• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Squishy3

I didn't use orders until chapter 9, because I thought that I had always more bang for my buck by actually moving soldiers and shoot stuff with them. Oh, how wrong I was. Orders are bliss. Everyone should use orders.
I forgot about orders until chapter 5 where the guy keeps using the evade order and everyone ducks under my sniper's headshots. I only had 2 enemies left before I could capture the base too. :(

All characters have potentials that activate. When the activate is a matter of the potential (there are some that have specifics on when and where they activate) and some RNGesus.

Here's Largo's potential activating (I guess it could be a spoiler of sorts, but not a major plot one, as this is a side mission, IIRC) http://youtu.be/PBv3q29O2VU?t=1m

ooohhh, yes, I remember getting this one once.

Maybe it's just been too long since I played the game and I have forgotten. :/

McNum

I didn't use orders until chapter 9, because I thought that I had always more bang for my buck by actually moving soldiers and shoot stuff with them. Oh, how wrong I was. Orders are bliss. Everyone should use orders.
O R D E R
"This is an order! You, Scout, go solo the map!"

Welkin Gunther

And I am not even exaggerating that much. Some orders are just plain crazy. Damage Boost or Demolition Boost on a Shocktrooper is amazing against Tanks and everyone loves Defense Boost. Then there's the utility ones like Retreat and Medic Request, and a few really crazy ones for later. You can also use Aim Boost on Snipers to give them a taste of the lategame power of Snipers early, or just to make Lancers not miss the broadside of a tank.

Orders are good. They cost CP, yes, but they're so worth it.

O R D E R
"This is an order! You, Scout, go solo the map!"

Welkin Gunther

And I am not even exaggerating that much. Some orders are just plain crazy. Damage Boost or Demolition Boost on a Shocktrooper is amazing against Tanks and everyone loves Defense Boost. Then there's the utility ones like Retreat and Medic Request, and a few really crazy ones for later. You can also use Aim Boost on Snipers to give them a taste of the lategame power of Snipers early, or just to make Lancers not miss the broadside of a tank.

Orders are good. They cost CP, yes, but they're so worth it.

At this rate, we need to figure out how to work model-replacements double-time.

We need to replace Welkin with Sgt. Foley.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I take it I should mess around with the orders a bit, they sound underwhelming on paper so outside of retreat I don't tend to use them.

McNum

I take it I should mess around with the orders a bit, they sound underwhelming on paper so outside of retreat I don't tend to use them.
They are quite good. Think of them as force multipliers. Imagine Rosie charging at a Medium Tank in an open field. A bad plan at best and probably something to get the Medic to worry about.

With Orders, the balance tips considerably. Spend 3 CP on Defense Boost (1CP) and Damage Boost (2CP) and the fight becomes hilariously one-sided in Rosie's favor. The interception fire will hurt much less and when she gets behind the tank, she can kill it in one volley with her machine gun. I've done literally that in the PS3 game.

That is the basic power of orders. From hopeless odds to easy victory. Now think what a Scout that can take a hit could do in one turn. Or what a squad-wide Defense Boost means in a tough spot.

Seventy70

The game wont launch for me when I have GeDoSaTo enabled. The process shows up in the task manager, but it won't open unless I disable the tool. Anyone have a solution?

Falk

that puzzling face
On Ch13 lol (minor tactical spoilers)

Never realized that when the Edelweiss shows up, the starting position allows an easy 1-shot kill against the Heavy Tank at the goal flag. Made this run so much easier. So glad I loaded up on all Accuracy parts in R&D

Thraktor

I'm a few hours in and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. I'm a fan of SRPGs (Fire Emblem, FFT, XCOM, etc.), but I never played the original, as I didn't have a PS3 at the time. I'm kind of happy I waited, though, as it looks fantastic downscaled from 4K on my 1080p TV (thanks Durante!) and I can even get what feels like a solid 60fps doing so on my R9 280. It's just a shame about the FMVs, it's a little disconcerting to play a game where the gameplay looks so much better than the cutscenes.

Also, I was reading this thread before playing chapter 5 today, and was a little scared off by the number of people who said they had difficulty with it, but I actually managed to get an A rank at my first attempt.
I had two scouts positioned the in north group, and I used only the two of them, sneaking through the forest in the centre of the map, up behind the anti-tank cannon that overlooks the base, and then down through the rear of the base to grab the flag. I was actually inside the gate and only a couple of metres away from the flag at the end of my second turn, but still got the A for doing it in three, thankfully.
It's really satisfying to be able to come up with a plan and execute it that well (although I honestly didn't expect it to work at all when I started).

