• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles PC |OT| May the bloodline live forever

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
If you're getting killed by popping-in Shocktroopers, that's your problem.

The lean keys exist for a reason.

There's no lean on controller?

And you mean to tell me I should be able to figure out there was a Shocktrooper behind a wall in a camp coming around a blind corner, really?

I really really doubt that when From Software was creating/testing/iterating Dark Souls 2 on their PC's that they had a 30FPS cap on. Also the framerate wildly fluctuates on the console versions, and during any of those fluctuations the weapon wear down (and the other things affected by framerate) would be different. I think Dark Souls 2 at 60FPS was the intended game (especially considering the 360 version isn't even limited to 30FPS).

[Citation needed]

I think that's kind of the point of ambushing

Yes... but when you can see them, sure.

I do however hate enemies appearing out of thin air. I dislike the first dlc mission because of this and some other issues

So you agree with me that not being able to see an enemy around a corner or coming up on you and then suddenly BAM they pop-in on you and are in interception range to where you CAN'T even react without eating 5 bullets in aim mode (dropping from 300 to 150-200 quickly) is a bit bullshit?

Well blow me down, that's what I'm getting at. If the game was properly rebalanced for this to be a SURPRISE! But you could at least get away from the ambush by reacting to these moments and knowing they were there sooner, I wouldn't have an issue with the faster/higher damage rate.

Honestly if I was to rebalance the game, I'd:

-Remove the turn-taking score system.
-Half the Scouts AP. Give it to the Shocktroopers, they were supposed to be the "front-line" units and should be the ones taking interception fire and clearing areas. Not Scouts "rushing" maps quickly.
-Snipers have less of a "dice-roll" in their firing by tightening their initial and max cones by like 2-5%
-Lancers have a bit longer range if "rocket drop" could be accounted instead of them being a straight trajectory. Lower their health slightly to be longer range support dudes that shouldn't rush around a tank to SURPRISE ROCKET them in the back.
-Scouts gain a binocular (IIRC this is in VC2/3?) where they can use aiming mode to "sight enemies" at a further range to help the Shocktroopers know where units are on the map and take them out. Binoculars don't take up a turn so you don't need more than 1-2 Scouts on a map to cover units while also giving the Scout the ability to fire on units that are close to them in the actual map.

lol. Apropos not knowing,. I hit the The Woodland Snare (Pt.1) in my second playthrough and wondered why I only got a B despite not wasting any turn.
Turns out I missed the flowers. I thought I played the game with my brain on, apparently not.
I just played that chapter last night, but what's the deal
with what flowers
?

And you mean to tell me I should be able to figure out there was a Shocktrooper behind a wall in a camp coming around a blind corner, really?

I think the point is that you should be exceedingly careful going around a sharp corner, in what is likely hostile territory. Its clearly a good place to ambush you, so you should be more careful about sending in a scout when we all know they can't take much punishment. A Shocktrooper is a much better idea, since they can take hits and deal them back.

Don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, but at the same time you should be adapting tactics to the situation. Scouts are meant to scout, but you need to be aware of possible dangers before sending them out to do their jobs.

TheSeks

Don't get me wrong, I see where you are coming from, but at the same time you should be adapting tactics to the situation. Scouts are meant to scout, but you need to be aware of possible dangers before sending them out to do their jobs.

And if they're job is to give me this information sooner at longer ranges (the blind corner SURPRISE not withstanding) to where I have 3-4 units popping in at a range that clearly should've been seen before, but they aren't?

I mean that unit popping in and interception fire within seconds shit is what makes me hate the "higher damage" FPS bug more than anything. So long as I had the ability to know they were there before they fired, I wouldn't be so sore about it. It's not so much "being careful/your fault" so much as the game not giving me that information until they're right on top of me now and then.

[Citation needed]

your free to ask from software whether or not they played with a 30fps cap (which isn't even what the console versions run at anyway, they fluctuate a ton) when making the game or not.

Sega should definitely try fixing this VC issue though. For the time being I will just take it as a challenge I guess.

Edit: Although I wouldn't be surprised if changing framerate dependent code to use delta time is beyond the scope of this port.

And if they're job is to give me this information sooner at longer ranges (the blind corner SURPRISE not withstanding) to where I have 3-4 units popping in at a range that clearly should've been seen before, but they aren't?

I mean that unit popping in and interception fire within seconds shit is what makes me hate the "higher damage" FPS bug more than anything. So long as I the ability to know they were there before they fired, I wouldn't be so sore about it.

