• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

sixghost

Well I survived Chapter 7 on the first try. Shit got crazy once the reinforcements arrived, but we rode it out. I gotta say the tank was a lifesaver in that mission, it was practically the only point of cover I could use during the later phases and it saved half my squad from getting killed.

It's a bit bullshit that
the radiators close once one of them is destroyed. I had my lancers positioned to take out the last two in one turn, then it just closes once the 2nd one was destroyed. The entire back part of that mission is a little cheap. Selvaria and 4 or 5 guys just pop up out of nowhere and killed 2 or 3 people on the first turn. Idk how anyone is supposed to know where they'll enter the map on the first try.

I'm completely sold on this game now. The start was really slow, but the last 3 missions have been awesome.

Sectus

Looked a bit more at the character models. I'm really bad with model formats, so I don't think I'll be able to get the cutscene models working ingame. But I'll try to get the textures from cutscene models working on ingame models, and release a large mod with that.

All the cutscene model textures are 4 times the size of the ingame ones, so it would be a noticable increase in quality.

As an example, here's one of the textures for Alicia:
Ingame: http://abload.de/img/00-ingame52svm.png
Cutscene: http://abload.de/img/00-cutscenesmsrn.png

Nairume

Banned
Well dang, the game crashed as soon as I exited the base menu after the first time I got to recruit and upgrade my squadies, totally not letting me save. On the plus side, the squad selection the second time around had Vyse and Aika!

Loving this game so far.

rickyson1

this game feels so diverse

it seems like almost every map has a radically different feel to it

Well I survived Chapter 7 on the first try. Shit got crazy once the reinforcements arrived, but we rode it out. I gotta say the tank was a lifesaver in that mission, it was practically the only point of cover I could use during the later phases and it saved half my squad from getting killed.

It's a bit bullshit that
the radiators close once one of them is destroyed. I had my lancers positioned to take out the last two in one turn, then it just closes once the 2nd one was destroyed. The entire back part of that mission is a little cheap. Selvaria and 4 or 5 guys just pop up out of nowhere and killed 2 or 3 people on the first turn. Idk how anyone is supposed to know where they'll enter the map on the first try.

I'm completely sold on this game now. The start was really slow, but the last 3 missions have been awesome.

I dunno about that,when I was playing it yesterday I felt like I had a general idea where they would show up because the game kept talking about fighting in the east near the temple etc

xBladeM6x

The
Report - Flower of the Battlefield
side mission is so rage inducing. It feels like they don't want you to beat this mission until you've maxed your characters out. Lol

raven777

Is anyone's mouse move really slow in the overhead map? It works fine when I control the character and aim, but when I go to the overhead mode to select the character the mouse moves really slow...

Is anyone's mouse move really slow in the overhead map? It works fine when I control the character and aim, but when I go to the overhead mode to select the character the mouse moves really slow...

Yeah, me too. I ended up using unit list to choose them quickly.

Durante

Sensitivity 100 works well for both the map and aiming for me. They really should just double the mouse movement when translating it for the map interface though.

this game feels so diverse

it seems like almost every map has a radically different feel to it
This is one of the greatest advantages it has over its sequel, and also over many other strategy games and SRPGs.

I often get bored in SRPGs with same-y battles, so that not occurring in VC1 at all is one reason I like it so much.

Scipio

I'm at the beginning, and I gotta say, it feels pretty awesome.

But man, what's really pulling the game down is the awful writing. I mean, especially that part when you 'meet' Hans was so bad I started laughing, and don't get me started on the pseudo-philosophical nature-inspired lines of our beloved protagonist.

But the strategy is great!

Durante

I really like Welkin. Admittedly, it may be primarily because he's so utterly different from any protagonist you would expect in either a Western or even a Japanese game, particularly a war-themed one.

TaroYamada

Are people expecting a deep storyline? I think the writing is intended to be lighthearted and succeeds at that, not really deep or philosophical. I liked what Miyamoto just said about people who are making games who would probably be better off making film.

