• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Kritz

Banned
Fredescu said:
I am sort of playing devils advocate. I don't particularly care about the ARG and I'm not disappointed that I'm not playing Portal 2 RIGHT NOW. I can understand why people invested heavily in it might be disappointed though.

For some reason, empathy and self entitlement are like synonyms on this board.

Hylian7

Fredescu said:
Valve are known for games of extremely high quality. While this ARG is obviously experimental, it clearly has had some pacing issues and issues with setting customer expectations. This perhaps would be ok if it weren't clear that at least some people have paid to take part. I think Gabe would agree that delivering a "product" such as this ARG which disappointed many customers is not "treating their customers right".

I am sort of playing devils advocate. I don't particularly care about the ARG and I'm not disappointed that I'm not playing Portal 2 RIGHT NOW. I can understand why people invested heavily in it might be disappointed though.
I agree. I had planned my weekend around Portal 2 releasing sometime during the weekend, and instead I spent the whole weekend watching bars move, idling games, and trying to get potatoes (which still don't do anything). Now it looks like it may release Monday at best, which really sucks because I was hoping to spend the weekend playing. Like I said, I planned my weekend around it and then this happened.

Just so we're clear, the clues I was referring to were the results from the Bathysphere puzzle (4/19/2011 = 4/15/2011) and the Gaijin Games blog entry saying "You might just help get Portal 2 released early." It was really misleading and a bad move on Valve's part.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Well BIT.TRIP Was at least finioshed while i was asleep. Was hoping to see the potatoes go up more than this though.
At this rate it looks like no matter what i will be playing this tomorrow morning now (9:30am GMT Right now).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As I said in the other thread, the disappointment for me is that it's such a fucking shitty way to end an otherwise phenominal ARG. The whole cross game content, treasure hunting and puzzle solving premise was utter genius. I wasn't an active player in the ARG, but I loved following the story and enjoyed the content that was made available in the games I own, as well as of course potato hunting.

Then, as has been said, Valve went and turned a game into work. Monotonous, grinding, unstimulating work. All the cleverness of it's structure and community involvement has been significantly devalued, entirely because of this abysmal ending.

It's not even about the payoff. If it were about the payoff, then yeah that sucks too. A few hours early unlock really means sweet fuck all. But even if it's about 'the game', the actual discovery of challenges, and the sense of reward and accomplishment when solutions are found, they've screwed it up by having the final part nothing more than a grind.

I dont know what Valve's intentions were here. Maybe they expected stronger involvement and thought everything would go faster. In that case they fucked up. Maybe this was a means of encouraging people to play a bunch of great indy games. Well, they fucked up there too, as people are just idling, or rage quitting from the monotony of it all. The 'taters were actually doing a better job of this. Or maybe this is all just one big scam on Valve's end, and they're full of shit in claiming that there's genuine community drive input and math going on. If that's the case, then obviously they fucked up there too.

Valve done fucked up. It's their own fault people are upset with this, for better or worse reasons, and I hope they're taking notes.

Fredescu

EatChildren said:
I hope they're taking notes.
It wouldn't be Valve if they weren't. They've always talked up the idea of making a product, getting feedback, then making it better. The trouble with an ARG is you only get one shot each time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Beat The Ball content. The best GlaDOS line was "those monkeys were thousands of years old. I guess the caretakers didn't count on you smashing them in the face."

That's 31. Let's see what's left!

hamchan

I think this was all carefully planned out by Valve. If they really did overestimate participation they could have sped up the bars or something.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
Just got home from work after going to sleep last night and going to work and not checking it at all today.

I was hoping / expecting it to be done in the next three hours but there is still 24 hours on the clock? That means it seems to be coming a full day after I expected it too... Now, the normal release for me would have been Tuesday night anyway but as it stand ill be playing portal 2 when I get home from work tomorrow at about 7pm.

That makes getting home from work tomorrow FUCKING exciting, but I came home tonight a bit excited and hoping to see it ready to go today.

Seems like things REALLY slowed down today.

And to those people saying things like "you're upset because valve is releasing it early, what is wrong with you" well, its going to be coming out on Tuesday. Seems to me the original launch date wad tuesday. Guess that means its not coming out early then... Thus, this whole thing was a farce.

I don't have the 36 potatoes so I really hope that the reward kinda sucks otherwise ill be smacking my forehead for not getting them.

If its real good, they better god damn allow people to collect them afterwards.

hamchan said:
I think this was all carefully planned out by Valve. If they really did overestimate participation they could have sped up the bars or something.

Maybe, maybe not.

If this occurred over the weekday when they had everyone at valve to make sure any changes to the system didn't royally fuck everything up I would totally agree.

