• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Crunched said:
Gotcha.

One of the big complaints here is that the potato pack is all games that "nobody wants to play." Mangy cow comment above is an example of this. But that's not true. What's bad about these games? The inclusion of Super Meat Boy, Killing Floor, Audiosurf, Defense Grid, and Amnesia is enough to bring it to excellence. What's the problem people seem to have with these games? Some of them are better than high profile releases in their genre.
They're good games, but people should be playing these games because they want to play them, or because of the excellent content that has been added over the last couple of weeks, not because of this stupid stunt.

Twig

Banned
dream said:
They're great games but I think the people complaining would rather be playing Portal 2 right now.
There's a difference between that and "ALL OF THESE GAMES FUCKING SUCK MY DIARRHEA."

The former is reasonable, the latter is how some people seem to feel, assuming they aren't just being a bunch of raging manbabies who can't get over the fact that they're only getting Portal 2 ONE day earlier instead of four days earlier. Also, they suck too much at games to get a golden potato. And it makes their eyes water up a bit.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Crunched said:
Gotcha.

One of the big complaints here is that the potato pack is all games that "nobody wants to play." Mangy cow comment above is an example of this. But that's not true. What's bad about these games? The inclusion of Super Meat Boy, Killing Floor, Audiosurf, Defense Grid, and Amnesia is enough to bring it to excellence. What's the problem people seem to have with these games? Some of them are better than high profile releases in their genre.
The ARG doesn't really point people to play any of the games you listed, but to be honest nearly everyone who cares has already beaten or played those games as much as they wanted to.

The games that have been completed drop off the top 100 played games list on Steam Stats, so the only logical conclusion I can come to is that nobody wants to play these games.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
BIT.TRIP's Gonna give me a damn seizure, and the boss on Descent without exiting Mega Mode?
U FUCKING MAD?
Jesus this shit is hard.

Twig

Banned
Dance In My Blood said:
The ARG doesn't really point people to play any of the games you listed, but to be honest nearly everyone who cares has already beaten or played those games as much as they wanted to.

The games that have been completed drop off the top 100 played games list on Steam Stats, so the only logical conclusion I can come to is that nobody wants to play these games.
What a shame that your logical conclusion has no real basis in logic.

Twig said:
Also, they suck too much at games to get a golden potato. And it makes their eyes water up a bit.
Or they don't want to buy the Potato Sack when they already have all the games they want from it (well, except Amnesia ^_^).

dream

Twig said:
There's a difference between that and "ALL OF THESE GAMES FUCKING SUCK MY DIARRHEA."

The former is reasonable, the latter is how some people seem to feel, assuming they aren't just being a bunch of raging manbabies who can't get over the fact that they're only getting Portal 2 ONE day earlier instead of four days earlier. Also, they suck too much at games to get a golden potato. And it makes their eyes water up a bit.

You're right, but when people are basically being forced to play (or at least run) the potato pack games while dodging spoilers just to knock what looks like a few hours off of the Portal 2 release date, I think they can get a pass for being drama queens.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
maniac-kun said:
FEUDALISM: You have two cows. Your lord takes some of the milk.

PURE COMMUNISM: You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

PURE DEMOCRACY: You have two cows. Your neighbors decide who gets the milk.

FASCISM: You have two cows. The government takes both, hires you to take care of them and sells you the milk.

VALVE'S POTATO SCAM: As a honest buyer, you are entitled to one cow. The cow is already a grown adult, healthy and ready to be milked. However, Gabe Newell takes it hostage and will release it only after a certain arbirtary date. Moreover, he says that if you want it back sooner you'll have to buy another (mangy, haggard and retarded) cow from one of Gabe's friends, pump lots of undrinkable milk for hours on end and then give it to Gabe as a sign of loyalty and goodwill. Depending on star alignment and what the weather is like, Gabe will decide if it's enough or not.
If only writing elaborate trolls like this made Portal 2 come out faster, it would certainly be more effective than the ARG.

*gets off of hype train and hides in GAF Spoiler safehouse*

Twig

Banned
darkpaladinmfc said:
Or they don't want to buy the Potato Sack when they already have all the games they want from it (well, except Amnesia ^_^).
Those people exist, certainly, but they aren't shedding their tears on a public gaming forum.

dream said:
You're right, but when people are basically being forced to play (or at least run) the potato pack games while dodging spoilers just to knock what looks like a few hours off of the Portal 2 release date, I think they can get a pass for being drama queens.
No, they can't.