I like storylines in games and writing but most of the time, particularly in games like this, I view plot as something to give me a reason for whatever I'm doing. It's never central to a game for me. The exception being, maybe, point & click adventures. Even then I'm most times looking for a laugh vs. a cohesive plot (e.g. Monkey Island).

jb1234

Are people expecting a deep storyline? I think the writing is intended to be lighthearted and succeeds at that, not really deep or philosophical. I liked what Miyamoto just said about people who are making games who would probably be better off making film.

I like storylines in games and writing but most of the time, particularly in games like this, I view plot as something to give me a reason for whatever I'm doing. It's never central to a game for me. The exception being, maybe, point & click adventures. Even then I'm most times looking for a laugh vs. a cohesive plot (e.g. Monkey Island).

I think the writing is serviceable in VC. Basically, as long as a JRPG story doesn't make me cringe, we're in good shape. I don't expect much from the genre.

xBladeM6x

I really like Welkin. Admittedly, it may be primarily because he's so utterly different from any protagonist you would expect in either a Western or even a Japanese game, particularly a war-themed one.

You'd expect him to be an even less sympathetic Largo, givien the way writers do protagonists in war settings.

TaroYamada

I think the writing is serviceable in VC. Basically, as long as a JRPG story doesn't make me cringe, we're in good shape. I don't expect much from the genre.

The only issue I remember having, going into spoilers now.....
was the part when Alicia goes all mega weapon and he stops to tell her he loves her and stuff, just let her kill everybody then tell her..... and you'll save a bunch of gallian lives.

Unless I'm missing something, I haven't gotten back there yet so I'm going off my 5 year old memory of what happened. That's the problem with a big focus on plot, then when there's a hole like that I actually am a bit perturbed because it feels like, plot-wise, the game should have just ended.

rickyson1

what exactly do the elite upgrades do?

i've noticed that for scouts you get a grenade launcher and 100 extra ap,shocktroopers get a flamethrower,and engineers get 3 grenades instead of 1 but what about lancers and snipers? and is there anything i'm missing on the ones I named?

Is it be or does the Royal anti tank lance really suck?

depends which one and where you're at I guess,the M3R I just got after chapter 12 seems okay

20 extra range and C aim instead of D at the cost of 50 tank damage(1150 instead of 1200) and an extra 40 damage against non tanks too I guess

feels worth it to me if only barely

although the sniper rifle I just got at the same time seems very good instead of just "meh seems slightly worth it for now I guess",extra damage and 300 extra range

It's less about deep storyline and more about believable dialogue. Valkyria Chronicles' characters are likable enough and as a lighthearted romp it's fine. But occasionally it tries to be philosophical and it just fails miserably. Like, at the beginning Welkin does this very weird monologue that somehow managed to soothe the distressed Alicia and it just lost me.

If that's what comes out of it, I'd rather they not bother with serious talks and just fill the game with silliness like Edy's Detachment.

iavi

VC's not as strong as something like Fire Emblem awakening in its blending of the field mechanics, permadeath, and character exposition bits, but it definitely has the same idea in making the player care about the units as more than stat avatars.

The story and characters can't be discounted. This game wouldn't be as strong as it is without even what it has.

If VC4 ever came to be, I actually hope they'd expand on a lot of the ideas FE:A expanded on from VC1.

Agreed that preachy, soapbox-y dialogue and speeches don't help VC's story. It doesn't happen often, but the artbook does a good job of selecting quotes I'd erased from memory because they were so lame. Most of the plotting's tight, at least; only
Isara's gun-wound not being Ragnite-healed
sticks out to me like it could use a better premise or explanation. Some have argued that Varrot's mission reduces her to the hysterical-woman stereotype. The story's pretty good no matter the issues, and the world-building and implication of character backstories/depth is excellent.

Sakura Wars' influence on both VC and FE:A could be long-reaching.