Nekofrog

Banned
i didnt realize how much of a damned idiot welkin is. he's lucky he has anime logic to back up his stupid, stupid plans.

"sure, we can take a normal tank and make it waterproof in a few seconds"

"i want to be a bridge"

sir can i please get transferred to another unit, this guy is crazy

i didnt realize how much of a damned idiot welkin is. he's lucky he has anime logic to back up his stupid, stupid plans.

"i want to be a bridge"

lol, yeah.Welks should've had his arse fragged 'Nam style a long time ago.

Would you rather Welkin want to be a Blitzball?

Anyway, I'm an old timer, but I have a question for the others - Are debuff guns worthwhile or should I do what I've always done and just stick to the upgrades that enhance my classes niches?

Sectus

Thanks. I seriously want to do the Wii U button map since it is essentially the same as the X360/XInput controller. The Mayflash adapter treats A button in Pro Controller as A in Xinput, making the button poisitons swapped by default. Incidentally, this also makes it convinient since I'm used to using "A" as "Affirmative" and "B" as Back.

Care to help me out Sectus? What do I need to get started?

Well, there's no easy to way to do this. There's 3 ways to consider:
- Force the game to use original textures with my tool, and edit various UI textures in the game. I'm working on a tool to make it easier to edit these textures. In my mod, I did this via hex editing (and there's several UI textures I haven't found yet).
- Edit the 360 button icons (or the number icons) the developer created for this port. The annoying thing is that all the textures for these are in the executable. So we'd need a tool to extract and replace those.
- Use a tool which is capable of dumping and replacing textures as they're loaded into memory. Texmod might be compatible with the game. I might be wrong, but I think Durante's GeDoSaTo tool can do this too?

jett

D-Member
Chapter 9 has taught me the wonders of grouping three people together. Bitches didn't know what hit 'em. I shall try to do that more often. :p

Tank makes an awesome mobile barricade. You know how in Battlefield 3/4 an engineer following behind a tank and repairing it while it takes damage is unrealistic but hilarious (and annoying)

It's like this in this game too, except even more hilarious.

Just don't let enemies shoot you in the backside and you should be fine.

Yeah I've done that couple of times. :p But the tank just takes up one too many turns to be properly useful. It's too slow and just not all that powerful to me.

"i want to be a bridge"

Interesting you mention that.

In the awful anime adaptation, Alicia is portrayed as a typical tsundere. The first few episodes are her going "Welkin, this fucking guy, such an idiot what is wrong with him WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK WITH HIM" and it's mildly entertaining.

Also it's been a while since I've played the Japanese track version of VC. I just noticed Alicia seems a lot more... Kinder and speaks more softly in the Japanese audio, but in English she sounds a bit more abrasive in a kind of funny way?

Weiss

Banned
Why does the story get so awful in the second half?

Oh no, Welkin. I have kick ass superpowers that can practically win us this war singlehandedly. This is awful! How will I become a perfect submissive waifu now?

sfried

Well, there's no easy to way to do this. There's 3 ways to consider:
- Force the game to use original textures with my tool, and edit various UI textures in the game. I'm working on a tool to make it easier to edit these textures. In my mod, I did this via hex editing (and there's several UI textures I haven't found yet).
- Edit the 360 button icons (or the number icons) the developer created for this port. The annoying thing is that all the textures for these are in the executable. So we'd need a tool to extract and replace those.
- Use a tool which is capable of dumping and replacing textures as they're loaded into memory. Texmod might be compatible with the game. I might be wrong, but I think Durante's GeDoSaTo tool can do this too?
I guess I'll wait until your texture editing tool becomes available. It's less messier that way, and reduces the chance I might actually "break" the game.

Sectus

I think I've got a good selection of units for my squad (minor spoilers for DLC):
http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/25096108685444417/4316410BE9DEB484B4983379A667EB621037022F/

Unfortunately, that doesn't work ingame.

I guess I'll wait until your texture editing tool becomes available. It's less messier that way, and reduces the chance I might actually "break" the game.

The easiest way would probably be to replace the textures in the executable, since the original PS3 textures are all over the place. I dunno if I'll personally create a tool for replacing those textures though. Anyway, I'll post whatever I make in this thread.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Chapter 5 done, had an easier time with this one than with 4 since I'm getting more acquainted with the mechanics.