As it is, they might have decided it was better to leave it an hope that the number of ppl participating would increase since that is less risky than potentially ruining already established code

Original-Blue

Neo Member
hamchan said:
Well that dude who kept saying his mate who worked at valve was still working on the pc version so maybe they haven't quite finished polishing it yet and really there has been no intention of releasing it early or not.

We'll know if it was true if there is another download and patch at or before it releases.

I really dislike that only 5.5 hours has been saved. Simply put the only thing that has affected anything and made it launch earlier was filling up the bars for the games... How boringly pathetic, and the hundreds of thousands if potatos that were collected have done jack shit it seems.

Original-Blue said:
Well that dude who kept saying his mate who worked at valve was still working on the pc version so maybe they haven't quite finished polishing it yet and really there has been no intention of releasing it early or not.

We'll know if it was true if there is another download and patch at or before it releases.

I really dislike that only 5.5 hours has been saved. Simply put the only thing that has affected anything and made it launch earlier was filling up the bars for the games... How boringly pathetic, and the hundreds of thousands if potatos that were collected have done jack shit it seems.

I really really really doubt all those potatoes were collected. I'm pretty certain that a good number of those were just plugged in by Valve.

Twig said:
...to what end?

Who knows. But do you really think 400,000 plus potatoes were collected by the, say 35,000 people who participated? Not to mention how consistently they were earned... The potatoes, more than anything else, seems suspicious to me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hylian7 said:
Agreed, some great Glados quotes there too. I particularly liked the one about "smashing everything with that big dumb ball of yours."

I would have to say the Amnesia stuff was #1 though. I still need to finish it though.

Justine, the more I think about it, is seriously brilliant stuff. I wonder if there are any parallels between
why she and GlaDOS are the way they are

"Who knows. But do you really think 400,000 plus potatoes were collected by the, say 35,000 people who participated? Not to mention how consistently they were earned... The potatoes, more than anything else, seems suspicious to me."

36 * 35,000.

This is just using the silly 35,000 number you created, but yeah.

Twig

Banned
Nappuccino said:
Who knows. But do you really think 400,000 plus potatoes were collected by the, say 35,000 people who participated? Not to mention how consistently they were earned... The potatoes, more than anything else, seems suspicious to me.
450 000 / 35 000 = 12.8571429

About 13 potatoes per proposed participant (pppppppp) on average. Doesn't seem unreasonable at all. 13 is significantly less than half of the total hidden potatoes.

StuBurns

Banned
Hey Gaf, I was wondering since the console versions leaked a few days ago, there must be technical information about their performance out right? I've not heard any, is it safe to say they're both solid start to finish? What about things like loading? Have they masked it this time around?

The reason I'm not asking in the official thread is last time I went in there were ending spoilers being discussed, even to a degree without tags, so I'd rather not risk it.

Twig said:
450 000 / 35 000 = 12.8571429

About 13 potatoes per proposed participant (pppppppp) on average. Doesn't seem unreasonable at all. 13 is significantly less than half of the total hidden potatoes.

I suppose. However most ppl I know only have 4-5 (I know its not good to use personal experience but I honestly have encountered very few ppl with over 10 potatoes.)

I'm curious about how much time will be deducted when Audiosurf is finished. So far the maximum has been 60 mins. So far is looks like the amount of time deducted when the bar is filled depends on how much it has sold/how much it has been played. Audiosurf is pretty old and has probably sold pretty well compared to the other completed titles.

I also really hope the Portal content stays. Seem like The Ball's content is pretty good and I think I'll get the game someday.

Plasma

Banned
Just seems like a bit of a waste by the looks of it the game is still coming out on Tuesday, I can't see all these bars getting filled today.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nappuccino said:
Eh, not really, the rate the Potatoes have been gathering at has been going down.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Fredescu said:
Valve are known for games of extremely high quality. While this ARG is obviously experimental, it clearly has had some pacing issues and issues with setting customer expectations. This perhaps would be ok if it weren't clear that at least some people have paid to take part. I think Gabe would agree that delivering a "product" such as this ARG which disappointed many customers is not "treating their customers right".

Agreed.

OmegaDragon said:
I'm curious about how much time will be deducted when Audiosurf is finished. So far the maximum has been 60 mins. So far is looks like the amount of time deducted when the bar is filled depends on how much it has sold/how much it has been played. Audiosurf is pretty old and has probably sold pretty well compared to the other completed titles.
We're definitely getting into the harder-to-finish games, so hopefully Audiosurf will knock a good chunk out. The 60 minute game was AAAAAAA, I believe, and Audiosurf has been out for much longer and undoubtedly has had more sales.

It looks like people are giving up on Killing Floor, though, and I don't think it would have been finished in time even with the 5-6000 CPUs it was averaging for the last couple of days.