Chariot

what exactly do the elite upgrades do?

i've noticed that for scouts you get a grenade launcher and 100 extra ap,shocktroopers get a flamethrower,and engineers get 3 grenades instead of 1 but what about lancers and snipers? and is there anything i'm missing on the ones I named?
Don't engineers have three grenades even at the very beginning? Engineers can repair slighty better imo.
Lancers get a anti-personnel mortar and snipers get slightly more precision. As far as I know.

Seanspeed

Banned

Storyline seems fine. Its the writing/dialogue that drags it down. But no, I was not expecting anything in this regard. And it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the game.

iavi

Agreed that preachy, soapbox-y dialogue and speeches don't help VC's story. It doesn't happen often, but the artbook does a good job of selecting quotes I'd erased from memory because they were so lame. Most of the plotting's tight, at least; only
Isara's gun-wound not being Ragnite-healed
sticks out to me like it could use a better premise or explanation. Some have argued that Varrot's mission reduces her to the hysterical-woman stereotype. The story's pretty good no matter the issues, and the world-building and implication of character backstories/depth is excellent.

Sakura Wars' influence on both VC and FE:A could be long-reaching.

I had completely forgotten about Sakura Wars.

Still, wouldn't call it all that long of a reach.

Just beat Chapter 7 and wow it was such a different experience since this is my second time playing the game than it was originally 6 years ago. Here are my thoughts:
It was a total piece of cake this time around going into it knowing what to expect. The first time this mission felt like the most unfair poorly designed mission ever, but now I can actually see how it was designed by it's creators who by then would have had ample experience with the game's systems and known it inside out. You absolutely have the capability of destroying this mission by the time you get to it, in the resources and units you should have by now.

However I still think they threw this mission in too early, and can also see why it turned so many people away initially (myself included, but I ended up powering through). While the game has 'taught' you the things you should know by now, there is still no guarantee that the player will have the knowledge of things that would make this mission much easier. Things like using engineers to resupply so you can keep pounding the machine turrets with lancers, or using scouts or engineers to rush up and grenade the radiators. If they put this mission maybe 3 more chapters deep it would probably have a much better legacy than 'that one bullshit mission with the tank'.

One thing I still am not sure about is the introduction of Selvaria later, the game does give you enough time to prepare and warns you troops are coming from the East. But on a first playthrough there is not much that would prepare you for a unit like that, and the somewhat random way she just blazes a trail through and targets your people. Knowing it was coming I could hide them away and body block with the tank, but in my opinion things should be balanced for reacting to them as seen the first time.

In the end I greatly enjoyed it this second time but also had a much easier time with it.

bonercop

this seems to be common thing in anime and japanese storytelling. Forgiving the villain or something. Im not going to bring up any examples but one is bugging me. Selvaria didnt really bug me though, she killed people in war, some inhumane tactics, but I thought her backstory was good enough to feel sorry for her. I honestly really like Selvaria

I'm not really talking about her battlefield record.
More the completely absurd nuclear self-detention that literally wiped out the entire Gallian army leaving only the militia.

Putting aside the morality of the situation and how tonally weird it is for the story to treat Selveria like a tragic heroine after those actions --- that.....was a pretty big deal. You'd think the story would address that at some point rather than mentioning it in an off-hand way.

Chariot

Just beat Chapter 7 and wow it was such a different experience since this is my second time playing the game than it was originally 6 years ago. Here are my thoughts:
It was a total piece of cake this time around going into it knowing what to expect. The first time this mission felt like the most unfair poorly designed mission ever, but now I can actually see how it was designed by it's creators who by then would have had ample experience with the game's systems and known it inside out. You absolutely have the capability of destroying this mission by the time you get to it, in the resources and units you should have by now.

However I still think they threw this mission in too early, and can also see why it turned so many people away initially (myself included, but I ended up powering through). While the game has 'taught' you the things you should know by now, there is still no guarantee that the player will have the knowledge of things that would make this mission much easier. Things like using engineers to resupply so you can keep pounding the machine turrets with lancers, or using scouts or engineers to rush up and grenade the radiators. If they put this mission maybe 3 more chapters deep it would probably have a much better legacy than 'that one bullshit mission with the tank'.

