• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Crunched said:
Not sure what you're talking about. Each game reduces the timer so the "end" of the ARG is brought closer with every full bar.

Prevailing theory is that once all games are finished Portal 2 will instantly unlock.

Which, unless Valve hits the red button, doesn't seem likely at this point.

Crunched said:
Not sure what you're talking about. Each game reduces the timer so the "end" of the ARG is brought closer with every full bar.

Prevailing theory is that once all games are finished Portal 2 will instantly unlock.

Well that's my point. With the pace this is going at now (~25% per day), and with the amount of time each game is subtracting (30 - 50 minutes), we won't need to finish all the games for Portal 2 to launch.

Jenga

Banned
Trouble said:
It fucking better.
does it matter?

at this pace the original schedule will pass before the bars are completed

it all depends on whenever the fuck valve wants to do the potato multiplier

and even then...well shit. let's hope it's as big as a boost as possible.

Red

Zombie James said:
Well that's my point. With the pace this is going at now (~25% per day), and with the amount of time each game is subtracting (30 - 50 minutes), we won't need to finish all the games for Portal 2 to launch.
Well yeah. But if all the bars stopped moving right now we wouldn't need to finish all the games for Portal 2 to launch. I still don't know what you're trying to say.

Sibylus

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Which, unless Valve hits the red button, doesn't seem likely at this point.
Yeah, the time on the clock is swiftly running out. If we do finish them all, my guess is we'll save another hour or two (because chances are by that point, the timer will have nearly run out :p).

Twig

Banned
Zombie James said:
FYI, it's been a little over 24 hours since we've hit 50% and we're now at 75.5. If the same pace continues, this whole thing should be done by ~3AM EST tomorrow... BUT... this is really weird.

Ok, so, as it stands right now the game will launch around 4:30AM EST tomorrow, but there are six games left to finish. Assuming each game decreases the time by 40 minutes, the game could be unlocked before the ARG is even completed.

Unless I got my math wrong?
The big bar is an average of all of the small bars.

Each small bar that is complete offers a "bonus" decrement to the countdown.

As Crunched said, the prevailing theory is that if all small bars are filled (AKA the full bar is filled), then Portal 2 will be released instantly. If the full bar is never filled, then we have to wait until the timer reaches zero. The rate at which they're going makes it seem like the bar WON'T be filled, unfortunately. Though we still get to keep the bonus decrements. EDIT: I was too slow. You already came to this conclusion. Nevermind!

Red

Stabby McSter said:
What's the fastest way to get the potatoes in Toki Tori? Actually playing the game? D:
Yes. It's great, why try to avoid it?

Zombie James said:
Ok, maybe I wasn't understanding it fully.
You were seeming to imply that Portal 2's release was dependent on all bars filling, but that's crazy. It'll be released at the end of the timer. What a cruel task it would be if we needed to fill every bar to see a release at all.

I'm hoping those bars fill before the timer hits 0 but I'm not holding my breath at this point. The ship has sailed and sank and there are barnacles growing on it now. Excitement will pick back up on release but for now we can wallow in our Gabe given despair.

Crunched said:
Yes. It's great, why try to avoid it?
It's not that, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm just trying to power through these potatoes. :(

I plan on deleting all of the games and starting fresh afterwards and actually ENJOY the games.

Red

Stabby McSter said:
It's not that, I'm really enjoying the game. I'm just trying to power through these potatoes. :(

I plan on deleting all of the games and starting fresh afterwards and actually ENJOY the games.
I haven't tried for the Toki Tori potatoes but they shouldn't take long. There are probably walkthroughs on the wiki.

They aren't like Rush or Defense Grid where you need to play through the whole game.

Twig

Banned
Stabby McSter said:

You don't get the Toki Tori potatoes in the main game.

Make a new oh wow brainfart what's it called a new account, no, a new name, no, a new... GODDAMNIT.

A new thing. Make a new thing called "#PotatoFoolsDay". Play those levels. Unlock the bonus levels. Follow the instructions located somewhere in this mess of a page! http://valvearg.com/wiki/Toki_Tori

Crunched said:
The ship has sailed and sank and there are barnacles growing on it now.
BOREALIS? (technically not sunkened if all is to be believed, but never you mind those FACTS)

Morkins

Banned
People have bailed on the game now and the people who assumed that the progression was constant have been proven wrong(it is leveling off and becoming slower now that the community has given up).

I also feel like my explanation of the way that progression is calculated has been validated. The progression appears to be time adjusted relating to the "growth" versus the normal traffic. But, not that the community has bailed, the progression is slowing because the curve is even closer to the "normal" traffic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Twig said:

Make a new oh wow brainfart what's it called a new account, no, a new name, no, a new... GODDAMNIT.

