• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
butter_stick said:
People are coming out of the ARG with a lot of free games.

I mean, for that reason alone, it's a great, great ARG, even if Glados@Home was BS
I agree most ARGs have little to nothing at the end.

TheExodu5

Banned
shagg_187 said:
I'm sorry Firehead...

CYJQO.jpg

That's me too. :(

MThanded said:
So no one enjoyed the ARG? I understand people are frustrated but I enjoyed looking at the files and clues and wondering what was around the bend. I think its really unfair to say that. You are just being highly inflammatory for no reason. There are a lot of people who have a really positive experience along the way. Maybe I am the only one in the world who thinks this.

The ARG was GOLDEN. Almost got me in trouble at work, too. :lol The final bit......not so much. Again, because the ARG hinted at a real early release and what Master Race got in return was this junk.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Ah, I restarted Steam and Condition Zero was added to my account. Seems the availability of the Complete Pack will not affect the games you receive.

Condition Zero is shit, but hey, it was free. :p

Palmer_v1

Opiate said:
I didn't do the renaming, but the implication should be obvious.

This ARG gave people the illusion of control: that through playing a variety of other independently developed games, players had the opportunity to release Portal 2 more rapidly.

It is clear, now, that audience participation does not actually have any effect, and that we all could have literally done nothing but watch and the result would have been identical.

That is not satisfying. Being given the illusion of control when your input is actually meaningless is frustrating in virtually any context. I'm not sure why that's confusing to people.

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic
(Today, 11:10 PM)

Sent

Fredescu said:
Peoples complaints are entirely with the final phase of the ARG. Prior to the first big countdown, the ARG was pretty cool.

Releasing a game hours before official release makes you feel like you wasted your time. Can't really argue with that. While I'm not bitter, it's still kind of silly.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Fredescu said:
Peoples complaints are entirely with the final phase of the ARG. Prior to the first big countdown, the ARG was pretty cool.
OK fair enough. I just think that people saying this was all one big scam are really blowing it out of proportion.

They could have handled the end better but like they said on the Rebel FM podcast there is a good chance EA did not want the game releasing too early to cut into actual midnight release and brick and mortar sales. I initially thought friday was a possibility too but it really makes little sense for a company to release their game so early and wipe out sales of physical copies.

Fuck, getting my golden potato with 25 minutes to spare (and saving Amnesia's DLC til last!) about gave me a heart attack. Kinda not convinced it was worth it, though..

Symphonic

speculawyer said:
So the Golden Potato people got Portal 2 a couple hours early?

And Condition Zero? Wow. What a let down.

Valve Complete Pack. People are just saying Condition Zero because the people who bothered to get the potato most likely have all the Valve games already.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
speculawyer said:

And they got that copy of Portal 2 early if they didn't buy it already. AND the Valve complete pack.

TheExodu5

Banned
speculawyer said:

It gave us a free copy of the Valve Complete Pack and Portal 2. The thing is...some of us already owned everything in those packs (except CZ for me and Firehead).

I mean...the Valve Complete Pack I can understand...but at least give me something since I was nice enough to pre-order a copy of Portal 2. :(

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
speculawyer said:

They get in early and they get every Valve game ever made. It's just some people already own most of them and the only games they don't have yet are Condition Zero and the like.

Portal 2 skins are the new TF2 Hats for promotional items. I ain't even mad.

Co-op vanity store makes me think we're going to be getting a lot of additional co-op content. You're not going to sell a lot of stuff for a game that doesn't have longevity.

ferr

speculawyer said:

Well they get the entire valve collection, but if you have everything but condition zero already, then yeah.

Cartman86

Banned
speculawyer said:

lol no.

People who got every potato got a copy of every Valve game, plus just got their copy of Portal 2 unlocked. In less than 15 minutes the rest of us will get it unlocked it seems. Which would be around 10 hours ahead of the "scheduled release". Though in the past Valve has released games at midnight so if you think it should have come out then then we get the game less than 3 hours early.

Gonna have close to 50,000 potatoes just lying around when this is over.

Edit:

Nappuccino said:
potatoes refuse to drop below 58,000- keep jumping back up to 63,000

..ok, more than 50,000. Or less. GOD EVEN THE POTATOES ARE FAKE

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Even this last part of the ARG would have been good if it hadn't been rigged. If there was an actual chance that we'd get the game released for real early instead of "still on the release date but earlier than the false time we claimed" early, it would've been fine.

Top Bottom