Had Freesia swiftly killing the enemy soldiers at the northern path while Alicia and the Edelweiss cut through south. After I got the Edelweiss inside the enemy camp (and took care of the anti-tank unit on the hill with a single cannon shot), I used the tank as cover so Freesia could cross from the side entrance without dying by rounds from the enemy tank, then had her surprise kill the soldiers behind the sheds and complete the mission by occupying the base camp.

I tried to do something interesting with Marina and Jann, but due to the layout of the area I didn't manage to maneuver them decently. Next time.

Going to leave chapter 6 for tomorrow, I've been playing Rogue Legacy on the side and I'll have to stop for today. :(

edit: forgot to mention that when my tank
arrived at the enemy's base camp I had to make it shoot the piled wood next to one of the sheds to open way for Freesia. Without breaking obstacles you can't have stealth access through that way.
I wasn't even sure if that was possible,
at first I tried having Freesia open the way by shooting some crates herself to no avail, haha.

Oh no, Welkin. I have kick ass superpowers that can practically win us this war singlehandedly. This is awful! How will I become a perfect submissive waifu now?
maybe because shes scared and confused and doesnt know who or what she is anymore, and she went an an unwilling killing spree when first awakening. At least I think thats what happened when she first awoke, but I havent gotten back there yet

xBladeM6x

Chapter 11... them feels
Just finished, I know what you mean.

tumblr_inline_mzfo81gWvI1swf6x8.gif

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Interesting you mention that.

In the awful anime adaptation, Alicia is portrayed as a typical tsundere. The first few episodes are her going "Welkin, this fucking guy, such an idiot what is wrong with him WHY DO I HAVE TO WORK WITH HIM" and it's mildly entertaining.

Also it's been a while since I've played the Japanese track version of VC. I just noticed Alicia seems a lot more... Kinder and speaks more softly in the Japanese audio, but in English she sounds a bit more abrasive in a kind of funny way?

Atleast in the anime though, they portrayed Welkin's actual reaction to that certain event. In the game they just skip over it which was really stupid and immersion breaking.

So they balance out dumbass heavy handed tsundere archetype and forced love triangle with no reaction to that event.

Its called "good drama" sir.

Atleast in the anime though, they portrayed Welkin's actual reaction to that certain event. In the game they just skip over it which was really stupid and immersion breaking.

So they balance out dumbass heavy handed tsundere archetype and forced love triangle with no reaction to that event.

For all the shit that the VC anime adaption got, I think that it's also gets too much flak for a clear attempt to add more "humanity" and emotion to the overall VC story. Their mistake, was amplifying the flaws as well, as well as unnecessary changes for what was presumably to 'spice up the drama."

Eg. part of me can understand why they made Alicia a bit more hostile to Welkin at the get-go and added some friction to her character relationship with Welkin, as it would make their relationship development more progressive from-moment-to-monet instead of the 'mostly-smooth-sailing' that the game had.

However, the approach they went with
heavy handed tsundere, forced love triangle
was a terrible approach.

Vashzaron

Chapter 14 spoilers. Guise pls help, I'm dying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcd17CE3yM4

From laughter looool.

Trying some model / animation swaps as you can see in the video. Tried to get Welkin using a Lance with the appropiate animations there.

Meanwhile Alicia retains all her Valkyria animations, including the slower than a tank walk but still the same travel distance. What I'm trying to accomplish with her would be better done with Save / Memory editing I think but I lack skills to do that there... would be great if someone could do that. ;)

Hikami

That chapter 7 mission took me almost an hour to beat.. finally got the hang of it after the 3rd death though lol.
Game is still great anyways, I'm usually more of a story person rather than gameplay but, the gameplay in this is just too good. Having a lot of fun so far.

ShadiWulf

Okay so with the advice given earlier in this topic i turned off in game vsync and set "Wait for Vertical Refresh" to always on in AMD catalyst. Framerate seems much smoother, but the vsync doesn't seem to be working. Getting a ton of screen tear.

Edit: Downloaded a program called RadeonPro and forced Vsync through that. Now things are looking great.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
For all the shit that the VC anime adaption got, I think that it's also gets too much flak for a clear attempt to add more "humanity" and emotion to the overall VC story. Their mistake, was amplifying the flaws as well, as well as unnecessary changes for what was presumably to 'spice up the drama."

Eg. part of me can understand why they made Alicia a bit more hostile to Welkin at the get-go and added some friction to her character relationship with Welkin, as it would make their relationship development more progressive from-moment-to-monet instead of the 'mostly-smooth-sailing' that the game had.

