• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
TheExodu5 said:
The vast majority of people going for potatoes will have cheated in some way. How many people grinded money in Killing Floor? Used their own legit Cogs save? Valve is going to have to deal with yet another backlash if they remove those potatoes. I doubt that's going to happen.
There is nothing they can do to track what console commands you used, or if you had cheat engine running.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
TheExodu5 said:
The vast majority of people going for potatoes will have cheated in some way. How many people grinded money in Killing Floor? Used their own legit Cogs save? Valve is going to have to deal with yet another backlash if they remove those potatoes. I doubt that's going to happen.

On that note:

http://www.thejayzone.com/pics/taters.png

The Valve employee in the thread specifically mentions "the website", so those who took a shortcut or two using saves, or used a utility such as Cheat Engine, should be fine. (And as mentioned above, it's not as though Valve can know what users were running in the background when they obtained their potatoes.)

TheExodu5

Banned
Hopefully the Dojiban game scripts were fine. I'd assume so, since they were client side.

So anyways, using every trick in the book, I managed to go through all 36 potatoes from 9PM last night to now, 6AM. 9 hours. Not too bad. I was going for a quick time, so I used walkthroughs where appropriate.

syoaran

SalsaShark said:
yup

edit: ok not gonna be that much of an asshole, but some of the meltdowns here are pretty embarrasing, like Valve was delaying the game or something.

I think a lot of the meltdowns are a bit too much, but if Valve want to save face in front of their fans, they need to intervene. People have fulfilled the conditions on paper, they have bought and played the potato pack. A lot of them have done this, we can see this just by the potato contribution., it's simply a case of overestimating how much people were willing to contribute which has caused this. Considering how much work went into this campaign, its a shame to see it ending on a sour note.

JaseC

The only people that are potentially at risk are those who used saves that unlocked Steam achievements. They'd all show up as being unlocked at the same time which will set off a red flag should Valve go looking for it.

Having said that, I really don't think they'll crack down on anybody who used the actual games to get the potatoes. Going after those who did absolutely nothing to earn their potatoes makes sense, but even those who used the Cogs saves still had to jump a few hurdles.

mclem

I left mine doing Cogs overnight, looks like that was a reasonable choice, since it's top priority now.

One thing's puzzling me: I think the "Computations completed for launch" meter is showing *more* progression than the average of the bars below. I'm wondering if we don't actually need to complete everything to get P2.

Salsa

syoaran said:
I think a lot of the meltdowns are a bit too much, but if Valve want to save face in front of their fans, they need to intervene. People have fulfilled the conditions on paper, they have bought and played the potato pack. A lot of them have done this, we can see this just by the potato contribution., it's simply a case of overestimating how much people were willing to contribute which has caused this. Considering how much work went into this campaign, its a shame to see it ending on a sour note.

im saving judgement until the "non-hat" golden potato reward.

Slavik81

mclem said:
I left mine doing Cogs overnight, looks like that was a reasonable choice, since it's top priority now.

One thing's puzzling me: I think the "Computations completed for launch" meter is showing *more* progression than the average of the bars below. I'm wondering if we don't actually need to complete everything to get P2.
Well, it counts down on its own, too.

JADS

TheExodu5 said:
Hopefully the Dojiban game scripts were fine. I'd assume so, since they were client side.

So anyways, using every trick in the book, I managed to go through all 36 potatoes from 9PM last night to now, 6AM. 9 hours. Not too bad. I was going for a quick time, so I used walkthroughs where appropriate.

I hope so. I had to cheat for one of the Potatoes in 1_2_3_Kick_IT!. I have a Razer Krait mouse and for some reason the non hardware login screen never triggered for me. Even though I did everything correctly. According to the wiki some users have the same bug and the only workaround is to use a different computer. Which I don't have at the moment.

Bliddo

Jenga said:
so apparently valve is removing potatoes from cheaters

it takes effect monday I believe

the way the mod worded it was that it still counted towards the ARG tho
They are referring to a website that unlocks 15 potatoes with a click (there was a topic in the steam forum, but I can't find it now)
If you cheated to obtain money in KF you're fine.

Doopliss

syoaran said:
If it's slower than they intended they could have speeded it up, it's not like the mechanics are clearly defined. It kind of feels like they're gunning for a release not early enough to annoy other retailers, but just early enough to warrant an extra post on all the blogs.

syoaran

SalsaShark said:
im saving judgement until the "non-hat" golden potato reward.

That's not really what we are talking about Salsa, the potato's for the sake of a reward is the reward itself, and has little to do other than help create an incentive people to go the whole mile if they bought into the Potato pack. You yourself went that mile without any Portal2 related rewards whatsoever, which helps prove my point. Valve souring a good marketing campaign because of incorrect numbers will happen unless they intervene, in-regardless of your 36 potato reward.

JaseC

syoaran said:
That's not really what we are talking about Salsa, the potato's for the sake of a reward is the reward itself, and has little to do other than help create an incentive people to go the whole mile if they bought into the Potato pack. You yourself went that mile without any Portal2 related rewards whatsoever, which helps prove my point. Valve souring a good marketing campaign because of incorrect numbers will happen unless they intervene, in-regardless of your 36 potato reward.

I think he knows that, and was simply speaking for himself. ;)

JaseC

evlcookie said:
YES! Finally. Got that audiosurf 520k points one. The only potato i have apart from the join group one.

I'm done!

You were aware that all you needed was a gold medal and as such you could've gone for it in Easy/Novice or Medium/Pro, right?

