• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Woo-Fu

Banned
More excited for this than I have been for a game in a long time and I've already played through it 2-3 times on other platforms. :)

hot damn, everything in that sounds great. what other games used the canvas engine? seems pretty impressive to spit out a game that looks that good and isn't overly taxing at the same time
Only the VC games right now. It's funny that, when you remove the cross-hatching and other visual effects, this engine's reusable in cases where that would tax the platform, which helps the PSP games.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Dunno if I'll end up getting this right away, but I'll double dip at some point.

Really interested in seeing what the mod community ends up doing!

what other games used the canvas engine? seems pretty impressive to spit out a game that looks that good and isn't overly taxing at the same time

Just the VC ones, which is a shame since it would be a good choice for both a Skies of Arcadia sequel as well as a new Sakura Taisen.

Durante

Actually seeing as you've had a decent dig through this how do all the filtering layers stack? There's several going on at once and the way the sketched shadows work always amazed me. I guess that might be something you kight write about at length at a later time.
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant when I said I'd like to write a more technical post on my blog about how it renders. It's fascinating.

One thing is certain though: you do not want to see the raw images the game spits out in the initial rendering pass before the non-photorealistic magic happens.

Nekofrog

Banned
excitement only mildly diminished at the no mouse control in menus :(

still paid full asking price on steam. i don't want to cheap out on this game because i've been waiting for a PC port since it came out

FLD

Pre-loaded and ready to go but I have classes all day tomorrow and won't be able to play until I get home in the evening. Gonna be a long day...

Probably the best information I could hope for as someone whose machine is pretty weak.

Emboldened by these results, I even tested the game on a convertible tablet/laptop combination, powered by a last-generation low-voltage Core i5-3317U with a nominal frequency of 1.7 GHz and Intel’s HD4000 integrated graphics. Certainly not a gaming machine by a long shot! At 720p, the game ran at around 44 FPS on this system and was absolutely playable.

My gt 630 should do just fine.
Fantastic.

Menome

I'm pretty rubbish at strategy-RPGs, but have this preordered on Steam anyway. I presume there's an 'Easy' difficulty for those of wanting to focus more on the story?

ryushe

It Begins.

supa-hot-fire.gif
Perfect.

This was my PS3's game of forever and I CANNOT wait to reenlist.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
One thing is certain though: you do not want to see the raw images the game spits out in the initial rendering pass before the non-photorealistic magic happens.

I have an idea what that could look like...does everything look super flat?

It unlocks tonight. Fuck everything. GIVE IT TO ME. NOOOOW

I'm this excited to play a game I've finished multiple times over the course of 6 years.

Durante

lol, Great article Durante.
I literally went back to the save menu not just once but twice and made a separate save to make sure it's really working. It's just that it's so much faster than it used to be on PS3, while the interface looks so similar. Serious dissonance there for everyone who played that version.

Oooh boy. I've seen pictures of the character models ripped from the game, outside of their native rendering environment and thrown into Gmod and god they were UGLY. Hah, with that in mind I can't help but feel that I want to see just what VC1 looks like without all of the shaders and filters.

Reverse psychology.

It's working.

So true...

Where can I find out in more detail what the DLC consists of?

I only played the base game before.

From the Steam store page:

Additionally this brand new PC digital version comes bundled with all previously released DLC, including:

Hard EX Mode (harder versions of skirmish missions in the main game)
Edy’s Mission “Enter the Edy Detachment” (a side story campaign)
Selveria’s Mission “Behind Her Blue Flame” (a side story campaign)
Challenge of the Edy Detachment (six challenge missions)

Dr Dogg

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant when I said I'd like to write a more technical post on my blog about how it renders. It's fascinating.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for something in the future. For now (well tomorrow) we all should really be playing Valkyria Chronicles than reading about it.

Alucrid

Banned
Only the VC games right now. It's funny that, when you remove the cross-hatching and other visual effects, this engine's reusable in cases where that would tax the platform, which helps the PSP games.

Dunno if I'll end up getting this right away, but I'll double dip at some point.

Really interested in seeing what the mod community ends up doing!

Just the VC ones, which is a shame since it would be a good choice for both a Skies of Arcadia sequel as well as a new Sakura Taisen.

that's disappointing, but i guess there's always hope. maybe.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Somehow the fact Sakimoto did the OST for this escaped me until this OT. :O

Don't know much about the game but always had an interest. Finishing the preload, hopefully I'll have time to dip my feet in tomorrow night.

Alric

Still can't wrap my mind around them actually bringing this to PC. Wonder if it does well we'll get some other console games that could use a little 60fps max resolution love.

Uzzy

Absolutely delighted that this is coming to PC, and seems to be a damn good port. I hope that heralds well for future Sega ports to PC.

Nyoro SF

I'm so in.

During the Steam sale.

Am I a bad person? I've got too many games and bought the original plus VC2.

I'm sorry to say I have no interest in your financial plan. Tell your mother and she would be happy to learn that you're saving money.

Still can't wrap my mind around them actually bringing this to PC. Wonder if it does well we'll get some other console games that could use a little 60fps max resolution love.

That's the plan!

Top Bottom