• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Weenerz

Banned
Ferrio said:
Dear Valve: Next time you wanna do this... just... don't.

Do what? Give the community a chance to release the game early? Yes, please don't do that Valve. How dare you give us discounts on a bunch of indie games. Jerks.

Ferrio

Banned
Weenerz said:
Do what? Give the community a chance to release the game early? Yes, please don't do that Valve. How dare you give us discounts on a bunch of indie games. Jerks.

Oh come on, it's like a cocktease with no fullfillment.

We get it maybe a day early, but in the meantime people are foaming at the mouth x100 more than they were before and getting people's hopes up.

And yes I would of greatly appreciated it the original date and not hyped up this prerelease

1. I don't think a day early really is all that much.
2. People wouldn't be in a frenzy right now and would of been a lot more patient.
3. I took work off tuesday for this, changing the date kinda fucked me on that.

And valve doing a sale on indie games?!?!?! How original of them! Haven't seen them do that before!!

Kuga

This "early release" business is eroding more goodwill than a Tuesday release ever would have. It's just good advice.

Ferrio said:
Oh come on, it's like a cocktease with no fullfillment.

We get it maybe a day early, but in the meantime people are foaming at the mouth x100 more than they were before and getting people's hopes up.

And yes I would of greatly appreciated it the original date and not hyped up this prerelease

1. I don't think a day early really is all that much.
2. People wouldn't be in a frenzy right now and would of been a lot more patient.
3. I took work off tuesday for this, changing the date kinda fucked me on that.
How does any of this stop you from playing the game on Tuesday?

Arozay

Well other than the 4 games I originally had in the Potato pack I don't think I'll be touching the others after this.

The Portal 2 themed content was a good touch (except despite being the best game in the pack Super Meat Boy had nothing), but the ARG just seemed like there was a handful of people actually playing it and other were just following guides.

Ferrio

Banned
CrookedRain said:
How does any of this stop you from playing the game on Tuesday?

It doesn't, but like i said it's a cocktease and that's the worst part of it. They should of stuck to the original release or defined this early release a lot better so people wouldn't be going off halfcocked and would of had realistic expectations.

Red

Zaro said:
Well other than the 4 games I originally had in the Potato pack I don't think I'll be touching the others after this.

The Portal 2 themed content was a good touch (except despite being the best game in the pack Super Meat Boy had nothing), but the ARG just seemed like there was a handful of people actually playing it and other were just following guides.
To be fair, Super Meat Boy already has portals in it.

Plus there's a level pack related to the ARG, even though it doesn't yield any potatoes.

ElNarez

Banned
Guys. For all we knew, there was no way the game would come out early. Most of you are being a bunch of fucking babies. Unless there's a secret crybaby detector that makes the whole process go faster, you're just going to have to suck it up or do something else with your lives.

Weenerz

Banned
So many entitled people, it's a shame. I think the event is fun and it's not required. If you are that upset that they aren't releasing it earlier than what you wanted, then just stop "helping" and go play something else till Tuesday. I hope the tantrum some people are having doesn't discourage Valve from doing things like this in the future.

KScorp

Since my previous post was the last one of the page, I'm reposting this news to discuss.

ARG Wiki said:
00:26: Some morse code files are discovered on the latest live recording of The Steamcast, all of which spell out "it's not over the others have been compromised" - This is interpreted as meaning that Portal 2 Release (and glados@home) aren't the end of the ARG. The broadcasters claim to not have heard the morse code during the broadcast.

It seems that this unlocking isn't the final phase. There may be more fun/surprises in store yet. (I can only hope they are positive surprises...)

Weenerz

Banned
Ferrio said:
I hope I'm more entitled than the pirate currently playing the game right now, I guess not?

Pirates aren't playing the PC version as it hasn't been released yet on the "scene". Piracy isn't the issue we are discussing, it's the tantrums people are having.

commissar

ElNarez said:
Guys. For all we knew, there was no way the game would come out early. Most of you are being a bunch of fucking babies. Unless there's a secret crybaby detector that makes the whole process go faster, you're just going to have to suck it up or do something else with your lives.
Well there was the whole 19/4/2011/7AM=15/4/2011/9AM clue going on.
Kind of creates an expectation you know.

ElNarez

Banned
Ferrio said:
I hope I'm more entitled than the pirate currently playing the game right now, I guess not?

Well go pirate the fucking game then and stop posting. What are you waiting for? We might as well look at the grass growing for all the good it'll do to us, so go ahead, do something, anything, other than whining and whining and whining.

That is of course unless you actually think there is a chance this thing might actually go somewhere and that we can get the game significantly earlier than expected. But in that case, shut the fuck up and get working.