If I understand correctly, you mean something like enemies are spawning within your scouts detection range (enemies not in ambush, such as hiding in grass or behind corners, etc) and murdering you. In that case, it isn't really a problem with intersection fire, but a technical issue with the game not loading the enemies early enough. Though I don't think I've ever heard or seen this kind of problem, but to be fair I'm just starting Chapter 7 on PC, and my memory of the PS3 version is a bit rusty.

Was there any time enemies would just pop up (not counting reinforcements, of course)?

Falk

that puzzling face
-Half the Scouts AP. Give it to the Shocktroopers, they were supposed to be the "front-line" units and should be the ones taking interception fire and clearing areas. Not Scouts "rushing" maps quickly.

Because current scouts weren't broken enough

TheSeks

If I understand correctly, you mean something like enemies are spawning within your scouts detection range (enemies not in ambush, such as hiding in grass or behind corners, etc) and murdering you. In that case, it isn't really a problem with intersection fire, but a technical issue with the game not loading the enemies early enough. Though I don't think I've ever heard or seen this kind of problem, but to be fair I'm just starting Chapter 7 on PC, and my memory of the PS3 version is a bit rusty.

Was there any time enemies would just pop up (not counting reinforcements, of course)?

Yeah, sometimes on PS3. But the damage rate on PS3 made it a "oh, there's an enemy there *backs away*" issue more than a "OHSHITTHERESANENEM--*dead*" issue.

Higher damage wouldn't be an issue if the game was built for it. IMO, it isn't because the Scouts don't provide the heads up at times to where ambushes can happen unless you want to walk around corners using the "lean" (seriously, where is that on a controller and why doesn't the game give you that information?) command in aiming mode while inching around the corner for the scouts detection to finally pop some enemies in.

Yeah, sometimes on PS3. But the damage rate on PS3 made it a "oh, there's an enemy there *backs away*" issue more than a "OHSHITTHERESANENEM--*dead*" issue.

Higher damage wouldn't be an issue if the game was built for it. IMO, it isn't because the Scouts don't provide the heads up at times to where ambushes can happen unless you want to walk around corners using the "lean" (seriously, where is that on a controller and why doesn't the game give you that information?) command in aiming mode while inching around the corner for the scouts detection to finally pop some enemies in.

Honestly, I didn't even know about leaning, even though I knew you could switch hands when firing (which I never used anyways).

I see your issue with the new interception fire now. That would be quite unfair, though I haven't heard anyone else complain about enemy pop in, so I'm not sure if its an issue for everyone or just for some people. I guess I'll find out if it happens to me.

TheSeks

I don't think it's so much "pop-in" but "wonky Scout detection hiding enemies that would clearly be seen by the camera." Again: If the game was built for it by giving you a clear heads up; I wouldn't be sore about it. But there's times where you can pan a camera around a corner and sometimes the game won't show you the enemy that is there. You go "oh, cool, clear." Only to run around the corner and BAM suddenly the "Scout Detector" pops-off and "yep, there's an enemy there. *BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM BLAM*."

Anyway, it's only a sore point for me with the bug. I still like the game and completed it on PS3 but coming back after six years the "blind spot enemies" is just annoying with a faster reaction/higher damage rate.

arit

9x9Ofsa.jpg

But yeah, they could have given an in-game explanation.

Almighty

Well I guess the reaction fire being more deadly then I remember wasn't just me misremembering. Personally I like this bug as it has actually made shock troopers worth something since my scouts now get torn to pieces.

Chariot

Well blow me a totally missed that little detail.
Yeah, it's not explained, until you approach one of the flowers and actively activate a event with spacebar. Then you have to have Welking and Alicia both next to the flower to heal her. There are three flowers to be find.

TheSeks

But yeah, they could have given an in-game explanation.

Blow me down. PS3 version never had that in the manual anywhere AFAIK nor was it in the options or somewhere known.

Miker

I had a tough time on Chapter 5 (Kloden Wildwood) due to the tank at the end. I'm still struggling with optimal use of shocktroopers and lancers due to their awful AP, and they never end up making it to the front lines. I'd appreciate some sort of APC-like unit, but that's speaking as an Advance Wars fan.

Also, what's everybody's opinion on mid-operation saving? As a FE vet, I feel like it's cheating, but some of these fights go on forever, and the slow animations and zoom in/out transitions don't help. I think I'll try and limit myself to one, maybe two saves per operation, unless it gets a hell of a lot harder later.

Jisgsaw

Ok, so the Chapter 14 fight is utter BS. Even more so than that in Ch 7, that already was pretty bad.
Did anyone managed it on the first try?

xBladeM6x

Ok, so the Chapter 14 fight is utter BS. Even more so than that in Ch 7, that already was pretty bad.

Doubt it. However it's just all about your first 2 turns, and how you position your tanks. Don't capture the flag on turn 1. Just makes things more difficult.

