• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
TheBez said:
What was the L4D2 fiasco?

L4D2 was supposed to launch at a specific date, people were watching the "THIS GAME WILL UNLOCK IN..." timer, and when that reached zero and nothing happened people sort of went apeshit. The game technically launched on time, but it was several hours after the time everyone was counting down for. Several people in some timezones stayed up crazy late in hopes of playing that night, only to realize that the game simply wasn't coming out when they thought it was.

And, much like this, I suspect people will forget all about it soon after the actual game came out.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FUUUUUCKING FUCK!

I totally don't get what's going on but those potatoes are doing something!

So how are people getting access? Potato related?

clav

So if I'm right about this, according to the code, when variable g_bEnded = true, then the countdown is over, and the game will supposedly release.

10:50 - Engaging starch-based power cells
11:00 - Reboot safety test protocol initiated...
11:00 - Relaxation chamber locks released...
11:00 - Involuntary hazard mitigation associates have assumed testing positions...
11:00 - Pre-release lethality assessment initiated...

WHERE ARE THE POTATOES GOING

f0rk

claviertekky said:
So if I'm right about this, according to the code, when variable g_bEnded = true, then the countdown is over, and the game will supposedly release.

And is that just a switch on their end?

Raxus said:
Remember when everyone was pissed off in this thread? Yea...
We're just excited that something is actually happening. It's going to take about 12 hours to get the potato count to zero, I hope we don't have to wait until then, but we probably do...

Zomba13

From wiki:
gman.jpg

Hmmmm?

Gandie

claviertekky said:

g_bEnded

gabEndead

gaben dead

:O

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Raxus said:
It was still poorly handled if we were made to be disappointed in favour of a reward. And yet still, this isn't super early like it would have been ideal.

BUT, early Portal 2 is early Portal 2.

clav

f0rk said:
And is that just a switch on their end?
Seems like it. There's a variable called "target" that has only two mentions in the code, so this value has to be obtained somewhere, possibly a Valve employee who controls this value.

Sethos

Banned
It's just to symbolize GLaDOS consuming the potatoes to boot up, had people only gathered 100 potatoes, the countdown would just be really, really slow. It's all part of the show, game won't unlock any earlier than the countdown. Settle down people, go do something productive :p

Weenerz

Banned
Was tempted to come home early from work, but it won't be done for like 6 hours, and my shift will almost be over by then. Still neat though!

kamspy

Raxus said:

We still might be pissed! Maybe after this countdown GLaDoS will require 30k users playing Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby for 3 hours.

Epix

DaBuddaDa said:
It's counting down about 10 potatos a second. At this rate we'll reach 0 potatos at about the same time as the countdown.

She's gonna start chuggin potato here in a minute

Top Bottom