A new thing. Make a new thing called "#PotatoFoolsDay". Play those levels. Unlock the bonus levels. Follow the instructions located somewhere in this mess of a page! http://valvearg.com/wiki/Toki_Tori

BOREALIS? (technically not sunkened if all is to be believed, but never you mind those FACTS)
They are called Profiles.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Morkins said:
People have bailed on the game now and the people who assumed that the progression was constant have been proven wrong(it is leveling off and becoming slower now that the community has given up).

I also feel like my explanation of the way that progression is calculated has been validated. The progression appears to be time adjusted relating to the "growth" versus the normal traffic. But, not that the community has bailed, the progression is slowing because the curve is even closer to the "normal" traffic.

Cant blame people for leaving. The game is guarentied to launch in ~24 hours. Not really much point trying shave off an hour or whatever now.

IceMarker

Just woke up after sleeping 9 hours, can say now that I'm very disappointed in Valve for letting this drag on to Monday, but then again I can't say I'm surprised either, I'm done helping the ARG.

EDIT: My only glimmer of hope remaining in Valve was the original theory that the Overclock occurs at 500,000 potatoes, I had this thought as soon as I saw the Overclock email. Then again it's already way too late and if Portal 2 doesn't unlock in 6 hours Valve can fuck off.

Doopliss

Morkins said:

There are diminishing returns on the number of CPUs, that accounts for the relatively small changes in progress rate we have seen as numbers fluctuate over the course of each day.

MrMister said:
Just woke up after sleeping 9 hours, can say now that I'm very disappointed in Valve for letting this drag on to Monday, but then again I can't say I'm surprised either, I'm done helping the ARG.
Another awakened one!

This is fixed by the way.

Hylian7

To those that have given up, the least you can do is run a game to help us out to hopefully get it tomorrow. Even if you're not sitting at your computer, don't you think it would be better to possibly contribute than not contribute? I can understand not wanting to run of the potato sack games when you're using your computer, but when you're away, you should leave one idling to help us out here. Even if it is fixed, at least you tried to help.

I hope we still get it Monday at least, I don't have class til 1 on Tuesday, so that's the largest amount of time or me to play it.

I can't help but feel Valve either overestimated the interest and fervor people would apply to this, or they really are just trolling everyone.

I honestly expected the game to unlock by Sunday night.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, The Ball's extra content is reallllly well done. Great introduction to the mechanics of the ball and amazing atmosphere. My 2nd favorite so far.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hawkian said:
Wow, The Ball's extra content is reallllly well done. Great introduction to the mechanics of the ball and amazing atmosphere. My 2nd favorite so far.

Yeah, it really is. My favourite of the bunch.

Hylian7

Hawkian said:
Agreed, some great Glados quotes there too. I particularly liked the one about "smashing everything with that big dumb ball of yours."

I would have to say the Amnesia stuff was #1 though. I still need to finish it though.

Twig said:

wooow, these potatoes are totally fucking me up. first it's the potato i missed in defense grid for being stupid, and now it's me not making a new profile. :(

JaseC

Hylian7 said:
Agreed, some great Glados quotes there too. I particularly liked the one about "smashing everything with that big dumb ball of yours."

I would have to say the Amnesia stuff was #1 though. I still need to finish it though.

Did Ellen McLain voice GLaDOS for the non-stock voice samples? It sounded like somebody else and while I realise that may very well have been the intention, I'm curious.

It would be strange if Valve didn't have McLain record a few more lines for The Ball considering Defense Grid got the full GLaDOS treatment.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Yay I finally finished The Ball. Love that game so much, glad I was able to complete it before taking on Portal 2.

Hylian7

JaseC said:
Did Ellen McLain voice GLaDOS for the non-stock voice samples? It sounded like somebody else and while I realise that may very well have been the intention, I'm curious.
The one in the Ball definitely sounded different, so for that one possibly. The other ones did actually sound like her. Who knows though. Remember how different she sounded during most of Portal 1 until you did a certain thing:
Incinerating the morality core

Her voice changed quite a lot after that, and her voice in The Ball seemed to sort of have that tone.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. This last day sucks so much, intense progress on Sunday, to everyone giving up Sunday night, slowing down progress to a crawl.

It's like an anti-clutch moment happened with this ARG. Bravo, Valve. Now, should I idle Audiosurf overnight or SMB?

JaseC

Hylian7 said:
The one in the Ball definitely sounded different, so for that one possibly. The other ones did actually sound like her. Who knows though. Remember how different she sounded during most of Portal 1 until you did a certain thing:
Incinerating the morality core

Her voice changed quite a lot after that, and her voice in The Ball seemed to sort of have that tone.

