• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
So I'm watching a stream on JTV and out of nowhere a stupid fuckin retarded bastard spoiled the Portal 2 ending ...FUUUUUCK!!! He got banned very fast but im using the firefox plugin betterJTV and that means i can still see what he was saying. Man fuck i hope i misread it. Fucking internet, there is no place to be save so i think im going to play some Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Source.

Weenerz

Banned
Original-Blue said:
Jeez... You would think that the speed should ramp up as it gets closer to completion and as there are less games to spread the people but nope it certainly seems like its just crawling along at the same pace as always (fucking slow).

Sleep time for me, hopefully by the time I wake up two (or hopefully three more games have released and we're well on the way to release.

What time is the USA do steam games usually release? Is midnight Monday the regular release time?

Usually they release 10pm est the day of release, not sure about Valve games, it's been so long.

epmode said:
It may not be very popular but I'd say that it has the most impressive Portal-related update.

Yep. That and Defense Grid have very cool updates. The dialogue in Defense Grid was a lot of fun.

The Ball seemed to have some weird Glados impersonator that sounded like a dude through a voice changer, but no biggie!

syoaran

Zomba13 said:
I definitely think they planned this out to make money and advertise Portal 2 but I also think they expected more people to participate/buy the potato sack. I don't think they see it as a failure or anything, just below their expectations, which hopefully means in any future ARG style promotions they adjust the goals and stuff accordingly.

I agree, but I still don't understand why they simply don't push the bars up now considering they have considerable amount of participation. 380k potato's across these games is not a little, they have made the money on this now - its time to give the community something back, there is no up-side to the current level of reward.

TheExodu5

Banned
Completing the game bars is completely pointless as far as I can tell. Sure, it knocked time off the total timer, but the main progress bar is going to finish long before that timer runs out anyways...

TheExodu5 said:
Completing the game bars is completely pointless as far as I can tell. Sure, it knocked time off the total timer, but the main progress bar is going to finish long before that timer runs out anyways...

Yeah, that's why I'm confident we will either get it late tonight or tomorrow morning. I'm an optimist though.

I freaking did it, all 36 potatoes, I hope this was worthy, I neglected my wife and my son for the weekend to get this freaking gold potato. Now I have the sunday afternoon to make up for it.
Over and out!

DarkKyo

TheExodu5 said:
So wait, all the game bars don't need to be full to reach 100%?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sn4ke_911 said:
So I'm watching a stream on JTV and out of nowhere a stupid fuckin retarded bastard spoiled the Portal 2 ending ...FUUUUUCK!!! He got banned very fast but im using the firefox plugin betterJTV and that means i can still see what he was saying. Man fuck i hope i misread it. Fucking internet, there is no place to be save so i think im going to play some Team Fortress 2 or Counter-Strike: Source.
*continues to hunker down inside GAF for the duration of the next few days*

Red

epmode said:
It may not be very popular but I'd say that it has the most impressive Portal-related update.
Poor sign when your most talked-about selling point is an update for an outside company's marketing stunt.

I'm sure it's a solid game but I've always been confused about the audience. It's set in this gritty post-apocalypse and has all the signs of a shooter, but is actually a puzzle game.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Ozone said:
Best reply ever.

Sn4ke_911 said:
This is awesome coming from a guy who made a thread here with a (then) potential Uncharted 3 spoiler in the title and then acted like the people complaining were the douchebags.

Baha

Treefingers said:
I'd avoid looking at the chat if I were you.

At this point I'd stay away from any multiplayer games and stick to single player only. It's times like this when you're reminded of how much anonymity lets people become huge assholes online.

I left Audiosurf on all night, but somehow the power cable and ethernet cable to my laptop got unplugged. Still logged a decent amount before the laptop ran out of battery though.

Doopliss

TheExodu5 said:
I'm not sure... we're 50 hours in with 40 left on the countdown. Killing floor is 27.6% complete, that's 0.55% per hour. There's 72.6% to go, if it became the focus right now it would need to go up 1.81% per hour just to complete at the same time the timer finishes. It's been averaging around 5000 people in game, and the games that have been focused on have only gained 3000 or so people playing them, from what I've seen.

Sn4ke_911

Jive Turkey said:
Best reply ever.

This is awesome coming from a guy who made a thread here with a (then) potential Uncharted 3 spoiler in the title and then acted like the people complaining were the douchebags.

I think spoiling the ending of a game or name a possible returning character (which btw. turned out to be false) is a huge difference. Don't you think?