Mairu

Weenerz said:
So many entitled people, it's a shame. I think the event is fun and it's not required. If you are that upset that they aren't releasing it earlier than what you wanted, then just stop "helping" and go play something else till Tuesday. I hope the tantrum some people are having doesn't discourage Valve from doing things like this in the future.
I agree with this completely. I especially enjoyed the portal levels in The Ball and Bit.Trip Beat. Still working on potatoes, up to 24 now. MAYBE will get the rest tomorrow ;(

Ferrio said:
Has a developer ever released a game early in response to an early leak from piracy? I mean, EVER?

shuyin_

Banned
Weenerz said:
Pirates aren't playing the PC version as it hasn't been released yet on the "scene". Piracy isn't the issue we are discussing, it's the tantrums people are having.
People aren't upset that Valve is giving the chance to release Portal 2 earlier :lol
People are upset by the way this 'chance' implies some 'work' to be done, and more importantly, i personally believe they are upset by the way Valve handled the end of the ARG.

Personally i was upset/frustrated when at the end of the big countdown, they gave us another one. Now i'm cool, though :D

Ferrio

Banned
ElNarez said:
Well go pirate the fucking game then and stop posting. What are you waiting for? We might as well look at the grass growing for all the good it'll do to us, so go ahead, do something, anything, other than whining and whining and whining.

That is of course unless you actually think there is a chance this thing might actually go somewhere and that we can get the game significantly earlier than expected. But in that case, shut the fuck up and get working.

Actually I hope they delay the game a month now.

Weenerz

Banned
jdogmoney said:
Sure is rough playing these video games so that you can play another video game a little early, I tell you what.

Valve shouldn't force us to play video games to release other video games early. It's torture! They tricked us, they promised they would release it Friday and then they didn't!

Jesus. I could repeat this 10 times and you still wouldn't get it. PLAYING THE GAMES DOES NOT MAKE PORTAL COME OUT ANY FASTER. IT DOES NOTHING.

THE ONLY THING BUYING THE POTATO PACK DOES IS SEND STEAM MONEY. IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANY RELEASE DATES.

TheBez

I downloaded the save file for The Ball on the wiki and I can't get it to work. It seem my numbers are the same as the ones already on the document. Should I just leave to downloaded save alone or what?

Kritz

Banned
God's Beard said:
Jesus. I could repeat this 10 times and you still wouldn't get it. PLAYING THE GAMES DOES NOT MAKE PORTAL COME OUT ANY FASTER. IT DOES NOTHING.

THE ONLY THING BUYING THE POTATO PACK DOES IS SEND STEAM MONEY. IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANY RELEASE DATES.

I'm sure if you yell for long enough someone will care

ElNarez

Banned
God's Beard said:

That's a big ol' fucking lie and you know it. Stop repeating it. It won't make it any truer. You liar.

Well, I'm leaving Audiosurf on the rest of the night until I wake up, just going to turn the monitor off. Hopefully it will help. (In addition to adding an absurd number of hours to my time/played counter for it.)

Kritz said:
I'm sure if you yell for long enough someone will care

I keep bringing it up because people are acting like this is some magical charity to support indie games and reward the fans. Why do people feel the need to cover their ears and go "lalalalala I love valve I can't hear you"?

ElNarez said:
That's a big ol' fucking lie and you know it. Stop repeating it. It won't make it any truer. You liar.

I'll admit it's a lie when the main progress bar actually accelerates based on the number of PCs playing the games. This isn't something I made up.

shuyin_

Banned
@jdogmoney and Weenerz:

Come on guys, this is age 10 sarcasm....

And yes, no matter how many people use the "Playing games is work? How dare you!" argument, it still kind of is work especially when someone wants to play Portal 2 and not Rush or Cogs.

Valve is just being manipulative. "You want Portal 2 early? Play these games here."
And you play them. Because you want Portal 2 early.

And please don't say "nobody's making you play them". Valve is making you play them - because they know people want to play Portal 2 earlier, so they manipulate the situation.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God's Beard said:
It also gives money to the makers of the game. It is likely Valve even negated special rates for the sales during the Potato sack to give the developers more.

Owning most of the games, I welcomed a good excuse to actually give them a try, and love the Treasure Hunt Promotion like "Get all the Potatoes and get a prize!" (Hopefully the prize is a Golden Wrench in TF2 or something cool I didn't even think of)

KScorp

God's Beard said:
THE ONLY THING BUYING THE POTATO PACK DOES IS SEND DEVELOPERS MONEY. IT DOES NOT CHANGE ANY RELEASE DATES.

Fixed. And I have no problem with this. If people are buying the pack first and foremost to speed up the release date they need to reevaluate their priorities.

ElNarez said:
I have recieved a call from your dry cleaner. He says his shop burned down because your pants were on fire. Because you're a liar.

I have to admit I laughed out loud at this, regardless of who is right or not.

ElNarez

Banned
God's Beard said:
I keep bringing it up because people are acting like this is some magical charity to support indie games and reward the fans. Why do people feel the need to cover their ears and go "lalalalala I love valve I can't hear you"?

Because your theory has been proven wrong. Meaning that you are lying. Meaning that we should ignore you to keep the discussion at an acceptable intellectual level, since you obviously don't want to shut the fuck up.

I have recieved a call from your dry cleaner. He says his shop burned down because your pants were on fire. Because you're a liar.

