• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

Nyoro SF

So I faced against the dreaded Chapter 7, but it only took me until my 3rd try to beat it. Luckily
Selvaria doesn't chase down your team, she just stands by the Batomys. Two squadmates died but I didn't care for them. It was extremely annoying that you could only attack when Batomys fired and you couldn't bait it into using its main cannon.

On my 2nd attempt, picking a Sniper over a Scout was the deciding factor in me failing the mission.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I also got one or two KOs due to the interception fire from the
train
but I suspect the ridiculous amount of damage is due to the 60 fps bug.

So, is Sega gonna patch that? Surely that isn't something they intended with these higher framerates and should be fixable, yeah?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm a bit surprised the enemy AI never seems to go out of the way to finish off people. The just have to walk over a few feet to pick up the body.

Chariot

So, is Sega gonna patch that? Surely that isn't something they intended with these higher framerates and should be fixable, yeah?
SEGA should give 30 fps the same amount of damage as 60fps. The deadlier interception fire is a good fix. You really shouldn't run near someone with a machinegun or into someone with a machinegun.
I'm a bit surprised the enemy AI never seems to go out of the way to finish off people. The just have to walk over a few feet to pick up the body.
Even the Imps have more empathy than the player.

Something I've noticed, but I don't think the AI picks the same character more than twice during their turn. Seems pretty abusable imo.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Just finished chapter 5 (I don't get a lot of PC time). This really is my type of game. Like XCOM with a little action. Moving and aiming makes me feel more in control, but when I miss with a sniper shot that should've been an easy kill I feel like I'm fighting sectoids again. They struck a great balance between strategy and action.

The only thing that's not doing much for me is the story. I'm just not into it yet, which makes the amount of cutscene episodes kind of frustrating. I don't have much time to sit down and play games at home, so I'm more fond of games that adance the plot through gameplay rather than extended cutscenes. Just a personal preference. If I had more time, I'd probably be fine with it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SEGA should give 30 fps the same amount of damage as 60fps. The deadlier interception fire is a good fix. You really shouldn't run near someone with a machinegun or into someone with a machinegun.Even the Imps have more empathy than the player.

Sure. But against the
train?
Trying to reach
the camp and Bridge to halt the reinforcements and start the script for Zaka to place the bomb
is nearly suicide if you're trying to "rush through" with an infantry with that "bug" there.

Trouble is, the rest of them close after you kill one, so you then have to persuade the tank to fire again in order to get them to come out, so you can't just kill all of them on one turn.

Lancer's is the same thing, isn't it? Destroy one with Lancers, you suddenly can't destroy the others. You have to wait until the "script" forwards with the walls in the area you blow down to do that again.

Fucking Chapter 7.

Selvaria can literally go in and kill 2 units in one turn. And she actually walks up to the bodies. This is worse than the Black Knight in Fire Emblem PoR.

Durante

It really depends on the difficulty of whatever you are playing. During the story missions, it usually only picks the same character twice (though I've seen 3 times when it only has few units left).

During harder skirmishes or the challenge missions it will pick the same unit 3 times, and do stuff like run up a scout to your people and shoot them 3 times. It's a lot more aggressive/dangerous in those.

Ending spoilers
Once the engine is down, why don't they just shoot and kill Max? The Faldio suicide jump is so forced. Or did they just want their ROTJ homage?

Chariot

Sure. But against the
train?
Trying to reach
the camp and Bridge to halt the reinforcements and start the script for Zaka to place the bomb
is nearly suicide if you're trying to "rush through" with an infantry with that "bug" there.
I made it fine. Sure, I got a D in this mission, mostly because I actually managed to pull it of in one run, which gave me a lot of surprises
I lost a soldier when I tried to take the northwest camp and didn't know that thing actually had a machinegun. But other than that I just looked where the train was located at the moment and used walls and stones to cover my troops while they advanced through the last camp. When in doubt use an order like Defense or Caution.

--

Dat feel when you only need one more shot, but you're out of points for this round. :(
Still got an A, but felt bad, real bad.
Also I would be rampaging if this would've gotten me a lower rank.

dawid

Brigette, Alicia and a few other characters appears a lot in the pre-rendered cutscenes, but keeping them alive isn't a requirement in the missions. How does the game deal with that if they die in battle?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I had remembered that some missions ended completely resulting in a game over after a story character capture/"death" or is that incorrect?

dawid

Yeah.

Story characters will never die in gameplay.

Hm ok. So that means there's no real reason to revive them when they go down in battle? Unless you wanna redeploy em in the same battle.