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Sn4ke_911 said:
I think spoiling the ending of a game or name a possible returning character (which btw. turned out to be false) is a huge difference. Don't you think?
Not when they're some place that you don't expect/can't be avoided. The fact that your spoiler turned out to be false is completely irrelevant.

TheExodu5

Banned
Jive Turkey said:
Not when they're some place that you don't expect/can't be avoided. The fact that your spoiler turned out to be false is completely irrelevant.

Yep. It still affects your perception of the game and anticipation of what's to come.

Red

Sn4ke_911 said:
I think spoiling the ending of a game or name a possible returning character (which btw. turned out to be false) is a huge difference.
Not sure I want to know the answer to the returning character in question, but weren't there only two characters in Portal? And they're both confirmed?

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Crunched said:
Not sure I want to know the answer to the returning character in question, but weren't there only two characters in Portal? And they're both confirmed?

I believe they are talking about Uncharted 3

FEUDALISM: You have two cows. Your lord takes some of the milk.

PURE COMMUNISM: You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

PURE DEMOCRACY: You have two cows. Your neighbors decide who gets the milk.

FASCISM: You have two cows. The government takes both, hires you to take care of them and sells you the milk.

VALVE'S POTATO SCAM: As a honest buyer, you are entitled to one cow. The cow is already a grown adult, healthy and ready to be milked. However, Gabe Newell takes it hostage and will release it only after a certain arbirtary date. Moreover, he says that if you want it back sooner you'll have to buy another (mangy, haggard and retarded) cow from one of Gabe's friends, pump lots of undrinkable milk for hours on end and then give it to Gabe as a sign of loyalty and goodwill. Depending on star alignment and what the weather is like, Gabe will decide if it's enough or not.

KScorp

Crunched said:

Yes, but there are other possibilities for characters appearing which aren't originally in Portal. And it could be massive.

Sn4ke_911

Jive Turkey said:

We had this conversation already. Some people said it's was ok, some said it's not. You want this here to continue? No thanks. End of story.

Crunched said:

We're talking about Uncharted 3.

Twig

Banned
maniac-kun said:
VALVE'S POTATO SCAM: As a honest buyer, you are entitled to one cow. The cow is already a grown adult, healthy and ready to be milked. However, Gabe Newell takes it hostage and will release it only after a certain arbirtary date. Moreover, he says that if you want it back sooner you'll have to buy another (mangy, haggard and retarded) cow from one of Gabe's friends, pump lots of undrinkable milk for hours on end and then give it to Gabe as a sign of loyalty and goodwill. Depending on star alignment and what the weather is like, Gabe will decide if it's enough or not.
Trolling only works if there's a grain of truth. Sorry, you failed. (But I did still laugh!)

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Sn4ke_911 said:
We had this conversation already. Some people said it's was ok, some said it's not. You want this here to continue? No thanks. End of story.
All I'm saying is you of all people have absolutely no room to complain. Karma in action.

maniac-kun said:

PURE COMMUNISM: You have two cows. Your neighbors help you take care of them, and you all share the milk.

FASCISM: You have two cows. The government takes both, hires you to take care of them and sells you the milk.

:lol

TheExodu5

Banned
maniac-kun said:

:lol

maniac-kun said:
The other cow is actually full of fun attributes that I would have only glanced over if Gabe didn't show me. Besides, I get to decorate my previous cows with some cool hats and pins now. I also have an extra gift coming because I spent some time with that cow I was supposed to take care of, especially when we played Defense Grid together. It's all up to you. Moo.

Red

Datwheezy said:
I believe they are talking about Uncharted 3
Gotcha.

One of the big complaints here is that the potato pack is all games that "nobody wants to play." Mangy cow comment above is an example of this. But that's not true. What's bad about these games? The inclusion of Super Meat Boy, Killing Floor, Audiosurf, Defense Grid, and Amnesia is enough to bring it to excellence. What's the problem people seem to have with these games? Some of them are better than high profile releases in their genre.

dream

Crunched said:
One of the big complaints here is that the potato pack is all games that "nobody wants to play." Mangy cow comment above is an example of this. But that's not true. What's bad about these games? The inclusion of Super Meat Boy, Killing Floor, Audiosurf, Defense Grid, and Amnesia is enough to bring it to excellence. What's the problem people seem to have with these games? Some of them are better than high profile releases in their genre.

They're great games but I think the people complaining would rather be playing Portal 2 right now.

Top Bottom