• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Hylian7

Drkirby said:
Just wait till 450k Potatoes, surely then!
Try 500k.....
If we're lucky or Valve is feeling merciful.

I do wonder what they're going to say if this ends up coming out on Tuesday. Will it be "We are disappointed in all of you!" or "You got the game early (by 3 hours), congratulations! It's all thanks to your help in rebooting Glados!"

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
drumrollxu54.gif

Jintor

Hylian7 said:
Try 500k.....
If we're lucky or Valve is feeling merciful.

I do wonder what they're going to say if this ends up coming out on Tuesday. Will it be "We are disappointed in all of you!" or "You got the game early (by 3 hours), congratulations! It's all thanks to your help in rebooting Glados!"

GlaDoS will be insulting, but Valve will be all "Oh nah, that was GlaDoS"

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
48 POTATOES TO GO! THIS IS IT, 450K!

:/

It's gonna be 500,000 and we're not gonna bloody hit it in time for it to make any effect ¬_¬

Canti

syoaran said:
Your hope is infectious, stop it!
Damn, it just passed :lol Sorry!

I only got swept up in this whole thing after a friend gifted it to me on Friday, wasted my time like so many others >:

cindres said:
It's gonna be 500,000 and we're not gonna bloody hit it in time for it to make any effect ¬_¬
More than likely. With games like Killing Floor and Amnesia not even completing by then either, to try more would be an exercise in futility.

MrMister said:
There's a bunch of talk in #PotatoFoolsDay chat that completely dropping the CPU cycles (AKA not playing any potato game at all) will force GLaDOS to use the potatoes we've collected. The definition of auxiliary power reflects this.
Are you telling us that the potatos are a lie?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's comforting to know that in less than 24 hours I will be playing Portal 2.

StuBurns

Banned
They should just admit this was an idiotic idea and unlock the game right now as some sort of apology for wasting time and electricity.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
StuBurns said:
They should just admit this was an idiotic idea and unlock the game right now as some sort of apology for wasting time and electricity.
I am still on the idea that no one is actually around to do anything. Valve has shown with TF2 over the years, that despite Gabe suggesting otherwise, no one actually does any work at Valve during the Weekend. When was the last time you have ever seen a patch for a Valve game on Saturday, even when a game has some critical issue caused by a Friday Patch?

Drkirby said:
I am still on the idea that no one is actually around to do anything. Valve has shown with TF2 over the years, that despite Gabe suggesting otherwise, no one actually does any work at Valve during the Weekend. When was the last time you have ever seen a patch for a Valve game on Saturday, even when a game has some critical issue caused by a Friday Patch?
This whole thing has to be someone's baby, though. Right? Surely someone at Valve would at least be checking up on it from home over the weekend.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
matrix-cat said:
This whole thing has to be someone's baby, though. Right? Surely someone at Valve would at least be checking up on it from home over the weekend.

The only person at Valve is the single weekend cleaner, who is right at this very moment dicking around in an almost complete built of Episode 3.

shuyin_

Banned
Are people still struggling playing the games?
I guess no overclocking since the game will still release tuesday mornging in here.

syoaran

Drkirby said:

I got to disagree. This is not a patch, its the launch of their most important product in the last few years (and probably the only product launching this year). I'd imagine it's quite a relaxed attitude for anyone that's not play testing or working on Steam, but when the game launches they have to be ready for any problems, particularly when you realise this is the first time Steam is launching on a console and there are bound to be many issues with this when it comes to conveying the change to the customer.

EVIL

Drkirby said:
This whole ARG is so big, you really think valve would be as dumb as to leave it on without checking on it? comon!

EatChildren said:
The only person at Valve is the single weekend cleaner, who is right at this very moment dicking around in an almost complete built of Episode 3.

funny because it true, and also funny in its own right.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
EVIL said:
This whole ARG is so big, you really think valve would be as dumb as to leave it on without checking on it? comon!
Valve has left games near broken over the weekend with Friday Patches a bunch of times. Yes, I do.