It's a disappointing end to the ARG, without a doubt, but it's not an excuse to revert to childhood.

XeroSauce

dream said:

It's simply a grind, and it's sad to see such a great ARG turn into this. They could have done a multitude of other things but people are sick of these 13 games by now.

Red

Cindres said:
BIT.TRIP's Gonna give me a damn seizure, and the boss on Descent without exiting Mega Mode?
U FUCKING MAD?
Jesus this shit is hard.
You can exit Mega. I got it by entering Mega during the fight (it was nearly over).

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sn4ke_911 said:
7gTwT.png

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1842122
Hopefully that is only for people who used that site and not those who used something like the Cogs script.

Oreoleo

Crunched said:
Poor sign when your most talked-about selling point is an update for an outside company's marketing stunt.

I'm sure it's a solid game but I've always been confused about the audience. It's set in this gritty post-apocalypse and has all the signs of a shooter, but is actually a puzzle game.

Dude, what? You're talking about The Ball? It takes place underground in a cave with old temples and crypts. You play an archeologist who fell in a hole in the ground or some shit. Not exactly post-apocalyptic..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
XeroSauce said:
It's simply a grind, and it's sad to see such a great ARG turn into this. They could have done a multitude of other things but people are sick of these 13 games by now.
Wait, people had to actually play these games they bought on steam?! Nonsense!

Red

Orellio said:
Dude, what? You're talking about The Ball? It takes place underground in a cave with old temples and crypts. You play an archeologist who fell in a hole in the ground or some shit. Not exactly post-apocalyptic..
Then all the sales media has misled me. Either way the grizzly looking lizard men and beast monsters kind of point me toward hurr durr typical shooterville, but the puzzle mechanics actually look interesting. It's a game I've been on the fence for a few times, but I'm still not sure what to expect.

dimb

Twig said:
What a shame that your logical conclusion has no real basis in logic.
Under what pretenses? You keep defending these games but once people are done idling in them for the ARG they go practically untouched.

My take on this whole situation is that the ARG appeals to the most stalwart Steam fans and PC gamers. Why pick a bunch of old games for them to play when, most likely, they already own them or are aware of them?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Orellio said:
Yeah, I am pretty sure the game is set in the 30's or 40's.

So looking at all the charts on that cpucount site, the number of people playing directly correlates to the percent done for the game. Whats unfortunate is right now the Potatoes do nothing.

Oreoleo

Crunched said:
Then all the sales media has misled me. Either way the grizzly looking lizard men and beast monsters kind of point me toward hurr durr typical shooterville, but the puzzle mechanics actually look interesting. It's a game I've been on the fence for a few times, but I'm still not sure what to expect.

Eh, you have a point there. When I bought in I was expecting DINOSAURS and shit but it isn't really like that at all. Pretty much every enemy (so many small-time zombies) is killed by rolling the ball over them, and your gun is basically a gravity gun for the ball that can pull it towards you or shoot it away.

Tacitus_

SteveWinwood said:
So that get a certain amount of potatoes and everything will be multiplied thing was bogus? Wasn't it supposed to be 375,000?

Potatoes are a multiplier of some sort but the 375k number was a pure guess.

clav

Drkirby said:
Yeah, I am pretty sure the game is set in the 30's or 40's.

So looking at all the charts on that cpucount site, the number of people playing directly correlates to the percent done for the game. Whats unfortunate is right now the Potatoes do nothing.
The potatoes are lies.

Stitch

Gold Member
Crunched said:
maybe you should try the demo?

enzo_gt said:
Wait, people had to actually play these games they bought on steam?! Nonsense!
It might be a trend that Valve is keeping track of: people that hoard games from sales but don't actually play them. I'm personally inflicted with that syndrome.

It would also be fun to see how many people will go back to play these games after Portal 2 is released in X amount of time from the date. I wouldn't have actually opened Defense Grid if it weren't for those potatoes. Now I'm hooked on the product I actually paid for.

Note that I bought the pack from initial release because I thought it was a good deal. I didn't expect all of this extra stuff.

butter_stick said:
1 million potatoes = 1x multiplier.

