• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve's fake, rigged, waste of time Progress Quest troll Portal 2 ARG

Joe Molotov

ZombieSupaStar said:
what if they had preordered portal 2 already?

pRbie.jpg

MThanded said:
OK fair enough. I just think that people saying this was all one big scam are really blowing it out of proportion.

They could have handled the end better but like they said on the Rebel FM podcast there is a good chance EA did not want the game releasing too early to cut into actual midnight release and brick and mortar sales. I initially thought friday was a possibility too but it really makes little sense for a company to release their game so early and wipe out sales of physical copies.

It is entirely within reason to argue that it was one big scam from start to finish. They could not have made the end without having set up the ARG the way they did. But now I digress, since it's release time. Better save up the arguments for the next big marketing....Half Life 3.

LProtag

So the best case scenario would have been to not preorder Portal 2, get the golden potato, but then you would have had to wait to download from right around now.

Though obviously no one could have known that. And you'd have to wait a while to play it.

KaYotiX

Banned
Sent said:
Releasing a game hours before official release makes you feel like you wasted your time. Can't really argue with that. While I'm not bitter, it's still kind of silly.

True, i was kinda expecting it to release Noon today but all this bullshit Valve pulled made anymore ARGs a waste of anyones time. Nobody will even bother

jambo

Defense Grid just jumped to within a bees dick of finishing!

EDIT: And the Aux Potatoes just jumped back up above 63k

ultron87

Htown said:
Even this last part of the ARG would have been good if it hadn't been rigged. If there was an actual chance that we'd get the game released for real early instead of "still on the release date but earlier than the false time we claimed" early, it would've been fine.

We don't actually know that it wasn't rigged. It could've just turned out that the specific number of people who participated made it end up at this time.

*does the whistle from Always Look on the Bright Side of Life*

Symphonic

Confused about all the complaints. The point of getting the potatoes, I thought, was to have fun. Yet everyone is bitching that they wasted their time on them and got free stuff? Huh?

L00P

Never really participated in the ARG (I only tried to get one potato; and that one involved dying a few times), but it was fun following it. To all who participated: I salute you! And thanks for the laugh X)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The timer is a lie. Valve just gave Golden Potato owners first dibs and is doing a rolling unlock for people basically.

Fredescu

IchigoSharingan said:
It is entirely within reason to argue that it was one big scam from start to finish.
The start was just puzzles and free content added to a bunch of games. That's not a scam. That's cool free stuff.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Crap there's already one person in my friends list who is playing it!

IT'S KILLING ME!

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Why the fuck are people still posting if they have the game? get off GAF and play the godddamn game....we can talk later...ggggeeeeeeeez. *que final countdown again*

sflufan

Banned
Mr. Spinnington said:
still no decryption? you must be kidding

literally feeling left out thanks to 90% of my active friends being in-game right now ;[

Exit and restart Steam -- that started my decryption.

corn_fest

loblaw said:
Confused about all the complaints. The point of getting the potatoes, I thought, was to have fun. Yet everyone is bitching that they wasted their time on them and got free stuff? Huh?
It's awesome that we got free stuff. I'm a little miffed that I essentially wasted $40, though, since I would have gotten Portal for free anyway.

Top Bottom