Koren

Scouts rushing everywhere is pretty much the idea of the "scouts". That's their ONLY advantage of shocks, and if the shocks get the range, scouts are useless, and shocks are even more OP than scouts currently are (shocks can easily kill 3-4 enemies in a single action, and are far better in defense turns).

The main issue with scouts is that their defense is a bit too high (thus you attack with them from the front instead of actual scouting) and they kill ennemies too easily. You probably shouldn't be able to attack efficiently the enemy with a pair of scouts only, especially heavy enemy troops. But I don't think the range is the real issue here.

TheSeks

Scouts rushing everywhere is pretty much the idea of the "scouts". That's their ONLY advantage of shocks, and if the shocks get the range, scouts are useless, and shocks are even more OP than scouts currently are (shocks can easily kill 3-4 enemies in a single action, and are far better in defense turns).

The main issue with scouts is that their defense is a bit too high (thus you attack with them from the front instead of actual scouting) and they kill ennemies too easily. You probably shouldn't be able to attack efficiently the enemy with a pair of scouts only, especially heavy enemy troops. But I don't think the range is the real issue here.

Scouts should be more "support" than "assault." I think them having the M1 Garand is a problem with their current AP/movement range more than the Shocktrooper's "high damage." If we were going to go completely crazy, I'd nerf the Shocktrooper's damage on the basis they have higher resistance to cross-fire, to where they're pushing up on the front-lines while Scouts give intel (or Snipers do, probably remove Scouts in general?) from mid-long range with binocs. Maybe make the Binocs do a Battlefield-like "spot"-callout on an enemy (until they move/get into some cover that conceals them?) for one command point/action taken instead of it being an in-and-out ability.

I haven't had much of a chance to play the game due to circumstances (I've literally only beaten the prologue mission), but there's something I really need to know:
Is there anyway to get the game to use the PS3 button prompts? I've heard they're buried in the game and I'd like to use them, since my Direct Input gamepad is set up as a PS3 controller and it's easier to understand "Press right bumper" than "Press button 06" or whatever it is on my controller.

DJ_Lae

Blow me down. PS3 version never had that in the manual anywhere AFAIK nor was it in the options or somewhere known.

I feel like an idiot - I've played through the PS3 version two or three times and I didn't know you could lean either.

Damn.

Ch 14 is the one with infinite waves on top and bottom? I rushed the southern tank with my two tanks + lancer, killed it quickly, and stationed the tanks near the spawning point. Reaction fire pinned down the following waves, and one mecanic hiding behind was enough to keep both tanks healthy. As for the northern tank, it was bascially infantry and sniper duel for about 8 turns, until the tank started trying to climb the slope. I nailed it with a pair of lancers and a mecanic to reload them.

Chariot

I had a tough time on Chapter 5 (Kloden Wildwood) due to the tank at the end. I'm still struggling with optimal use of shocktroopers and lancers due to their awful AP, and they never end up making it to the front lines. I'd appreciate some sort of APC-like unit, but that's speaking as an Advance Wars fan.

Also, what's everybody's opinion on mid-operation saving? As a FE vet, I feel like it's cheating, but some of these fights go on forever, and the slow animations and zoom in/out transitions don't help. I think I'll try and limit myself to one, maybe two saves per operation, unless it gets a hell of a lot harder later.
I always saved midgame to slowly improve my tactics (since my initial one seldom works). Why would I want to play everything from the beginning again, if I most likely do the same thing again anyways? Plus yeah, some dialogs are a bit annoying if you have to repeat them over and over (i started to save midbattle beginning with chapter 7 for that exact reason).

I don't think so. While one can assume that something is up, nobody could guess WHAT is happening. I think it was a shit mission, because you can't really beat it well when you don't know what happens and can abuse it hard, if you do.

I haven't had much of a chance to play the game due to circumstances (I've literally only beaten the prologue mission), but there's something I really need to know:
Is there anyway to get the game to use the PS3 button prompts? I've heard they're buried in the game and I'd like to use them, since my Direct Input gamepad is set up as a PS3 controller and it's easier to understand "Press right bumper" than "Press button 06" or whatever it is on my controller.

Yessir. Check the first post, it has a link to all of the mods. Or just click here.

Durante

-Half the Scouts AP. Give it to the Shocktroopers, they were supposed to be the "front-line" units and should be the ones taking interception fire and clearing areas.
This is a terrible idea. The whole point of scouts is that they have a lot of AP, and your idea to make up for it doesn't sound like it has nearly enough utility.

Scouts should be more "support" than "assault."
I agree, but I feel the increased interception fire accomplishes exactly that.

