• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Durante

This might be a stupid question, but how do you replay missions? When I try to select the square with the battle map in it on the book screen, it doesn't let me replay it. It just makes a generic 'not possible' noise.
In this case, I just re-loaded a previous save :p

You get the opportunity to replay missions much later, but until then you can only play skirmishes multiple times.

I totally forgot that some of the character scoops also include missions. Yasai banzai!

Falk

that puzzling face
Seriously, when is this tank not going to blow ass.

Tank makes an awesome mobile barricade. You know how in Battlefield 3/4 an engineer following behind a tank and repairing it while it takes damage is unrealistic but hilarious (and annoying)

It's like this in this game too, except even more hilarious.

Just don't let enemies shoot you in the backside and you should be fine.

McNum

"Hello again son. Today I will teach you the "Retreat" order. Use this to make injured units withdraw from the field."

2 CP teleportation from anywhere to any owned camp, you say? I can do that. "Marina, retreat!" "Marina, come to the forward camp!" And she's there when my next turn starts. That's how this works, right? It's only if a character gets KO'd you can't resummon them, or can you?

Offensive retreat! Moving Snipers and Lancers at Scout speed.

IIRC, movement range is based on AP, and snipers have 250-300 AP (three times less than scouts). But I'm pretty sure that AP is the same for all characters in the same class. It could be changed by innate abilities, but I don't remember a scout having double movement or anything like this.

I'm fairly certain each individual does have unique AP values, but they are all in a sensible range for their class; there are no outliers in that regard.

Late in the game, however,
you get access to potentials that can affect movement range

I little late to the party, but I'm moving in re-joining the gallian militia after a couple of years

ad5w9Dk.jpg

Originally I wanted to wait a couple of weeks till I'm back home with my desktop. But reading the thread and since it should also run ok-ish on my laptop...

Unai

"Hello again son. Today I will teach you the "Retreat" order. Use this to make injured units withdraw from the field."

2 CP teleportation from anywhere to any owned camp, you say? I can do that. "Marina, retreat!" "Marina, come to the forward camp!" And she's there when my next turn starts. That's how this works, right? It's only if a character gets KO'd you can't resummon them, or can you?

Offensive retreat! Moving Snipers and Lancers at Scout speed.

I don't really know, but from the description I think that that comand has the same effect as when one of your units save a fallen one.

Levyne

Banned
Man I want to get to this but I also feel oddly compelled to finish XIII and then dragon age next week. Not enough hours in the day!

But I love reading the thread with both first timers and double dippers posting their impressions and such :)

Ultimadrago

I little late to the party, but I'm moving in re-joining the gallian militia after a couple of years

ad5w9Dk.jpg

Originally I wanted to wait a couple of weeks till I'm back home with my desktop. But reading the thread and since it should also run ok-ish on my laptop...

At first I was squinting at that tank attachment. But then it hit me. Dohoho.

Vashzaron

It's only if a character gets KO'd you can't resummon them, or can you?

You can request characters who have been KO'd to come back one turn after you rescue them. (By the way in cases of Alicia / Rosie / Largo this also brings back the Extra Command Point for having them out.)

I don't really know, but from the description I think that that comand has the same effect as when one of your units save a fallen one.

Nah, it's the same effect as going to a camp and "retreating."

sublimit

Banned

ad5w9Dk.jpg

Ha.Nice! :)

KiraFA37

Regarding chapter 9,
I remember when I did this on PS3 I did the whole thing blocking the APC as much as possible with my tank, but when doing the mission on PC I just realized something very obvious: if you don't block the APC at all, it'll immediately go past your camp. So I just set up a simple ambush with 2 shocktroopers, and they easily incapacitated the vehicle within 3 turns. I think this is the first (and probably only) time I've been able to do a mission even faster than A rank requirement. I probably missed an Ace in the mission due to this strategy, but oh well.

Hah, took me 2 turns in total.

Question about acquiring orders. I'm starting chapter 10 now and the old man at the graveyard has only given me one order yet and I missed an other one because I didn't have enough XP. Is it me or is this a low amount? I checked after clearing each chapter or do I need to check after each battle?

Erheller

Tank makes an awesome mobile barricade. You know how in Battlefield 3/4 an engineer following behind a tank and repairing it while it takes damage is unrealistic but hilarious (and annoying)

It's like this in this game too, except even more hilarious.

Just don't let enemies shoot you in the backside and you should be fine.

I do this all the time. Dallas also tends to get run over a lot by Welkin.

Koren

I'm fairly certain each individual does have unique AP values, but they are all in a sensible range for their class; there are no outliers in that regard.
Just checked faqs/wikis and haven't found anything about this (the character stats faq on GF gives same values for anyone in the same class), but I'll trust you on this... Now, I want to run some tests... ^_^

Late in the game, however,
you get access to potentials that can affect movement range
Indeed,
I talked about this, but I'm pretty sure that there isn't a sniper that get such an effect (on movement, I mean). Usually, the effect is linked to the character class. I could be wrong, but IIRC, Scouts can get double mouvement, shocks can get double attack, engineers can get double action, etc. Snipers would rather get an accuracy boost, range boost or armor piercing effect

Sectus

Been fiddling a bit with model files. Someone made a script for importing models from the PS3 version into Blender, and it works just fine with files from PC version too. Script can be downloaded here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=85743#p85743

There's 2 versions of most models in the game. A detailed version used in cutscenes (the cutscenes with the portraits), and a less detailed version which used in combat.