Feels like a good enough reason to pick them over other squad members.

Hm ok. So that means there's no real reason to revive them when they go down in battle? Unless you wanna redeploy em in the same battle.

Story characters have the gold medal icon, meaning that you'll always want to bring them because they give you more CP.

KiraFA37

Story characters are also commanders who give you an extra CP when deployed. (Welkin, Alicia, Largo and Rosie)

So I finally had time to try out 4k for this game and man is it beautiful and 60FPS is an amazing bonus.

I do find it a bit distracting going from a cut-scene to game-play, one minute it is jaggy mess and then when game-play kicks in it's like a beautiful jaggy-free canvas.

Just don't expect too much :/

PPSSPP?
In regards to story or gameplay? I've only played about an hour so far and it seems largely the same, aside from the new class and the whole "next area" thing going on in the battlefields.

As for PPSSPP, never knew it existed. Thanks for the heads up!

billsmugs

Finally finished the game yesterday, and went ahead and picked up VC2 for Vita immediately after.

Too bad I can't play VC3 ever :(

PPSSPP works really well in high resolution with upscaled textures for VC3 (except for the brief "fade in from sepia" at the start of every chapter which runs weirdly slowly, but that's just a few seconds).

You don't even need to have a PSP, since the emulator doesn't need a BIOS dump and you can get the VC3 .iso from the (Japanese) PSN store using Media Go on your PC (plus some decryption tools to extract the .iso from the downloaded file).

In regards to story or gameplay? I've only played about an hour so far and it seems largely the same, aside from the new class and the whole "next area" thing going on in the battlefields.

Story. It has some strong points ( and aspects it does things better than VC1 eg. individual character development), but in general, it feels more juvenile than VC1, which wasn't exactly the most serious war story in the first place.

Gameplay... well, it's a bit more repetitive due to larger amounts of recycled assets, and your 'next area' structure, so to speak. It's a bit more grindy too. With that being said, VC2 still delivers the core gameplay experience.

Chariot

1024x576.resizedimage

Feels so damn good. Now I only need to play the DLCs, the reports and improve my statistics [possible spoilers!]. I still don't have ultra classes either. Time to create the murder machines.

Durante

Story, mostly, but there are also 3 pretty significant gameplay issues:
- Asset reuse. One of the best things in VC1 is that all the missions are pretty unique. Not so in 2.
- Grindy character progression system, which further reinforces the above.
- Tiny maps with few units per map.

- Asset reuse. One of the best things in VC1 is that all the missions are pretty unique. Not so in 2.

Not suprising for PSP games due to limited storage space as most companies wanted to fit into 900 MB allowed by single sided UMD.

- Grindy character progression system, which further reinforces the above.

I don't understand how people were forced to grind there. I've finished nearly every mission with A rating and grind was minimal (less than 10 missions total). You didn't even need to have perfect team to finish story mode.

- Tiny maps with few units per map.

Again PSP limitation.

Durante

Yeah, the fact that these gameplay regressions were forced by the stupid decision to go PSP is not new to me. Doesn't make it any better though.

Chariot

Not suprising for PSP games due to limited storage space as most companies wanted to fit into 900 MB allowed by single sided UMD.

I don't understand how people were forced to grind there. I've finished nearly every mission with A rating and grind was minimal (less than 10 missions total). You didn't even need to have perfect team to finish story mode.

Again PSP limitation.
It doesn't matter why it is, just that it is. While it is of course ok in the context of an PSP game, it diminish the fun for the player, especially on the PC and the time. As I said numerous times, I own it both for the PSP and the Vita and it looks already hideous on the Vita screen (minus the dialog portraits, that are drawn anime pictures, those are the only things that does not go old of course). I personally don't mind the splittered maps, it adds an interesting new level of thinking, but it still looks ugly.

Blame the people who haven't bought VC1 then. Because VC2 on ps3 wasn't happing with sales it had.

I can maybe sort of perhaps understand why Sega would move the series to PSP--possibly better sales in Japan and cheaper to make (maybe? but the cost of porting the engine to PSP...). But it was a bad decision. The PSP was dying in the West, so whatever sales VC1 had in other territories would be mostly absent, and Japan sales for the sequels did not improve very much, if at all:

Valkyria Chronicles 141,589
Valkyria Chronicles (PlayStation 3 The Best) 95,667
Valkyria Chronicles 2: Gallia Military Academy 153,487
Valkyria Chronicles II (Sega the Best) 4,455
Valkyria Chronicles 3 Sega 152,659
Valkyria Chronicles 3: Extra Edition Sega 8,273

Top Bottom