However, the approach they went with
heavy handed tsundere, forced love triangle
was a terrible approach.

I agree. I see what they were trying to do with it...cause after all the game is still mostly about the combat and gameplay systems, but it wasn't executed that well at all. It just came off annoying a lot of the time.

From laughter looool.

Trying some model / animation swaps as you can see in the video. Tried to get Welkin using a Lance with the appropiate animations there.

Meanwhile Alicia retains all her Valkyria animations, including the slower than a tank walk but still the same travel distance. What I'm trying to accomplish with her would be better done with Save / Memory editing I think but I lack skills to do that there... would be great if someone could do that. ;)

What the hell is going on there lol.

From laughter looool.

When model replacement goes horribly wrong.

--

Finished chapter 7. Still a pain in the ass but I managed. :)

Vashzaron

By the way doing that I guess you would be able to "play" as Imperial Units, including Selvaria. With simple file swaping if you take the extra step with swaping voice, icons, etc too.

But again I think that would be better handled with Memory or Save editing and just swap to have the "real" unit, just dunno how to do that myself.

Edit: Scratch Selvaria, messed up gun animations even if equiped with (model swaped) Scout Ruhm....... real unit / weapons required.

I gotta stop being so cautious. Orders, single units taking multiple turns, and AP-related hijinx are a go from expierience, but the fear of an Engy or a Scout getting globaled has me shook. Then TANK and it's for naught.

"i want to be a bridge"

Rosie and Largo were right and wrong.

By the way doing that I guess you would be able to "play" as Imperial Units, including Selvaria. With simple file swaping if you take the extra step with swaping voice, icons, etc too.

But again I think that would be better handled with Memory or Save editing and just swap to have the "real" unit, just dunno how to do that myself.

God I wonder if it would be possible to do this and somebody hack the campaign so you could play as the Imperials in the story mode.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Holy shit: Chapter 8.

Ty the Immortal
. I forgot how tough this is to do with the limited funds you have.

Since I'm playing on a toaster I first went to the Edy detachment DLC to test performance and every single time Jann and Marina look like this:

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm scared to actually start the game right now since I don't know how many other characters could be affected. It's really annoying since besides this the game is actually running ok.

Fireblend

Banned
Just finished chapter 5. I guess I might be doing something right, because despite getting Rank C, I had a way better time than with chapter 4. Also, I have now learned to love engineers. Holy shit are they useful, I kinda feel bad I had neglected to use them previously.

Also, it kinda frustrates me that I can only play one chapter a day, I freaking love this game and wish I had more time to play it, but at least I'm progressing
KuGsj.gif

bonercop

Yeah, it gets pretty bad.
I like how no one ever addressees the literally tens of thousands of people selveria murdered because she's a ~*tragic*~ figure.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Well, that was easier than I expected.

Bait the scout out slightly. Two shot him. Ty runs to the right. Bring Alica and Welkin up to SURPRISE GARAND him to death.

Should've gotten it when it was going for $15ish :V

Can still get 20% off on GMG, which is almost the same? Not sure how much it is but it's 20euros so I wanna say it's 20$ too, with 20% off that's 16, only like 2$ more than it was during the VIP thing.

Fireblend

Banned
Do people not know of the buy/sell/trade thread over at the community forum? You can get this game for as low as $12 from a couple of very helpful GAFfers over there.

Knurek

You're insane; the main theme is pretty much tied for his best work. :(

Off the top of my head, I prefer opoona (what little of it he wrote), Legaia DualSaga and Breath of Fire V Dragon Quarter.

Oh, and Hans is almost enough to drop the game for me. Almost. Who ever thought this was a good idea?

I like how no one ever addressees the literally tens of thousands of people selveria murdered because she's a ~*tragic*~ figure.
this seems to be common thing in anime and japanese storytelling. Forgiving the villain or something. Im not going to bring up any examples but one is bugging me. Selvaria didnt really bug me though, she killed people in war, some inhumane tactics, but I thought her backstory was good enough to feel sorry for her. I honestly really like Selvaria

ok, I am going to list an example, P4AU spoilers
this shitty fucking thing at the end where they are like, we felt some trust with Adachi. Really, the dude that murdered your best friends love and an innocent reporter in a fit of lust

Always felt like it went off the rails after the
Alicia reveal
. But at that point the maps and gameplay were so awesome I was just waiting for the cutscenes to end so I could get to the next battle.

Top Bottom