• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Doopliss said:
It's assumed that once all the bars are complete, the last one having just ticked over amidst huge anticipation and excitement, Valve aren't going to say, "Great job guys, now just wait another 10 hours for this timer to finish and Portal 2 to unlock."
So what ARE they going to say?

Assumptions haven't gotten very far so far since theories continue to be proven wrong left and right, with people only disappointing themselves because of some odd theories-turned-facts in the air.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Yeah I'm on a bit of a lockdown as far as Portal 2 spoilers go. I never go on the steam forums anyway but I'm now staying away from the ValveARG IRC, i won't be touching the Portal 2 |OT| Until i'm finished with it (I know what Evilore said, but you never know).

Almost when on /v/, then thought no, If i wanted to avoid spoilers going on /v/ is the stupidest thing i can bloody do.

As I said at the start, I don't care about all this sort of stuff (ARGs and the like). It's just a giant nerd cock tease. Why anybody can be assed with it I do not know. It's fun to follow this thread and see how things are coming along (or not) but I will not be joining in.

Seems to me like Valve just wanting to make some straight cash money, whilst pretending there's more to it. *Unlock Portal 2 early by buying these games in the Potatoe Sack pack!* No thanks, didn't want most of those games in the first place, and I still don't want them at their reduced price.

Kylehimself said:
As I said at the start, I don't care about all this sort of stuff (ARGs and the like). It's just a giant nerd cock tease. Why anybody can be assed with it I do not know. It's fun to follow this thread and see how things are coming along (or not) but I will not be joining in.

Seems to me like Valve just wanting to make some straight cash money, whilst pretending there's more to it. *Unlock Portal 2 early by buying these games in the Potatoe Sack pack!* No thanks, didn't want most of those games in the first place, and I still don't want them at their reduced price.
Okay then.

Kylehimself said:

You should want Super Meat Boy though!

Kylehimself said:

Give Super Meat Boy and Killing Floor a chance!

butter_stick said:
You should want Super Meat Boy though!
Sgt.Pepper said:
Give Super Meat Boy and Killing Floor a chance!
Got it on 360. I also have Killing Floor, but have no ambition to play it any more. Got Amnesia and still haven't played and will only bother when I get the urge to.

Edit: If Mafia II had potatoes I'd of had them coming out the ass this weekend. But alas.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Cogs completing seems to have broken the GLaDOS@Home Enhancer plug-in for Firefox. When it ticked over, 3 hours were added to the countdown timer.

Sethos

Banned
Almost 6000 people on Killing Floor and shit is barely moving, stupid. It has been consistently high and it's the slowest bar.

JaseC

Fox318 said:
Yup. I can't see Portal 2 coming out early simply because of Killing Floor.

Killing Floor has the highest amount of required hours by far. I wouldn't be surprised if the CPU overclocks don't kick in until it becomes the focus.

Red

Sai-kun said:
ElNarez
Banned
(Today, 11:35 AM)
Reply | Quote
Good. Put him on ignore fifteen pages ago.

So what's what now? You guys still saying we're making progress or is God's Beard converting you?

JaseC

Crunched said:
Good. Put him on ignore fifteen pages ago.

So what's what now? You guys still saying we're making progress or is God's Beard converting you?

It's always amusing seeing joke posters go a step too far and end up in the sin bin. Joke posting is an art, really. Drinky Crow should teach a class.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Weenerz said:
Watching the first 20 minutes on youtube, the writing and voice acting are hilarious.

Kvvdc.jpg

Zomba13

Fox318 said:
Yup. I can't see Portal 2 coming out early simply because of Killing Floor.
Well we've already knocked off 4 hours from the original launch time, meaning we'll get it at least 4 hours earlier.

Red

Zomba13 said:
Well we've already knocked off 4 hours from the original launch time, meaning we'll get it at least 4 hours earlier.
But if we don't get that bonus unless all the bars are filled we won't see a release until Thursday.

Zomba13 said:
Which is still 6 hours later than the last 2 L4Ds, and 3 hours later than The Orange Box.

I think Valve miscalculated the algorithm or something, it doesn't seem like they wanted it to take this long.

Then again if that was the case they could've changed it. Bah

Zomba13

Jay Shadow said:
Which is still 6 hours later than the last 2 L4Ds, and 3 hours later than The Orange Box.
Not saying it doesn't suck, and for most people it won't make much of a difference, but it is earlier than what we were told it would be before this ARG started.

Treefingers said:
I think Valve miscalculated the algorithm or something, it doesn't seem like they wanted it to take this long.

Then again if that was the case they could've changed it. Bah
I think they expected 10x more people to take part.

Zomba13

hamchan said:
Or they planned all this out purely to make more money and knew people wouldn't reach the goal. Yes, I went there.
I definitely think they planned this out to make money and advertise Portal 2 but I also think they expected more people to participate/buy the potato sack. I don't think they see it as a failure or anything, just below their expectations, which hopefully means in any future ARG style promotions they adjust the goals and stuff accordingly.

Firehead

12:34 - Dr. Dougley: i need you all to know something
12:34 - Dr. Dougley: something i didnt realize until recently
12:35 - Dr. Dougley: glados assigned people with different jobs but i just now realized thatt
12:35 - Dr. Dougley: whenn she no logenr has a use for osmeone
12:35 - Dr. Dougley: she kills them
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: try and get thhe others to rebel beofre they do anything
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: if glados has a use she wont kill them
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: the first wave of the infected are already dead
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: except me
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: well not for long
12:36 - Dr. Dougley: put this on the wiki sprread the wrod
12:37 - Dr. Dougley: do not let any more ide

Riiiight.

Red

WARP10CK said:
The Ball could also be a problem not that many seems to playing that either
The Ball is the one potato pack game I'm missing, and I'm guessing overall it's one of the less popular ones in the pack.

kamspy

I don't have Toki or Bit Trip. I guess I should start idling Audiosurf now?

Cogs was really neat. I got it in a Humble Bundle I think (really can't remember how I got it), and never played it until now.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Jeez... You would think that the speed should ramp up as it gets closer to completion and as there are less games to spread the people but nope it certainly seems like its just crawling along at the same pace as always (fucking slow).

Sleep time for me, hopefully by the time I wake up two (or hopefully three more games have released and we're well on the way to release.

What time is the USA do steam games usually release? Is midnight Monday the regular release time?

classicdms

Neo Member
WARP10CK said:
The Ball could also be a problem not that many seems to playing that either
I legit just played through and beat The Ball. about 7 hours to get through. Good puzzle game with an anticlimactic ending. That last puzzle made no sense to me. I straight up youtubed the solution.

But ya, I'm still idling Meat Boy cuz it's the game I own other than The Ball, but I've lost hope. I'm just keeping up with it in case Valve decide to just release the shit outta nowhere.

epmode

Crunched said:
The Ball is the one potato pack game I'm missing, and I'm guessing overall it's one of the less popular ones in the pack.
It may not be very popular but I'd say that it has the most impressive Portal-related update.

Salacious Crumb

All the effort everyone's putting into this is certainly helping those of us in the +10 time zone. At this rate the game will release at about 5-7 pm here, and I have the following day off. :D

Top Bottom