Hylian7

Interesting development from the wiki, POSSIBLE SPOILER ABOUT THE GAME'S FILES, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED:
http://valvearg.com/wiki/E1912.bsp
(spoiler box is a link)

Canti

Hylian7 said:
Interesting development from the wiki, POSSIBLE SPOILER ABOUT THE GAME'S FILES <snip>
Without clicking on the link, is it in any way linked to the ARG or the release time? Don't want to click it only to get a face full of Portal 2 game spoilers.

Hylian7

Canti said:
Without clicking on the link, is it in any way linked to the ARG or the release time? Don't want to click it only to get a face full of Portal 2 game spoilers.
All there is is a map file name, nothing else significant about the game. That page is literally 3 lines long.

I'm just making sure to spoil anything people might possibly not want to know. I don't consider this a spoiler myself, but others may disagree, so I'm doing it for their sake.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Canti said:
It is a file called E1912.bsp, and is only found in the Computer Versions of the game. Some speculate it may have something to do with the ARG.

Thats it.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
EatChildren said:
i think you underestimate the dedication of the kinds of people who work at companies like valve. i doubt a day goes by that there's isn't some developer at valve (except maybe the big ones like christmas day, new years etc.)

IceMarker

At this rate the game will release while I'm at work... such bullshit on my end.
The typical "Valve Alarm" is usually 10am PST, when they change sales, release updates, etc. So I'm hoping something happens by then.

Covfan said:
Maybe something will happen when Boot Process gets to 80% [/straw_clutching]
Better chance of 500k Potatoes doing something, even then I think at this point playing games is all we can do, and even then it's pointless.

IF all of this happens and we dont even get it released early. Valve failed.
How the fuck can you make a game so vague so community driven, and leave it so everyone just fails.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Scrow said:
i think you underestimate the dedication of the kinds of people who work at companies like valve. i doubt a day goes by that there's isn't some developer at valve (except maybe the big ones like christmas day, new years etc.)

Whoosh?

GABDEG

Drkirby said:
It is a file called E1912.bsp, and is only found in the Computer Versions of the game. Some speculate it may have something to do with the ARG.

Thats it.
PC version to get exclusive EP3 tie-in.

Covfan

Mister_Bubbles said:
Just don't do it to yourself, man. Don't fall into that trap.

It's dark down here :(

Seriously, part of me does wonder if this will have anything to do with the Portal 2 game, if GLaDOS is in it then maybe she mentions that they booted her up too early and you'll have to do some challenges in order to "wake her up".

Krauser Kat said:
How the fuck can you make a game so vague so community driven, and leave it so everyone just fails.

I think even if we get it released for the evening before this whole thing is going to feel like one big failure.

shuyin_

Banned
Krauser Kat said:
No, Valve already failed (even if it releases early). I'm just surprised you can't see it.

A weekend's worth of work, for a few hours that for some (like me) won't make ANY difference at all. And you're telling me this isn't an epic fail? How?

I have 16 potatoes at the moment and, while I have a lot of work to do, I am severely tempted to go home and work on getting the rest before it launches. Think it's possible?

Arozay

Ninja Kn1ght said:
I have 16 potatoes at the moment and, while I have a lot of work to do, I am severely tempted to go home and work on getting the rest before it launches. Think it's possible?
Depends, what games?

EatChildren

Hay.

Hay guys.

You know what happened in 1912?

Can you guess?

I'll give you a clue.

It involved a boat.

Falt

Something something not the destination but the journey, or something.

Quick thought: Someone should start a boycott steam group. That'll show 'em!

deleted

EatChildren said:
Hay.

Hay guys.

You know what happened in 1912?

Can you guess?

I'll give you a clue.

It involved a boat.

Don't raise any hope. Its gonna get crushed.

Episode 3 Trailer coming :)

Top Bottom