ElNarez said:
Because your theory has been proven wrong. Meaning that you are lying. Meaning that we should ignore you to keep the discussion at an acceptable intellectual level, since you obviously don't want to shut the fuck up.

I don't see anywhere that it was proven wrong. I'd like to see.

Feep

Banned
God's Beard said:
How is this not good for the indie game devs?

How is this not good for the gamers, who get to play Portal 2 a day or two earlier than before?

If Portal 2 ends up being released at 9 AM on the 19th, I'll shut up. But that's not going to happen, and you know it.

Kritz

Banned
God's Beard said:

I think people are more entertained by the spectacle of this train-wreck than the mechanics behind the whole thing. As much as they're running around yelling at these bars and collecting .jpeg vegetables, is as much as I think they are excited by the event rather than disillusioned by it.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
KScorp said:
Was the morse code in The Steamcast stream mentioned yet? It's been decoded as "it's not over the others have been compromised". Folks at ARG wiki are interpreting it as "GLaDOS@Home and the release of Portal 2 aren't the end of the ARG".

If that's true, I wonder what comes after. 0.0

Episode 3 info of course.

Assuming this does continue on, I'll laugh when there ends up being some crazy shit hidden within Portal 2 itself.

Ferrio

Banned
Zerokku said:
Episode 3 info of course.

Assuming this does continue on, I'll laugh when there ends up being some crazy shit hidden within Portal 2 itself.

I'm actually quite confident portal 2 will have an ep3 tie in.

ElNarez

Banned
God's Beard said:
I don't see anywhere that it was proven wrong. I'd like to see.

Here is a link that was posted when you brought up your argument. Solid evidence based on the very same data that you used to make your point, proving it's actually wrong. I will then point you to other graphics from the very same site, showing remarkable similarities between progress and number of CPUs.

The first step of solving a problem is admitting that you have a problem. Your problem is that you're a compulsive paranoid liar. But we'll get through this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Feep said:

How is this not good for the gamers, who get to play Portal 2 a day or two earlier than before?

If Portal 2 ends up being released at 9 AM on the 19th, I'll shut up. But that's not going to happen, and you know it.
He is trying to say idling in game X will not makes Portal 2 come out any sooner, which may be true. I think.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Ferrio said:
I'm actually quite confident portal 2 will have an ep3 tie in.

I'm not expecting anything outside of some small references within the actual plot myself, but ARG shit? Wouldn't be surprised one bit.

Feep said:

I never said that it wasn't good for Team Meat, and and I never said the game would be released on Tuesday. So don't go burning those straw men. The game is coming out on Monday because Valve programmed it to happen that way. Not because of how many people are playing indie games.

It's set up like this because valve wants to build goodwill, increase the number of active steam users, gain a little direct profit, build Portal 2 hype and gain data on their userbase. At the same time, they don't want to fuck over retail, so they made it that we can't get the game 12 hours ago.

I don't think it's good for the gamers because it's a lie, because it's a bribe and because it's not an interesting payoff to a clever ARG. It's literally work. Fill an arbitrary quota in a limited amount of time to get a reward that doesn't exist. There's no active participation, there's no creative thinking, just go farm out some hours.

ElNarez said:
Here is a link that was posted when you brought up your argument. Solid evidence based on the very same data that you used to make your point, proving it's actually wrong. I will then point you to other graphics from the very same site, showing remarkable similarities between progress and number of CPUs.

The first step of solving a problem is admitting that you have a problem. Your problem is that you're a compulsive paranoid liar. But we'll get through this.

This was brought up and addressed. The problem was that the number of PCs and potatoes don't contribute to the acceleration of the actual progress bar for the Portal 2 launch. The graph you're showing me is for an individual game, which we already knew was being tracked appropriately. The problem is that it doesn't matter. What you have isn't proof, it's nothing.

Blizzard

Banned
ElNarez said:
ElNarez said:
I just wanted to point out that after listening to and reading Glados lines from the Portal comic and Defense Grid, I can conclude that ElNarez is at least 47% Glados.

"I'd ask you to think outside the box on this, but it's obvious your box is broken. And has schizophrenia."

drkOne

Ferrio said:
Do I need to flatout tell you that you are wrong?
This has nothing to do with the console versions being already released on torrent sites.
This doesn't change the fact that you'll be able to play the game this Tuesday.
This shouldn't alter what you're doing right now, unless you want to.

Valve did a couple of indie devs a nice favor, as they got some sales they wouldn't have had otherwise. They worked hard themselves to have this joke last over two weeks.
This is hyping Portal 2 release, and very successfully.

I really don't understand people complaining when it's a win-win situation. Stop wishing for a boring market that announces game, puts out some commercials, releases game, moves on.
I know there'll always be people dissing on Valve no matter what they do. I guess that's what you get for trying something new...

But for god's sake, don't come here complaining "they're teasing us too hard" because that just means they're successfully doing their job.
And if you wanna complain that some people will play it earlier than Tuesday (maybe), do you also complain on every thread when people pick up their games earlier from mom&pops?

Top Bottom