• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Orellio said:
The only person in the entire thread with a golden potato who hadn't preordered yet.
So wait, people got a FREE copy of Portal 2 for simply buying the Indie pack? THE FUCK?

MThanded said:
And people are calling valve scammers.

Fake ARG is like saying ATM machine
Not scammers, but Valve did handle this ARG poorly when it turned into a snail race.

ultron87 said:
So the few crazy people who played a bunch of games to release a game they hadn't bought got said game for free? Nice.

Thank god they did that. I bet a lot of those people had preordered already though. Do they get their cash back?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
God's Beard said:
Exactly. Valve only goes for the easy goodwill gestures.

Lots of Steam dollars.

Sometimes you have got to be joking.

Got a complete pack too. I never had CS: Source, go figure. And I never played a single one of those expansions for HL, maybe I'll give them a shot sometime.

EDIT: Oh. Right. Portal 2 would have been part of the pack. No way I get my preorder cash back, right?

Exuro

ultron87 said:
So the few crazy people who played a bunch of games to release a game they hadn't bought got said game for free? Nice.
Sucks for those that bought both though and got the golden potato.

1302115750_BOTTOM__04516h38m03.jpg

Cartman86

Banned
DoctorWho said:
What early release? It's launch day and the game is still not out. People can grab it at midnight launches before us.

Valve setup a bullshit rigged contest to get people to buy product. It's that simple. The games in the potato pack might be great but the ARG was bullshit.

When Valve releases games on Steam at midnight times is it East Coast time? If anything it would be midnight where they are located (PST).

DKo5 said:
You guys who received the Valve Pack - its possible you actually received a coveted Valve Steam Key. That would give you all Valve games on Steam as soon as they're released. Very cool indeed!

If true, this makes me very sad that I didn't chase after the golden potato D:

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Slavik81 said:
Valve Complete Pack
Includes 22 items: Counter-Strike, Team Fortress Classic, Day of Defeat, Deathmatch Classic, Half-Life: Opposing Force, Ricochet, Half-Life, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, Half-Life: Blue Shift, Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Half-Life: Source, Day of Defeat: Source, Half-Life 2: Deathmatch, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast, Half-Life Deathmatch: Source, Half-Life 2: Episode One, Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode Two, Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead, Left 4 Dead 2

http://store.steampowered.com/app/550/

Basically, every game Valve has ever released.

All of that free?! You people are some lucky people! If they do turn giftable, I am totally open to unwanted games! User name is juan29zapata

Although I'm currently under the alias of The Benefλctor/Aperture's CEO

enzo_gt said:
Your here, Portal 2 released under 12 hours early, slightly earlier for people who got all the potatoes, and they all got the Valve Complete Pack, though ungiftable, free.
Oh, cool...

I'm picking up the PS3 version tomorrow during work sometime anyways. Thought maybe it would unlock some DLC or something.

Cipherr

dangerbyrnes said:
if anyone needs the complete pack it's definitely me.

i have only played counterstrike, portal, and some of half-life.

Yeah shame they arent giftable, I would have traded up for some L4D or something perhaps. Or would have tried to get a copy of CounterStrike. Oh well.

Oreoleo

enzo_gt said:
So wait, people got a FREE copy of Portal 2 for simply buying the Indie pack? THE FUCK?

No dude, for getting all 36 hidden potatoes in those games for the ARG that's been going on the last 2 weeks.

heyf00L

People willing to get the golden Potato probably already owned most of the Valve games.

I didn't, but I own all the Valve games I care to play.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I am kind of glad that the Golden Potato people are getting rewarded for their hard work with free games. Salute to you guys, you deserve it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Forkball said:
Holy shit, TF2 hats wearable in Portal 2? The end times are upon us.

Can I use my Hatless Engineer head on one of those? Hey is still a hat, and a rare one!

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Pookaki said:
So is it safe for me to stay up and wait for Portal 2?

I got 2 potatoes.

The timer hits zero in less than 30 minutes, so it should unlock for everyone pretty soon.

webrunner

It's funny how half the people complain it was faked/rigged/whatever

The other half complain that valve didn't consider how many people would participate, so I guess they didn't fake it hard enough?

KiKaL

Well I am super happy with the deal. I basically got the potato pack and Portal 2 for $38. Sadly the only games I did not have in the Valve Complete pack was CS:CZ : / wish I could gift.

Original-Blue

Neo Member
So its gonna release to everyone who didn't get the golden potato when the timer runs out right? Right?

I'm at work and ill be home in two hours so it'll be available then right? Right?

Any Aussies get it?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Htown said:
I am kind of glad that the Golden Potato people are getting rewarded for their hard work with free games. Salute to you guys, you deserve it.

Nope, it's just an elaborate Valve troll. How many people who got the Golden Potato do you think didn't already own the majority of those games? I'm guessing around 3-5%

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Orellio said:
No dude, for getting all 36 hidden potatoes in those games for the ARG that's been going on the last 2 weeks.
Still, THATs an amazing reward, but quite a safe one on Valve's part.

Indecisive about this ARG now. The majority of it was shit but the "surprises" are alright.

Opiate

I didn't do the renaming, but the implication should be obvious.

This ARG gave people the illusion of control: that through playing a variety of other independently developed games, players had the opportunity to release Portal 2 more rapidly.

It is clear, now, that audience participation does not actually have any effect, and that we all could have literally done nothing but watch and the result would have been identical.

That is not satisfying. Being given the illusion of control when your input is actually meaningless is frustrating in virtually any context. I'm not sure why that's confusing to people.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The projected launch time may increase when Defense Grid finishes. I don't think Amnesia is going to finish in ~27 minutes.

darthbob

KiKaL said:
Well I am super happy with the deal. I basically got the potato pack and Portal 2 for $38. Sadly the only games I did not have in the Valve Complete pack was CS:CZ : / wish I could gift.

Well, at least you had some fun, right?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
On a side note TRU has a good deal for those interested in picking up portal 2 and mortal kombat tommorow. I think I might try to grab that deal.

I know people are upset but the ride was fun for me at least. I followed a long even though I was not really hard pressed for an early release. Too bad it seems there was no chance to release it over the weekend. I understand the frustration but I think some of it is overblown.

Opiate said:

This ARG gave people the illusion of control: that through playing a variety of other independently developed games, players had the opportunity to release Portal 2 more rapidly.

It is clear, now, that audience participation does not actually have any effect, and that we all could have literally done nothing but watch and the result would have been identical.

That is not satisfying. Being given the illusion of control when your input is actually meaningless is frustrating in virtually any context. I'm not sure why that's confusing to people.

Very well put.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Opiate said:

Opiate
Depressingly Realistic

Had to do it, man.

But is this teasing use for the next Half-Life?! You know as how G-Man seems to give choice but in reality is all a complex illusion...

Top Bottom