Just don't send scouts out running willy-nilly into situations where there could be significant interception. I also got Alicia killed a few times before adapting, but I still think the game's much better for it.

patapuf

Scouts should be more "support" than "assault." I think them having the M1 Garand is a problem with their current AP/movement range more than the Shocktrooper's "high damage." If we were going to go completely crazy, I'd nerf the Shocktrooper's damage on the basis they have higher resistance to cross-fire, to where they're pushing up on the front-lines while Scouts give intel (or Snipers do, probably remove Scouts in general?) from mid-long range with binocs. Maybe make the Binocs do a Battlefield-like "spot"-callout on an enemy (until they move/get into some cover that conceals them?) for one command point/action taken instead of it being an in-and-out ability.

With your change we'd have scouts with short movement range and mediocre damage at best, making them useless since they can't scout (and binoculars don't solve that problem when there isn't an open field).

we'd also have schocktroopers with a lot of AP that can take a punch but don't do much damage either. That'd make their role effectively what scouts are now, exept they'd have worse range because of their weapons.

So, we'd still have rushing a single unit into enemy territory as primary tactic exept now one of the classes would be useless.

One Question, where are the mods!?

giphy.gif

I have my eyes everywhere but I don't find any yet. Costume mods! Texture mods! Difficulty mods! Give me the mods!

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually waiting on a proof of concept that the audio assets can be replaced before I sink any more time into my side of things D:

arit

At least the German one had it, though only at the control scheme.

You can request reinforcements at captured bases, that's at least something

I have no self control, at least the PS3 version had long load times that minimized the safe abuse. Though on 10.2 Largo took an elevator to hell and since it was to the end of the mission, I would have been really pissed if I didn't have a save.

Sectus

I played through the PS3 version without ever mid-level saving, and I'm doing the same thing on PC (up to chapter 14 so far). I think it's a more fun to play the game. But yeah, missions are long, and it does make the game more of a time commitment.

Durante

Since we are discussing balancing ideas, I have a new one:
Every additional order stacked on a unit after the first one costs an extra CP. So, if a unit already is under the effect of 2 orders, and you want to add another one which costs 2 CP, it will actually cost 4 CP. A bit convoluted, but I think it would work pretty well.

Also, I don't think I ever used the "Caution" order on PS3, and now it's one of my favourite tools.

I had a tough time on Chapter 5 (Kloden Wildwood) due to the tank at the end. I'm still struggling with optimal use of shocktroopers and lancers due to their awful AP, and they never end up making it to the front lines.
If you aren't already doing this, it's generally a good idea to deploy most units situationally, where you need them, rather than running them forward. Only deploy what you absolutely need initially, so that you have slots free for later camps.

Miker

I played through the PS3 version without ever mid-level saving, and I'm doing the same thing on PC (up to chapter 14 so far). I think it's a more fun to play the game. But yeah, missions are long, and it does make the game more of a time commitment.

Yeah, I played that way in XCOM, and I think it ended up being a better experience. The missions in VC, as far as I can tell, go on for considerably longer, so I think I'll have to end up saving mid-operation more than a few times. It's really the speed of the animations that's driving me to save, because in Fire Emblem, with animations off, the game was fast enough that I didn't mind doing the same thing repeatedly.

If you aren't already doing this, it's generally a good idea to deploy most units situationally, where you need them, rather than running them forward. Only deploy what you absolutely need initially, so that you have slots free for later camps.

Thanks for the advice! For some reason I never thought of this, but this makes a ton of sense.

xBladeM6x

If there's one thing that VC2 did better, it's that when you grenade an enemy, you could place the grenade behind them and actually blast them out of a flag capture zone.

So how long before we stop using spoiler tags?

I am trying to figure out cool ways to use shamrock. How mainly depends on the Mission. BTW, are R&D Upgrades for tanks/weapons tied only to Story advancement?
If there's one thing that VC2 did better, it's that when you grenade an enemy, you could place the grenade behind them and actually blast them out of a flag capture zone.

Pretty sure you can do that in VC1. At least, I think I have.

Sectus

Since we are discussing balancing ideas, I have a new one:
Every additional order stacked on a unit after the first one costs an extra CP. So, if a unit already is under the effect of 2 orders, and you want to add another one which costs 2 CP, it will actually cost 4 CP. A bit convoluted, but I think it would work pretty well.

Also, I don't think I ever used the "Caution" order on PS3, and now it's one of my favourite tools.

I think the game would be more balanced with most orders made twice as expensive. Many of them feel like cheating.

I wish the game had difficulty levels implemented, I feel like it would have been a good opportunity to balance it some more. I wouldn't mind the game becoming more difficult in certain ways.

Top Bottom