Yeah, I know. My post was specifically within the context of The Ball, as provided by your own post.

It's been a long time since I've played Portal, so I can't recall the change in tone, but I don't doubt you.

Hylian7

enzo_gt said:
Wow. This last day sucks so much, intense progress on Sunday, to everyone giving up Sunday night, slowing down progress to a crawl.

It's like an anti-clutch moment happened with this ARG. Bravo, Valve. Now, should I idle Audiosurf overnight or SMB?
The Ball.

The Firefox addon indicates that both Audiosurf and SMB will take longer than The Ball to finish. I would bet that's probably accurate, and it looks like The Ball will be easiest to get done next.

The remaining 5 games after that will be a bitch though, as they are all fairly popular, although I'm not sure I believe that Defense Grid will require more hours than Amnesia, Audiosurf, or Super Meat Boy, although, people definitely actually want to play those games. Killing Floor might also go down quickly since it's multiplayer.

IceMarker

I thought Valve's business philosophy was all about treating the customer right... I guess releasing Portal 2 about 6 hours early justifies that point in their eyes.

JaseC

MrMister said:
I thought Valve's business philosophy was all about treating the customer right... I guess releasing Portal 2 about 6 hours early justifies that point in their eyes.

Do you mean to imply that they're not treating their customers right from where you stand?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hylian7 said:
The Ball.

The Firefox addon indicates that both Audiosurf and SMB will take longer than The Ball to finish. I would bet that's probably accurate, and it looks like The Ball will be easiest to get done next.

The remaining 5 games after that will be a bitch though, as they are all fairly popular, although I'm not sure I believe that Defense Grid will require more hours than Amnesia, Audiosurf, or Super Meat Boy, although, people definitely actually want to play those games. Killing Floor might also go down quickly since it's multiplayer.
I only have SMB and Audiosurf. Which will it be?

IceMarker

JaseC said:
Do you mean to imply that they're not treating their customers right from where you stand?
I think that, yes, even though Valve can do whatever they want, the power they supposedly have over many of their customers has caused many of us to lose sleep, for one example, in anticipations of wild theories that the game we all so dearly want have caused many people to turn their back on the company after they have dangled a carrot in front of our faces. I, for one, pre-ordered Portal 2 as soon as I saw the text indicating 4/15/2011 was a release date, but sadly I should've asked for my money back and pre-ordered the game from Amazon for $10 cheaper with same day shipping.

enzo_gt said:
I only have SMB and Audiosurf. Which will it be?
AudioSurf.

JaseC

MrMister said:
I think that, yes, even though Valve can do whatever they want, the power they supposedly have over many of their customers has caused many of us to lose sleep, for one example, in anticipations of wild theories that the game we all so dearly want have caused many people to turn their back on the company after they have dangled a carrot in front of our faces. I, for one, pre-ordered Portal 2 as soon as I saw the text indicating 4/15/2011 was a release date, but sadly I should've asked for my money back and pre-ordered the game from Amazon for $10 cheaper with same day shipping.

I see.

I've been running Toki Tori, Super Meat Boy and Audiosurf almost continuously since the countdown began, quitting and restarting every now and then to 'bank' my hours just in case it works that way, and that just seems ridiculous. It was a great idea of Valve's to give us a worthwhile incentive to play some Indie games that we otherwise might have ignored but, seriously, who could realistically pump forty hours or more into some of these games over a weekend? Most of the games can be completed 100% in ten hours at the very outside, and they aren't all exactly keepers.

I don't want to whine, I'm happy to get Portal 2 any stretch earlier than it would otherwise have released, but I have to agree with the people who say Valve drastically overestimated the percentage of their userbase who would play along. I mean, if it really was their intent to stick to a Tuesday release they could have begun this countdown on Sunday morning instead of Friday night and lessened the number of CPUs required, or just included more games in the Potato pack so we'd be finishing games more often. Unless PotatOverdrive suddenly kicks in right about now this has been a pretty damn boring weekend event.

Fredescu

JaseC said:
Valve are known for games of extremely high quality. While this ARG is obviously experimental, it clearly has had some pacing issues and issues with setting customer expectations. This perhaps would be ok if it weren't clear that at least some people have paid to take part. I think Gabe would agree that delivering a "product" such as this ARG which disappointed many customers is not "treating their customers right".

I am sort of playing devils advocate. I don't particularly care about the ARG and I'm not disappointed that I'm not playing Portal 2 RIGHT NOW. I can understand why people invested heavily in it might be disappointed though.

Top Bottom