So, here's an example of the difference, and an example of a rather big problem when trying to use the detailed models ingame:
Normal model: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/25096108681879644/6BEF6F5BDEB1450A4DE1A32471439006B4FC481A/
High detailed model: http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/25096108681875554/9120513375B136C4E4200968786D42863C32DE64/

I did this by simply swapping files, so I'm hoping there's some way to replace the ingame models with cutscene models without any issues.

All the models are in data/resource/mx by the way. These are the ones I've identified:
val_vc001 - Edelweiss?
val_vc102_BK - Enemy tank?
valcA01aB_h - Welkin
valcA01bB_h - Welkin (first outfit)
valcA01dB_h - Welkin (formal outfit)
valcA01eB_h - Welkin (swimwear)
valcA02aD_h - Alicia
valcA02bD_h - Alicia (first uniform)
valcA02eD_h - Alicia (bikini)
valcA03aE_h - Isara
valcA04aC_h - Rosie
valcA04cC_h - Rosie (swimwear)
valcA05aA_h - Largo
valcA18aX_h - Enemy officer
valcC21aB_h - Friendly soldier with helmet
valcE06aB_h - Friendly soldier
valcF05aA_h - Friendly lancer
valcC01aB_h - Friendly scout?

_h are cutscene models, and _m are ingame models.

sfried

Well, I don't think I'll do that myself. I'm primarily doing this mod because it's fairly easy, since all the PS3 button icons are already among game files. Someone could make a mod for Wii U button icons, but there's a bunch of textures to edit.

I'm willing to edit the already existing XInput buttons. All I have to do is just switch out the color of the buttons to match those on a Super Famicom, or simply strip off all the colors altogether.

They already did it for Dark Souls:
9-1-1398510938.jpg

Alrus

I re-played the Chapter 7 battle since I was unhappy with my previous performance. This time, I had no one go down, killed everyone
who is killable
, and it took 9 turns (so
A
ranking).

My favorite part by far was
getting ready for Selvaria and her goons by putting Marina in the base camp, and Dallas to carry her ammo. Took out everyone in the turn they appeared. Before: http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-133zpph.jpg After: http://abload.de/img/screenshot_2014-11-13llq97.jpg

Dallas' "fancies women" potential proced when refilling Marina after she took out 3 of the 6 dudes, which I thought was a particularly nice touch :p

That's exactly what I did (except I didn't have Dallas so I used some other Engineer instead), Sniping a whole squad in a single turn is so satisfying.

holy shit jane
valk2nmu9s.gif

I'm going to guess she has the Demolition Boost Order buff up.

Regarding chapter 9,
I remember when I did this on PS3 I did the whole thing blocking the APC as much as possible with my tank, but when doing the mission on PC I just realized something very obvious: if you don't block the APC at all, it'll immediately go past your camp. So I just set up a simple ambush with 2 shocktroopers, and they easily incapacitated the vehicle within 3 turns. I think this is the first (and probably only) time I've been able to do a mission even faster than A rank requirement. I probably missed an Ace in the mission due to this strategy, but oh well.

You can cheese that mission in one single turn with Demolition Boost order and one well placed shock trooper. It's kind of unsatisfying to win so easily though :/

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm willing to edit the already existing XInput buttons. All I have to do is just switch out the color of the buttons to match those on a Super Famicom, or simply strip off all the colors altogether.

They already did it for Dark Souls:
9-1-1398510938.jpg

You can maybe pull some graphics for button icons here for the Xenoblade HD texture project for Dolphin, they have a pack including icons for the Wiimote and Wii Classic Controller. Maybe you can modify those to make a SFC set?

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thre...onicles-hd-texture-pack-v5-6u-october-18-2014

Chariot

Heavy Chapter 11 Spoiler

I was so happy to got the mission after I got a bit in trouble when I two flamethrower soldiers rekt my first strike team in the final base and I managed to save everyone before they were collected (except Alicia, but she's fine). And then I was reminded and what point in the story I was. Since I saw the anime series I knew that it was coming and yet it was hard to watch and took me right in the heart. Again and even worse than in the anime.
RIP Isara, you were too good for this world ;____;

xBladeM6x

I'm not sure how I feel about Homer being
sexually
excited by Masochism. Lol
Good for him.
Also happened to find this about him, and it makes him an even bigger freak. (Not in a bad way) "Homer willingly joined the "Edy Detachment" because there is nothing more enjoyable to him than being yelled at and humiliated by Edy."

64556_by_xbladem6x-d86azxh.gif

Sorry, no idea. However, GeDoSaTo should show the downsampling message if it's working.