JaseC

matrix-cat said:
We're definitely getting into the harder-to-finish games, so hopefully Audiosurf will knock a good chunk out. The 60 minute game was AAAAAAA, I believe, and Audiosurf has been out for much longer and undoubtedly has had more sales.

It looks like people are giving up on Killing Floor, though, and I don't think it would have been finished in time even with the 5-6000 CPUs it was averaging for the last couple of days.

Killing Floor's hour requirement is stupid. 1.2m stupid, to be exact, assuming the scripts are correct with the maths. That's just under three times the amount of the second highest; Defense Grid, with 450k.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
It is a bit disapointing that the Game didn't actually come out sooner, I could of just bought the game at best buy for far less. Oh well, at least I only payed $40 for the game.

Killing Floor's hour requirement is stupid. 1.2m stupid, to be exact, assuming the scripts are correct with the maths. That's just under three times the amount of the second highest; Defense Grid, with 450k.
I can somewhat understand the logic, since Killing Floor has a sizeable active player base. Unless Valve Flips some Magic switch on Monday, I am not expecting to play the game till Tuesday.

OmegaDragon said:
I also really hope the Portal content stays. Seem like The Ball's content is pretty good and I think I'll get the game someday.

Money was paid by customers who bought the games to play that content, so I can't imagine a blunder of that magnitude.

JaseC

I love that Steamworks games at retail don't have any obnoxious/unnecessary strips that ruin the cover. Yes, GFW/L, I'm talking about you.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
electristan said:
and now the game is on store shelves. This is at Taget it seems

http://i.imgur.com/7ftMm.jpg

OR maybe this is a sign that the game will be relesed today omg omg
:(

There's going to be some sour grapes from those not in the know who buy it, get home, and learn they cant play it.

JaseC said:
I love that Steamworks games at retail don't have any obnoxious/unnecessary strips that ruin the cover. Yes, GFW/L, I'm talking about you.

also that valve games at 49.99 and not 59.99 like all the games around it. not that this affects me in europe but its nice to see.

EatChildren said:
There's going to be some sour grapes from those not in the know who buy it, get home, and learn they cant play it.

to true

Jintor

Fredescu said:
It wouldn't be Valve if they weren't. They've always talked up the idea of making a product, getting feedback, then making it better. The trouble with an ARG is you only get one shot each time.

They have the ability to introduce new elements into the ARG on a real-time level - though it is admittedly a race against the fans.

Plasma

Banned
iSimon said:

Is that thing broken? Says the game is coming out Wednesday.

Can't blame people for dropping out and not bothering any more though, really doubt we'll finish up all the games.

Ah well guess I'll leave Audiosurf on anyway, you never know maybe Valve will take pity on us ):

JaseC

electristan said:
also that valve games at 49.99 and not 59.99 like all the games around it. not that this affects me in europe but its nice to see.

Even Black Ops is cheaper than the GFW/L titles. What a bizarre world we live in!

IceMarker

There's a bunch of talk in #PotatoFoolsDay chat that completely dropping the CPU cycles (AKA not playing any potato game at all) will force GLaDOS to use the potatoes we've collected. The definition of auxiliary power reflects this.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JaseC said:
Even Black Ops is cheaper than the GFW/L titles. What a bizarre world we live in!
Bit disappointing to see Fallout NV Cheaper in Retail the on Steam (It is a Steam Works Title)

There's a bunch of talk in #PotatoFoolsDay chat that completely dropping the CPU cycles (AKA not playing any potato game at all) will force GLaDOS to use the potatoes we've collected. The definition of auxiliary power reflects this.
I think I remember seeing a few hints that back this up. "The only solution is not to play"

EatChildren

MrMister said:

Yeah, not going to happen, and just more grasping at straws.

It's over.

Plasma said:
Is that thing broken? Says the game is coming out Wednesday.

Can't blame people for dropping out and not bothering any more though, really doubt we'll finish up all the games.

Ah well guess I'll leave Audiosurf on anyway, you never know maybe Valve will take pity on us ):

Don't forgot that the weekend is over. I hope Audiosurf is completed, just to see much time is deducted. But I think it's save to say that we probably won't see any changes in the timer anymore (unless the magical potato overclock somehow happens).

JaseC

Drkirby said:
Bit disappointing to see Fallout NV Cheaper in Retail the on Steam (It is a Steam Works Title)

Bethesda: Fucking digital distribution, how does it work?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
OmegaDragon said:
Don't forgot that the weekend is over. I hope Audiosurf is completed, just to see much time is deducted. But I think it's save to say that we probably won't see any changes in the timer anymore (unless the magical potato overclock somehow happens).
Just wait till 450k Potatoes, surely then!

Tacitus_

While the grind was disappointing, at least the game comes out Tuesday morning instead of Tuesday evening in my timezone. Since I have no school on Tuesday this gives me time to go through the game in one siting.

Top Bottom