• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Mikey Jr. said:
These potato multipliers dont seem to be doing jack shit.

Fuck sakes, we have over 330k, and still slogging at the same fucking pace.

There is no "multiplier." There is, however, a set number of potatoes that will likely speed up the cycles significantly when it is reached.

TheExodu5

Banned
ElNarez said:
Uh, dude. We're about to break 50% on the main bar, and on the Cogs one, which is not even the one we've been focusing on for the past couple of hours. Shit is getting done at a faster pace than you can imagine. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

It hasn't sped up. The rate at which the bar is increasing is the same as yesterday. There is no acceleration.

XeroSauce

God damnit, I think I lost track of what potatoes I have. It says I'm missing 5.

I know I need one from Amnesia (damnit), Audiosurf, The Ball, The Wonderful End of World, and one more...I don't know what the last one is. I think it's one of the 1,2,3 potatoes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Bisonian said:
Can you disable enemies and still get the potato from Amnesia: Justine?

Yep. Just got it myself.

Now on to the lucky last - The Ball, which I should've nabbed last night/this morning if I hadn't alt-tabbed. :(

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Ozone said:
Exactly.

The early release is a lie. After the whole cake thing, why the hell did anyone think it'd be different this time?
There has to be another surprise. Or some threshold that unlocks something in-game. Because the few hour pre-release is a bit underwhelming relative to the build up.

shagg_187 said:
LOL! Well, if you look at this way: we are playing games! and getting portal 2 half a day early! Woo hoo :p

Yeah, regardless, I had a lot of fun playing some games that may have just sat in my backlog. Beat The Wonderful End of the World and Toki Tori. And I played a good amount of The Ball and I even began to appreciate AAAAAAAAAH! A little bit.

I feel sorry for people who just let these games run in the background while they uneventfully surfed the net, etc. They missed a good "excuse" to grow to appreciate some great games.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Mikey Jr. said:
These potato multipliers dont seem to be doing jack shit.

Fuck sakes, we have over 330k, and still slogging at the same fucking pace.
I think the bars are actually moving faster, but that could just be my imagination.

Any tips/cheats for The Wonderful End of the World potatoes?
Be good at the game. The Crate level is the hardest level to get A+ in the game, I would suggest getting A+ in all 12 of the normal levels first.

The Portal Theme level was a cake walk, first try and A+.

Edit: Wait, there is a cheat. This: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/446082/potatohack/potatohack.htm

It is for AaAaA, 1, 2, 3, and End of the World. It is just a bruit force hack, but you will get the Potatoes.

KScorp

Is there any new image to show progress relative to the past? Maybe we can deduce from that exactly how much progress was made.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The reboot of GLaDOS is now over 50% completed! With this milestone the potatoes are now overclocking. The end is near.

What do they mean overclocking, and how do they know?

KScorp said:
Is there any new image to show progress relative to the past? Maybe we can deduce from that exactly how much progress was made.
http://cpucount.zapto.org/

According to this graph, the release is fixed like the golden wrenches and nothing anyone does will release this game sooner than Monday.

Have fun grinding out nothing for Valve's wallets.

PHeCl.png

Mairu said:
How does leaving games on idle contribute to Valve's wallets?

People are playing their games, getting their friends to, buying copies for other people, when in fact the games you're playing have absolutely nothing to do with the progress bar. It's all made up. In the spirit of Portal, this was determined through science.

WEGGLES

God's Beard said:

According to this graph, the release is fixed like the golden wrenches and nothing anyone does will release this game sooner than Monday.

http://i.imgur.com/PHeCl.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
If you look at individual games it clearly shows a correlation between more players and the bar increasing faster

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just got in on this. 15 potatoes. Damn, what a brilliant ARG.

The Justine DLC for Amnesia is a work of art. And I don't know how much of that game I can take, quite frankly.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
God's Beard said:
People are playing their games, getting their friends to, buying copies for other people, when in fact the games you're playing have absolutely nothing to do with the progress bar. It's all made up. In the spirit of Portal, this was determined through science.

They aren't Valves games though, we're grinding out nothing for indie devs wallets.

WEGGLES said:
If you look at individual games it clearly shows a correlation between more players and the bar increasing faster

And who says that has anything to do with the main progress bar at all? There are no jumps in progress, and it doesn't accelerate as potatoes increase. For all anyone knows, the game bars are just positive reinforcement to make it look like you're doing something.

This isn't the first time Valve has made shit up like this. At this point it's pretty obvious that this isn't a good will gesture.

Spire said:
They aren't Valves games though, we're grinding out nothing for indie devs wallets.

Come on man, just think a few steps further. It's not complicated.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
God's Beard said:

PHeCl.png
Eh, I don't know. This does imply more people playing increases it at a faster rate:
maybe%20not.jpg

Though it begs the chicken or egg question. Maybe it is at a set rate if not enough plays a game.

Top Bottom