the soldiers previously listed are the characters that truly had me in the Commander's chair barking orders and pleading for accuracy/success. I had a connection with these peeps and love 'em.

These are just names of largely optional teammates, so I don't really consider it "*gasp* spoilers" territory, but I tagged them anyways.

Adnor

Banned
Sorry for asking this again, but Durante, does the game have mouse acceleration? Binary Domain also only had a mouse sensitivity option and it didn't matter how much I tried, I couldn't make the mouse control comfortable :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For fellow VC1 vets out there, (Character spoilers!) which characters are you looking forward to putting on your team again? Will you be using different people this time to spice things up?

I'll likely keep my same favorites as before with only 2-3 switch ups:

My V.I.P.s (featuring many more females than I remembered):
Alicia Melchiott, Marina Wulfstan, Vyse Inglebard, Crazy Jane Turner, Catherine O'Hara and Rosie

There are obviously a few other choices I made for certain positions (like
Nadine and Jann Walker
, but the soldiers previously listed are the characters that truly had me in the Commander's chair barking orders and pleading for accuracy/success. I had a connection with these peeps and love 'em.

These are just names of largely optional teammates, so I don't really consider it "*gasp* spoilers" territory, but I tagged them anyways.

What, no OP Scout strats?

yuraya

Great OT

Can't wait for tomorrow. Also there is a trailer on the store page now. Didn't see it before. Looked so good :D

Durante

For fellow VC1 vets out there, (Character spoilers!) which characters are you looking forward to putting on your team again? Will you be using different people this time to spice things up?.
I didn't get Marina on my initial selection this time around. No Marina. WTF is up with that?

At least I got Jane Turner.

Sorry for asking this again, but Durante, does the game have mouse acceleration? Binary Domain also only had a mouse sensitivity option and it didn't matter how much I tried, I couldn't make the mouse control comfortable :/
I didn't notice any in the third person view, that was pretty much perfect. In the map view, mouse movement seems mapped to stick movements, so that felt a little off.

In either case, I had to put sensitivity at 100 (the maximum). They should patch that.

Damn, I forgot how satisfying kills were in this game.

I was planning on waiting to clear my backlog a bit before getting it but this thread is really making that seem difficult now...

I have decided to screw my backlog and forget it exists. Just taking games I really want to play one at a time now. Feels a lot better. VC is now on deck.

Adnor

Banned
I didn't notice any in the third person view, that was pretty much perfect. In the map view, mouse movement seems mapped to stick movements, so that felt a little off.

In either case, I had to put sensitivity at 100 (the maximum). They should patch that.

Nice, I'll get it when I have some money to spend then :D

GMG is selling it for about $14. You have no excuses.
I just want to say thanks for this reminder. I thought the deal had already passed, but I'm glad it was still on sale at this price. A good Japanese PC port is always worth picking up at a good discounted price and Sega HAS to know we want more ports. They just have to.

Hopefully if Sega lets Platinum do the port for Vanquish they use some of that publisher muscle to knock their caps off.

Lime

Hey Durante, that PC article forgot to credit you for the FFXIII fix. Just if you want to contact them and get that corrected.

Ultimadrago

I didn't get Marina on my initial selection this time around. No Marina. WTF is up with that?

At least I got Jane Turner.

No Marina is lame, but Jane is certainly a plus as well!

What, no OP Scout strats?

That will come in time (like from someone tomorrow in the reasons they hate the game involving progression that's entirely up to the player).

I can only leave this Pro Tip: The OP Scout strat lies within your heart.
mvgamennudz.png

Korten

Banned
I watched the anime a while back, I remember some things. My only question going into the game is...

How much did the anime change or skip out on? I heard some say that even some characters personalities where changed in the anime.

As someone who was running around the forum world - and my RL friends - six years ago, telling everyone I could how awesome this game was, I feel a bit chuffed to see it as a top seller on Steam, with a good quality PC port. I bought it the day I got a PS3 and played the absolute hell out of it. If Sega are set on not taking this series any further, then this is a much better way to leave it than as a single console exclusive.

Look forward to playing it again tomorrow.

Falk

that puzzling face
I watched the anime a while back, I remember some things. My only question going into the game is...

How much did the anime change or skip out on? I heard some say that even some characters personalities where changed in the anime.

Anime is a stylized retelling at best. Setting is more or less intact, but other than that don't have any preconceptions.

Omikaru

I'm glad I rewarded Sega with my money for this, considering the quality of the port seems good. I don't normally pre-purchase games, and after being burned during the FFXIII fiasco it was a big ask to pre-purchase this. Alas, it was a good call this time.

I didn't really give the game a fair shake back in the day (it was a while ago, and my tastes have changed since back then), but I'm willing to give it another go. A lot of people whose opinions I trust really swear by it, so I'm looking forward to trying it again.

Top Bottom