Gabe: (laughs)
I think the ARG wiki or SPUF explained it to be per 100,000 potatoes. So 3.75K potatoes is 3.75x. It's almost reaching 4K potatoes! If everyone reached their full potential, that would be 11,111 people that got 36 potatoes.
kamspy said:
If only they would have used TF2 Hats with this promotion. We'd have been playing since Saturday morning.
They did the portal pin instead, but they're not being loud about it for some reason. edit: Here we go... http://www.teamfortress.com/companioncubepin/

ThaiGrocer said:
I think the ARG wiki or SPUF explained it to be per 100,000 potatoes. So 3.75K potatoes is 3.75x. It's almost reaching 4K potatoes! If everyone reached their full potential, that would be 11,111 people that got 36 potatoes.
So far there is no evidence to suggest that the potatoes are some sort of multiplier, the potato count has steadily increased but the percentage growth hasn't accelerated.

kamspy

Jive Turkey said:
Well there was the potato hat.

Yeah, but it wasn't nearly flashy enough. If there was a flashy hat for each game advertised in the little post game Steam pop up ads, we'd already have a story discussion thread up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't believe how controversial this thing is. Well, I maintain that it's awesome and enjoyable for me! Off to hunt more potatoes!

Twig

Banned
kamspy said:
Yeah, but it wasn't nearly flashy enough. If there was a flashy hat for each game advertised in the little post game Steam pop up ads, we'd already have a story discussion thread up.
Every potato earned adds another potato to your potato hat.

kamspy said:
If only they would have used TF2 Hats with this promotion. We'd have been playing since Saturday morning.

The Potato Hat that came with the original sack is still just called the [ Classified ]. Some people are theorizing the hat's name, and maybe even design, will change once the ARG is done, or at least around once Portal 2 releases. The Treasure Hat is a pretty obvious precedent.

Also, the Portal 2 pin that wasn't for preorder (that you got by playing all 13 games at least once) is actually called the Resurrection Associate Pin. So at least "plotwise" it's part of it.

I'm also kind of glad playing TF2 isn't part of it, because apparently TF2's broken as hell right now from the major patch they did. I haven't tried it yet because I'm saving my week's drops for the promised Soldier-Sniper weapons next week.

Yeef

Hawkian said:
Can't believe how controversial this thing is. Well, I maintain that it's awesome and enjoyable for me! Off to hunt more potatoes!
No one is complaining about the potato hunt (which has been available since the beginning of the month). it's the Boot sequence that everyone hates.

dimb

Twig said:
"Pretenses"? Go take a logic class. Please. I'm not going to waste any more time with your ridiculous non-argument.
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt by claiming that my arguments might be fallacious, and asking for you to disprove them.

Frankly all you seem to do is post mocking quips that attempt to tear me down rather than disprove anything I say. All I said was that if people wanted to play the games, they would play them. They're not playing them though once their self-imposed obligation to do so has passed. That's just stating a fact.

If the obvious can't be stated without provoking an attack I guess I just shouldn't post on GAF.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
darkpaladinmfc said:
So far there is no evidence to suggest that the potatoes are some sort of multiplier, the potato count has steadily increased but the percentage growth hasn't accelerated.
In fact, all the evidence we have shows they simply don't. That cpucount site was able to add up the accumulative amount of CPUs for each game, normalize it for each game, and find they do correlate 1:1, but the Potato count doesn't effect the rate at all.

At very best the number of Potatoes may tie into how much time gets knocked off when a game is completed. We have shaved what, 6 hours off at best? Right know it looks like the game will simply come out Monday Evening.

Also, the Portal 2 pin that wasn't for preorder (that you got by playing all 13 games at least once) is actually called the Resurrection Associate Pin. So at least "plotwise" it's part of it.
No, now you get one for both. A Resurrection Associate Pin for playing all 13 Potato sack games at least once (Helping the reboot process), and a Companion Cube Pin was recently added (Which looks the same) for people who preordered Portal 2.

It is likely the Resurrection Pin will change in some way once this is all over. It will likely get ether get an alternative style, or a particle effect.

Every potato earned adds another potato to your potato hat.
36 Potatoes also gets you a Potato Bow Tie to go with the hat.

By the thinness of the Numbers, that Zero in GlaDOS at home will likely have a count of the total number of people playing/played the game.

Top Bottom