One thing I still am not sure about is the introduction of Selvaria later, the game does give you enough time to prepare and warns you troops are coming from the East. But on a first playthrough there is not much that would prepare you for a unit like that, and the somewhat random way she just blazes a trail through and targets your people. Knowing it was coming I could hide them away and body block with the tank, but in my opinion things should be balanced for reacting to them as seen the first time.

In the end I greatly enjoyed it this second time but also had a much easier time with it.
I think Selvarias appearances was pretty interesting. The holy shit moment when she comes in and just slaughter through your troops as a ingame unit, is very impactful and makes you actually scared for your precious units when you don't know anything about that.

rickyson1

I think Selvarias appearances was pretty interesting. The holy shit moment when she comes in and just slaughter through your troops as a ingame unit, is very impactful and makes you actually scared for your precious units when you don't know anything about that.

it was definitely a bit scary,when she first showed up I had two shocktroopers and a lancer near each other in cover and she took them all out in one turn(she attacked twice then some other soldier attacked that happened to be standing next to her so she fired too) good thing I had a recent save

Durante

Another thing about Selvaria appearing is that it really drives home the value of cover. Until that point, cover is more of a "nice to have" thing. Once she is there, you get out of cover and you're dead.

Cerity

Finally got some time away and just finished chapter 5. I've a love/hate relationship with the game when it comes to commencing fights for the first time. It's just so punishing as you go in guessing about terrain, enemy placement, enemy unit types e.t.c and if you don't do your deployment right it can extend the fight all that much more.

Makes me want to go back and do the battle again to get that better ranking, which I've done for all of them so far haha.

Looked a bit more at the character models. I'm really bad with model formats, so I don't think I'll be able to get the cutscene models working ingame. But I'll try to get the textures from cutscene models working on ingame models, and release a large mod with that.

All the cutscene model textures are 4 times the size of the ingame ones, so it would be a noticable increase in quality.

As an example, here's one of the textures for Alicia:
Ingame: http://abload.de/img/00-ingame52svm.png
Cutscene: http://abload.de/img/00-cutscenesmsrn.png

This sounds great. Do all characters have higher res 'cutscene' textures?

Chariot

Another thing about Selvaria appearing is that it really drives home the value of cover. Until that point, cover is more of a "nice to have" thing. Once she is there, you get out of cover and you're dead.
Right, that is a good point too. Similar to the night mission in ch.09 where it makes more sense to use orders than doing the obvious thing the mission recommends.

It's in the post you quoted
edit: missed the important 'all'. So nevermind

Sectus

I'd assume that only those who appear in cutscenes do.

They all do. I think the only place you'd normally see the high quality version of all models is in the personnel tab.

What constitutes a "cutscene" in this game, anyway? The cinematic ones are all pre-rendered, yes? I'm assuming it's the talking heads segments and the "yay I just killed a guy" victory poses.

I'm talking about the real-time cutscenes with the portraits. I'm pretty sure the "Yay, I killed someone!" animations are not using cutscene models.

Scipio

He's not the worst one in the word. But "... and that's why I want to be a teacher" or "I want to be a bridge" are the kind of lines I hate the most. Plus, his ideas are borderline mentally deranged.

Javaman

Loving the game so far but I've got a couple questions...

What do the different colors of sightlines mean? Do the commands like defense boost only last one turn?

My only complaint so far is the enemies being able to shoot you while standing still. You can pause it anytime by going into aim mode and then canceling. They should only shoot you when actually consuming AP. That would make far more sense.

Violet_0

Banned
Are people expecting a deep storyline? I think the writing is intended to be lighthearted and succeeds at that, not really deep or philosophical.

after the first couple of missions I've come to realized that I should treat the story in VC like an Advance Wars game. I dunno, it's really engaging though

in chapter 6 now, I've yet to really find a use for shocktroopers. Just give me more snipers, please

oh, and how do you unlock the character biographies? Is it just random or do you have to use them on the battlefield?

Top Bottom