Can you try binding the "showStatus" key and see what it says if you press it?
so yea, status says not downsampling, but I have no idea why

# Graphics settings

# The actual rendering resolutions you want to use,
# and how many Hz you want the game to think they work at.
# format: renderResolution [width]x[height]@[hz]
#renderResolution 3200x1800@60
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
#renderResolution 4480x2520@60
#renderResolution 5120x2880@60
#renderResolution 7680x4320@60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
# 0 = main monitor resolution
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 60

McNum

Well, I hope I just burned my bad luck on chapter 6, because wow that didn't go according to plan. I mean, I won and all, but sheesh so many delaying actions from the enemy. Since when can Imperial snipers hit anything? Ah well, Fina got to earn her keep, and one turn later, I just resummoned the KO'd troops back up ahead.

I'd say that's kind of unrealistic to treat sniper-indiced head trauma in like a minute, but... it's Fina. One turn healing from dead to 100% is her thing.

Thinking of doing a few Skirmishes to level up the Engineers enough to get Defend All before going into chapter 7. Might be useful.

Alrus

So I accidently saved over my main file during a DLC mission I'm not sure I can finish (the ennemies don't move and the only losing condition is to get your camp taken), am I screwed? :( Afaik there's no quit/restart mission in the game (which is a weird/dumb omission :/).

What is this "potential" thing you guys talk about. Some sort of special skill ? I've played through the game nearly twice and I have never encountered that. :/

You did actually set the resolution in the game launcher, right?
NO! Why would I do that!?

...lol having only used GeDoSaTo for FFXIII I had mistaken how it works. I didnt realize it was giving more resolution options to the system for the game to detect, not just forcing it to the config resolution

sfried

You can maybe pull some graphics for button icons here for the Xenoblade HD texture project for Dolphin, they have a pack including icons for the Wiimote and Wii Classic Controller. Maybe you can modify those to make a SFC set?

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thre...onicles-hd-texture-pack-v5-6u-october-18-2014

Thanks. I seriously want to do the Wii U button map since it is essentially the same as the X360/XInput controller. The Mayflash adapter treats A button in Pro Controller as A in Xinput, making the button poisitons swapped by default. Incidentally, this also makes it convinient since I'm used to using "A" as "Affirmative" and "B" as Back.

Care to help me out Sectus? What do I need to get started?

batfax

Well, I accidentally found a strat that made chapter 7 stupidly easy. Just barely missed A-Rank though. =\

Apparently I was parked slightly in the big tank's way. The dang thing didn't even move for a couple turns and I just casually blew apart every soldier/turret on the battlefield before I realized "oh." and moved Welkin back half an inch for the mission to go as usual, minus any enemies to actually try to hurt anyone. When Selvaria showed up, I just used the extra AP I got from waiting around to snipe her entourage, then it was back to the waiting game and using the Edelweiss to block her from intercepting anyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What is this "potential" thing you guys talk about. Some sort of special skill ? I've played through the game nearly twice and I have never encountered that. :/
Yeah, as you upgrade your classes, at certain levels they will unlock potentials for all members of that class. This can be stuff like getting free ammo, or never missing, or being able to dodge all fire.

tenton

All characters have potentials that activate. When the activate is a matter of the potential (there are some that have specifics on when and where they activate) and some RNGesus.

Here's Largo's potential activating (I guess it could be a spoiler of sorts, but not a major plot one, as this is a side mission, IIRC) http://youtu.be/PBv3q29O2VU?t=1m

Levyne

Banned
how do i tell if GeDoSaTo is running and downsampling things?

You'll see the overlay message at the top of the screen after selecting the resolution in game (hell if you see the resolution, you're likely set unless it's a DSR resolution or a custom or something), and the keybindings settings will have a "Showstatus" key which defaults to your numpad's "+" key, but commented.

Also, the game will look much better! :D

McNum

Well, found out how to A-rank Easy Skirmish 3. It, of course, means stacking Orders on a Scout and using the grass paths to get a good vantage point and dealing death from above. I like that grenades regenerate one per turn.

Engineers are now level 6, so I got that order I needed for chapter 7. I hope this goes easier than I remember... At least I know what's coming.

Hastati

Been fiddling a bit with model files. Someone made a script for importing models from the PS3 version into Blender, and it works just fine with files from PC version too. Script can be downloaded here: http://forum.xentax.com/viewtopic.php?p=85743#p85743

There's 2 versions of most models in the game. A detailed version used in cutscenes (the cutscenes with the portraits), and a less detailed version which used in game...

I did this by simply swapping files, so I'm hoping there's some way to replace the ingame models with cutscene models without any .

This is an exciting post. I remember marveling at those models when the game first came out, it would be great to use them in-game.

This game would be great with mods.

Chariot

I didn't use orders until chapter 9, because I thought that I had always more bang for my buck by actually moving soldiers and shoot stuff with them. Oh, how wrong I was. Orders are bliss. Everyone should use orders.

Top Bottom