Hylian7

mandiller said:
Any ideas what game will be the target after Rush is finished? Hopefully it's something I've got so I can idle it.
Cogs. On that note, I'm going to say this again:

Hylian7 said:
For some reason Cogs only gives me a blank screen, but sound when I run it. Anyone else have this issue?

mandiller said:
Any ideas what game will be the target after Rush is finished? Hopefully it's something I've got so I can idle it.
Cogs
Toki Tori
BIT.TRIP BEAT
The Ball
Audiosurf
Amnesia
Super Meat Boy
Defense Grid: The Awakening
Killing Floor

Priority list.

JaseC

Hakkuei said:
Durrr, it's easier in elite.

I alternated between all 3 in my 8'ish hour quest, but Easy/Novice was the one I finally snagged it in. Ironic, really, considering my failed attempts in Medium/Pro were closer to the mark than my failed attempts in Easy/Novice.

evlcookie said:
Yea, But that just didn't feel right D:

Fair enough!

Hylian7

This was interesting:

Valve ARG Wiki said:
03:39: arg2 chatroom user Willox indicates since 88 is the ascii code for 'X' then it might mean the Auxiliary Power will kick in at X 375,466 potatos using the number Steve posted in the [BostonIndies Has anyone seen Ichiro] messages we received April 13th. Potato count is currently at X 357,091.

Edit: The theory would make sense as it seems the rate hasn't changed all that much even though the potato count has been going up and up and up from when this thing initially started. Also, the "X" on the site is just plain text and not an image like the potato image is on there.

Very interesting. Probably true.
I got all 36 so I've done my part. Most of them are really easy if you use the wiki on valvearg.com

GET TO IT, FOLKS!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
By the time that happens the game will be out already.

Hakkuei

Jintor said:
Easiest in pro actually
I dunno, I found it easier in elite with the "fast = blue + cube and slow = orange + cube" technique.

JaseC said:
I alternated between all 3 in my 8'ish hour quest, but Easy/Novice was the one I finally snagged it in. Ironic, really, considering my failed attempts in Medium/Pro were closer to the mark than my failed attempts in Easy/Novice.
Aw 8 hour, that must have been painful. But yeah that was the same for me, my failed attempts in medium/elite were really close to the mark.

JaseC

EatChildren said:
By the time that happens the game will be out already.

The potato counter has increased by over 60k in the past ~13 hours (the counter is at 297k in Google's cache of the page, which was retrieved 16/04 at 10:52pm).

Hakkuei said:
Aw 8 hour, that must have been painful. But yeah that was the same for me, my failed attempts in medium/elite were really close to the mark.

I honestly didn't think I'd ever get it.

TheBez

Why went I went to install Portal did it start at 66%? Source Engine shenanigans? Does that mean Portal 2 uses something else since it started at 0%?

Hylian7

TheBez said:
Why went I went to install Portal did it start at 66%? Source Engine shenanigans? Does that mean Portal 2 uses something else since it started at 0%?
A much different version of the Source engine probably. As far as I know, there are at least 2 versions of Source out there (possibly 3, if Alien Swarm and Portal 2 count as a third).

Orange Box
Left 4 Dead (both of them)
Alien Swarm/Portal 2 (maybe)

JaseC

TheBez said:

Source Engine updates went out yesterday or the day before.

Steam downloads always start from 0%, even if the games make use of shared assets (Source Engine games being the most obvious example). Games that do share assets will simply finish earlier and appear to download more quickily; the percentage completed doesn't jump ahead.

Having said that, ~9.8GB of Portal 2's ~10GB download/file size is unique assets. The game is Valve's largest by far.

Hylian7 said:
This was interesting:

Edit: The theory would make sense as it seems the rate hasn't changed all that much even though the potato count has been going up and up and up from when this thing initially started. Also, the "X" on the site is just plain text and not an image like the potato image is on there.
Somebody made a half serious joke about it in the release thread, but this really is a Skinner box.

03:39: Unlock-icon.png arg2 chatroom user Willox indicates since 88 is the ascii code for 'X' then it might mean the Auxiliary Power will kick in at X 375,466 potatos using the number Steve posted in the BostonIndies Has anyone seen Ichiro messages we received April 13th. Potato count is currently at X 357,091. [S

theres still hope get more Potatos!

maniac-kun said:
03:39: Unlock-icon.png arg2 chatroom user Willox indicates since 88 is the ascii code for 'X' then it might mean the Auxiliary Power will kick in at X 375,466 potatos using the number Steve posted in the BostonIndies Has anyone seen Ichiro messages we received April 13th. Potato count is currently at X 357,091. [S

theres still hope get more Potatos!
Yeah, it's a few posts up.

GABDEG

I'm surprised at the rate the potato count is rising. Considering that you pretty much have to read wikis and stuff to find out how to get them.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It seems to be increasing by 100 - 200 every few minutes. I'm not too sure if I believe that's actually people doing the work, Seems a little too consistent for my liking.

Baha

How long does it take between refreshes for the bars to move for you guys on the @GlaDos site? It seems to take 5 mins for me when I use the javascript code in the url.

Sibylus

Banned
God's Beard said:
This was brought up and addressed. The problem was that the number of PCs and potatoes don't contribute to the acceleration of the actual progress bar for the Portal 2 launch.
Do you actually know this, or is it a gut assumption of some kind?

Anyway, it seemed evident that the global completion bar is an average of the completion bars. http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk/portal/ has numbers on all of this, and it should be fairly reputable.

Global completion percentage: 56.48%

Game-by-game completion percentage:

Crunched the numbers on that, and the rough completion average I got is: 56.46%

So yeah. If there's a disconnect between the local and global completion bars, that is to say, if the former does not determine the latter, how? I'm not seeing it.

Rur0ni

Looking at the countdown page, "Active Test Subjects, ZERO". I wonder how this section of the page will change once the systems come online. Is it going to count every player that's playing Portal 2? Special stuff for Golden Potato players?

Top Bottom